Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Consider what you are saying and the implications of this. Covid is a transmittable disease. If that justifies forcing your staff against their terms of employment to stay at home then that applies to any other disease.

I’m not suggesting or advocating it, just saying it’s happening, first rule for companies is to provide a safe working environment, I have just said this is against the terms for most workers but it’s a catch 22 situation for employers.
    If they’re going to give you an extra fortnight off paid on top of my annual leave then I can accept it.

For me it’s not an issue though see the approach taken by some companies as both an invasion and an underhanded swipe at control outside the workplace.
    But can also see where they’re coming from. (I did start a separate thread about just that) and do on, round and round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

my company had hundred of cases. 800 last I heard.The detah rate is lower than 1% overall. Zero in my company. Far higher in the old folks home where my grandfather lived until he died from Covid. None of that changes the reality of the situation.

how many people in your company are HIV positive? Do you even know? Probable not and the death rate is higher. What about AIDS? Do you know? No because its none of your business and the company would not dream of isolating that person.

What happens when someone comes in with the flu or even a cold? they can kill people too. Are they all sent home? I doubt it.

If I was in western africa would I need to isolate? I could
    bring back Ebola or the black plague and they have a far higher fatality rate.

Jesus wept, the drama that some people like to play out. Yes corona is an issue, thats why countries responded but get a grip will ya? Its here, get over it, be sensible and come out from the bunker

Oh, come on. This is absolute nonsense.

Its nobody's business if their colleague has HIV because you can't get that from casual contact. Ebola is incredibly rare compared to this coronavirus, especially right now. The death rate from Covid is higher than seasonal flu, and it seems to affect quite a large percentage of people quite badly, even if they survive it.

I'm not saying we should all hide at home for the next three years or however long, but this sort of nonsense thinking is just dangerous. It's not 'a bit of flu', it's a horrible, unpredictable, highly contagious disease. I know several people who are seriously ill with it and have been for several months. They're young people who were previously fit and healthy. We shouldn't be hysterical, but the other extreme isn't helpful either, and is part of the reason things got as bad as they did - Western governments going 'ah it's just a bit of flu, it'll be grand'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

zvone wrote: »
    Today in my wifes company, manager told her she (and everybody else) can't have 4 week of paid holidays (as is in her contract), just 3. Reason is unclear... something like... "you was at home for more than 2 month during lock-down". Anyway, during this time she was on 350 euro covid payment, not on company payroll. Is it legal to cut her holliday time?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

No.

You sure about that lad ? I though holiday entitlement was according to days worked done by some formula or else if its a number of days a year then if you like miss two month in the 12 and your 20 days then becomes reduced to like 17 or whatever. The employer could still let you take the 20 days but their paying you more than they have to and can reduce them if they want which is probably what most do them being employers and such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

too be fair to that user, they did. It was for the cancelled rugby game and was well written about at the time

I know what it was they were referring to. They didn't arrive though, it was well written about at the time. :pac:

There were many articles written about how they were going to arrive and infect us all within 10 minutes, but it turned out they didn't arrive at all.

• Advertisement

You sure about that lad ? I though holiday entitlement was according to days worked done by some formula or else if its a number of days a year then if you like miss two month in the 12 and your 20 days then becomes reduced to like 17 or whatever. The employer could still let you take the 20 days but their paying you more than they have to and can reduce them if they want which is probably what most do them being employers and such.

That is correct in so far as my understanding of my own employment contract. The holidays would be pro-rata. The question is whether someone on the COVID payment remained technically employed (in which case they would lose none of their entitlement) or whether their employment was temporarily halted (in which case they would get their holidays cut to reflect time employed). I don’t know what the contractual employment status would have been for someone in her position, who was temporarily on the payment and then taken back. Would probably need an employment lawyer to opine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

No.

Is that a guess or an informed response?

I don't know definitively but if someone is employed for the full 52 weeks of 2020 and are entitled to 4 weeks holiday in 2020 as a result (1 weeks holiday for every 13 weeks employed) then perhaps if they are only employed by the company for 39 weeks in 2020 due to the employee claiming the €350 Pandemic Unemployment Payment for 13 weeks the employee is only entitled, per their contract, to 3 weeks holiday in 2020?

Did you factor that into your thinking before responding so assertively?

Are you one of those people who are often wrong but never in doubt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

That is correct in so far as my understanding of my own employment contract. The holidays would be pro-rata. The question is whether someone on the COVID payment remained technically employed (in which case they would lose none of their entitlement) or whether their employment was temporarily halted (in which case they would get their holidays cut to reflect time employed). I don’t know what the contractual employment status would have been for someone in her position, who was temporarily on the payment and then taken back. Would probably need an employment lawyer to opine

Yes, if you were still working and on the employment subsidy scheme then your still employed and should get your holidays, but if you were on layoff and on the PUP then you werent being paid by the employer so were unemployed/laid off so lose some of your holidays pro rate like you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

my company had hundred of cases. 800 last I heard.The detah rate is lower than 1% overall. Zero in my company. Far higher in the old folks home where my grandfather lived until he died from Covid. None of that changes the reality of the situation.

how many people in your company are HIV positive? Do you even know? Probable not and the death rate is higher. What about AIDS? Do you know? No because its none of your business and the company would not dream of isolating that person.

What happens when someone comes in with the flu or even a cold? they can kill people too. Are they all sent home? I doubt it.

If I was in western africa would I need to isolate? I could bring back Ebola or the black plague and they have a far higher fatality rate.

Jesus wept, the drama that some people like to play out. Yes corona is an issue, thats why countries responded but get a grip will ya? Its here, get over it, be sensible and come out from the bunker

HIV? You'd have to share used syringe needles or have sex with your co workers to transmit HIV. Not quite an apples with apples comparison. I'm not in any bunker, merely explaining the situation with my employer which I'm glad of during the current pandemic. Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

tfeldi wrote: »
    This and similar discussions are focusing on the holidays/ beach type travel. There are a few more shades . I have a dying relative in a country that is close in infection numbers but might just not make it onto the green list. In normal times I would be there to be with the relative and family. Try to balance that off with the potential risk of bringing it back to family/friends here.

That is the exact situation we are releasing a green list for. For compassionate reasons to allow people see family. If some chose to abuse it for their own gratification then it wont be long before another lockdown. Hopefully your desired destination makes the green list. You seem to have your head screwed on regardless and sound like you've assessed the risk appropriately

• Advertisement

Who is lad?

I assumed TWSS as otherwise she was laid off - if TWSS then still employed and assumed working.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭maebee

Back to the thread topic. Will you travel?

It's a big "No" for me. We do a cruise every September. I doubt that I'll ever get on a cruise ship ever again 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

From Citizens Advice site:

"Annual leave and public holidays during lay off or short-time working
    During lay off or short-time working, you still are employed by your employer and your contract of employment remains in force. This means that you are entitled to benefit for any public holidays that occur during the first 13 weeks of lay off.

You do not accrue annual leave during lay off but you are entitled to take annual leave that you accrued before being laid off."

maebee wrote: »
    Back to the thread topic. Will you travel?

It's a big "No" for me. We do a cruise every September. I doubt that I'll ever get on a cruise ship ever again 😥

Depends on who? Who have you sailed with?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

almostover wrote: »
    That is the exact situation we are releasing a green list for. For compassionate reasons to allow people see family. If some chose to abuse it for their own gratification then it wont be long before another lockdown. Hopefully your desired destination makes the green list. You seem to have your head screwed on regardless and sound like you've assessed the risk appropriately

No that's what the gov are saying this week, last week Leo was saying people would be as safe travelling to places on the green list as they would Dublin or Kerry.

I don't hear any other countries stipulating that travel to counties on their green lists is for essential only

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I am presuming that there are no rapid testing facilities at Dublin Airport for arriving passengers, as I can't find anything about it online.

If not, why not? That's bull****. I'm intending on returning to the country early October after 2 years away and obviously I'll be self isolating for 14 days when I get back. However, you'd think they'd have some sort of setup for people, even if it was voluntary, to be tested when they arrive to give themselves some piece of mind.

Depends on who? Who have you sailed with?

We've sailed with MSC, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and a few more. 3/4 thousand people in confinement doesn't appeal to me anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

maebee wrote: »
    We've sailed with MSC, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Norwegian, Princess and a few more. 3/4 thousand people in confinement doesn't appeal to me anymore.

Even if there’s a vaccine? ( yes i know there’s no guarantee of one but it does seem more likely there will be one than there won’t be)

I am quite sure that in the future you will go on a cruise again :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭IHateMondays

might help in terms of finding a pub / restaurant - plenty of choice in Dublin - enjoy
    http://publin.ie/2020/theyre-back-dublin-pubs-opening-on-29th-june/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Barna77 wrote: »
    I haven't followed this thread.

I'm private sector. Can't work from home.

Last March I was laid off. My last day in work, this guy working in my building came back from a holiday in Spain and he didn't isolate. This is March, when the world was pretty much hell bound. I was so pissed off that I could have killed him.
    Add to the equation death of a relative due to covid.

Would I come back from a foreign trip and not isolate and mix with other people ? Not a chance.

Sorry to hear about your relative.

If Spain is green listed, are you still going to isolate on return?

• Advertisement

Agree. Sailed the big ones and the likes of Star Clippers and Seabourne. The lattter no worries - the former no way ever ever.

I can remember back over the past 15 years and they always had the "washy washy" staff with the sanitiser stuff. We used to laugh at them. Little did we know eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JoeDavey

Yes, can’t wait to travel. Off to Dubai next month. Emirates first class with closing door, perfect for these times of wanting to shut out others’ germs and others’ hysterics. ‘Hazard zone’ travel insurance purchased, so no need to wait for a half hearted green list. If private enterprises (airlines) can legally sell me a direct flight from Dublin, holidays are there for the taking. On that point, does anyone know when the lounges at Dublin Airport are re-opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Any news on when are they publishing the green list ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

siochain wrote: »
    I'm expecting us to be told it'll be 'any day now' for as long as they think people will accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Yes.... Shortly!

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

siochain wrote: »

When they get our number below Italy, how was our number of new cases only 6 yesterday when around 20 tested positive on a building site and they say that there are other small clusters, did none of these make it into yesterday’s number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

SwissToni wrote: »
    When they get our number below Italy, how was our number of new cases only 6 yesterday when around 20 tested positive on a building site and they say that there are other small clusters, did none of these make it into yesterday’s number.

Obviously the building site data was not captured. We will see it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭facehugger99

SwissToni wrote: »

It's so transparent how people are being manipulated.

Excluding Italy and Spain from a so-called 'Green List' on the day we announce 6 cases might have had the sheeple questioning Project Fear.

Save up some positive cases and push them out the same day as the green list.

The finger-waggers will lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wallander

Wallander wrote: »
    Does anyone know the 14-day incidence rate for Dublin and how that compares internationally? My guess is Dublin has a similar rate to the UK but I'm happy to be proved otherwise

Well it was reported yesterday Dublin had 55% of Irish cases in past two weeks, population is around 25% of the whole country...the Dublin incidence rate should therefore be more or less double the number for the country I think. That'd be slightly under 10. France 11.5. UK 14.1 currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Mainland France is 5.73 (French government website). The 11,5 figure includes overseas territories, some of which have high rates still.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement