Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »
    We need at least 2 carriers in our back row. For me as it stands our best option is CJ, VDF & Conan/Doris. If Leavy can get back to form then he enters the conversation, but that remains to be seen. Beirne is nowhere near a starting berth in the back row. Too many others offer more than him. Has he even nailed down a starting place for Munster? From recollection he's been moved between second row and back row a bit, starting and benching?

Agree with all of this. Stander is our best 6 and (I think) is better there than at 8. I don't think Conan is a long-term answer so I'd love to see Doris get another run after his Six Nations didn't pan out.

At 7, I think VDF is a lot more secure than people here think, Leavy has a lot of ground to make up but if he does it will be awesome to have two very good and quite different options.

I don't think Beirne will rise above the 19/20 jersey tbh. He might not even be starting for Munster (in any position) this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Agree with all of this. Stander is our best 6 and (I think) is better there than at 8. I don't think Conan is a long-term answer so I'd love to see Doris get another run after his Six Nations didn't pan out.

At 7, I think VDF is a lot more secure than people here think, Leavy has a lot of ground to make up but if he does it will be awesome to have two very good and quite different options.

I don't think Beirne will rise above the 19/20 jersey tbh. He might not even be starting for Munster (in any position) this season.

Beirne will start at club level but at International I dont see it against the top teams. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Not that I have said it before but I want to see
    Conan, VDF, Stander as a backrow. Doris has to be the backup at the moment to Conan.

The Scotland team are poor, the Welsh had a nightmare against us. We beat them at home which to be fair most of us expected. The big game was England and it was telling again the backrow as a unit got hammered again. When Ireland are playing well the backrow are playing well, it is critical to the team.

I know options limited with Conan out and then Doris taking a hit on head but we need to switch it up, if we play Stander/VDF/POM v Italy we will win. If we play them against France we won't. It is as simple as that. Against the top teams it is not good enough. Pointing back to 2018 is useless at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Beirne will start at club level but at International I dont see it against the top teams. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

Not that I have said it before but I want to see
    Conan, VDF, Stander as a backrow. Doris has to be the backup at the moment to Conan.

The Scotland team are poor, the Welsh had a nightmare against us. We beat them at home which to be fair most of us expected. The big game was England and it was telling again the backrow as a unit got hammered again. When Ireland are playing well the backrow are playing well, it is critical to the team.

I know options limited with Conan out and then Doris taking a hit on head but we need to switch it up, if we play Stander/VDF/POM v Italy we will win. If we play them against France we won't. It is as simple as that. Against the top teams it is not good enough. Pointing back to 2018 is useless at this stage.

While I largely agree, I would say that the pack as a whole have been an issue since the start of 2019, not just the back row. I think a lot of that is a confidence thing. We took our eye off the ball in the 2019 6Ns which took us down a slippery slope that will take some time to come back from fully. But its not like our front 5 were domonating the contact areas on those games where we really struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Wegians89

6 stander
    7 vdf
    8 Doris
    20 leavy

Impact from leavy could be a game changer, assuming he gets back to his best

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Wegians89 wrote: »
    6 stander
    7 vdf
    8 Doris
    20 leavy

For me Leavy is the best player in the back row, obviously this is based on pre injury but if he gets back there I think he’ll start. Not sure of where but he brings something the others don’t, he’s actually incredibly strong over the ball in defence and must be an enormous pain the hole to play against. He’s also surprisingly quick although his strange run makes him look slower as he seems to run from the knee down. I’ve mentioned this before but a mate of mine reckons if he was a kiwi he’d have been crowned the new Richie Mc Caw.

• Advertisement

salmocab wrote: »
    For me Leavy is the best player in the back row, obviously this is based on pre injury but if he gets back there I think he’ll start.

Maybe this is harsh, but Leavy's last game for Ireland was nearly two years ago and at a time when Ireland were on an incredible run of form. Now, he had a great 6N that year, but maybe if he'd been around for the malaise of 2019, who knows? I don't think we really know where his true level is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Reckon the November series will go ahead at all?

Know global calendar was meant to be sorted by end of last month and apparently is meant to be sorted by end of this month. If it goes on much longer wonder does that mean less chance it will

Eod100 wrote: »

Know global calendar was meant to be sorted by end of last month and apparently is meant to be sorted by end of this month. If it goes on much longer wonder does that mean less chance it will

Which November series? the original one is now gone. The new one which seems to throw up new dates and combinations every week will happen in some sort of capacity unless a large outbreak in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Maybe this is harsh, but Leavy's last game for Ireland was nearly two years ago and at a time when Ireland were on an incredible run of form. Now, he had a great 6N that year, but maybe if he'd been around for the malaise of 2019, who knows? I don't think we really know where his true level is yet.

He was excellent up to then I think, for both Leinster and Ireland. Obviously he might have got dragged down when the team went south a bit but I think the Leavy who got injured is the best back row in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

There was talk of a 6Ns plus Fiji and Japan a few weeks ago. Not sure what format it would follow.

To be honest the rugby authorities need to start making decisions.

It feels like Rugby is being left behind and is in danger of being forgotten about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

For me Leavy is the best player in the back row, obviously this is based on pre injury but if he gets back there I think he’ll start. Not sure of where but he brings something the others don’t, he’s actually incredibly strong over the ball in defence and must be an enormous pain the hole to play against. He’s also surprisingly quick although his strange run makes him look slower as he seems to run from the knee down. I’ve mentioned this before but a mate of mine reckons if he was a kiwi he’d have been crowned the new Richie Mc Caw.

He's a good, strong carrier and not as slow as he sometimes appears. I think people remember the Saracens try where he looked like he was running in quicksand.

But he's not agile or quick off the mark. I think it's potentially his only genuine weakness as it impacts his defensive ability. The Australian try which completely burned him in midfield was a real glaring example. I don't think Van der Flier would have made the tackle but he would have read it and adjusted to at least slow Beale down. Leavy was like a bus trying to slow down and turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Which November series? the original one is now gone. The new one which seems to throw up new dates and combinations every week will happen in some sort of capacity unless a large outbreak in Ireland

Ah I kinda assumed that about original one but didn't know it had been cancelled. Is the new one this season's 6N games with other test games thrown in?

Ah I kinda assumed that about original one but didn't know it had been cancelled. Is the new one this season's 6N games with other test games thrown in?

Something like that, all sorts of rumours

He was excellent up to then I think, for both Leinster and Ireland. Obviously he might have got dragged down when the team went south a bit but I think the Leavy who got injured is the best back row in the country.

At one stage people feared he might not walk again properly. I think if the guy gets back playing rugby with no long term risk it will be a bonus. Anything after that is incredible.

Prior to injury he was the best in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Wegians89 wrote: »
    6 stander
    7 vdf
    8 Doris
    20 leavy

I don't really see it with van der Flier. You'd be looking for someone who doesn't make a substantial impact physically to really excel when it comes to reading the game and being in the right place at the right time to support play. I don't really get that sense with van der Flier, and his link play doesn't really stand out either. Connors could give you tackle count like JvdF, but make more of an impact with more dominant tackles. Then Leinster and Ireland also have Leavy and Penny for openside, and Moloney and O'Brien in the academy - who are perhaps suited to openside best of all out of the three backrow positions (Moloney due to his relative lack of size and O'Brien due to his smarts and handling skill).

This might sound very, very harsh right now, but if Leavy can get back near his best I think Leinster should maybe be thinking about moving van der Flier on when his contract is next up for renewal.

All that said, it's probably unfair to judge him from playing in such an unbalanced backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Best uncapped at international level IQ XXIIIs

Leinster
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Dan Sheehan
    3. Vakhtang Abdaladze
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Brian Deeny
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    11. Cian Kelleher
    12. Conor O'Brien
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Hugo Keenan

16. John McKee
    17. Edward Byrne
    18. Thomas Clarkson
    19. Jack Dunne
    20. Scott Penny
    21. Rowan Osborne
    22. Harry Byrne
    23. Liam Turner

Munster
    1. Jeremy Loughman
    2. Kevin O'Byrne
    3. James French
    4. Gavin Coombes
    5. Thomas Ahern
    6. Fineen Wycherley
    7. John Hodnett
    8. Jack O'Sullivan
    9. Craig Casey
    10. J.J. Hanrahan
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Dan Goggin
    13. Alex McHenry
    14. Calvin Nash
    15. Matt Gallagher

16. Rhys Marshall
    17. Liam O'Connor
    18. ?
    19. Paddy Kelly/Eoin O'Connor
    20. Jack Daly
    21. Nick McCarthy
    22. Ben Healy
    23. Liam Coombes

Connacht
    1. Paddy McAllister
    2. Shane Delahunt
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    4. Gavin Thornbury
    5. Oisín Dowling
    6. Sean O'Brien
    7. Jarrad Butler
    8. Paul Boyle
    9. Caolin Blade
    10. Conor Fitzgerald
    11. Alex Wootton
    12. Peter Robb
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Peter Sullivan
    15. Stephen Fitzgerald

16. Dylan Tierney-Martin
    17. Denis Buckley
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Niall Murray
    20. Eoghan Masterson
    21. Stephen Kerins
    22. Conor Dean
    23. Oran McNulty

Ulster
    1. Eric O'Sullivan
    2. Adam McBurney
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. David O'Connor
    5. Alan O'Connor
    6. Matthew Rea
    7. Reuben Crothers
    8. Nick Timoney
    9. Dave Shanahan
    10. Billy Burns
    11. Rob Lyttle
    12. James Hume
    13. Stuart Moore
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Louis Ludik

16. John Andrew
    17. Andrew Warwick
    18. Ross Kane
    19. David McCann
    20. Greg Jones
    21. Johnny Stewart
    22. Angus Curtis
    23. Ethan McIlroy

Ireland?
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Kevin O'Byrne
    3. Tom O'Toole
    4. Ryan Baird
    5. Gavin Thornbury
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Will Connors
    8. Nick Timoney
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    11. Shane Daly
    12. Dan Goggin
    13. Tom Farrell
    14. Robert Baloucoune
    15. Matt Gallagher

16. Adam McBurney
    17. Eric O'Sullivan
    18. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    19. Alan O'Connor
    20. Paul Boyle
    21. Caolin Blade
    22. Billy Burns
    23. Jimmy O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Interesting selections - lots I'd agree with.

From an Ulster perspective, wouldn't have Timoney in the Ireland team and would have Rea Jr ahead of McCann on the Ulster bench. You've also forgotten about Michael Lowry, who'd be at FB for Ulster or possibly back-up out-half.

If you want 23s with the Most Potential, that's one thing. But while Ciaran Frawley could well turn out better in the long term than Billy Burns, he is currently not better than either Burns or Hanrahan. Burns was in the Six Nations squad.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Keynan Knox for TH qualifies (or does so soon, I think) who would fill your missing Munster spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

There could be an argument for Ian Henderson at six too.

VM2 showing England v Ireland from 2006. What a cracking game.

The speed of Stringer's service is something else. D'Arcy was unbelievable.

And if you put Geordan Murphy in a position to make a decision, he's going to make the wrong one.

Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would love to have seen prime Stringer in today's team. Him and ROG were unlucky that their weaknesses amplified the other's but that kind of quick service could be great to see with more threat in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

And if you put Geordan Murphy in a position to make a decision, he's going to make the wrong one.

Good times.

The other thing about Stringer's passing was the way the ball sat up. It arrived in the receiver's hands in the perfect position to be shifted on.

Forgot how good Horgan was that day and Murphy had a bit of a mare tbh. The other thing that stood out was just how good O'Gara was in his prime. I don't think I've ever seen a better kicker out of hand, whether it was a restart or a kick in behind. However his ability to run a back line, especially considering his lack of any real threat with the ball in hand, was second to none and something he doesn't get much credit for outside of Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Good times.

Those Wilkinson-less years were pretty grim for England. Andy Goode at 10 and I had to google who Dave Walder was on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Yeah England 2004-2010 were pretty average. Yet made the World Cup final in 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Thoroughly enjoyed the game.

What a finish from Horgan. It gets better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

David Wallace at the 55:30 mark is something to behold:
    https://youtu.be/OwgBJPw2oOY?t=4475

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

I found clips on Youtube. David Wallace at the 55:30 mark is something to behold.

That the 50 yard break off scrappy lineout ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Great memories. Almost more enjoyable those victories when not weighed down by the expectations today’s teams have. This was the beginning of it all in a very real competitive sense. Beaten on points difference by France twice.

As an aside that’s my favourite ever Ireland jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

However his ability to run a back line, especially considering his lack of any real threat with the ball in hand, was second to none and something he doesn't get much credit for outside of Munster.

Steady on. He was a beautiful passer into midfield but he certainly wasn't second to none for running a back line even at his peak. There were several others who would largely and deservedly considered more creative and effective backline managers during that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Dunney848

I don't really see it with van der Flier. You'd be looking for someone who doesn't make a substantial impact physically to really excel when it comes to reading the game and being in the right place at the right time to support play. I don't really get that sense with van der Flier, and his link play doesn't really stand out either. Connors could give you tackle count like JvdF, but make more of an impact with more dominant tackles. Then Leinster and Ireland also have Leavy and Penny for openside, and Moloney and O'Brien in the academy - who are perhaps suited to openside best of all out of the three backrow positions (Moloney due to his relative lack of size and O'Brien due to his smarts and handling skill).

This might sound very, very harsh right now, but if Leavy can get back near his best I think Leinster should maybe be thinking about moving van der Flier on when his contract is next up for renewal.

All that said, it's probably unfair to judge him from playing in such an unbalanced backrow.

That’s a simplistic comparison. Van set flier is a lot quicker around the pitch and more likely to be able to defend whereas Connors only defends near in. Come up against any sort of decent team with good backs and Van Der Flier is the man you want plugging holes and breaking his ass to cover the 13-15 channels in defence.

Van Der Flier also gains more metres per carry and gets you over the gainline more often, up the park on the front foot and puts the opposition marching and defending backwards. It’s these tiny margins that win tight games and the regular punters don’t see. Connors gives you the same tackle count but who is the better defender to have???? I prefer the player with greater stamina and speed to defend beside me if I’m a back and the clock is in the 78th minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement