Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

rubadub wrote: »
    wok with yan -got me into chinese cooking.

71UAn7kkCxL._SL1113_.jpg

So what where you "an extremely typical business man" or "a not so typical and extremely curvaceous batchlorette"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Strange Luck

Brimstone

Reaper

eagle eye wrote: »
    Man from Atlantis, Patrick Duffy and his webbed hands.
    Used to be on Saturday mornings on RTE.
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Since we're on a "Man" theme here, Man about the house:- probably totally sexist if show today but a popular sitcom in its day.

Starred richard O' sullivan - I was wondering what happened him. Apparently he suffered a stroke in 2003 and has been in an actors retirement home ever since- he was recently pictured in the background of a photo when Megan Markle went a visiting the place a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Man About The House was brilliant. The two ladies were crackers. Loved the spin-offs Robin's Nest and George & Mildred.

Brian Murphy who played George Roper is still acting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Since we're on a "Man" theme here, Man about the house:- probably totally sexist if show today but a popular sitcom in its day.

Starred richard O' sullivan - I was wondering what happened him. Apparently he suffered a stroke in 2003 and has been in an actors retirement home ever since- he was recently pictured in the background of a photo when Megan Markle went a visiting the place a few months ago.

And Three's a company (which was the American version of it) starred John Ritter who died of a dissection of the aorta while filming "8 simple rules".

IIRC, Man About The House was a spin off of George and Mildred - EDIT: Or the other way around. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

threes company was a US version of man about the house. Used to love it, was on sky one.

^^beaten to it!

Also it has spinoffs,
    The show also spawned similar spin-offs that Man About the House had: The Ropers and Three's a Crowd, based upon George and Mildred and Robin's Nest, respectively.

I only remember seeing the ropers.

New Home wrote: »
    And Three's a company (which was the American version of it) starred John Ritter who died of a dissection of the aorta while filming "8 simple rules".

:eek:

Considering he's still alive, I think Richard O' Sullivan got the better deal :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Apparently at first they thought it was a "simple" heart attack, the dissection wasn't noticed until it was too late. Had they spotted it on time, he probably would've made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

Monkey magic or magic monkey I loved it too, Chinese I think and driving clouds around!

This has reminded me another show centred around people living together- about two girls who lived together throughout the 70s' - The Liver Birds - a sort of female equivalent of The Likely Lads. I only vaguely remember watching it but watch it I did- intro music very annoying :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Obscure MTV Reality Show called 'Totally Boyband' which featured five ex boy/pop band singers trying to form a supergroup and fail miserably. (Dane Bowers, Jimmy from 911, Lee from Steps, Bradley SClub7 and Danny NKOTB. The others booted out Lee from Steps out, his departure was by no means a Tragedy)

MTV were all over this with spin off shows and everything but their song failed and they split up. It was car crash with the guys trying their best but being let down by a rubbish record company who couldn't get their song on ITunes or into the Record Shops

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totally_Boyband

This is old TV programme I liked but no one else remembers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The last few posts are UK comedy gold and not the bloody channel either. David Kelly in Robins Nest with one arm. Loved it!

Give my head peace

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Etc

Battle of the Planets
    Space 1999
    Pitkins
    The Machine Gunners
    Gods wonderful Railway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

MASK... late 80s cartoon with an associated toy range.

The USP was that the heroes and villains had vehicles that could switch modes e.g. car into a helicopter or boat or into a tank.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Good Old Days, a music hall show with everyone in Edwardian costume, including the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Star Fleet (X-Bomber) (Wikipedia)

Here's the intro.

I had this stored away in my brain, muddled up with memories of Terrahawks (Wikipedia) and/or a Gerry Anderson (Wikipedia) production of some sort.

A bit more exotic than the usual, a dubbed Japanese import.

I watched this Saturday mid-morning, usually before the weekend sport coverage on ITV kicked off.

Umm.. I have vague memories of the band Sigue Sigue Sputnik (Wikipedia) using footage in one or two promo videos, years later.

I was obsessed with robots at the time, 'Goldorak' and Battle of the Planets meant that if you wandered along to the likes of The Hobby Horse toy shop, in the Killiney Shopping Center, the window was just wall to wall robots and Japanese Mecha of various sorts at the time.

Mostly 'Shogun' Robots. (Google Search)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century; it was my first introduction to science fiction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Once upon a time... Space (Wikipedia)

BBC2 had this strangely, umm, RTE2 had it also, it was a long saga.. Great ships, great audio, very European.

I was buying 2000AD and I grew up on the likes of Valerian (Wikipedia) at home, so, this was right up my street. I loved it.

Great intro. (English)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Good Old Days, a music hall show with everyone in Edwardian costume, including the audience.

Had a run on BBC4 last year, Friday nights at 8pm to 9. Had to find something else to watch once TOTP finished at 8 and normal service resumed at 9pm:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

If I remember correctly, it was shown on Anything Goes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭RMAOK

Biker mice from Mars

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bubblypop wrote: »
    I used to love 'monkey ' or 'monkey magic'
    Can't even remember the name!!
    No one remembers it, I think it was Japanese. I loved it so much when I was a kid! Late 70s or early 80s!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Wanderley wagon

Crackajack

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Booms

Dick Spanner

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0164252/videoplayer/vi1547829273?ref_=vp_pl_0http://

Gerry Anderson stop motion series divided into five/ten minute (?) sections.
    Was shown on Channel 4's "yoof" programme on Sundays at midday.Can't remember it's actual name - Network (something)

DS was just a relentless series of puns, spoofing the hard boiled PI genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

branie2 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, it was shown on Anything Goes

Yup .... for us plebs with poverty 1 & 2 .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

No mention of Worzel Gummidge yet?

I loooved him, but I guess lots of people would remember him too, just like they'd remember Bagpuss.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I finally found one I was looking for The Water Margin. Couldn't remember the name only some of the Characters and even then couldn't spell the Chinese names.

Chinese martial arts series a bit like a chinese version of a cowboy BBC ran in 1976/7. Think it was on quite late as I can remember staying up to watch it.

Advertisement