Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The_Brood wrote: »
    The problem is employers are apparently in their right to force you to stay home from work and suck up 2 more weeks of your holiday for that time or take it as unpaid leave. That obviously negates any positivity in going for a holiday in the first place. So if the government can't punish you, your employer might very well do.

Which is all complete farcical shambles.

Hmmm - which part of the law or your employment contract requires you to tell your employer what you've been up to in your private time I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

Is the purpose (although not explicitly stated as such) of the travel advice not as follows.
    Foreign travellers who we would like to come here with their money are to be granted a reprieve from the 14 day isolation. Result is that money comes in to the economy and the politicians have cover by allowing travel from similar countries.

Irish people however are not to be encouraged to go abroad and spend, therefore the "no non essential travel" message remains for us thinking of going away for a break.
    Result is that money here in the country is kept in the country and spent on local tourism.

It's quite clever actually and you have to give credit to our leaders for manoeuvring such a move.

While that makes sense looking at it from a strictly economic perspective, that would represent a serious attack on our personal freedoms and would make no sense from a public health point of view. In a free, democratic country like Ireland it is not acceptable to restrict our freedom of movement for economic reasons. As I’ve already outlined in this thread, the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain were built to do just that, restrict people’s freedom of movement for economic reasons.

Part of me is worried that we are sleepwalking our way into being a quasi-police state and a fair amount of the population seem to be happy to go along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭acequion

Ok, so here's my account of my return trip Alicante-Kerry.

Once again private transfers to and from both airports so no problem there. Departures at Alicante was busy enough as the rest of the EU aren't living in a police state like us poor thick paddies, so are travelling unrestricted. However, a lot less people will travel in a global pandemic, personal decisions, no need for gombeen politicians to get heavy, hence the terminal was at way less capacity than normal in July and everyone was masked so distancing was not a problem.Going through security was expertly handled, queues were longer as a result of distancing and people were literally drip fed through the scanner area, so a pleasure not to have the usual jostling. It was funny at the Departure gate as a stewardess came out and had to twice call "Passengers for Kerry?" before a small trickle eventually emerged. Imagine the usual stampede! Again 25-30 on the plane,again I was able to change seats in order to have nobody within at least 4 rows of me either side. Fair play to Ryanair for continuing the service!

I really have better chances of coming back with Malaria but I am a responsible person so will be careful as always. I won't see my elderly mum for a bit and am fairly reclusive and quiet living anyway. Work is not an issue at the moment as I'm off. I had already printed out the passenger locator form so just had to hand it in but I saw loads doing it there on arrivals. On thing both Spanish and Irish authorities seem strict on is the date, so heads up to anyone doing the forms in advance is to make sure the date you sign on is your arrival date.

The trip away did me no amount of good. Let's see what follow up comes in the days ahead ie phone calls or whatever, I'll post to let people know.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭seansouth35

Lifelike wrote: »
    While that makes sense looking at it from a strictly economic perspective, that would represent a serious attack on our personal freedoms and would make no sense from a public health point of view. In a free, democratic country like Ireland it is not acceptable to restrict our freedom of movement for economic reasons. As I’ve already outlined in this thread, the Berlin Wall and Iron Curtain were built to do just that, restrict people’s freedoms of movement for economic reasons.

Part of me is worried that we are sleepwalking our way into being a quasi-police state and a fair amount of the population seem to be happy to go along with it.

Having lived in a police state, we are not anywhere close to that. The supposed rules just introduced (eg. wearing a mask on a bus) aren’t even being enforced. I am afraid you are veering into tinfoil hat/Bill Gates is poisoning us with 5G territory. Again if you had lived in a police state with people being ‘disappeared’ and a non existent independent judicial system plus routine torture etc, you would realize how ridiculous you sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Having lived in a police state, we are not anywhere close to that. The supposed rules just introduced (eg. wearing a mask on a bus) aren’t even being enforced. I am afraid you are veering into tinfoil hat/Bill Gates is poisoning us with 5G territory. Again if you had lived in a police state with people being ‘disappeared’ and a non existent independent judicial system plus routine torture etc, you would realize how ridiculous you sound.

He said sleepwalking into a police state. All the jigsaw pieces are on the table here and only takes time to put them together. I believe he has made a very fair observation tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭seansouth35

dalyboy wrote: »
    He said sleepwalking into a police state. All the jigsaw pieces are on the table here and only takes time to put them together. I believe he has made a very fair observation tbh.

We are one of the most democratic countries in the world in everything from press freedom to the independence of our judiciary. The current government is also far too incompetent to start introducing a police state by stealth. The idea the the introduction of public health measures such as mask wearing is some impingement if your human rights is clearly not true, given you can walk around freely without a mask and can travel wherever you want and do whatever you want on your return. I went to France two weeks ago and have not even received a phone call, never mind had my movements restricted. I don’t know know what jigsaw puzzle you are playing with, but I would suggest getting some fresh air.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

We are one of the most democratic countries in the world in everything from press freedom to the independence of our judiciary. The current government is also far too incompetent to start introducing a police state by stealth. The idea the the introduction of public health measures such as mask wearing is some impingement if your human rights is clearly not true, given you can walk around freely without a mask and can travel wherever you want and do whatever you want on your return. I went to France two weeks ago and have not even received a phone call, never mind had my movements restricted. I don’t know know what jigsaw puzzle you are playing with, but I would suggest getting some fresh air.

I never said that we are living in a police state, I said that part of me feels like we are drifting in that direction if cabinet ministers are suggesting that we restrict people’s freedom of movement for economic reasons. I don’t believe that is acceptable in a free country.

The current two week quarantine amounts to an effective travel ban for anyone who cannot work from home, so it is a restriction on people’s freedom, and therefore if it is to be kept in place there needs to be solid scientific evidence underpinning it. I haven’t opposed it up to now but given where we are now I don’t see a compelling reason to keep it in place for other EU countries where the rate of COVID is equal or lower than Ireland.

I for one won't be staying in this absolute joke of a country.

Hilarious how they are dealing with things the last few weeks. No actual rules, or clear messages to the people of Ireland

'Oh, we advise you not to travel, but we won't stop you if you don't, and there are plenty of flights going each day!!'

It's all so bloody stupid. They can't get their point across at all.

Me and my boyfriend are going off to Spain next week for 2 months. Glad to be going, won't be getting ripped off left right and centre going out for a drink/food.

We are lucky in that we work fully online, so can work from anywhere. I feel for people that can't go on holiday because their employer will force them to quarantine unpaid when they return.

I feel safer visiting Spain than I do Ireland. The rules are strict in Spain. In Ireland everyone's too polite to enforce things.

If you go to a shop in spain without a mask, no entry, simple as.

In Ireland if you get on the bus without a mask, the bus driver will let you on no problem (even though it's supposed to be a law since last week).

Would you prefer if it were illegal to leave Ireland right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I think the point is ppl who booked last autumn for this summer would have paid for half board or all-inclusive options which means your spend less to 0 when you get there. Ai in particular can be great vfm. So for those ppl... Its alot to lose... Perhaps 3 to 6 k

quote="Golf is my Game;114096368"]Why are people saying theyl lose money if they dont go on holidays they paid for thats just crazy. Infact theyl save money because they wont spend more when like they would when their there. So it makes no sense to say that. Yes its a pity and disappointing if youd paid for a holidays and was looking forward to it but in the situation then theyve lost not being able to go not the money. So its not really as bad as some trying to make out that if the goverment stops them from going that is costing them money. Their not being sensible in that and I think is just the disappointment which is understandable, stopping them from seeing it properly.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭almostover

I for one won't be staying in this absolute joke of a country.

Hilarious how they are dealing with things the last few weeks. No actual rules, or clear messages to the people of Ireland

'Oh, we advise you not to travel, but we won't stop you if you don't, and there are plenty of flights going each day!!'

It's all so bloody stupid. They can't get their point across at all.

Me and my boyfriend are going off to Spain next week for 2 months. Glad to be going, won't be getting ripped off left right and centre going out for a drink/food.

We are lucky in that we work fully online, so can work from anywhere. I feel for people that can't go on holiday because their employer will force them to quarantine unpaid when they return.

I feel safer visiting Spain than I do Ireland. The rules are strict in Spain. In Ireland everyone's too polite to enforce things.

If you go to a shop in spain without a mask, no entry, simple as.

In Ireland if you get on the bus without a mask, the bus driver will let you on no problem (even though it's supposed to be a law since last week).

Stay in Spain so if you love it so much! I'll be at the airport to wave you off!

I work remotely with Spanish people most days of the week, based in the Barcelona region. Be glad for being Irish and for the approach we have taken. Spain aren't exactly the model to be following.

Spain have lower wages than us, much lower. Hence the lower prices of eating and drinking out.

I'm sick to the back teeth of people giving out about Ireland, calling it a kip, saying I can't wait to leave etc. If that's the case p*ss off and let the rest of us get on with enjoying living on one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with some of the best food, a democratic republic and with a great society of people with strong community spirit (for the most part). Ireland isn't perfect, but it's a great country for the most part.

• Advertisement

Firblog wrote: »
    Have booked a holiday to an area of Spain that has been covid free for nearly a month now - much lower rates than pertain in Dublin, the govt would want me to quarantine for 2 weeks when coming back from my holiday, but not if I spent the 2 weeks in Dublin and traveled back home (where we have a much lower rate)

You do realise your argument is the same fallacy as the 'drink driving is ok in rural areas' argument?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

almostover wrote: »
    Stay in Spain so if you love it so much! I'll be at the airport to wave you off!

I work remotely with Spanish people most days of the week, based in the Barcelona region. Be glad for being Irish and for the approach we have taken. Spain aren't exactly the model to be following.

Spain have lower wages than us, much lower. Hence the lower prices of eating and drinking out.

I'm sick to the back teeth of people giving out about Ireland, calling it a kip, saying I can't wait to leave etc. If that's the case p*ss off and let the rest of us get on with enjoying living on one of the most beautiful countries in the world, with some of the best food, a democratic republic and with a great society of people with strong community spirit (for the most part). Ireland isn't perfect, but it's a great country for the most part.

Wowsers

I’ll skip the coddle thanks

And Leitrim

I’m sure the poster will ignore your waving. Too busy looking forward to landing in an ideal sunshine climate , lovely beaches , great value and quality fresh fruit/veg and food, and fantastic quality accommodation at a quarter of the price of Irish accommodation. Quality of life instead of hamster on a wheel. All earning the same as they’re earning here btw if you read their post correctly.

I find the recent posts from facehugger99 and Lifelike about the major restrictions on our freedom of movement very interesting and I fully agree. And I also find the rubbishing of this viewpoint by other posters typical of the prevailing attitude in Ireland. If you express concern you're accused of having a tin foil hat or being some sort of conspiracy theorist. Or you might also get jumped upon by the morality police.

The poster who said our Govt is too incompetent to be able to move to dictator territory is probably right in that. And it's not military police carrying guns and a network of spies and informers type of thing. But there is nonetheless a subtle and invidious infringement of rights very prevalent in Ireland. A constant sense of being preached at, of being told how to think and what to do that I find very worrying. And even more so because so many in Ireland are brainwashed by this and acquiesce with barely a whimper. The prevailing narrative right now is that we should not travel and that the priority is to open our schools. And the five million of us in this land must tow the line in this new doctrine and rarely in the media is a contrarian viewpoint expressed. We Irish will think what our leaders tell us to think. It's not that long since the Ireland of the Kerry babies, the Ireland where homosexuality was criminalised, where people couldn't get divorced. And because the prevailing doctrine at the time was that these things didn't happen in Ireland most people swallowed it. It was very different abroad, just as it is now albeit in a different context.

Group think is all pervasive in Ireland. God only knows what we'll all be told to think next crisis. And considering that we are a well travelled, educated and cultured people, the lack of dissent, the lack of variety of opinion, is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

That's the expected list - could well have been leaked earlier but not confirmed yet.

I see it contains Greenland. That should be a relief to thousands of people. :rolleyes:

Edit - confirmed now - same list as reported earlier.

dalyboy wrote: »
    I’m sure the poster will ignore your waving. Too busy looking forward to landing in an ideal sunshine climate , lovely beaches , great value and quality fresh fruit/veg and food, and fantastic quality accommodation at a quarter of the price of Irish accommodation. Quality of life instead of hamster on a wheel. All earning the same as they’re earning here btw if you read their post correctly.

They're being paid Irish wages while working remotely. Look if Spain is so great why not up sticks and move there? I like Spain, have holidayed there many times. The people in general are very pleasant. I'm sure they give out about Spain as much as Irish people do about Ireland and when they holiday here they might even marvel at certain aspects of Irish life. The grass is always greener on the other side. No country is perfect, but Ireland is damn good. Spain also is a good country. It just drives me mad when people refer to Ireland as a corrupt kip. It's far from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

acequion wrote: »
    I find the recent posts from facehugger99 and Lifelike about the major restrictions on our freedom of movement very interesting and I fully agree. And I also find the rubbishing of this viewpoint by other posters typical of the prevailing attitude in Ireland. If you express concern you're accused of having a tin foil hat or being some sort of conspiracy theorist. Or you might also get jumped upon by the morality police.

The poster who said our Govt is too incompetent to be able to move to dictator territory is probably right in that. And it's not military police carrying guns and a network of spies and informers type of thing. But there is nonetheless a subtle and invidious infringement of rights very prevalent in Ireland. A constant sense of being preached at, of being told how to think and what to do that I find very worrying. And even more so because so many in Ireland are brainwashed by this and acquiesce with barely a whimper. The prevailing narrative right now is that we should not travel and that the priority is to open our schools. And the five million of us in this land must tow the line in this new doctrine and rarely in the media is a contrarian viewpoint expressed. We Irish will think what our leaders tell us to think. It's not that long since the Ireland of the Kerry babies, the Ireland where homosexuality was criminalised, where people couldn't get divorced. And because the prevailing doctrine at the time was that these things didn't happen in Ireland most people swallowed it. It was very different abroad, just as it is now albeit in a different context.

Group think is all pervasive in Ireland. God only knows what we'll all be told to think next crisis. And considering that we are a well travelled, educated and cultured people, the lack of dissent, the lack of variety of opinion, is staggering.

Id be more worried about people thinking they can think about everything for theselves even on complicated and specialist stuff that clever people spend years studying and do become experts and then some lads who never looked at something before read a bit of youtube and reddit and think they know better and so want to be free to do what they want themselves. Thats the problem right there and these people give a big risk to the rest of it. All for free speech and that but that doesnt give the right to just do what you want. If the emocratic society thing has anything its that we give people jobs to do in it so they can specialise and be better than the rest but that works out well for everybody. Not everyone deciding they experts dont know what their talking about so forget them. So its the smart lads who follow the goverment and services that are trying their best and are the ones in the best place to give the best advice.

Dissent is good, agree fully with you. Opinion without any basis in fact however is unhelpful. Not referring to your post when I say that.

What I'm referring to is people arguing with science based recommendations that wearing face coverings help limit the transmission of COVID-19. Or that international travel increases the exposure of people to COVID-19 and is a conduit for the spreading of the virus.

I'll admit that we do have to find a way to get back to normality with COVID-19 present in our world. But we should do it based on well researched science and based on the guidance of experts in the field of virology. Not based on the opinions of internet chat room contrarian. Again, not referring directly to you.

Exactly where my mind is on this issue. Very well laid out post. It’s amazing how our educated people are ignoring the erosion of our society right in front of their eyes. As these freedoms are removed are any of them asking the fundamental question WHEN DO WE GET THEM BACK ? There is no time scale being presented to any of us. Example is the masks thing. First it’s the buses.... then the shops .... now they’re talking about it being in the fresh air and parks. WTF ? At what point do we say enough is enough ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Don’t believe we’re in or heading towards a police state tbh the scary thing for me are the numbers who would like us to be and just hate anyone questioning anything the so called ‘experts’ say, especially when, in reality they only know a little more about this thing than the man in the street as they’ve proven time and again.

Here's some dissent for you, I think that the consumption of alcohol has no bearing whatsoever on my motor skills and my ability to drive a car safely. Drink driving laws are a conspiracy created by government to control the freedom of choice of the proletariat. I encourage others to think for themselves and make their own mind up on the truth behind drink driving. Sure what harm can a few pints do?

See how this game works???

P.S. I'm not Danny Healy Rae

P.S. I'm not Danny Healy Rae

And funny enough hes that lad who 'cant' wear a mask.I was wondering has he had the test if he has fits of coughing, doesnt sound good for him like. Dail really needs an intelligence test to be brought in as well while their testing him and minimum level to be a TD.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/i-cant-wear-one-because-it-starts-me-into-a-fit-of-coughing-danny-healy-rae-says-he-wont-be-wearing-a-facemask-in-dail-39385745.html

And funny enough hes that lad who 'cant' wear a mask.I was wondering has he had the test if he has fits of coughing, doesnt sound good for him like. Dail really needs an intelligence test to be brought in as well while their testing him and minimum level to be a TD.

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/i-cant-wear-one-because-it-starts-me-into-a-fit-of-coughing-danny-healy-rae-says-he-wont-be-wearing-a-facemask-in-dail-39385745.html

Let's not go there right now, that's a tangent not worth exploring. He should have put a mask around his ears years ago. That way he might have stopped his brain escaping his skull

Dissent is good, agree fully with you. Opinion without any basis in fact however is unhelpful. Not referring to your post when I say that.

What I'm referring to is people arguing with science based recommendations that wearing face coverings help limit the transmission of COVID-19. Or that international travel increases the exposure of people to COVID-19 and is a conduit for the spreading of the virus.

I'll admit that we do have to find a way to get back to normality with COVID-19 present in our world. But we should do it based on well researched science and based on the guidance of experts in the field of virology. Not based on the opinions of internet chat room contrarian. Again, not referring directly to you.

You talk of opinion without basis in fact so can you please show me evidence of a confirmed case of a returning Irish person or tourist from Europe testing positive for Covid?

Because without such evidence and very strong evidence, this travel advisory is opinion without basis on fact. An opinion disagreed with by many experts in Europe.

As for the wearing of face coverings, I didn't even mention that. In fact I have no problem whatsoever with protocols such as face covering, distancing, hand hygiene. My post is about how those in power are overstepping the mark when it comes to people's freedoms. All activity is risky in a pandemic but as many other countries are discovering balance is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Italy on the green list.
    The mind boggles

You talk of opinion without basis in fact so can you please show me evidence of a confirmed case of a returning Irish person or tourist from Europe testing positive for Covid?

Because without such evidence and very strong evidence, this travel advisory is opinion without basis on fact. An opinion disagreed with by many experts in Europe.

As for the wearing of face coverings, I didn't even mention that. In fact I have no problem whatsoever with protocols such as face covering, distancing, hand hygiene. My post is about how those in power are overstepping the mark when it comes to people's freedoms. All activity is risky in a pandemic but as many other countries are discovering balance is possible.

Read back a few pages, an employee in my company returned from abroad (UK) and tested positive for COVID a few months back. Sadly this person passed away since. Do you not remember the story doctor who brought COVID back from Italy and was practicing in multiple locations before he knew he had it? The guidlines are simple, stay in Ireland unless your travel is necessary. If necessary then you dont have to quarantine on your return from the green list countries. No more about it.

Thats not the right way to see facts either. Its a fact that someone could comeing from a European country could bring covid so it folows that restricting travel reduces the risk. Looking for a confirmed case so to have a fact and so to have evidence that travel can bring a covid case is a false way to look at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭VG31

Gael23 wrote: »
    Italy on the green list.
    The mind boggles

Why? Their cases are lower than ours.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Italy on the green list.
    The mind boggles

Their doing great there, but I still dont like to see it because youl have loads of people going there on holidays now and mixing with others and what not which might be safe in one aspect but still risks them coming back to Ireland as shools open and then in September if theres rises in cases you can turn the clock back and say OK close Italy now. Itl be too late.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement