Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭sceach16

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So you’re happy enough to abide by this advice for the rest of your life? The virus IS NOT going away. It’s here for good just like the flu is, it’s never going away. Unless there’s a vaccine the advice will be forever. There is going to have to be a solution to travel. People like me have families abroad. I’m going to see them again like most people will whether you like it or not.

No, I am not happy. Yes, I have family abroad.

While the advice is current, I will unhappilly abide with it. In a crisis, it is one day, one week , one month at a time.

The advice is provided by experts in the area and accepted by Government.

Of course there will always be those who feel they are more important than the common good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

sceach16 wrote: »
    No, I am not happy. Yes, I have family abroad.

Of course there will always be those who feel they are more important than the common good.

I don’t believe you, even if you have family abroad you probably aren’t close to them or rarely see them anyway going by your response.

The common good? Emotional blackmail. You should work for government if you don’t already.

The common good covers a lot of things not just a virus that’s here for good.

Oh i’ll definately avoid a plane going to see family this year, but next year will be a different story and i’m sure i won’t be the only one.

I don’t believe you, even if you have family abroad you probably aren’t close to them or rarely see them anyway going by your response.

The common good? Emotional blackmail. You should work for government if you don’t already.

The common good covers a lot of things not just a virus that’s here for good.

Oh i’ll definately avoid a plane going to see family this year, but next year will be a different story and i’m sure i won’t be the only one.

Pathetic.

sceach16 wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Really? How so? Because people have close family abroad and want to see them? The virus is here to stay so you are going to have to learn to live with it while protecting yourself the best way you can.

Really? How so? Because people have close family abroad and want to see them? The virus is here to stay so you are going to have to learn to live with it while protecting yourself the best way you can.

"I don’t believe you, even if you have family abroad you probably aren’t close to them or rarely see them anyway going by your response."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Baybay

Those who travel are heroes to some, those who stay home are heroes to others.
    Hearts & minds aren’t going to be won either way in this thread, I think.
    We’ve made our decision, friends the opposite. We all know what we think of each other & that’s that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Unsubbing from this nonsense till 2021 - see all you regulars then.

Unsubbing from this nonsense till 2021 - see all you regulars then.

I don’t blame you. Unfortunately the high horse finger waggers will be here in 2021, 22, 23, 24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

Let's get back on track, does anyone know if Hello France are still trading? I know there was some discussions last year about them giving up some mobiles. I've tried contacting them but no luck and all of their social media seems outdated.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

webpal wrote: »
    Let's get back on track, does anyone know if Hello France are still trading? I know there was some discussions last year about them giving up some mobiles. I've tried contacting them but no luck and all of their social media seems outdated.

They and their mobiles are gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Goodbye curtain twitchers, Normandy awaits!
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Eurocamp have just reduced prices again for the potentially green listed Italy (I just checked the .de site but I presume .ie would be the same but I havent a reference to judge if theres a change)

Our booking would have been 10% cheaper from only a few weeks back when we booked it at what was already a very good price, for mid August.

Strange times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

spockety wrote: »
    They and their mobiles are gone.
    Where do you see that? That's a shame they were nice to deal with

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

webpal wrote: »
    Where do you see that? That's a shame they were nice to deal with

I physically inspected. 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Cancelled my September sailing with Irish Ferries today before they took the balance tomorrow. The price of the sailing never went up since when I booked it a few months back so makes more sense to cancel now and see how things go over the next month or so and possibly rebook.

They kept €50 of the initial €100 I paid them. It has to be the worst flexible cancellation option of any travel company I've ever used. I have to cancel a full 42 days before departure and they still keep €50 of it, any later than that and it gets much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

They kept €50 of the initial €100 I paid them. It has to be the worst flexible cancellation option of any travel company I've ever used. I have to cancel a full 42 days before departure and they still keep €50 of it, any later than that and it gets much worse.

Yep. Got stung by them too. They must be the only travel company sticking with their standard T&Cs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Cancelled my September sailing with Irish Ferries today before they took the balance tomorrow. The price of the sailing never went up since when I booked it a few months back so makes more sense to cancel now and see how things go over the next month or so and possibly rebook.

You're not wrong there, they are much tighter than Stena or Brittany. It's hardly worth paying for.

PdljSW.md.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭54and56

Well we finally got the "Greenlist" published earlier tonight and France isn't on it, not for the next two weeks at least which means we'll be cancelling our Aug 1st ferry and campsite booking etc which had already been rescheduled from July 4th.

Feeling a little sad but c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world to move it back to next year (assuming Siblu will provide me with a credit note/voucher) and on the bright side this is the earliest I've ever had next years holiday fully paid for :P

For those of you who do manage to get away, whether because France is "Greenlisted" in a couple of weeks time or you decide to ignore the advice and travel anyway have a great time and stay safe.

Like StoneDeaf4Ever who like me has been a regular contributor to this thread for many many years I'll be stepping away until the current madness dissipates so see you all around Halloween or maybe even Xmas.

Adieu mes amis, vive la France.

54and56 wrote: »
    Well we finally got the "Greenlist" published earlier tonight and France isn't on it, not for the next two weeks at least which means we'll be cancelling our Aug 1st ferry and campsite booking etc which had already been rescheduled from July 4th.

Feeling a little sad but c'est la vie. It's not the end of the world to move it back to next year (assuming Siblu will provide me with a credit note/voucher) and on the bright side this is the earliest I've ever had next years holiday fully paid for :P

For those of you who do manage to get away, whether because France is "Greenlisted" in a couple of weeks time or you decide to ignore the advice and travel anyway have a great time and stay safe.

Like StoneDeaf4Ever who like me has been a regular contributor to this thread for many many years I'll be stepping away until the current madness dissipates so see you all around Halloween or maybe even Xmas.

Adieu mes amis, vive la France.

How bad are things in France at the moment? Is the area you’re travelling to have much disease? The ferry is a lot safer than a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

How bad are things in France at the moment? Is the area you’re travelling to have much disease? The ferry is a lot safer than a plane.

How do you make out the ferry is safer than a plane?
    The planes are almost empty. 20 or 30 people on each flight. In airport masks are mandatory, short hop and voila, enjoying sunny south of France. Just hope my return flight does not get cancelled - could be stuck here till next year 😀

BTW noticeably far less people about this year. Distancing not a issue. Seems to be a whole lot safer here than then pics I’ve seen of some Irish beaches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Latest ECDC map of cases in Europe by region, showing mainland France to be fine:

COVID-19-subnational-eu-eea-14-day-notification-rate-2020-07-16.png?itok=vV0k7gUc

A few other countries like Germany look like they should have been on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭tfeldi

Has anyone been on the Stena line ferry to Cherbourg recently? How was it? Busy? Any questions either side if the trip is essential?

It's not for holiday but I have a funeral to attend in Germany and I'm considering the ferry instead of flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

France is seeing an overall rise in clusters and hospitalisations, particularly this week (208 active clusters, 6640 people in hospital)

Accordingly, the wearing of a mask is obligatory for everyone over the age of 11 in all indoor spaces, and in many outdoor spaces (e.g. the whole of La Rochelle) where the local authorities are concerned by the lack of compliance with social distancing rules and/or a recent rise in cases (mostly tourist destinations). Not wearing a mask (indoors) attracts a fine of 135€ per person per incident; 38€ outdoors, where the rules are in force.

If you're looking for somewhere safe, the South-West is considerably safer/less affected than the rest of the country (except Bordeaux). This'd be a good year to visit some of the places that the Irish regularly avoid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

France is seeing an overall rise in clusters and hospitalisations, particularly this week (208 active clusters, 6640 people in hospital)

Accordingly, the wearing of a mask is obligatory for everyone over the age of 11 in all indoor spaces, and in many outdoor spaces (e.g. the whole of La Rochelle) where the local authorities are concerned by the lack of compliance with social distancing rules and/or a recent rise in cases (mostly tourist destinations). Not wearing a mask (indoors) attracts a fine of 135€ per person per incident; 38€ outdoors, where the rules are in force.

If you're looking for somewhere safe, the South-West is considerably safer/less affected than the rest of the country (except Bordeaux). This'd be a good year to visit some of the places that the Irish regularly avoid! :)

Thanks CelticRambler very useful, where are you getting this info from is it a French Regional news source ?

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Thanks CelticRambler very useful, where are you getting this info from is it a French Regional news source ?

Various local and news sources, and government announcements - I live in France and move around quite a bit for work and leisure, so need to update myself before each move. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

tfeldi wrote: »
    Has anyone been on the Stena line ferry to Cherbourg recently? How was it? Busy? Any questions either side if the trip is essential?

It's not for holiday but I have a funeral to attend in Germany and I'm considering the ferry instead of flying.

I was on Brittany Ferries from Rosslare on 29 June and back to Ringaskiddy on 11 July. From Rosslare on the Kerry ferry it was quiet. On the Pont Aven back to Ringaskiddy I counted 18 cars. It was sad to see a great ship with just a few people on board. The staff were great.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Jeffm587

Various local and news sources, and government announcements - I live in France and move around quite a bit for work and leisure, so need to update myself before each move. ;)

Thanks we have a holiday home an hour east of La Rochelle and 30mins west of Poitiers and it we do get there in August info like this is of interest

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Do you know what the infection rates are northern France? Cherbourg to Roscoff area?

• Advertisement

Jeffm587 wrote: »
    Thanks we have a holiday home an hour east of La Rochelle and 30mins west of Poitiers and it we do get there in August info like this is of interest
    Do you know what the infection rates are northern France? Cherbourg to Roscoff area?

This (government) site provides an overview of the situation. Give the map time to load, and you can then zoom in to see the data for each département.

Advertisement