Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The Racing Point issue will be decided before FP1 on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The Racing Point issue will be decided before FP1 on Friday.

There's no real way they can rule against RP. This is court of sports entertainment, not a court law. Banning the RP method of building their current car will make them less competitive and lessen the competition towards the front of the grid. RP would presumably have to use last year's break ducts and then the challenges for the rest of the car will roll in. The break ducts are just a test case for everything else they "scanned" from last year's Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Apparently a whole rake of Italian journalists have gone nuts this morning. All confirming Vettel is joining Aston Martin on a 3 year deal replacing Perez.

According to reddit most of the journalists are of awful quality/reliability, yet multiple Italian journalists from various Italian media have all jumped on the same thing at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Harika

Bottas has been given a one year extension

pjohnson wrote: »
    Apparently a whole rake of Italian journalists have gone nuts this morning. All confirming Vettel is joining Aston Martin on a 3 year deal replacing Perez.

According to reddit most of the journalists are of awful quality/reliability, yet multiple Italian journalists from various Italian media have all jumped on the same thing at once.

It's been generally well known in the paddock that Vettel is going to RP/Aston Martin. Seemingly they've held off an announcement given Perez positive Covid test. If/once it is confirmed it'll be good to have Seb around for another while.

Bottas extended by Merc confirming they are happy with him for at least the next season anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Harika wrote: »

https://www.skysports.com/share/12043604

• Registered Users Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

namloc1980 wrote: »
    It's been generally well known in the paddock that Vettel is going to RP/Aston Martin. Seemingly they've held off an announcement given Perez positive Covid test. If/once it is confirmed it'll be good to have Seb around for another while.

Bottas extended by Merc confirming they are happy with him for at least the next season anyway.

If Albon doesn't improve would Red Bull ever go for Perez, unlikely mind

I wonder when the mad merry go round of early transfers rumours will start, so many swaps of seats depending on one another

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

This is the perfect example of how Mercedes rates Bottas for me. Next year will be in to his 5th season in the best team on the grid. Every single time a 1 year deal. They don't believe in him at all. He's a stop gap measure that fit nicely with a top driver in the other car

If Albon doesn't improve would Red Bull ever go for Perez, unlikely mind

I wonder when the mad merry go round of early transfers rumours will start, so many swaps of seats depending on one another
    That's a good question. Red Bull tend to keep their drivers from the young driver programme but they have exhausted that. It would be a break form the norm,if they went for an established driver. But it's a good idea.

The big question I have is who will be the loser once the game of musical chairs stops? With Alonso coming back at least one driver minimum won’t be on the 2021 grid. Raikkonen seems the favourite amongst some folk here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

When do Giovinazzi, Grosjean and Magnussen's contracts run out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭steve_r

Reminds me of this little offroad adventure where he ended up in front of a closed gate

I think he said at the time that when he last went up that road the gate was open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Kimi went wayyy too easy on them in my opinion!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bottas sticking around at Merc for a year, basically not waking a sleeping baby with that one.

Lewis should announce a multi year with them soon, I reckon. No other drives can even remotely appeal to him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Well Imola will be interesting!

Cutting the race week-end so only one practice session on a track that hasn't been used since 2006.
    Not much time for the drivers to get a feel for the track. I know they have simulators and all that but still need time on the track.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well Imola will be interesting!

Cutting the race week-end so only one practice session on a track that hasn't been used since 2006.
    Not much time for the drivers to get a feel for the track. I know they have simulators and all that but still need time on the track.

Why are they doing the shortened weekend?

I actually think it's great. Less time for absolutely everyone toget absolutely everything perfect so some chance for surprises.

Gintonious wrote: »
    Bottas sticking around at Merc for a year, basically not waking a sleeping baby with that one.

Lewis should announce a multi year with them soon, I reckon. No other drives can even remotely appeal to him right now.

Reports saying they had contacted Williams about Russell's availability, but Williams want him to see out his contract with them (next year is last), and then Bottas gets a small extension to cover next year.

If you are Bottas surely you must feel like they were ready to pack you out.
    Would be nice if it lit a fire under him and he gave us a bit of entertainment in the form of a title challenger.

I actually think it's great. Less time for absolutely everyone toget absolutely everything perfect so some chance for surprises.

Never actually saw a reason behind it given! Wondering why too.
    Will make it fun for the fans anyway. Not sure the drivers are happy haha.

Think Max called it stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Reports saying they had contacted Williams about Russell's availability, but Williams want him to see out his contract with them (next year is last), and then Bottas gets a small extension to cover next year.

If you are Bottas surely you must feel like they were ready to pack you out.
    Would be nice if it lit a fire under him and he gave us a bit of entertainment in the form of a title challenger.

My guess would be that he gets a nice bonus for wins and points, so works in his favour for the money at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Think I saw somewhere that due to people living very close to the track it's something to do with car noise levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Think I saw somewhere that due to people living very close to the track it's something to do with car noise levels.

Simply logistics of moving the circus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Harika

Saving costs, one less day track activities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Saving costs, one less day track activities

Doubt it, if this was the case then why not use this format for tracks the teams are familiar with, or the double headers? I suspect it's due to noisy days limit that imola is required to stay within.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ferrari: "We have the worst strategies."
    Alfa: "Hold my wine."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Doubt it, if this was the case then why not use this format for tracks the teams are familiar with, or the double headers? I suspect it's due to noisy days limit that imola is required to stay within.

It's logistics - basically it's a 2400km road trip from the Algarve to Imola and it was decided an extras day leeway was needed.

Infoanon wrote: »
    It's logistics - basically it's a 2400km road trip from the Algarve to Imola and it was decided an extras day leeway was needed.

In the interest of cost cutting I'd be fine with getting rid of Friday practice. Particularly at tracks which they're familiar with (no need for Friday practice at a double header or regular tracks like Silverstone).

There must be much less money involved this year while there are no fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

There has been savings but also alot of lost revenue.

Normally F1 charge each track for a fee, The cost for silverstone is £35 million to host the race which they were only able to make the money back from ticket sales.

Track side advertising, TV money and VIP experances go stright to F1.

There have been savings, No marketing units or staff.

The TV crew has been reduced from 350 to 50
    Each team has also reduced the amount of crew by the same amount of people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement