Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Baling here atm. I'm starting to wonder where I'm going to put the bloody things at this stage.

Better to be looking at it than for it I suppose:)
    Better have it..

Tisnt this winter the year after our Grand Solar Minimum and the one when we record temperatures of minus 30 degrees. :)
    Off to draw straw myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Better have it..

Tisnt this winter the year after our Grand Solar Minimum and the one when we record temperatures of minus 30 degrees. :)
    Off to draw straw myself.

Wtf

Reggie. wrote: »
    Wtf

It's not that early for straw.

It's not that early for straw.

Not the straw. The coming of the second ice age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭straight

Not the straw. The coming of the second ice age

Green party will sort that out. No need to worry

• Advertisement

Baling here atm. I'm starting to wonder where I'm going to put the bloody things at this stage.

Better to be looking at it than for it I suppose:)

I'd say you'd want to lash on another row of cows to eat all that grass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »

Don't mention the war!:D

Reaching storage limits here atm so little scope for more unless I go about covering the overground tank. And might have to cut back a bit if the Nitrates limits go above the 90kgs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Good idea ;)
    200 surplus bales made to date

Good idea ;)
    200 surplus bales made to date

How many McHale bales would that be. 150? I drove a baler for summers before and lads used to love pointing out the slopey bales to me. Just saying like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Heading for 400 of the fcukers here. Prob more to make but may take a bit for reseeding yet

• Advertisement

How many McHale bales would that be. 150? I drove a baler for summers before and lads used to love pointing out the slopey bales to me. Just saying like.

100 from a McHale baler and 100 from our own Krone. No weight difference between them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Credit to McHale's pr men for making Ireland believe their bales are so much bigger than any other baler.:D

Bought Fusion bales last spring and still got 14 on a trailer and they were no heavier than bales made by ourselves. Fantastic baler and with 170hp + in front are bound to make great solid bales but so can most balers younger than old RP12s

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Gillespy wrote: »
    Credit to McHale's pr men for making Ireland believe their bales are so much bigger than any other baler.:D

Bought Fusion bales last spring and still got 14 on a trailer and they were no heavier than bales made by ourselves. Fantastic baler and with 170hp + in front are bound to make great solid bales but so can most balers younger than old RP12s

Contractor specific to aswell, the baler man isn’t going to have the pressure up to the max on the chamber if he can get away with it

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Contractor specific to aswell, the baler man isn’t going to have the pressure up to the max on the chamber if he can get away with it

Our guy does now tbf. 230 horse valtra up front and bales well packed. They weigh 850 kg and our own weigh 820/830 kg.
    Some lads say they can get a tonne in a bale but I've never had one

Our guy does now tbf. 230 horse valtra up front and bales well packed. They weigh 850 kg and our own weigh 820/830 kg.
    Some lads say they can get a tonne in a bale but I've never had one

1000kg in a bale would be madness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

Says the contractor

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

May be confusing them with maize bales ....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Farmer2017

Did herd test today. See some with bottom lumps this eve. Is this normal r should I b worried about it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    Did herd test today. See some with bottom lumps this eve. Is this normal r should I b worried about it

Dont even look for lumps. You'll drive yourself mad

whelan2 wrote: »
    Dont even look for lumps. You'll drive yourself mad

She caught my eye coming in this evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Farmer2017 wrote: »
    She caught my eye coming in this evening

could b a reaction to the needle or to being injected rather than what she was injected with.... had she a lump in that area b4 test??

could b a reaction to the needle or to being injected rather than what she was injected with.... had she a lump in that area b4 test??

Couldn’t be certain but it def on inj site

They were only tested today, plenty of time for a top lump to show up

Bottom lumps are fine. Top lumps are panic stations

They were only tested today, plenty of time for a top lump to show up

Fecking hope so. U b sh**ing it

cosatron wrote: »
    Bottom lumps are fine. Top lumps are panic stations

Top lumps are avian tb, bottom lumps are panic stations around here

Top lumps are avian tb, bottom lumps are panic stations around here

I better check it out with boss in the morning. You could be right. I thought it was top lumps

cosatron wrote: »
    I better check it out with boss in the morning. You could be right. I thought it was top lumps

The vet can change which is which at their discretion.

As long as they do the whole herd that way and know what they're doing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.
    Cows have to be fed on ****ty days from October on ,u can never have enough good feed in yard .been spreading 20 units behind cows since April and last 2.5 weeks back to 17!ish grass still growing strong but of my rotation was 25 days plus farm would go hungry v quick

Advertisement