Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Commish, late night saccharine, super-sweet drama with Michael Chiklis as the total opposite of his later Shield character - the small town police commissioner, loving husband and family man, almost 'Little House on the Prairie' like family, except with the odd bit of gun crime for the Commish to investigate.

Used to be on around 11pm on Friday or Saturday nights, RTE2 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The Commish, late night saccharine, super-sweet drama with Michael Chiklis as the total opposite of his later Shield character - the small town police commissioner, loving husband and family man, almost 'Little House on the Prairie' like family, except with the odd bit of gun crime for the Commish to investigate.

Used to be on around 11pm on Friday or Saturday nights, RTE2 I think.

I'd forgotten about that. Watched it a couple of times and didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

One man and His Dog. we were easily amused back then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭DK224

RMAOK wrote: »
    Thou shalt not kill - I can't remember the guy's name who presented it (might be Kieran Shannon?).
    Remember watching this as an 11yr old and it haunted my dreams back in the day! Really well done show, would love to rewatch it but doesn't seem to be anywhere online

DK224 wrote: »
    Remember watching this as an 11yr old and it haunted my dreams back in the day! Really well done show, would love to rewatch it but doesn't seem to be anywhere online

Cathal O Shannon was the presenter, it ran circa 1994 or 95.

• Advertisement

Who remembers this? The Birthday Show with Shay Healy.

What was the 90s (?) Irish drama where 2 guys and a girl go to England so the girl can get an abortion. They lose track of the girl and go to work on the sites. I think one of the guys was called Bimbo or something similar.
    Very depressing but great show all the same.

In one scene they are sleeping rough and one of the guys sleep-runs naked down the street. In another they chase a guy who broke a window in the Irish centre and give him a kicking.

What was the 90s (?) Irish drama where 2 guys and a girl go to England so the girl can get an abortion. They lose track of the girl and go to work on the sites. I think one of the guys was called Bimbo or something similar.
    Very depressing but great show all the same.

In one scene they are sleeping rough and one of the guys sleep-runs naked down the street. In another they chase a guy who broke a window in the Irish centre and give him a kicking.

Was it the Truth About Claire?

Was it the Truth About Claire?

No, it was a fictional miniseries. One of the lads got killed on the site when a trench he was digging collapsed on him (Bimbo I think).
    Very dark and gritty show it was, i don't think it has ever been repeated. It got hassle from the RCC at the time as I recall.

No, it was a fictional miniseries. One of the lads got killed on the site when a trench he was digging collapsed on him (Bimbo I think).
    Very dark and gritty show it was, i don't think it has ever been repeated. It got hassle from the RCC at the time as I recall.

I found it, O Mary This London it is called. Not on youtube but :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I found it, O Mary This London it is called. Not on youtube but :(

It was part of the BBC Screen Two series of once off dramas.
    Some great entries in the series. Dont think they were ever repeated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Two

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It was part of the BBC Screen Two series of once off dramas.
    Some great entries in the series. Dont think they were ever repeated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_Two

Bummer I'd love to see it again.

Whats funny about watching old shows on Youtube is that I now watch the ads for their nostalgic quality instead of fast forwarding.
    Especially if they are American ads.
    So cheesy.
    Plus if you look closely you can see future stars in clips.

My only regret I cannot purchase the products at the advertised prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Some of Play for Today were excellent:

- Abigail's Party
    - Nuts in May
    - Boys from the Black Stuff

Also

- Flintstones
    - Tom and Jerry
    - Strangely an episode of Magpie where Susan Stranks went bra-less
    - Z Cars
    - The Sweeney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

The BFI are releasing a volume 1 Play for Today box set, features an Irish-set play, Your Man from Six Counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭corks finest

Purgative wrote: »
    Some of Play for Today were excellent:

- Abigail's Party
    - Nuts in May
    - Boys from the Black Stuff

Also

- Flintstones
    - Tom and Jerry
    - Strangely an episode of Magpie where Susan Stranks went bra-less
    - Z Cars
    - The Sweeney

B f the blackstuff execellent, caught that ****e period for employment perfectly, was in the same situation, that and Aufwiedershen pet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Purgative wrote: »
    - Z Cars
    - The Sweeney

Some early 70s Z Cars came out on DVD a few years back but stalled. We also got all the colour episodes (20) of Dixon Of Dock Green. A series that was very underrated and downbeat in its final years.

Currently rewatching the final series of both The Sweeney and Special Branch on DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Something i've not seen in over 30 years and was thought to be lost but a copy has shown up on Youtube in the last year.

The Gourmet starring Charles Gray as a gourmet who's sampled almost everything the world has to offer whose interest is piqued when he's told it's possible to catch, and eat, a ghost.

Think it was shown twice on RTE back in the day.

The unusual subject matter reminds me of an episode of The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes called The Horse of the Invisible.
    It starred Donald Pleasance as investigator Carnacki.
    The plot was as ethereal and bizarre as the title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Some early 70s Z Cars came out on DVD a few years back but stalled. We also got all the colour episodes (20) of Dixon Of Dock Green. A series that was very underrated and downbeat in its final years.

Currently rewatching the final series of both The Sweeney and Special Branch on DVD.

Yes Special Branch was another decent prog. I also enjoyed Callan.

I did try the new Sweeney (Ray Winstone, plausibleish and PlanB NFW ever) - I only lasted 8 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The Sweeney is on fairly consistent rotation on ITV4 if you have access to that. I'd often record them and watch it as a guilty pleasure. The sexism and racism are hard to believe, but that was mainstream TV in those days.

Something i've not seen in over 30 years and was thought to be lost but a copy has shown up on Youtube in the last year.

The Gourmet starring Charles Gray as a gourmet who's sampled almost everything the world has to offer whose interest is piqued when he's told it's possible to catch, and eat, a ghost.

Think it was shown twice on RTE back in the day.

I remember this, I was thinking again about it a few years ago and had it mixed up as an episode of Tales Of The Unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Sweeney is on fairly consistent rotation on ITV4 if you have access to that. I'd often record them and watch it as a guilty pleasure. The sexism and racism are hard to believe, but that was mainstream TV in those days.

Reflects the time; the comedies of the era are worse though - still very enjoyable though. Both The Sweeney and The Professionals have stood the test of time and even my wife (who normally only watches “modern” tv) agrees with me. I occasionally watch ITV4 but primary preference is to buy the DVDs. I have picked up a serious number of Network titles since 2004. Great label.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I remember this, I was thinking again about it a few years ago and had it mixed up as an episode of Tales Of The Unexpected.

Yeah it's very like an episode of TOTU or the Twilight Zone.

I would have been very young when it wa on so would have been about 1988-89, they definitely showed it twice because i remember outling the plot to my brother while watching it and him telling me to stop talking bollox!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭George White

I was part of a group who went looking for it everywhere. A chance encounter with Sir Kazuo Ishiguro's daughter on a DART revealed that even the writer himself had no copy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I was part of a group who went looking for it everywhere. A chance encounter with Sir Kazuo Ishiguro's daughter on a DART revealed that even the writer himself had no copy.

That sounds so surreal, I'd love to hear that story!

Clochemerle

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Clochemerle

Even just for Peter Ustinovs narration.

Advertisement