Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭George White

New Home wrote: »
    That sounds so surreal, I'd love to hear that story!
    Well, I was on the Dart. I heard this English girl across from metalking about writing. And I asked. And she said she was a writer. I asked her name. Ishiguro? "Any relation to Sir Kazuo?" "Yes." And thus I told her that I was a member of a group of people looking for this short he'd written. She knew ofthe Gourmet, but said he had no copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The Gourmet starring Charles Gray

The final credit says it was made in association with SPECTRE.

Charles Gray was head of them when he was Blofeld in Bond! I wonder if it was a nod to this and the storyline

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Charles Gray also popped up in The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes as easy living French detective Valmont:

And this is the eerie Donald Pleasance episode:

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

I want to just do a plug for the Talking Pictures TV channel. It's on Freeview in the UK so should be available FTA here .

It's speciality is old British films mainly , but also a lot of old TV shows from the ITV regions from the sixties/seventies/eighties.

The channel is run by a father and daughter based out of a shed at the back of their house belive it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

cml387 wrote: »
    I want to just do a plug for the Talking Pictures TV channel. It's on Freeview in the UK so should be available FTA here .
    It's speciality is old British films mainly , but also a lot of old TV shows from the ITV regions from the sixties/seventies/eighties.
    The channel is run by a father and daughter based out of a shed at the back of their house belive it or not.

Alas I don't have a satellite... and I read on another site Talking Pictures are about to show the Lytton series with Peter Bowles as a journalist in 80s London of which I have only seen the pilot :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I just saw something on Nationwide about the Spanish Armada and it sparked a memory of a one off RTE drama aimed at children. I think it was produced to mark the anniversary so I'd say shown in 1988. Main character was a young boy aged about 12/13 in contemporary Mayo or Sligo who learns about the Spanish sailors being wrecked on the Irish coast in history class and there were a lot of scenes set on the beaches there. I think there might have been some kind of supernatural element. The final scene was a Spanish sailor from the Armada struggling in the waves trying to reach the shore and I think calling out the boys name. Maybe he was a ghost, my memory of it is hazy. Anyone else remember this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I remember this, I was thinking again about it a few years ago and had it mixed up as an episode of Tales Of The Unexpected.

Tales of the Unexpected is on SkyArts every weekday at 1pm. Two episodes a day, they’re a bit dated but brilliant stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

A lot of them were adapted from Roald Dahl's short stories weren't they.

A lot of them were adapted from Roald Dahl's short stories weren't they.

Yes, in the early series he used to do these monologues to camera at the start of each episode to introduce the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Yes, in the early series he used to do these monologues to camera at the start of each episode to introduce the story.

Which reminds me of an earlier Anglia Televsion production: "Orson Welles Great Mysteries" with a cracking theme tune by John Barry apparently. Something similar (maybe the inspiration for) Tales of the unexpected, thirty minute tales of mystery toppped and tailed by the great man himself

• Advertisement

The Signal Box, a one off comedy short shown on RTE in either 95 or 96 with Sean Hughes and David Kelly as two railway signalmen and set entirely in the signalbox. It was a remake of a 1960s version where David Kelly had played the younger character alongside Jimmy O Dea (think this version was long since wiped). I keep hoping someone who recorded it will upload the 90s version to Youtube.

The Signal Box, a one off comedy short shown on RTE in either 95 or 96 with Sean Hughes and David Kelly as two railway signalmen and set entirely in the signalbox. It was a remake of a 1960s version where David Kelly had played the younger character alongside Jimmy O Dea (think this version was long since wiped). I keep hoping someone who recorded it will upload the 90s version to Youtube.
    That reminds me of when they used to put on spooky ghost stories on Christmas Eve, BBC2 or BBC4 still do somethimes. They had The Signalman with Denholm Elliot a couple of years ago. Excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

cml387 wrote: »
    Which reminds me of an earlier Anglia Televsion production: "Orson Welles Great Mysteries" with a cracking theme tune by John Barry apparently. Something similar (maybe the inspiration for) Tales of the unexpected, thirty minute tales of mystery toppped and tailed by the great man himself

The Monkey's Paw episode scared the pants off a very young me, stuck in my brain for ever. No better man that Cyril Cusack to do the scaring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0592522/

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin with the great Leonard Rossiter.
    There was also a so-so remake with Martin Clunes in the role that seemed to sink without a trace.

The Monkey's Paw episode scared the pants off a very young me, stuck in my brain for ever. No better man that Cyril Cusack to do the scaring.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0592522/

Great episode, I remember well the story intro Roald Dahl told at the start about giving a lift to a couple of hippies who then stole his car at knife point resulting in him to distrust long haired men.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Don't know if anybody mentioned
    The Water Margin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I remember the onedin line(something to do with a boat), not for the programme itself I was to young to understand it. It was the theme tune and I guess I'll remember the theme tune til I die. Actually has I got older I enjoyed the theme tune but still have no recollection or interest in the show.

Not a programme I liked as it was bloody awful but I'm trying to remember what this comedy thing shown on RTE circa 2007 was that lasted just one episode, it was a pilot that ended up not getting expanded to a series. All i can remember other than it being not remotely funny was the theme music was by Arcade Fire and a scene where a bunch of fellas with long hair and white make up who looked like death metal fans were threatening one of the main characters and calling him an ass clown.

Not a programme I liked as it was bloody awful but I'm trying to remember what this comedy thing shown on RTE circa 2007 was that lasted just one episode, it was a pilot that ended up not getting expanded to a series. All i can remember other than it being not remotely funny was the theme music was by Arcade Fire and a scene where a bunch of fellas with long hair and white make up who looked like death metal fans were threatening one of the main characters and calling him an ass clown.

Found out what it was. The Roaring Twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Fairly recent but I'm not sure how many watched it
    I was big fan of Monk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Found out what it was. The Roaring Twenties.

I would like to be able to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I would like to be able to see it

Here you go...
    https://youtu.be/HmfvClO4JLM

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

smilerf wrote: »
    Fairly recent but I'm not sure how many watched it
    I was big fan of Monk

I liked Monk but found after a while that the OCD stuff was just taking too much time and slowed down a quite good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Gave up on Monk after Sharona (Bitty Schram) was written out, I found her replacement Natalie (Traylor Howard) rather dull by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Oh No, it's Selwyn Frogitt. I remember my grandmother watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Anyone mention Worzel Gummidge yet? Such a lovely show.

Yes lol. I think I was about 5 when RTE began showing it. I thought at first he was being crucified when it showed him on his post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

yeah, was mentioned a fair few times, even the crowman mentioned it.
    No mention of Worzel Gummidge yet?

I found it creepy and didn't know what was going on half the time. I still say "cup of tea and a slice of cake" the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭thebronze14

I'm sure it was mentioned but someone showed me the genius of Soupy Norman recently!

• Advertisement

I'm sure it was mentioned but someone showed me the genius of Soupy Norman recently!
    Very funny show. Him trying to punch yer man every week :D

Paths to Freedom is another great Irish comedy. Probably the best one RTE ever did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adv4XGIhlzo

Advertisement