Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭cosatron

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The self-help group been set up by robot owners is interesting, Lely really poked the hornets nest a few weeks ago with their its not the robot it’s the farmers fault stance, was glancing through the class action been taken against them by a large group of American dairy farmers and it would open your eyes to the amount of things that exists to go wrong with them...
    Whenever that case is decided if the verdict goes against Lely could leave them wide open here for similar

any link for that jay.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Base price

cosatron wrote: »
    any link for that jay.
    Page 6 in this weeks IFJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭jaymla627

any link for that jay.

www.roboticmilkerfailure.com has all the info on American case

Base price wrote: »
    Page 6 in this weeks IFJ.

Don’t buy the comic.

Don’t buy the comic.
    Here -

• Advertisement

www.roboticmilkerfailure.com has all the info on American case

Feel sorry for them. Especially after losing the original shed in a fire.

Feel sorry for them. Especially after losing the original shed in a fire.

Reading the stories in the class action would open your eyes re problems and costs with robots, unless you have top class dealer backup it seems they are a non-runner

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Summer 2020. The year that grass growth was so good, but no demand anymore that lads are just topping it back into the ground rather than wasting the money bailing it anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »
    Summer 2020. The year that grass growth was so good, but no demand anymore that lads are just topping it back into the ground rather than wasting the money bailing it anymore!

I had the topper going and the baler here the same week, mad for wasting money I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mooooo wrote: »
    I had the topper going and the baler here the same week, mad for wasting money I am!

RDU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Timmaay wrote: »

And only a few weeks ago fellas were crapping themselves about drought...:).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭straight

They were the overstocked lads. It's the understocked fellas that are topping. I don't know where I stand because I don't even have a topper.

straight wrote: »
    They were the overstocked lads. It's the understocked fellas that are topping. I don't know where I stand because I don't even have a topper.

Topping or pre-mowing.

Tested a 250hp tractor on 4m mower whilst topping and pre-mowing...5litres per hectare or 2L/ac which comes to €1 per acre!!!
    I smoke €27 worth per day of cigarettes...

Is being the meanest, stingiest basterd some kind of badge for dairy farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,137 ✭✭✭Grueller

Topping or pre-mowing.

Tested a 250hp tractor on 4m mower whilst topping and pre-mowing...5litres per hectare or 2L/ac which comes to €1 per acre!!!

How many cigs cost €27 in France Dawg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Topping or pre-mowing.

I never smoked so never bought the cheap or the dear ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Yeah remember there was a lad on here saying Irish farmers were mad to be so dependant on grass and we should go off and plant all sorts of crops grown in warm climate countries. Lucky we didn't listen to him!

Topping or pre-mowing.

I wouldn't even feed myself only for the wife or mother or someone else looking after me. Definitely wouldn't pay for fags anyway. As for 250 hp tractor, well I've a wee davie brown and she goes for about 2 months on 5 gallons of diesel. I don't think she'd run the 4m mower.

Grueller wrote: »
    How many cigs cost €27 in France Dawg

Waaaayyyy too many. I can get through 60-80/day.

I never smoked so never bought the cheap or the dear ones.

They’re all expensive Chief. 20box are a tenner now.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Yeah remember there was a lad on here saying Irish farmers were mad to be so dependant on grass and we should go off and plant all sorts of crops grown in warm climate countries. Lucky we didn't listen to him!

Recent history suggests that the lad might be right...it’s even illegal for tillage farmers to grow less than 3 crops!
    Then again the ould government will jump in with an ol’ bailout when the grass doesn’t grow, so all is fine...for now. Enjoy.

• Advertisement

The Green Party are in seventh heaven at the minute id say, current climate action plan has been scrapped by the Supreme Court and now a new one has to be drawn up, god help us is all I can say

The Green Party are in seventh heaven at the minute id say, current climate action plan has been scrapped by the Supreme Court and now a new one has to be drawn up, god help us is all I can say

Don't worry about what you can't control. We might be all better off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Waaaayyyy too many. I can get through 60-80/day.

Jaysus dawg I used to smole 40 and I thought that was bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Derogation worries continue son

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭visatorro

They’re all expensive Chief. 20box are a tenner now.

Off them 8 weeks. Was basically eating fags for the last year. No gimmicks or help just pure thickness. Not easy. Smoking 20 year's.

visatorro wrote: »
    Off them 8 weeks. Was basically eating fags for the last year. No gimmicks or help just pure thickness. Not easy. Smoking 20 year's.
    Well done. I bet your lungs are feeling a lot better.
    I bought 20 Rothmans for my sister recently and I think they cost €13.75 - that's over €5k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Base price wrote: »
    Well done. I bet your lungs are feeling a lot better.
    I bought 20 Rothmans for my sister recently and I think they cost €13.75 - that's over €5k per year.

Thry dont just come in 20s any more , theres 24 packs too and others. Daughter had a list in her pocket for stocking the shelves in work. Hadnt heard of a good few of the brands.

The exemption for TB testing of calves up to 120 days is ending on September the 1st. Reading the article, normal TB rules will apply for calves that are over 42 days old on 1/9/20 if you wish to sell them.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tb-test-exemption-for-calves-under-120-days-to-end-in-september-561868

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Our vet won't tell you which is which and swaps it to suit himself.

Maybe it's just him.
    Reasoning is with him if people knew which was which it leaves it open to tampering with.

He obviously has great regard for his clients. If our vet answered with that here it’d be his last ever call

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

ah when i have last cluster attached to cow... i just switch from attaching clusters to cows to folding down trays and setting up clusters for washing as the last cows are going around... so u should be finished that side of it when last cows have exited.... we also have a deck wash(an absolute must on any rotary) so while im setting up clusters for washing the deck is also being hosed down.... we dont have much floor space around parlour (5 feet) so not alot of washing there either.... i have seen rotarys where u could drive an artic around the parlour such is the space between deck and wall of shed... looks great til u have u to go washing it...

back to ur mans parlour.... parlour imo should be back beside where the new cubicle shed is.... cows are walking past and in front of new shed and there was no mention of that having to be scraped with a tractor and scraper everyday..... more work.... ideally cows and machinery should not be crossing each other in a farmyard.... easier said than done.... but it could have been done there.... it looks like he wanted dairy near the road for milk tanker... access for the tanker wouldnt be high on my list when locating the building....

the only other thing i dont like is the race for testing by the wall... i actually cannot figure out why lads would put a chute along a wall.... and i also think chute is too long... will take ages to load cows into it.... race for testing here is in the middle of drafting area... access from both sides... holds a maximum of 5 cows.... we test as we milk... i slow down the deck to a nice speed where there will 5/6 cows will have arrived into holding area behind race just as vet has the 5 in the crush done.... works very very well.... vaccinating scanning and testing all done this way and works really well.... tried doing it all on platform like ur man plans on doing... will work ok as we used to do it but the system i described above works much much better

We’ve given serious consideration to a rotary but having trouble with the top line figure. A few other things to be done first I suppose.

We’ve visited several but in only 1 was there actually any labour reduction post installation. Some farms had one milker on a Sunday evening and that’s kinda whet caused us to pause as much as the investment. Have you reduced your labour bill?

Seriously considering putting another parlour along side current set up. We were due to visit a few in the uk this summer but current restrictions have put a stop to that.

Advertisement