Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Marronn05

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Thanks for your concern. I went over so that I could report back on this thread. :eek:

Bahahahaha brilliant 🀣🀣🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Thanks for your concern. I went over so that I could report back on this thread. :eek:

:-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I should probably take a closer look at the map of France and get my areas right, wouldn't want to annoy the locals :)

Yes Brittany or Normandy is where I'm looking at the moment, probably close to Cherbourg as I'm in Dublin and the Dublin-Cherbourg ferry would be more convenient than Rosslare.

It's more a question of getting accurate info rather than annoying anyone! ;)

But as it happens, the north-eastern part of Normandy and all of Ile-de-France is now upgraded to a status red warning for heat this weekend, with temperatures above 40°C. More info (same link as above - it updates as-and-when)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Is there a place to check numbers and restrictions and up to date info on Brittany?

Numbers here (local health authority website - very detailed, but destined primarily for residents)

Other info here (local newspaper, includes articles about planned measures as well as those in force)

From the newspaper link above, this page includes a map of all communes in the Finistère département with mask-rules over and above the national rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭daesal

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    I tried to cancel in time via phone for a week. 6 calls on auto hold 45 minutes each time. Impossible to get through or leave a message. Then sent several emails recording the fact that I tried to cancel within time for a full refund.

Then I tweeted at them saying all that and about an hour later got a response via DM apologising and offering to refund to my credit card less an admin charge in line with contract. I said yes please thank you very much.

Amazing to get such a swift response via shouting at them in public in contrast to their so called customer service channels.

(Deleted my tweet afterwards to save anyone the trouble of looking for the thread)

Hi .Sorry to bother you again. Did they offer to give you the money back on your card straight away? I have been on twitter today and gave got absolutely nowhere with Irish Ferries. They still have my money lodged as "credit" but say that they wont refund me. Despite them bring too late to answer my booking for another crossing.
    On twitter they said they wont refund me?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 woodstocklive

Hi folks. I'm sorry different topic but returning to Ireland at weekend in order to get my self isolation completed before returning to work. Just wondering if Passenger Locator Forms will be available onboard Brittany Ferries or would I need to download one here in France.

Hi folks. I'm sorry different topic but returning to Ireland at weekend in order to get my self isolation completed before returning to work. Just wondering if Passenger Locator Forms will be available onboard Brittany Ferries or would I need to download one here in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Ladylouth

Irish Ferries gave them to us as we checked in a few weeks ago.

Thanks Ladylouth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Irish Ferries gave them to us as we checked in a few weeks ago.

Brittany Ferries gave me the forms at check-in at Roscoff. Very simple form ... just name, address and phone number.
    We had no call. It's just a formality if a case was found on the ferry.
    It's the same as Irish restaurants taking your name and phone number ... just in case.

daesal wrote: »
    Hi .Sorry to bother you again. Did they offer to give you the money back on your card straight away? I have been on twitter today and gave got absolutely nowhere with Irish Ferries. They still have my money lodged as "credit" but say that they wont refund me. Despite them bring too late to answer my booking for another crossing.
    On twitter they said they wont refund me?!?

The Twitter thing didn't go too well !!!
    They banned me from their page 😂😂 😕
    But from reading twitter...seems to be a lot in the same boat (or not , prob not d best analogy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Cancelled for the second time this year :( - IF are sorting out a credit note if I book another trip for next year before the end of this year (would not even entertain money back - but I will go next year anyway - covid allowing).

Hotel cancellation was painless as I hadn't paid in advance, so it could cancel up to 24 hours before arriving. I also booked travel car insurance and the company are quite happy to move that to next year when I rebook.

Those of you going and self isolating on your return I wish you a wonderful holiday and will yiz pick me up a few bottles of Bordeaux white and red...ta (θ‿θ)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Crystal ball time. Apologies I haven't been following this thread for a while.

I'd love another ferry trip to France next year. It has always been our family holiday and as my teens are older now we may soon be at the stage of not going as a family anymore. I would love to get another year or two out of them. I also have to change my car now so I have to figure out will I need another 7 seater or scale down.

Are ye booking for 2021? Surely by this time next year we will be back to some kind of normality? What do ye think?

Pretzill wrote: »
    Cancelled for the second time this year :( - IF are sorting out a credit note if I book another trip for next year before the end of this year (would not even entertain money back - but I will go next year anyway - covid allowing).

Hotel cancellation was painless as I hadn't paid in advance, so it could cancel up to 24 hours before arriving. I also booked travel car insurance and the company are quite happy to move that to next year when I rebook.

Those of you going and self isolating on your return I wish you a wonderful holiday and will yiz pick me up a few bottles of Bordeaux white and red...ta (θ‿θ)

A wee word of warning if/when you are rebooking using your credit. Irish Ferries charge the fare at the time of processing your booking NOT when you email the request in. So if it takes 16days by email (as it does at the moment) the fare can have risen a lot. I have tried to get Irish Ferries to email or twitter me a quote prior to making a booking but they wont do this for some reason. Also be careful of the phone charges if you ring in. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

daesal wrote: »
    A wee word of warning if/when you are rebooking using your credit. Irish Ferries charge the fare at the time of processing your booking NOT when you email the request in. So if it takes 16days by email (as it does at the moment) the fare can have risen a lot. I have tried to get Irish Ferries to email or twitter me a quote prior to making a booking but they wont do this for some reason. Also be careful of the phone charges if you ring in. Hope this helps

Thanks. I know this. My initial tarriff for travel was 150 euro dearer (I had a voucher for it) when I changed it to September it was cheaper and the voucher just disappeared - They only credit you back money you've paid not vouchers - I am going to see if they can do anything for me here because I'm sure it will be more expensive next year - with all the cancellations.

Thanks. I know this. My initial tarriff for travel was 150 euro dearer (I had a voucher for it) when I changed it to September it was cheaper and the voucher just disappeared - They only credit you back money you've paid not vouchers - I am going to see if they can do anything for me here because I'm sure it will be more expensive next year - with all the cancellations.
    Good Luck, I hope you succeed. It seems like they behaving really badly. You're probably right about the prices too. If they know loads of people have their money tied up in "credit" to spend then there is no reason to offer competitive fares...Irish Ferries already have their / your / my money 💰! Terrible behaviour. It sits very uneasy with me that they are taking advantage of Covid 19 like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Hey folks! I saw on the IF website that the ship is sailing to France on schedule over the past few days (probably over the whole summer I don't know, but I just happened to look there today).. anyways... was wondering if people are actually taking the boat over for holidays? Or has anyone been at the port and seen it is only just trucks and vans etc borading?

We had been hoping (before everything went to s**t) to get away maybe around now or early Sept, so we were just looking at the IF site out of courisity. Wishful thinking of a lovely few weeks in France, but sure maybe next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scoondal

andy69 wrote: »
    Hey folks! I saw on the IF website that the ship is sailing to France on schedule over the past few days (probably over the whole summer I don't know, but I just happened to look there today).. anyways... was wondering if people are actually taking the boat over for holidays? Or has anyone been at the port and seen it is only just trucks and vans etc borading?

We had been hoping (before everything went to s**t) to get away maybe around now or early Sept, so we were just looking at the IF site out of courisity. Wishful thinking of a lovely few weeks in France, but sure maybe next year...

I don't know about Irish Ferries, but Brittany Ferries restarted passenger trips on 29 June.

andy69 wrote: »

Ferry has been over and back all summer. We cancelled our usual holiday at the end of June as things were still dodgy, and we then made a new booking in July. Very few holidaymakers on ferry both ways, but some. Lots of parts of the boat closed off, but loads of social distancing space. Had a lovely break, stayed very much to ourselves (gite, not campsite). ON the day we left, we were actually right up at the ferry boarding area before we saw another roof box - it was weird!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

MorganIRL wrote: »
    :-) :-)

Right yeah you all clap each other on the back for travelling abroad in the middle of a pandemic.
    It’s not ok to travel to Kildare, Offaly or Laois.....but you think it’s ok to go to France for a holiday?! Get a grip

• Registered Users Posts: 40 VintageJelly

Ladylouth wrote: »
    Ferry has been over and back all summer. We cancelled our usual holiday at the end of June as things were still dodgy, and we then made a new booking in July. Very few holidaymakers on ferry both ways, but some. Lots of parts of the boat closed off, but loads of social distancing space. Had a lovely break, stayed very much to ourselves (gite, not campsite). ON the day we left, we were actually right up at the ferry boarding area before we saw another roof box - it was weird!

And this doesn’t tell you something?! Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Heading home from Normandy, fantastic weather in the main, with a few thunderstorms last night.
    Campsites all busy, did a bit of wild camping and an aire or two as well.
    As with Ireland, a lot of social community events cancelled, some Brocants going ahead.
    Wearing of masks where ordained is at 100% compliance,
    Super comfortable sailing coming over, lots of space on the ferry.
    Probably about 60 cars and 20 motorhomes on it, plus freight.
    Stocking up with wine today and tomorrow, then back to Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

Right yeah you all clap each other on the back for travelling abroad in the middle of a pandemic.
    It’s not ok to travel to Kildare, Offaly or Laois.....but you think it’s
    ok to go to France for a holiday?! Get a grip

Seriously u get a grip, I cancelled my holiday in France this yr and just after 2 wks staycation in Munster. My choice, lovely break, and as much chance of me and my family getting covid as in France, from what we saw from a social distance. If people want to go to France, let them. I personally won't be talking to them for 2 wks until they got the all clear. But someone asked a question not an opinion. Keep your snowflake opinion too yourself, you don't know what people have experienced in the last 5 months. Why u dragging up something that was commented on over a week a go and 3 pages ago. I laughed at a humorous response to ur self centered comment. I hope u have a safe summer and an even safer winter, cause that's when the real sh1te is gonna hit.

It’s not ok to travel to Kildare, Offaly or Laois.....but you think it’s ok to go to France for a holiday?! Get a grip

Right now, here in central France, I'm hosting people from France, Belgium, Wales, Germany, Ireland and the Netherlands, and was on the receiving end of a similar rant from someone I considered a reasonably good friend (up to now). This gathering was loosely organised over the course of the last three months, on basis of "if things work out" and I offered my house as no-cost accommodation because I knew that it'd be one less thing for my guests to worry about.

What I was not expecting was the change in character in each and every one of my guests as they've settled into the easy-going lockdownless voluntary semi-quarantine that is my normal rural French life. The youngest makes a comment every day to the effect of how grateful she is to have been able to escape for a while, and how these few weeks here will help her cope with whatever misery awaits her when she goes back to her Covid-infected housing estate.

There is one active case of Covid in my area and feck-all chance that any of my guests will bring it back home with them; instead, they'll be taking away a head full of happy memories and the reassurance that they've got somewhere safe to return to if they need another mental-health break during the Second Wave.

And this doesn’t tell you something?! Wow.

It does tell me something. It tells me that lots of people made a different choice to ours - they chose not to travel as that was what felt right for them. We assessed our situation and made a different choice, as we live in a free country. You take care of your 2 metres and those around you, and we will take care of ours and those around us. This forum is for ferry and France information, if you want to wag fingers, take yourself off somewhere else.

Right now, here in central France, I'm hosting people from France, Belgium, Wales, Germany, Ireland and the Netherlands, and was on the receiving end of a similar rant from someone I considered a reasonably good friend (up to now). This gathering was loosely organised over the course of the last three months, on basis of "if things work out" and I offered my house as no-cost accommodation because I knew that it'd be one less thing for my guests to worry about.

What I was not expecting was the change in character in each and every one of my guests as they've settled into the easy-going lockdownless voluntary semi-quarantine that is my normal rural French life. The youngest makes a comment every day to the effect of how grateful she is to have been able to escape for a while, and how these few weeks here will help her cope with whatever misery awaits her when she goes back to her Covid-infected housing estate.

There is one active case of Covid in my area and feck-all chance that any of my guests will bring it back home with them; instead, they'll be taking away a head full of happy memories and the reassurance that they've got somewhere safe to return to if they need another mental-health break during the Second Wave.

Good for you! I have faced significant, potentially life ending health challenges in the past, and remain in a high risk category. I value health as much as the next, believe me, including mental health. Have been strong and positive in all previous challenges, but lock down damn near broke me. Best decision we made was to go to France this year, away from the hysteria and judgement, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. We have family who staycationed in much more crowded scenarios than ours, and we kept our distance from them when they returned just the same as we restricted our movements on our return.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭zambo

Having sailed with celtic and then stena rosslare to cherbourg for the last 10years or so I decided to try Irish Ferries from Dublin. BIG MISTAKE.
    After cancelling our holiday this year I see that as well as the flexi fare they have taken another 25% total 48 euro from my 100 e booking fee. When I asked how they worked out the amount they told me at booking time I had signed to say I had read terms and conditions. No explanation of how it worked.
    So it has cost me 48 euro to find out what a **** company Irish Ferries are
    and I hope our government have not given them any covid payments.
    As long as I live I will never do business with them again they can invest the 48 euro in advertising for passengers but they have forever lost the chance of my custom as a regular sailer for the next 10 or more years.
    They seem to believe in the quick buck and hope the public will forget how they screwed us during the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Hi folks,

Quick question about the Azure and Azure plus homes from Eurocamp.

Where do you guys put a cot?
    It looks from the floor plan example that you wouldn't fit one beside the double bed.

Do you put the cot in the living room or another bedroom?
    If another bedroom, can one of the beds be moved/removed to give a bit more space?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

zambo wrote: »
    Having sailed with celtic and then stena rosslare to cherbourg for the last 10years or so I decided to try Irish Ferries from Dublin. BIG MISTAKE.
    After cancelling our holiday this year I see that as well as the flexi fare they have taken another 25% total 48 euro from my 100 e booking fee. When I asked how they worked out the amount they told me at booking time I had signed to say I had read terms and conditions. No explanation of how it worked.
    So it has cost me 48 euro to find out what a **** company Irish Ferries are
    and I hope our government have not given them any covid payments.
    As long as I live I will never do business with them again they can invest the 48 euro in advertising for passengers but they have forever lost the chance of my custom as a regular sailer for the next 10 or more years.
    They seem to believe in the quick buck and hope the public will forget how they screwed us during the pandemic.

Hate to be the one to say it, but it does say in the T&Cs that the flex fare will cost 25% if you cancel between 21-41 days before departure. I'm guessing you're in that time frame, if not then by all means demand a refund.

https://www5.irishferries.com/Rules/EN/FLXMF.asp

I do sympathise though. I'm considering the Flex fare but in most cases you won't be cancelling until a few days before, in which case you lose 75-90% of your booking cost. At that price, it's barely worth the added expense.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement