Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV programmes you liked but no one else remembers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

About Worzel Gummidge, how could you be scared of someone who had a nest of robins for a heart, I ask you?! Plus, his unrequited love for that awful b*itch Aunt Sally... Una Stubbs was great in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

New Home wrote: »
    About Worzel Gummidge, how could you be scared of someone who had a nest of robins for a heart, I ask you?! Plus, his unrequited love for that awful b*itch Aunt Sally... Una Stubbs was great in that role.

Worzel Gummidge is the most sinister character ever to be on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

salmocab wrote: »
    Worzel Gummidge is the most sinister character ever to be on tv.

No, that would be his nemesis Dafthead. Only appeared in two episodes but the cause of many a nightmare.

EKi3R4TXsAQnuU2.jpg

No, that would be his nemesis Dafthead. Only appeared in two episodes but the cause of many a nightmare.

EKi3R4TXsAQnuU2.jpg

Great now I’m not sleeping tonight.
    Think there was a recent remake with Mackenzie Crook playing the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

branie2 wrote: »
    Robin of Sherwood, theme music by Clannad

On ITV 4 now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

madmaggie wrote: »
    Oh No, it's Selwyn Frogitt. I remember my grandmother watching it.

MAGIC!

Loved the way he would come into the pub and punch his friends' sides causing them to spill their drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,668 ✭✭✭Worztron

Anyone mention Worzel Gummidge yet? Such a lovely show.

Hi MM. Yes, I mentioned a while back. Loved that show. The different heads for various occasions, his Worzelese language, etc. Great memories.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi MM. Yes, I mentioned a while back. Loved that show. The different heads for various occasions, his Worzelese language, etc. Great memories.

Great memories indeed! I even had two Worzel books back in the day.

I still watch it every so often. Have it downloaded but on some episodes the sound is off sync with the picture. Haven't watched any of Worzel Down Under. Can't understand why they had to move it to Oz. Scatterbrook Farm and 10 Acre Field for the win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Only When I laugh. "I'm h-a- pp-y, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm h-a-pp-y". It was dreadful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,297 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Only When I laugh. "I'm h-a- pp-y, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm h-a-pp-y". It was dreadful.

That was the one set in the hospital ward right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Correct, Pawed Rig. It was dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭cml387

Correct, Pawed Rig. It was dire.

Pretty poor and yet starred two superb comedy/straight actors, Peter Bowles and James Bolam.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Username exists

It is on the bbc iplayer and it has 2 episodes.

It's very enjoyable, he wrote, directed and starred as Worzel.

He also done The Detectorists which is very funny and a lot haven't seen it.

It is on the bbc iplayer and it has 2 episodes.

It's very enjoyable, he wrote, directed and starred as Worzel.

He also done The Detectorists which is very funny and a lot haven't seen it.

I presume you meant to quote me there about Mackenzie Crook?
    Yeah the detectorists is a great show and flew under the radar for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I presume you meant to quote me there about Mackenzie Crook?
    Yeah the detectorists is a great show and flew under the radar for many.

Detectorists is fab,one of my favourite s

Detectorists is fab,one of my favourite s

It’s an odd show but the friendship between the two lads is brilliant and the Simon and Garfunkel bits are played very well. Not sure many shows could have got away with being so slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

It’s an odd show but the friendship between the two lads is brilliant and the Simon and Garfunkel bits are played very well. Not sure many shows could have got away with being so slow.
    The relaxed pacing and great soundtrack is the thing that really got me into it, no audience laughing too which would spoil it. Lovely scenery too.

The mayor looking for help to find his lost chain was one of the funniest bits I've seen in a sitcom in ages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

I'm sure it was mentioned but someone showed me the genius of Soupy Norman recently!

Ah yeah, I love Soupy Norman. Genius. Probably the funniest thing RTÉ have ever done (yeah, low bar, I know.) Bonkers, but hilarious. Barry Murphy from Apres Match was involved I think.

Barry Murphy was also involved in Couched. Shown late at night on Network 2 in 1998. Virtually no one I mention it to remembers it. Some of the sketches were proto Soupy Norman, obscure 70s and 80s TV clips with funny voices dubbed over them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭trashcan

Barry Murphy was also involved in Couched. Shown late at night on Network 2 in 1998. Virtually no one I mention it to remembers it. Some of the sketches were proto Soupy Norman, obscure 70s and 80s TV clips with funny voices dubbed over them.

Yeah, I think I saw couched a couple of times. I also Used to like Blizzard of Odd, with Colin Murphy, kind of like Charlie Brooker, but pre dates him.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

The last episode showed the same clips but with their original soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

@last tv was another good show in 1997. Ian O’Doherty presented TV Heaven section.

Here is my upload of Nothing To It from @last tv - another show which many people won’t remember

@last tv was another good show in 1997. Ian O’Doherty presented TV Heaven section.

Here is my upload of Nothing To It from @last tv - another show which many people won’t remember

I remember Nothing To It. Not a lot about the show itself mainly the opening sequence with the guy running into a lamppost.

Just out of interest that 2000AD issue or"prog" came out in December 87 so the show must been shown in Summer of 88.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Never heard of it but if you find footage please share

Never heard of it but if you find footage please share

There are a few episodes on this channel. The episodes are (annoyingly) split up into three part uploads .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

There was a show back in the mid 90's about a couple who win the lotto and move to a posh part of Dublin (can't remember what part, Clontarf maybe? , does anyone remember the name of it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,985 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

There was a show back in the mid 90's about a couple who win the lotto and move to a posh part of Dublin (can't remember what part, Clontarf maybe? , does anyone remember the name of it ?

Upwardly Mobile, starring Niall Buggy:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297664/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_28

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Upwardly Mobile, starring Niall Buggy:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0297664/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_28

That was it cheers! and I see it was Belvedere not Clontarf.

Advertisement