Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

greysides wrote: »
    The convention is Avian on top and Bovine on the bottom.

Where there is good reason to do so I've heard of it being done reversed.

Basically, trust your vet or find one you do. Given the decisions that have to made I wouldn't want to be making them if my client didn't trust me. He mightn't like them but he has to trust I'm doing my best for him.

That’s the relationship with our vet professional behaviour on both sides with trust on both sides, of its otherwise you need another vet or a good chat with yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Ya, not a clue about agriculture. It makes me wonder about more stuff he preaches about. Some truth in there too though and I think the agri industry needs to fight back against oat juice, almond juice, lab meat and the like. Also it's time to get the truth out there about farmings effect on the climate vs avocado, almonds and all that sh1t.

There's lots happening there that we may not hear about. Just the other day, the UN tweeted that Agriculture produced more GHGs than the fossil fuel industry. It was left up for 2 days and then taken down when even their own FAO head looked for the data behind it.

But they left the Spanish version of the same tweet up till yesterday evening at least.

It may even still be up. It's rather difficult not to see a conspiracy of using false, misleading and totally incorrect data to further an anti farming agenda.

But as the above shows, we're up against some powerful and 'trusted' organisations in this battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭straight

There's lots happening there that we may not hear about. Just the other day, the UN tweeted that Agriculture produced more GHGs than the fossil fuel industry. It was left up for 2 days and then taken down when even their own FAO head looked for the data behind it.

But they left the Spanish version of the same tweet up till yesterday evening at least.

It may even still be up. It's rather difficult not to see a conspiracy of using false, misleading and totally incorrect data to further an anti farming agenda.

But as the above shows, we're up against some powerful and 'trusted' organisations in this battle.

Yes. It's an international attack and it is changing mindsets and perceptions. It's maddening to hear such untruths sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Basically, trust your vet or find one you do. Given the decisions that have to made I wouldn't want to be making them if my client didn't trust me. He mightn't like them but he has to trust I'm doing my best for him.

What would a good reason be?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

dar31 wrote: »
    There was no racing going on, learned to get the most out of the parlour efficently with out overworking my self in the pit, if some one on the other side was tipping along better than me I'd always make sure to see how.
    It was finding a good pace.
    I pit on 2 or 3 clusters while the cows are coming in, that's 20 cows at the end of the milking. Also let out the cows early while tje last few cows are milking out. Another one is while cows coming I'm I drive ahead with the jeep and put on the first row. Simple things really spped up the routine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I pit on 2 or 3 clusters while the cows are coming in, that's 20 cows at the end of the milking. Also let out the cows early while tje last few cows are milking out. Another one is while cows coming I'm I drive ahead with the jeep and put on the first row. Simple things really spped up the routine

My OH used milk here a bit while she was off during the lockdown and she could never get her head around me leaving the cows out while the clusters were still on the last 2 or 3 cows:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Yes. It's an international attack and it is changing mindsets and perceptions. It's maddening to hear such untruths sometimes.

Its hard to fathom the ridicule that we get as primary producers given the low returns achieved and work put in, if for instance the Green Party and all the tree hugging environmentalists achieve their goals, decimate farming output in Europe and lead to a reliance on imported gmo soya and corn plus 1000’s of different chemicals and preservatives to feed the European population what happens when a grain shortage occurs worldwide, our climate change renders the 3rd world countries that the 1st world will become so dependent for food on suffer droughts/crop losses and can’t actually provide the corn/soya/avocados etc, we all seen what happened when Chinese manufacturing was shut down earlier in the year and the shortage of supplies on the market, if the same thing happened food supplies what type of anarchy would take place, but we would be told it’s grand sure our GHg emmissions are lower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Nowadays it doesn’t matter about being right or wrong or facts, it’s about getting your message out there first, regardless of accuracy. The damage is done then and when time comes around for the correction of the untruths people have moved on and don’t even know about the correction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The same could be said about other divisions of the UN also. Big business/vested interests are using it to push their agenda across more than just agriculture/food...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IWT that may not be about anti agri but more about fossil fuel ind pointing the finger elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I stand corrected so. Stills seems strange tbh given the non 100% nature of the test iykwim.
    I trust my vets, last breakdown 2 years ago was bloods took the numbers and department vets did 2 of the skin tests.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

As part of my dairy homework I look up parlours on YouTube and often the results are big rotary ones and expensive Dairymaster conversions. Nothing wrong with them - good luck to anyone who goes in that direction.

But taking on debt isn’t an option for me so it was nice to come across this 6-unit parlour that’s milking 46 cows in Mayo

https://youtu.be/uj7_dauoINk

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

As part of my dairy homework I look up parlours on YouTube and often the results are big rotary ones and expensive Dairymaster conversions. Nothing wrong with them - good luck to anyone who goes in that direction.

But taking on debt isn’t an option for me so it was nice to come across this 6-unit parlour that’s milking 46 cows in Mayo

https://youtu.be/uj7_dauoINk

But it's still 8 rows to milk, I'd say you'd pick up a lot of nice 12 units second hand for small money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,080 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.

3rd round of grazing with now zero bag nitrogen spread and I haven't fallen into bankruptcy! :pac: Regrowths are still good to get me into the fourth round. So the ship is still sailing.
    The weather is perfect for it.
    Eyes are being opened to what is possible. :D
    No protected urea here.

3rd round of grazing with now zero bag nitrogen spread and I haven't fallen into bankruptcy! :pac: Regrowths are still good to get me into the fourth round. So the ship is still sailing.
    The weather is perfect for it.
    Eyes are being opened to what is possible. :D
    No protected urea here.

Pic.

20200801-172823.jpg

Question should always be asked how do the organic guys do it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Question should always be asked how do the organic guys do it..[/quote]

Far lower stocking rates probably...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Ya, not a clue about agriculture. It makes me wonder about more stuff he preaches about. Some truth in there too though and I think the agri industry needs to fight back against oat juice, almond juice, lab meat and the like. Also it's time to get the truth out there about farmings effect on the climate vs avocado, almonds and all that sh1t.

A lot of such people see no issue in opining about which the know little.

Pic.

20200801-172823.jpg

Great going, tbh probably not all organic farmers growing grass like that, a lot of what your doing is at not common practice in any field ;)

How many days?

jaymla627 wrote: »
    A good routine and fasthands could mean a difference of between 2 minutes plus a row and cows still milked perfectly between two different Milkers, worked in a place one time that was putting 640 cows through a 16 unit, me and a kiwi lady where two and a half hours quicker a.m and p.m then the other milking team of Asian workers, wasn’t unusual for them to have cups on for 3.30a.m and last cow wasnt back in paddock till 1.0pm, it often happened the last row would be heading into the paddock and you”d be going for the first group of cows for p.m milking that started at 2

Sounds like a good working relationship, ye must have been keeping your distance ;)

• Advertisement

Great going, tbh probably not all organic farmers growing grass like that, a lot of what your doing is at not common practice in any field ;)

How many days?

Not sure how many days.

Probably 22 - 23 days.
    It's all Quorum sense though. :pac:

Still lots and lots to be honed. That field got dung and slurry in spring and it's really now you'd see it.

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Far lower stocking rates probably...[/quote]

Every green cert student should do their work placement on an organic farm in their preferred sector of ag.
    There's no point sending students out on farms spreading protected urea. They'd learn nothing.
    I did my own placement on a farm in Wicklow that had a more holistic approach to dairying. Unknowingly I think it sunk into me.

My OH used milk here a bit while she was off during the lockdown and she could never get her head around me leaving the cows out while the clusters were still on the last 2 or 3 cows:)

After the first 2 rows I often have to go out and encourage mine into the parlour. I leave them out as I'm teat spraying but i have to get the stick to tap them out or they will just take 2 or 3 steps and stand there ****ting. I then jump up and check that they all ate they're nuts before i feed the next row. Takes me about 1 hour to milk 80 cows which is fine by me. The bringing in/out and washing up is at least another hour. How are all yer cows milking. Doing about 24.5 litres here on 3.51 protein and 3.9 fat. Around 1.8 to 1.85 kg a day I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

After the first 2 rows I often have to go out and encourage mine into the parlour. I leave them out as I'm teat spraying but i have to get the stick to tap them out or they will just take 2 or 3 steps and stand there ****ting. I then jump up and check that they all ate they're nuts before i feed the next row. Takes me about 1 hour to milk 80 cows which is fine by me. The bringing in/out and washing up is at least another hour. How are all yer cows milking. Doing about 24.5 litres here on 3.51 protein and 3.9 fat. Around 1.8 to 1.85 kg a day I guess.

21.5 litres @ 4.05 fat 3.46 protein all heifers.
    Are lads finding the cows are not over happy at grass. Is grass sour or something??

Doing 22.5L @ 3.71bf and 3.61p. Protein consistent enough with he last 4 weeks bf has dropped a bit the last week to 10 days. Cow's are happy enough tho. Farm cover down to 540 but have whole farm available now as silage ground back in

Are you holding them after milking? May have to turn em out of the parlour alright a bit if holding them but if they are going straight out back to the field they tend to keep going, last row only row to turn in rest walk up.
    Would changing the exit improve it for you I wonder? Could just be a sign you have em full of grass all the time too!

Mooooo wrote: »
    Are you holding them after milking? May have to turn em out of the parlour alright a bit if holding them but if they are going straight out back to the field they tend to keep going, last row only row to turn in rest walk up.
    Would changing the exit improve it for you I wonder? Could just be a sign you have em full of grass all the time too!

I leave them walk away as they are milked. Full of grass and not enough hunger is the problem at the moment alright. Could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

21.5 litres @ 4.05 fat 3.46 protein all heifers.
    Are lads finding the cows are not over happy at grass. Is grass sour or something??

How much n going out rotation length ?? And milk urea .puite possible too much n going out and grass free nitrates are high which will spur grass and also give high milk ureas which can lead to other problems grass dm Also low last while so intakes will be lower
    At 27.5 here 4.12 and 3.59.bale silage going in pre pm milking on wet days and averaging 4.4 kg of 13% in parlour .currently on 12/13 day round and 17 units prot urea going out after cows last few weeks suffered for 3 weeks in June with low growth rates and then stressed grass but kept feed into cows which held them

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

mahoney_j wrote: »
    How much n going out rotation length ?? And milk urea .puite possible too much n going out and grass free nitrates are high which will spur grass and also give high milk ureas which can lead to other problems grass dm Also low last while so intakes will be lower
    At 27.5 here 4.12 and 3.59.bale silage going in pre pm milking on wet days and averaging 4.4 kg of 13% in parlour .currently on 12/13 day round and 17 units prot urea going out after cows last few weeks suffered for 3 weeks in June with low growth rates and then stressed grass but kept feed into cows which held them

You could be onto something. Last test urea shot up to 47 from a max of 32 all year. Was giving about 20 units after each grazing but rotation length had come back to about 16/17 days. Going to hold off on the bag stuff now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

mahoney_j wrote: »

Rotation very short j, were u taking out paddocks

Advertisement