Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1967 VW Variant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Would you consider an electronic ignition conversion, or do you want to keep it as original as possible?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Well now that i have it running, i will keep it stock

Success.:p:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

Wow - this is a fantastic thread - I can't believe you've already got that engine running - absolutely brilliant - I know the old man wudda been seriously impressed!!

Can't wait to see and hear it running. The car was parked up a couple of years before I was born, so it'll be a first for me!!!

Thanks for a great thread and great pics Kadman. I'm delighted the car found such a great new owner :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Well done , delighted to hear its running :):).

• Advertisement

Just waiting for a battery to charge.

Engine was running, with smoke everywhere from the oil put into the cylnders to
    check for compression.

And of course a startup after 53 years non running is going to be hard on batteries.

I managed a startup vid which I will post later on, but its doubtful you will see me and John

through the smoke,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Result! Well done man, running already and you only had the car a few days.

Can't wait for that vid :D

Starter motor was not great at the start as you know, and the continuous cranking has now
    made the solenoid go off the deep end.
    So....
    I am putting the starter in for a rebuild tomorrow morning

And to bring you up to date on the position so far, and whats happening,
    and what we found that possibly caused thsi car to be a non runner.

As you know there was spark at the plugs and points. So the next step was to
    check the ignition timing to see where that was . As stated in earlier posts,
    the timing was so far out it would never start.

So we attempted to reset the timing, but we could not revolve the distributor
    far enough to accomodate this at all. Strange as the unit moved freely, but would not go
    to where we needed it to go.
    So we investigated further....

On early vw engines there were various distributors fitted, in short, some with a large vacuum canister
    to change the advance/retard settings for the plug spark. Getting its vacuum signal from the carburretor.
    There were basically 2 types of canister. Large and smaller body.

On closer inspection of the distributor body to see if there was any restriction reasons why we could
    not reach the setting. We noticed that the vacuum body was clipping the distributor connection plate bolt
    that holds the distributor to the engine case. Unless you knew about VW engines , this issue would be easliy
    missed.And indeed it had been fitted with a large body unit, instead of a smaller one.

Solution was to remove the distributor, remove the large vacuum and replace it with a smaller one.
    So distributor was taken off, but no replacement unit to hand.
    Not wanting to go searching for one, we decided to take off the vacuum, and replace the distributor with out it.
    And as we only wanted to fire the engine up, this would suffice.

Thats what we did, dissy on and cranked it.

Fired almost immediately, filled the place with smoke:D:D

Next plan is to fit the repaired starter, and work on getting a nicely running engine:)

And by the way, the "we" is myself and my brother John, who is also another VW nut, and between us we have 100 years joint experience of working on old volks. We both met alpha and assured him that we would get it running.

So we are over the first hurdle:P

Onwards and upwards.

• Advertisement

I suspect that you now know we are both old dudes:cool::P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

kadman wrote: »
    I suspect that you now know we are both old dudes:cool::P

The older the fiddle ;) Absolutely loving this thread, thought Alfa's thread has been amazing so far and for this to come from it!. Can't wait for the video, well done to you and your brother

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Great thread. Looking forward to the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Best thread on Boards in years :cool:

Any chance you'd setup a Youtube channel and post regular videos?

In this pic here you can see the distributor vacuum at its fullest
    clockwise turn, but it needs to revolve further to allow the ignition timing
    fire at top dead centre.
    At this point it was about 40mm before TDC mark on the pulley,

oFJ046s.jpg

Here you can see the pulley with the TDC marks clearly, well left of the centre
    line block on the right of the pulley apperture. It should be vertically in line with this.

r06011R.jpg

This is the large vacuum body that was restricing full clockwise rotation.

HG2z3Y1.jpg

Here is another issue we found with the right hand 32 PDSIT carburetor,
    it was missing the float clip to stop the brass end of the float lever rising up in the
    carb body. Thats why the brass float arm was bent to cause it to jam to the
    inlet valve of the carb, to stop it rising. This causes float level issues, which affect running

ps9rnlB.jpg

And finally this is a broken rotor arm end contact plate that was found
    inside the distributor. So at some time the rotor arm was fitted incorrectly to the distributor.
    Or the wrong rotor was fitted.

0H4h2Kk.jpg

I am off now to find a firewire 4 pin camera cable / usb lead to fit my camera min dvd.
    My last laptop had a firewire plug, my new one nor my pc has one, so at the moment I am snookered with the video,
    until I get this sorted. If anyone knows where i can get one wuick. Shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

Great work so far

I'm stuck myself with an miniDV camera that I need to transfer video off. The best option seems to be to get an firewire PCI-E card for a desktop. I've no desktop at the minute though. I do have an old DVD hard drive recorder with a firewire port but I haven't used it in years, might give it a go first thought I'll be stuck with whatever format it use's.

Ryath wrote: »
    Great work so far

I'm stuck myself with an miniDV camera that I need to transfer video off. The best option seems to be to get an firewire PCI-E card for a desktop. I've no desktop at the minute though. I do have an old DVD hard drive recorder with a firewire port but I haven't used it in years, might give it a go first thought I'll be stuck with whatever format it use's.

This would sort me out immediately if i can get my hands on one in ireland.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Cable-3M-USB-2-0-A-Firewire-4-Pin-Ieee-1394-Adapter-Data-Photo-Video-PC-Mini-Dv-/263963461388

• Registered Users Posts: 64,688 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I might have a firewire card for a desktop somewhere. Probably the older PCI standard rather than the current PCI-E standard though. Will I try find it or is that no use to you?

I checked my Irish supplier and they don't have any fireware to USB cables. I don't recall ever having had one myself. Wouldn't be too optimistic they would be any good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭Ryath

Pretty sure when I last checked the USB to firewire cables were device/manufacture specific. Sony used them for some camera's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Ryath wrote: »
    Pretty sure when I last checked the USB to firewire cables were device/manufacture specific. Sony used them for some camera's.

Correct, like this one which specifies in the detail that it will only work with a "SONY DCR-TRV75E DV & Cannot work for other 1394 or usb device. Please don't buy if your device not DCR-TRV75E"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Firewire-iLink-Adapter-Cable-DCR-TRV75E/dp/B00VHUME42/ref=sr_1_7?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=FireWire+Adapters&qid=1596058543&sr=8-7&ts_id=430445031

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Correct, like this one which specifies in the detail that it will only work with a "SONY DCR-TRV75E DV & Cannot work for other 1394 or usb device. Please don't buy if your device not DCR-TRV75E"

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Firewire-iLink-Adapter-Cable-DCR-TRV75E/dp/B00VHUME42/ref=sr_1_7?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=FireWire+Adapters&qid=1596058543&sr=8-7&ts_id=430445031

Well it appears I know more about 53 year old cars, than I do about modern day computer peripherals then.:o

My old mini dvd cam is a samsung, so i need a workaround to get the vid off the tape??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Well it appears I know more about 53 year old cars, than I do about modern day computer peripherals then.:o

My old mini dvd cam is a samsung, so i need a workaround to get the vid off the tape??

Have a look at these and see if your model it covered.

https://www.ebay.ie/b/Cables-and-Adapters-for-Samsung-Camera/155707/bn_176893

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

After numerous requests, and back by public demand, I give you, the one, the only, 53 year old Vw Variant in Ireland today:D:D:D:D

First attempt at a start up after 53 years, in all its glory, and smoke after all the oil put in to get a compression test. It runs, not for long, but it runs.

And it will run sweeter in the days ahead;)

Enjoy

Date stamp is from my old cam corder not set correctly.

Alpha can confirm the car, and the voices,:):)

The vid is not great quality as you know I could not connect the camcorder to my pc.

So I turned on the camcorder, and recorded it with my camera.

Best I can do at the moment I am afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

The vid is not great quality as you know I could not connect the camcorder to my pc.

So I turned on the camcorder, and recorded it with my camera.

Best I can do at the moment I am afraid.

It's good, I was worried we'd see nothing till you got the cable, good save!

Might be easier to just record with the phone next time?

Great work.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Spotted this thread on the front page and I had to have a look. My earliest memory of any of my father's cars was a Variant. It was green, with a yellow/beige stripe down each side. Not sure what year it was, but I was born in 1967, so it probably would have been from around then as he wouldn't have bought it new and I know he had a Beetle when I was born. I'll definitely be following this thread with interest, best of luck with the project.

It's good, I was worried we'd see nothing till you got the cable, good save!

Might be easier to just record with the phone next time?

Great work.

Yes I think I will do that. I was going to leave it until I got the cable , but there is so much interest in this thread thanks to Alphas great work with his thread for the Cope Foundation and the motivation behind that.....I thought why wait, do it now:P

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Best thread on Boards in years :cool:

Any chance you'd setup a Youtube channel and post regular videos?

I'll consider that ba, but making no promises:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

All bow down to Kadman and his brother. We're so not worthy.

Advertisement