Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

And thats the price people pay for cheap steaks.
    its up to the government to regulate these places properly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I assume so but I've nothing to back that up with. I think people mean self isolation is keep a low profile, wear a mask not stay at home under all circumstances.
    No self isolation means stay at home....at least to me....when I had symptoms back in March I stayed at home for 14 days in a separate bedroom from my husband. I even got a script from chemist delivered and left at door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And you 'know' this because...????
    It's true. I know a fella who worked in the meat factory in Fermoy, Cork that had an outbreak and most of the foreign workers were taking paracetemol.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,630 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    And you 'know' this because...????

I was thinking the same. That's a fairly serious thing to allege about workers in the plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

It's true. I know a fella who worked in the meat factory in Fermoy, Cork that had an outbreak and most of the foreign workers were taking paracetemol.

So it's ok to take paracetamol if you are not feeling well.
    Not ok if you go to work and not feeling well.

• Advertisement

Yeah Bradys with cases too. They are based in Timohoe

Where in Laois is the outbreak? The only Timahoe I knew about was the the one in Laois and assumed that’s where everyone was talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

80 cases in one factory is a huge proportion of the workers. Had they been taking any serious pre cautions at all I wonder?

Operations report is out

12 in hospital, up from 9
    5 in icu, down 1
    1 ventilated, no change.
    3 admissions/confirmed cases - 2 in the Mater and 1 in Drogheda.

Mater (+2) - 3
    Drogheda (+1) - 2
    Tallaght (--) - 2
    Beaumont (--) - 1
    Cavan (--) - 1
    Galway (--) - 1
    Kilkenny (--) - 1
    UHLimerick (--) - 1

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I shall get the hair chopped saturday.

Where in Laois is the outbreak? The only Timahoe I knew about was the the one in Laois and assumed that’s where everyone was talking about

There’s a Timahoe in north Kildare too! That’s where the Bradys Ham is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

seanb85 wrote: »
    About time Government introduced a full sick pay scheme to last through the pandemic, last thing people need to worry about is losing their income if they fall ill.

Not so doing is going to cost us enormous amounts of money anyway, apart from the human cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I had a laugh today, saw some young wan with a mask that had a pseudo smile on it. Was amazing really and looked gas.

We need masks to match our mood or the time of day etc. Make them fun.

Well OK, I'll get back in me box.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,217 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

owlbethere wrote: »
    We can't trust people to do the right thing. It's unfortunate some people are so greedy.

Everyone of us has a responsibility to get this virus under control. I see it as a civil duty to do my bit and keeping close contacts down, maintaining social distancing, practicing hygiene. Stay at home within Ireland. Every one of us has a responsibility going forward.

I do have a confession to make. I got a high temperature last week. I was getting readings of:

These readings were out of the ordinary for me. I was taking daily temperature readings since March. I knew something wasn't right with this. I did get a fright originally thinking covid but I thought chances of covid is probably slim. I have a tooth that's giving me trouble and my gut instinct told me the high readings was dental related and I was right. I wasn't going to self isolate in my room. I needed a dentist. It's an abscess. Self isolation in my room thinking this was virus wasn't going to help me.
    A temperature (which isn't that high tbh) with zero other symptoms you wouldn't get tested even I would think, unless the threshold has changed drastically?
    You knew you had a toothache so it was a pretty good assumption to make.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    2 packs of recently purchased Bradys ham here.

Chances of contamination from packaging or product anyone?
    It's totally up to you but I wouldn't risk it. Unless the raw meat is at a sustained heat for 20 minutes to kill viral and bacterial microbes (and not contaminated afterwards), there is a risk of transfer. As always with meat, you need to be assuming the raw stuff is always contaminated and disinfecting and cleaning meticulously when you're handling it, now more than ever. Personally deli meat strikes me as the most obvious potential source of contamination in a kitchen. I'm unsure about dairy products as well, not being knowledgeable about the processes in that industry... been taking off the top layers of cheese for toasties, disposing of packaging and sticking it in a different container. Probably a lot of people think that the level of caution there is mental but it's just what we're comfortable with and it's no harm using good food storage and hygiene even in your own home, and putting thought into how to handle and keep food, even without a virus.

Weekly or fortnightly (depending on the amount of sandwiches, carbonara or pizzas we make in the week), we buy a hock of ham instead, soak it in water overnight (my granny's trick to draw out the salt) and then boil it the next day, changing the water halfway through. When it's fully cooled, you can cut it into thin slices, put them in airtight containers and stick em in the freezer or fridge, just take em out of the freezer the day before the fridge stuff is due to run out. It's way cheaper than buying that slimy deli ham anyway.

Don't tell too many people that though or there'll be a ham shortage and that would be an atrocity. Although I think most people are absolutely staunchly convinced that there is zero risk from food or shopping anymore, contrary to every logical and scientific indication - there'll probably be no changing people's minds on it, and I'm fine with that too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

People in Laois from my observstion were not taking this seriously last Friday, wonder if their attitudes have changed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Operations report is out

12 in hospital, up from 9
    5 in icu, down 1
    1 ventilated, no change.

3 new cases reported from hosptial labs so 3 admissions. Makes sense, usual see that with most hosptial diagnosed cases.

Stable day hosptial wise

And shock/horror, suspected cases in hospital drop by 70, suspected cases in ICU drop from 14 to 11, with 3 confirmed cases today and none of those in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

gmisk wrote: »
    I am really not sure about the cold and damp, lack of sunlight statement. It is spreading pretty rapidly still in countries that are the opposite
    Internal environment different to atmospheric conditions.

Link below is an extended abstract from a Canadian/UK paper has outlined some of the theories. University of Oxford.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/what-explains-the-high-rate-of-sars-cov-2-transmission-in-meat-and-poultry-facilities-2/

Timahoe in Kildare as well where Bradys is. Not far from Naas

I shall get the hair chopped saturday.

I don’t think the next (if there is any) lockdown are going to like that.
    Zero cases to my knowledge linked to hairdressers etc so what on earth would be the point in locking them down again?
    Time to get serious and targeted and not the virtue signalling “good of everyone” pointless bull****e we endured for 3/4 months with everything zipped shut for no reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I had a laugh today, saw some young wan with a mask that had a pseudo smile on it. Was amazing really and looked gas.

We need masks to match our mood or the time of day etc. Make them fun.

Well OK, I'll get back in me box.

Emoticon Masks

;^)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭harr

Dog food factory Naas
    The chilling in kildare town
    Brady ham in Timahoe
    Two direct provision centres in Laois
    Carroll’s in Tullamore

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whatever way you look at it, this virus is going nowhere is it.

harr wrote: »
    Brady ham in Timahoe
    Carroll’s in Tullamore

Looks like it’s Denny’s ham for the sandwiches for a couple of weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

harr wrote: »
    Dog food factory Naas
    The chilling in kildare town
    Brady ham in Timahoe
    Two direct provision centres in Laois
    Carroll’s in Tullamore

That's it I'm fvcking the ham in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Whatever way you look at it, this virus is going nowhere is it.

And I see that being the case for years, Ireland will only be as good at controlling it as the countries around us which in turn will only be as good as the countries around them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

And shock/horror, suspected cases in hospital drop by 70, suspected cases in ICU drop from 14 to 11, with 3 confirmed cases today and none of those in ICU.
    what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

This is good news. If younger people are the ones getting it, then it could be worse. If everyone is being cautious, including the young when around relatives, this could be good news.

what are you talking about?
    All over RTE and Virgin Media this morning about suspected cases rising in hospitals. Suspected cases =/= they think they have the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

So basically a second lockdown is now possible

Also how can we can get away without a full lockdown from Nov to Feb in the cold damp weather?

Enjoy the next few weeks because the late autumn and winter will be brutal. It'll be a terrible time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement