Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 droimlis

I set-up IB account couple of months ago, haven't used it much though as I find UI of degiro mobile app much cleaner....

Does it offer any extra advantage over Degiro?...as I don't want to maintain two accounts.

not as user friendly as degiro but facilitates OTC, pre market and after hours trading

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I set-up IB account couple of months ago, haven't used it much though as I find UI of degiro mobile app much cleaner....

Does it offer any extra advantage over Degiro?...as I don't want to maintain two accounts.

I've been using the desktop version and I find it excellent. I wanted to take some positions in PSTH.U, appeared on IB day of listing, still not on DeGiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Thanks folks, After hours, premarket trading is definitely an advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

AmberGold wrote: »
    I've been using the desktop version and I find it excellent. I wanted to take some positions in PSTH.U, appeared on IB day of listing, still not on DeGiro.

What company are you hoping they invest in? Airbnb or robinhood?
    not sure who else is in the mix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzz5SGpDrc4&t=440s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

AmberGold wrote: »

I sent them a mail about that stock, they said they weren't listing it, sounded like a decision to avoid SPAC warrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Picked up some Grafton Group on LSE just now. Taken a bit of a dip last few days.

Very bullish on their prospects. Woodies is absolutely flying..and SP still only about back to about 60% of what it was pre covid.

Direct competitor Kingfisher (B&Q) SP already comfortably above where it was pre Covid.

But on a side note : Jaysus, €7 in charges between Degiro, Stamp duty etc. LSE are Feckin robbers.

I only bought €400 worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭One More Toy

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Picked up some Grafton Group on LSE just now. Taken a bit of a dip last few days.

Very bullish on their prospects. Woodies is absolutely flying..and SP still only about back to about 60% of what it was pre covid.

Direct competitor Kingfisher (B&Q) SP already comfortably above where it was pre Covid.

But on a side note : Jaysus, €7 in charges between Degiro, Stamp duty etc. LSE are Feckin robbers.

Yes stamp duty in uk/irl is a pain, I used to pick up hibernia reit fairly regularly in small amounts but gave up due to the fees

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ShareShare

bcklschaps wrote: »

Yeah did a 20k transaction yesterday for a quick trade, and got mauled in fees, stamp duty and currency charges. Took 50% of my profit.

ShareShare wrote: »
    Yeah did a 20k transaction yesterday for a quick trade, and got mauled in fees, stamp duty and currency charges. Took 50% of my profit.

Ouch, reading that gave me a physical pain!

• Advertisement

talking about UK companies, anyone watching Hammerson, they're SC owners in UK/EU, Covid-19 has hammered them...They're at thier multi year lows...thier competitor Intu went into adminstration few weeks ago....very risky bet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭riddles

On Degiro is there any general concern with enabling complex shares. I looking at LMND and got this message.

This product group is currently disabled (Complex Shares)
    It seems that you did not enable this product group for trading. You can change this under Product Settings.
    Please note that for some product categories you have to pass an appropriateness test before you can trade. If you already have a position in a product of this product group, you can always close this position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

riddles wrote: »
    On Degiro is there any general concern with enabling complex shares. I looking at LMND and got this message.

This product group is currently disabled (Complex Shares)
    It seems that you did not enable this product group for trading. You can change this under Product Settings.
    Please note that for some product categories you have to pass an appropriateness test before you can trade. If you already have a position in a product of this product group, you can always close this position.

This came up for me the other day. I did the test, got all questions right but I had to manually change my settings to allow me add to a position I already had.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Its some new setting they have. Same as howiya, I have a REIT I buy a few of each month. When adding to it yesterday I was required to do the test before I could enable purchasing REITs (which I've been doing for a year).

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Its some new setting they have. Same as howiya, I have a REIT I buy a few of each month. When adding to it yesterday I was required to do the test before I could enable purchasing REITs (which I've been doing for a year).

I don't understand Degiro sometimes, a reit is hardly a complex product.

Fair enough if you were buying or writing options, or taking short positions it'd be a different story

Draftkings up 5% today, was there any particular news that sent the shares up? Can't see anything in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

I don't understand Degiro sometimes, a reit is hardly a complex product.

Fair enough if you were buying or writing options, or taking short positions it'd be a different story

And the questions weren't exactly complex either. I think one of the 5 was how much could you possibly lose when purchasing a REIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I wonder is the DeGiro step a response to the large numbers of retail accounts in the last few months and concern that the investing/gambling overlap has reemerged.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I wonder is the DeGiro step a response to the large numbers of retail accounts in the last few months and concern that the investing/gambling overlap has reemerged.

I think there has to be a link. The questions they ask aren’t difficult for the likes of the users of this forum who are financially literate and familiar with abbreviations and different types of instruments and associated risks etc. However the lack of sport a couple of months back definitely attracted a different type of user

Also some of the issues in the US with Robinhood traders likely caused some concern in line with the above.

I think there has to be a link. The questions they ask aren’t difficult for the likes of the users of this forum who are financially literate and familiar with abbreviations and different types of instruments and associated risks etc. However the lack of sport a couple of months back definitely attracted a different type of user

Also some of the issues in the US with Robinhood traders likely caused some concern in line with the above.

Yes, didn't a robinhood user die by suicide after seeing a negative 1m balance on his account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Yes, didn't a robinhood user die by suicide after seeing a negative 1m balance on his account?

That's correct. He was trading cfds and his balance was showing 750k in the red or something like that

Watch for Akers Bioscience - A micro-cap, who have been testing covid-19 vaccine in collabration with an Indian Biotech co. I have them from 3.70 they're now currently 5.90, it's been trading around 5 mark last few weeks...They're currently testing on animals...I understand there's tonnes of company's who're working on covid-19 vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

Draftkings up 5% today, was there any particular news that sent the shares up? Can't see anything in particular

Ups and downs and money being placed on the first golf major of the year perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

AIBG seems like a nice price atm

That's correct. He was trading cfds and his balance was showing 750k in the red or something like that

Awful tragedy

What happens in a case like that? Assuming the person cannot hope to fund it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

It was just what was showing. The other part of his transaction which was hedged against it expired after hours.

So the next day he was only down/ or even up a small amount.

Obviously too late as he'd killed himself. :(

Lesson to be learned: research before doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

As far as i understand it he should get margin called once his cash balance drops to a certain figure and if he doesn't add more the trade is closed by the broker.

He was never on the hook for that 750k.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

As far as i understand it he should get margin called once his cash balance drops to a certain figure and if he doesn't add more the trade is closed by the broker.

He was never on the hook for that 750k.

Yes exactly, he would have lost all the money he put as a collateral, but neither him nor Robinhood ever put 730k at risk.

The real problem though is that this type of financial tool should never have been made available to a young beginner who doesn't understand them (especially with so much leverage). And also based on the screenshots fro the App that I saw, it did literaly display "Cash: -$730000" - which isn't very clear (it isn't hard to see how someone inexperiences understood it as having a massive negative balance to repay).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Advertisement