Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Does anyone remember what the Irish sitcom was from about 20 years ago. It was set in a language class with foreigners learning english.

The teacher was a real annoying eejit and he was was always trying to pick up one of the female students but she didn't want to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Does anyone remember what the Irish sitcom was from about 20 years ago. It was set in a language class with foreigners learning english.

The teacher was a real annoying eejit and he was was always trying to pick up one of the female students but she didn't want to know.

Was it the utterly brutal 'The English Class'? About 2006/7.
    Up there with Upwardly Mobile, The Cassidys and other such dross.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Speedsie wrote: »
    Was it the utterly brutal 'The English Class'? About 2006/7.
    Up there with Upwardly Mobile, The Cassidys and other such dross.

I actually rang RTÉ to complain about the Cassidy’s. Pure drivel if I remember right they billed it as the Irish friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Very few people I ask remember Wild Palms from 1993 - I know ominous visions of the future are ten a penny now but they weren't as much then. Quite prophetic too - "deals with the dangers of politically motivated abuse of mass media technology" :eek:

I remember a good bit of hype about it, as Oliver Stone and Kathryn Bigelow were involved. It got hailed as fodder to fill the gap left by Twin Peaks too. I was a bit young to watch it at the time but I would catch snippets before going to bed and thought it looked great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms

• Registered Users Posts: 27,996 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very few people I ask remember Wild Palms from 1993 - I know ominous visions of the future are ten a penny now but they weren't as much then. Quite prophetic too - "deals with the dangers of politically motivated abuse of mass media technology" :eek:

I remember the look and ambience of it but not a clue what it was about!
    Wasn't sure about James Belushi as the lead for it either.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That was it cheers! and I see it was Belvedere not Clontarf.

Load of episodes on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Upmob/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Long shot but does anyone remember a show about a teacher and his secondary school students set in Dublin around 93-95, maybe earlier, I think Jim Sheridan was the teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Long shot but does anyone remember a show about a teacher and his secondary school students set in Dublin around 93-95, maybe earlier, I think Jim Sheridan was the teacher.

Finbar's Class, I think

https://stillslibrary.rte.ie/indexplus/image/2263/016.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

salmocab wrote: »
    I actually rang RTÉ to complain about the Cassidy’s. Pure drivel if I remember right they billed it as the Irish friends.

All I remember about the Cassidys was there was a teaser promo in the run up to it introducing the different characters, one of the female characters appeared in it saying "sex, sex, sex!" in a sort of Mrs Doyle voice. In the opening episode, the only one I watched, the same female character was seen getting off with Ed Byrne, much to my shock as I thought she was supposed to be his sister.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Skid X wrote: »

Yup that was it cheers :D.

• Advertisement

I remember a good bit of hype about it, as Oliver Stone and Kathryn Bigelow were involved. It got hailed as fodder to fill the gap left by Twin Peaks too. I was a bit young to watch it at the time but I would catch snippets before going to bed and thought it looked great.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Palms

I remember the hype around it but I didn't get to see it, still haven't seen it in fact. Must put it on my to do list.

Skid X wrote: »
    That school must have been in Carrigstown, a few Fair City ones among the students.

Love Is The Drug, comedy/drama set in Drogheda from 2004. It only lasted one series, wasnt bad. A young Ruth Negga was in it. Had some good character actors like Eamon Hunt as the father of the main lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭cml387

OK here's an old one that will probably never get shown again for reasons I'll describe later.

Scotch On The Rocks, a BBC drama series based on the book by Andrew Osmand and Douglas Hurd (yes, became Foreign Secretary) is set in a near future from 1973 when Scottish Independence is becoming a real possibility and the SNP have won a large number of seats,but not majority of seats, in Scotland.

In the background there is a militant group of separatists who are willing to use terrorist tactics to force independence,and also the loyalty of Scottish regiments cannot be depended upon.

It was an excellent political thriller but the suggestion in the series that here were links between the SNP and terrorists caused a storm, even though the SNP were a shadow of the party and organisation they are now. The BBC agreed never to show the series again such was the furore.

cml387 wrote: »
    OK here's an old one that will probably never get shown again for reasons I'll describe later.

Scotch On The Rocks, a BBC drama series based on the book by Andrew Osmand and Douglas Hurd (yes, became Foreign Secretary) is set in a near future from 1973 when Scottish Independence is becoming a real possibility and the SNP have won a large number of seats,but not majority of seats, in Scotland.

In the background there is a militant group of separatists who are willing to use terrorist tactics to force independence,and also the loyalty of Scottish regiments cannot be depended upon.

It was an excellent political thriller but the suggestion in the series that here were links between the SNP and terrorists caused a storm, even though the SNP were a shadow of the party and organisation they are now. The BBC agreed never to show the series again such was the furore.

Would love to see it. Did you watch original broadcast? My cousin (15 years older than me) saw it at the time. Goes well with the following two series: The Guardians and 1990.

Some brief footage -

Yes I saw it . Riveting TV, especially the last episode.

Yes I saw it . Riveting TV, especially the last episode.

Shame it has been suppressed; have read the book. Looks like episodes 1, 4 and 5 survive but not 2 & 3. Presume it wasn't sold to any TV companies outside of UK so no chance of a copy from that source.

I never saw 1990, I was a student in digs and didn't have access to the channels.

I have read about it and it seems like a good watch, and does exist in full on DVD releases.

It's on Youtube!!

I never saw 1990, I was a student in digs and didn't have access to the channels.

I have read about it and it seems like a good watch, and does exist in full on DVD releases.

It's on Youtube!!

Definitely worth it. I bought the two DVD sets,

Definitely worth it. I bought the two DVD sets,

Somehow very ironic that the problem is people trying to leave Britain illegally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Remember watching this when I was little - was way too young. Loved it though! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherworld_(TV_series)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Does anyone remember 'The Beachcombers' - used to be on RTE in 70's maybe 80's. Must have a look and see if I can find any clips or episodes. I think it was Canadian.

a85ac8ce7f0ce6aac888ac321226489e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Salvage 1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvage_1

Murphys Mirco quizm

Automan

The Edison Twins

Streethawk

Manimal

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Does anyone remember 'The Beachcombers' - used to be on RTE in 70's maybe 80's. Must have a look and see if I can find any clips or episodes.
    Yeah it was mentioned a few times in this thread, I remember the floating logs and little else!

• Registered Users, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Does anyone remember 'The Beachcombers' - used to be on RTE in 70's maybe 80's. Must have a look and see if I can find any clips or episodes. I think it was Canadian.

Sure do , loved it when i was a kid!!;)

Not sure if it's been mentioned already.....Due South?

Excellent theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Rescue. It was a fly on the wall series on Scottish TV filmed in 1998 but not shown until 1991 as a mark of respect as one of the episodes covered the Piper Alpha disaster.

It covered the work of the RAF search and rescue helicopters and mountain rescue.

I remember it because the soundtrack was great and it was the first TV series to show real death. We are use to it now but it was groundbreaking at the time.

Warning.. The link is the episode that covers Piper Alpha.

Grid. wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned already.....Due South?

Excellent theme tune.

Some great appearances by Leslie Nielsen as Benton's superior, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Rescue. It was a fly on the wall series on Scottish TV filmed in 1998 but not shown until 1991 ]

Well,that was quite the trick :p

• Advertisement

Some great appearances by Leslie Nielsen as Benton's superior, too.

And Diefenbaker.......what a dog!!!!:P

N0BnXu3.jpg?1

Advertisement