Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭mf240

We’ve given serious consideration to a rotary but having trouble with the top line figure. A few other things to be done first I suppose.

We’ve visited several but in only 1 was there actually any labour reduction post installation. Some farms had one milker on a Sunday evening and that’s kinda whet caused us to pause as much as the investment. Have you reduced your labour bill?

Seriously considering putting another parlour along side current set up. We were due to visit a few in the uk this summer but current restrictions have put a stop to that.

As in two parlours side by side with shared collection yard and dairy. Seen that set up online somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Take a look at thedairydaughter (@thedairydaught1): https://twitter.com/thedairydaught1?s=09
    This crowd have 2 parlours like that, hosted the UK farmers Twitter account recently

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭Base price

He obviously has great regard for his clients. If our vet answered with that here it’d be his last ever call
    +1
    One would wonder why DAFM/private Vets bother to have two different coloured (red/blue) scratch/injectors when TB testing.

It could be a conspiracy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Base price wrote: »
    The exemption for TB testing of calves up to 120 days is ending on September the 1st. Reading the article, normal TB rules will apply for calves that are over 42 days old on 1/9/20 if you wish to sell them.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tb-test-exemption-for-calves-under-120-days-to-end-in-september-561868
    This was one of the good things that arose from Covid 19, I was hoping it would remain. Takes pressure off getting calves away, suited my buyers as they had stronger calves. I'd doubt it would make a difference to TB levels would it? Pressure from vet lobby? Although I remember reading somewhere that the ICSA were calling for the 42 day test to be re instated awhile back, which I thought very unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

He obviously has great regard for his clients. If our vet answered with that here it’d be his last ever call
    I wouldnt blame the vet, and theres a few vets and farmers in my family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

One of the best vets there is.

Just asked him which is the good lump and the answer was a smile and farmers are not supposed to know that. So it was mise took from that, that they are changed around.
    Going from past experience of seeing bigger bottom lumps going through would make you question and trixi2011 post would seem to confirm my suspicions.

Wasn't there a high profile macra farmer got caught out by injecting dirty water into the bottom lump to fail the test.
    Just maybe he got caught out by the switcharoo.
    Farmers shouldn't know it all. There are the gangsters out there.

Disagree tbh. Saying farmers shouldn't know it all with regard to such things is wrong. It would only bring out a greater level of distrust. It is our livelihoods at stake so as much info as possible should be there with regard to the whole process.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Disagree tbh. Saying farmers shouldn't know it all with regard to such things is wrong. It would only bring out a greater level of distrust. It is our livelihoods at stake so as much info as possible should be there with regard to the whole process.

You have to be able to catch out the rogue farmers.

These are the farmers as above who'd try and distort the tests. The ones who'd think of injecting slurry or even trying to bring down their chosen lump.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

I smoke €27 worth per day of cigarettes...

Is being the meanest, stingiest basterd some kind of badge for dairy farmers?

I ordered 12 rolls of paper online trying to save a bit of money last week, turned out to be absolute shiite but I'll light one smoke off the other walking the cows in with a coffee I paid 4 euro for in the morning. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

We’ve given serious consideration to a rotary but having trouble with the top line figure. A few other things to be done first I suppose.

We’ve visited several but in only 1 was there actually any labour reduction post installation. Some farms had one milker on a Sunday evening and that’s kinda whet caused us to pause as much as the investment. Have you reduced your labour bill?

Seriously considering putting another parlour along side current set up. We were due to visit a few in the uk this summer but current restrictions have put a stop to that.

Milked in similar setup in nz many moons ago.
    Two 24 units side by side using same gathering yard, 3 of us milking 880 cows. Two in the pits and one lad fetching cows and setting up wires, he'd then start washing yard and any other bit.
    We'd have over 300 milked before the cows be locked into gatheri g yard. Great craic at it as you'd be pacing yer selves against each other.
    Can't remember how long it took us to milk though.

• Advertisement

You have to be able to catch out the rogue farmers.

These are the farmers as above who'd try and distort the tests. The ones who'd think of injecting slurry or even trying to bring down their chosen lump.

There are ways and means to catch those lads, and keeping info back isn't the way to do it. You said above experiencing big bottom lumps passing, if the dept vet had come out to check the cattle were tested correctly the vet in question would be looking at no testing at all for a while.....

There are ways and means to catch those lads, and keeping info back isn't the way to do it. You said above experiencing big bottom lumps passing, if the dept vet had come out to check the cattle were tested correctly the vet in question would be looking at no testing at all for a while.....

How do you know the dept haven't given instruction to do this to vets?

Does your vet punch in numbers as he's testing and reading?
    (I'm not on about the intial tag reading and tot up).

* I couldn't give a care myself when the job gets done.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    This was one of the good things that arose from Covid 19, I was hoping it would remain. Takes pressure off getting calves away, suited my buyers as they had stronger calves. I'd doubt it would make a difference to TB levels would it? Pressure from vet lobby? Although I remember reading somewhere that the ICSA were calling for the 42 day test to be re instated awhile back, which I thought very unusual.
    +1.

How do you know the dept haven't given instruction to do this to vets?

Do you know they have? Been thru the ringer with tb and any questions there I've asked, not once would something like that come up. Not a mention the increased risk of mixing up the top and bottom if asked to do it as it's a total change in routine. Would discredit the test is if it was asked to be done anyone could dispute it

Do you know they have? Been thru the ringer with tb and any questions there I've asked, not once would something like that come up. Not a mention the increased risk of mixing up the top and bottom if asked to do it as it's a total change in routine. Would discredit the test is if it was asked to be done anyone could dispute it

Ask your vet straight out the next time you see them is the avian TB jab always on top.
    Or any vet that TB tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Could be wrong now but did Rockwell have that set up? Or certainly they were talking about it

New rotary went in 18 months ago

Ask your vet straight out the next time you see them is the avian TB jab always on top.
    I ain't going to phone our Vet to ask at this time of the night but maybe our Veterinary F&F mod can give an answer.

I ain't going to phone our Vet to ask at this time of the night but maybe our F&F Vet mod or other Vets that follow the forum can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭straight

dar31 wrote: »
    Milked in similar setup in nz many moons ago.
    Two 24 units side by side using same gathering yard, 3 of us milking 880 cows. Two in the pits and one lad fetching cows and setting up wires, he'd then start washing yard and any other bit.
    We'd have over 300 milked before the cows be locked into gatheri g yard. Great craic at it as you'd be pacing yer selves against each other.
    Can't remember how long it took us to milk though.

I wouldn't be impressed to see people race milking my cows. Not a job to be rushed imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,193 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Did herd test today. See some with bottom lumps this eve. Is this normal r should I b worried about it

How did you get on?

• Advertisement

I ain't going to phone our Vet to ask at this time of the night but maybe our Veterinary F&F mod can give an answer.

It mightnt be fair to ask him or her.
    It's why I wasn't going to ask that question myself.
    That's the beauty of here. There's no question mandatory to answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    I wouldn't be impressed to see people race milking my cows. Not a job to be rushed imho.

A good routine and fasthands could mean a difference of between 2 minutes plus a row and cows still milked perfectly between two different Milkers, worked in a place one time that was putting 640 cows through a 16 unit, me and a kiwi lady where two and a half hours quicker a.m and p.m then the other milking team of Asian workers, wasn’t unusual for them to have cups on for 3.30a.m and last cow wasnt back in paddock till 1.0pm, it often happened the last row would be heading into the paddock and you”d be going for the first group of cows for p.m milking that started at 2

jaymla627 wrote: »
    A good routine and fasthands could mean a difference of between 2 minutes plus a row and cows still milked perfectly between two different Milkers, worked in a place one time that was putting 640 cows through a 16 unit, me and a kiwi lady where two and a half hours quicker a.m and p.m then the other milking team of Asian workers, wasn’t unusual for them to have cups on for 3.30a.m and last cow wasnt back in paddock till 1.0pm, it often happened the last row would be heading into the paddock and you”d be going for the first group of cows for p.m milking that started at 2

I'll never milk those kind of numbers anyway but sure each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

There was no racing going on, learned to get the most out of the parlour efficently with out overworking my self in the pit, if some one on the other side was tipping along better than me I'd always make sure to see how.
    It was finding a good pace.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I ain't going to phone our Vet to ask at this time of the night but maybe our F&F Vet mod or other Vets that follow the forum can.

The convention is Avian on top and Bovine on the bottom.

Where there is good reason to do so I've heard of it being done reversed.

Basically, trust your vet or find one you do. Given the decisions that have to made I wouldn't want to be making them if my client didn't trust me. He mightn't like them but he has to trust I'm doing my best for him.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I'm a big fan of david mc William's podcasts but this one really left me down. He spells out the end of irish agriculture basically. Alot of inaccuracies I think but alot of thought provoking stuff too.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9kYXZpZG1jd2lsbGlhbXMubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M&ep=14&episode=ZjZiMzcyNDBiZjA2NDEwZDg4MDUxMmUwYTU0ZGUxODU

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm a big fan of david mc William's podcasts but this one really left me down. He spells out the end of irish agriculture basically. Alot of inaccuracies I think but alot of thought provoking stuff too.

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9kYXZpZG1jd2lsbGlhbXMubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M&ep=14&episode=ZjZiMzcyNDBiZjA2NDEwZDg4MDUxMmUwYTU0ZGUxODU

I’d listen to him now and again and I listened to this one a few months ago. He makes the odd interesting point in it, but it’s obvious he’s very out of his depth most of the time on agriculture.

But then again, farmers aren’t his target audience so many of those listening probably assume he’s right

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I’d listen to him now and again and I listened to this one a few months ago. He makes the odd interesting point in it, but it’s obvious he’s very out of his depth most of the time on agriculture.

But then again, farmers aren’t his target audience so many of those listening probably assume he’s right

Reasearch findings on the health effects of the likes of beyond meat burgers and meats on lab rats suggest the payouts Monsanto are currently forking out due to round-up cases will be pocket change compared to what the above companies will be hit with, water security is probably the most prevalent factor for world agricultural in the next few decades and Ireland bar catostrophic climate change swings in the weather, Ireland is pretty secure the same couldn’t be said for the vast majority of other large agricultural export countries especially those heavily reliant on irrigation

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Passed thank god.

• Advertisement

Ya, not a clue about agriculture. It makes me wonder about more stuff he preaches about. Some truth in there too though and I think the agri industry needs to fight back against oat juice, almond juice, lab meat and the like. Also it's time to get the truth out there about farmings effect on the climate vs avocado, almonds and all that sh1t.

Advertisement