Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

BOOOOOOOOO!!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=3519421

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

As it has been pointed out by others people not everyone is getting tested for covid when they go into the hospital, there is no proof to say the increase in suspected cases is down to hospitals testing people going in for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

mandrake04 wrote: »
    1.4%

Interesting if you compare with state of Victoria’s positivity rate.

Mon 1.59%
    Tue 1.89%
    Wed 2.91%
    Thurs 1.73%

Odd that Melbourne has a similar population to Ireland and despite the relatively similar positivity rates dozens ofpeople have died there over the last few days vs basically none hre.

Steve F wrote: »
    Or the world has more sociopaths than we realized.
    I think that's it TBH.
    People just don't give a sh1t

No, it's just that life has to f*cking go on, if you wanna hide under your bed for the next decade be my guest ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Steve F wrote: »
    Or the world has more sociopaths than we realized.
    I think that's it TBH.
    People just don't give a sh1t

As someone who actively disobeyed Govt. Rules( I went away for a weekend and didn't quarantine when back) I do care. However, instead of quarantining, I wore a mask in the proper places, I kept my movements to a minimum. However, if I had to do something or wanted to do something I went. I went for pints one night outside in a beer garden. I assessed the risk and made my own informed decision about the best course of action.

The reality is this is going to be with us for a long time to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,132 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Does anybody ever wonder how those Bulgarian stawberry pickers are getting on?

Was there something yesterday about a Keelings worker in a Newbridge hotel testing positive on Hot Press

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

No, it's just that life has to f*cking go on, if you wanna hide under your bed for the next decade be my guest ....

You're a sociopath aren't you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭seanb85

spookwoman wrote: »
    As it has been pointed out by others people not everyone is getting tested for covid when they go into the hospital, there is no proof to say the increase in suspected cases is down to hospitals testing people going in for other things.

They're only counted as a suspected case if they have been or are waiting to be admitted and are waiting a on a test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

so why are they in hospital? what other reason?
    Policies seem to vary from hospital to hospital but most hospitals testing all patients being admitted for procedures routinely. Not testing all patients admitted but those admitted for procedures and those with any one of a long list of symptoms.

A certain amount of routine testing/screening allows for:
    Mitigation of risk of spread for elective admissions.
    Protection for other patients and staff
    Protection of environment and equipment.

People admitted with a fever will be tested to exclude the diagnosis but then turn out to have urinary infections, infected ulcers, ‘regular’ chest infections, gastroenteritis and so on. Testing early reduces need to isolate patient and use PPE.

Patients admitted with shortness of breath will be tested but have heart failure, asthma, clots in their lungs.

Patients being transferred from one hospital to another will be tested. Protection for paramedics doing transfer. Reduces possibility of spreading from one hospital to another.

Patients admitted to ICU regardless of the reason will be tested. High risk environment as huge amount of one to one patient time for nurses with extremely close contact for multiple tasks. Also other very sick and therefore already extremely vulnerable patients in typically open bay ICUs. Could be in there after surgery, with sepsis and Covid could finish them off too easily.

All of these waiting swab results so suspected cases although individual level of clinical suspicion for some of those waiting swabs may be extremely low.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The test looks worse than the disease.

Up yer nose to the brain, and down yer throat to the oesophagus. Jaysis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

majcos wrote: »
    Policies seem to very from hospital to hospital but most hospitals testing all patients being admitted for procedures routinely.

Mitigation of risk of spread for elective admissions.
    Protection for other patients and staff
    Protection of environment and equipment.

People admitted with a fever will be tested to exclude the diagnosis but then turn out to have urinary infections, infected ulcers, ‘regular’ chest infections, gastroenteritis and so on. Testing early reduces need to isolate patient and use PPE.

Patients admitted with shortness of breath will be tested but have heart failure, asthma, clots in their lungs.

Patients being transferred from one hospital to another will be tested. Protection for paramedics doing transfer. Reduces possibility of spreading from one hospital to another.

Patients admitted to ICU regardless of the reason will be tested. High risk environment as huge amount of one to one patient time for nurses with extremely close contact for multiple tasks. Also other very sick and therefore already extremely vulnerable patients in typically open bay ICUs. Could be in there after surgery, with sepsis and Covid could finish them off too easily.

All of these waiting swab results so suspected cases although individual level of clinical suspicion for some of those waiting swabs may be extremely low.
    surely the HSE should list separately patients with suspected covid from cautionary testing of patients

As someone who actively disobeyed Govt. Rules( I went away for a weekend and didn't quarantine when back) I do care. However, instead of quarantining, I wore a mask in the proper places, I kept my movements to a minimum. However, if I had to do something or wanted to do something I went. I went for pints one night outside in a beer garden. I assessed the risk and made my own informed decision about the best course of action.

Exactly, you see these idiots running up to people without masks screaming at them (taking off their mask to do so ....) slobbering and spitting about 100000000000000000000 individual covid viruses (if they have it....)

Some people are f*cking loving this sh*t, it finally gives their lives some importance, have you seen the COVID 19 COMPLIANCE OFFICER high vis vest ?

Imagine the dangerous dangerous little Hitler that would want to have that job ?

Type of **** that failed at the police exams, failed at being a bouncer ... and until now was working in Donaghmede shopping center as a bored security guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I had a laugh today, saw some young wan with a mask that had a pseudo smile on it. Was amazing really and looked gas.

We need masks to match our mood or the time of day etc. Make them fun.

Well OK, I'll get back in me box.

A grim reaper mask would be dark and funny at the same time me thinks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

What I don't understand is why essential health services like cancer screening and treatment have been put on hold.

Obviously there is a risk/benefit analysis being made, but it just seems so wrong to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Give over! Most people know how to find a mid ground sensible approach to containing this, without hiding under the bed.

The tough man attitude needs to give way to a grown up response.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

surely the HSE should list separate patients with suspected covid from cautionary testing of patients https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/newsfeatures/covid19-updates/covid19-daily-operations-update-2000-6-august-2020.pdf
    This would seem logical but much easier said than done. Different ‘levels’ of suspicion very hard to define.

Practically it is easier to simply count number of swabs awaiting processing rather than figure out the nuances of every individual case to divide them up into categories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Rimmy

Its okay to be a fun winter is all I'll say.

Its never going away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Was on a staycation in the West the last few days. Hotel went out of its way to comply with best practice. Breakfast and evening meals had to be booked in advance, all staff wearing masks, loads of sanitizers, one way system to keep guests separate. No staff entering rooms during a guests stay.

Went into town, big queues outside restaurants, no masks, no social distancing. Personal responsibility would defeat this virus, some people are ruining this for us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

These meat factories with all their minimum wage staff afraid to ring in sick is a huge problem .
    The rich owners couldn’t give a fcuk about the workers or the covid they can spread as long as the money keeps rolling in . That’s why they employ foreign workers who are unsure of their rights and afraid of the owners sacking them at the drop of a hat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

This would seem logical but much easier said than done. Different ‘levels’ of suspicion very hard to define.

Practically it is easier to simply count number of swabs awaiting processing rather than figure out the nuances of every individual case to divide them up into categories.
    its easy if you are just testing somebody because they in hospital and for no other reason or symptom put that on a separate list.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

spookwoman wrote: »
    People are tested going for other things, that's not really up for debate. The HSE counts swabs awaiting results as suspected cases. There's nothing to really argue about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Exactly, you see these idiots running up to people without masks screaming at them (taking off their mask to do so ....) slobbering and spitting about 100000000000000000000 individual covid viruses (if they have it....)

Some people are f*cking loving this sh*t, it finally gives their lives some importance, have you seen the COVID 19 COMPLIANCE OFFICER high vis vest ?

Imagine the dangerous dangerous little Hitler that would want to have that job ?

Type of **** that failed at the police exams, failed at being a bouncer ... and until now was working in Donaghmede shopping center as a bored security

It's absolutely true. Tyrants, they're the exact sames ones who absolutely revel with the idea that they can justifably let out their anger on the outside words on the grounds of 'public safety' I'm reading a book atm about Nazi Germany called 'Alone in Berlin', and it's full of these sorts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

blackcard wrote: »
    Was on a staycation in the West the last few days. Hotel went out of its way to comply with best practice. Breakfast and evening meals had to be booked in advance, all staff wearing masks, loads of sanitizers, one way system to keep guests separate. No staff entering rooms during a guests stay.

Went into town, big queues outside restaurants, no masks, no social distancing. Personal responsibility would defeat this virus, some people are ruining this for us all

Was always going to be the way.

Next decade?
    You Sir are a Tw+t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

blackcard wrote: »

That hotel sounds like great craic.

Next decade?
    You Sir are a Tw+t

Type of **** that failed at the police exams, failed at being a bouncer ... and until now was working in Donaghmede shopping center as a bored security guard.

Have you seen the movie Paul Blart Mall Cop 😄

I would hope any office is very different to a meat factory.

Depends completely on the employer. Some I've know would be just as bad in terms of how they treat their staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Rimmy wrote: »
    Its okay to be a fun winter is all I'll say.

Its never going away.

You should Tell Oxford and the like to pack in the potential Vaccines so... because Rimmy says so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement