Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

People can come up with statistics to prove anything... 14% of people know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭wassie

Hibernian is a PLC. It has to give regular and true business updates. So a synopsis of it statement.

Commercial rents are 90% of it rental business 3.5% is deferred from Q2 to be paid this month and 1% is unpaid. It also stated it noticed footfall increasing back into its commercial office spaces.On Residential properties which only make up 10% of its contracted rents it has collected 95% of rents due.

This indicates that rents are being paid at present.

I don't think Hibernia is representative of all REITs though. They claim they are are noted for having a "high-quality tenant base weighted towards the technology sector and state entities" i.e. their tenants are more likely to be able to pay rent during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,733 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

30% of US households missed their June mortgage payment and 32%, July's. Mortgage applications were up 33% on the same time last year. Pending home sales jumped 44.3% from April to May, the largest increase ever. Also there was a largest ever recorded surge in commercial rent delinquencies from May to June.

I predict that...umm...errr...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Hibernian is a PLC. It has to give regular and true business updates. So a synopsis of it statement.

Commercial rents are 90% of it rental business 3.5% is deferred from Q2 to be paid this month and 1% is unpaid. It also stated it noticed footfall increasing back into its commercial office spaces.

On Residential properties which only make up 10% of its contracted rents it has collected 95% of rents due.

This indicates that rents are being paid at present.

Yeah but your reading an RTE summery of the report not the report:

https://www.hiberniareit.com/media-centre/news/news-2020/09-07-2020
    https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/uk/hibernia_reit/rns/regulatory-story.aspx?cid=955&newsid=1401385

1% of rents went unpaid in the Mar-Jun/Q2 period and its at 5.5% so far Q3 (early days though)

Rents on payment plans: 0% Q1 to 3.5% Q2 to 7.5% Q3

0.5% has been waived already in Q3

I don't think you can draw many hard and fast conclusions yet, there is a long tail of the COVID effect and COVID isn't done yet. Uptake on new leases, exercising breaks and num of renewals will be very interesting.

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

cnocbui wrote: »
    30% of US households missed their June mortgage payment and 32%, July's. Mortgage applications were up 33% on the same time last year. Pending home sales jumped 44.3% from April to May, the largest increase ever. Also there was a largest ever recorded surge in commercial rent delinquencies from May to June.

spit it out......what do you predict?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Marius34 wrote: »
    I saw many examples how statistics are misused in this thread.

For example Financial institution builds 5 models for Property price forecast. It get 5 results for each model showing decrease of: 5%,6%,7%,8% & 15%
    They would probably report that they forecast Property price decrease between 5% to 15%.
    What would be expected media headline?
    What we would see here on the board after read media news?

We would see "you would be **CRAZY** to buy a house now" like we see after every post.

Iceman29 wrote: »
    spit it out......what do you predict?

Something will happen in the property market that some people will like, but that others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

cnocbui wrote: »

I read an article on this in June.
    Something to do with holidays falling at the weekend. The following Monday or Tuesday is when all the payments go through and very few have missed them by then, even though in the reports they are down as missed. Papers looking for headlines again. And the ones that have missed them they are in the same mortgage holiday system that we have here.

If you look up wherever you got the report you'll probably find links to an explanation like that in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKTMlRZnHDY

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

But wait, according to some on here the COVID shock has only affected those low income workers who were never going to buy a house anyway.

So how are so many people who already own homes unable to pay their mortgages...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

GreeBo wrote: »
    We would see "you would be **CRAZY** to buy a house now" like we see after every post.

By some yes, but what I meant from the data point of view, the news headlines would be Institution X predicts property price to fall up to 15%.
    The message in this thread would be: Institution X predicts 15% fall. (not 5%)

Reversal wrote: »
    But wait, according to some on here the COVID shock has only affected those low income workers who were never going to buy a house anyway. ........

I think that anyone who thought that realised after a few weeks that they were wrong..........lots of folk reckoned they'd be back in the office and that schools were going to reopen in April, May or June.

People underestimated how seriously the pandemic was/is taken by government, folk mentioning that it's mainly elderly folk who were at risk etc generally have no appreciation of the amount of immuno compromised folk that are out there also.

I'd have thought more would have needed to avail of a payment break then what's reported "Close to 62,500 households have availed of a mortgage payment break, with another 52,000 consumer loan breaks granted"

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I read an article on this in June.
    Something to do with holidays falling at the weekend. The following Monday or Tuesday is when all the payments go through and very few have missed them by then, even though in the reports they are down as missed. Papers looking for headlines again. And the ones that have missed them they are in the same mortgage holiday system that we have here.

If you look up wherever you got the report you'll probably find links to an explanation like that in the comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKTMlRZnHDY
    That’s the fourth month in a row that a “historically high” number of households were unable to pay their housing bill on time and in full, up from 30% in June and 31% in May.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/08/32-percent-of-us-households-missed-their-july-housing-payments.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

5 (4 1 beds and a 2bed) apartments and a commerical unit in New Market Hall D8 just went up on Bidx1 as separate lots. All currently vacant possession.

Does anyone why that might happen? I'd probably be keen on the 2 bed at the right price. But not if the building is in some way doomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

errlloyd wrote: »
    5 (4 1 beds and a 2bed) apartments and a commerical unit in New Market Hall D8 just went up on Bidx1 as separate lots. All currently vacant possession.

Does anyone why that might happen? I'd probably be keen on the 2 bed at the right price. But not if the building is in some way doomed.

Could be a single landlord selling up.

I know a number of units where I have a property were sold by a single developer as a job lot last year and he definitly took less per unit than they'd have fetched individually, but then selling them for the best price (ie 1 or 2 at a time) would have taken quite alot of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

But wait, according to some on here the COVID shock has only affected those low income workers who were never going to buy a house anyway.

So how are so many people who already own homes unable to pay their mortgages...

One reason is that the criteria to purchase a house were a lot more relaxed in the past. I wonder what proportion of those already in arrears or with restructured mortgages took a break?

Well.... as we learned in 2008, its not only people who can't pay their mortgages who will stop paying if there is no perceived penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

Unable or gaining some rainy day money just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

LJ12345 wrote: »
    Unable or gaining some rainy day money just in case?

I know a couple who have only a few years left on their mortgage. Because they had to cancel their holidays this year, they took the mortgage break. They are going to use the money for a big holiday blowout next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Nearly half a million quid for this:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/5-new-ireland-road-rialto-dublin-8-d08-x7fy/4437212

I don't get how/why anyone who could actually afford that would want to live there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

Markitron wrote: »

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/5-new-ireland-road-rialto-dublin-8-d08-x7fy/4437212

I don't get how/why anyone who could actually afford that would want to live there

needs a heap of money spent on it too

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LJ12345

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know a couple who have only a few years left on their mortgage. Because they had to cancel their holidays this year, they took the mortgage break. They are going to use the money for a big holiday blowout next year.

It’s happening all over, I know people looking to extend their house and saving has just been fast tracked by a mortgage break. Another couple have used the mortgage break to very sensibly get rid of their other higher interest loans. Both are still able to pay their mortgage and will do so after the 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The only reason would be if they couldn't get better value elsewhere.

LJ12345 wrote: »
    It’s happening all over, I know people looking to extend their house and saving has just been fast tracked by a mortgage break. Another couple have used the mortgage break to very sensibly get rid of their other higher interest loans. Both are still able to pay their mortgage and will do so after the 6 months.

I must admit, it occoured to me. I didnt do it, because mainly I'm not saving for anything in particular and I don't have other loans, but I did think to myself that this is probably a hassle free to just kick it to touch for a few months without any blowback on my credit rating, so if I'd needed it for something smart, I'd have done it. Decided against it as I'd just love to get my mortgages paid off - not that either are close, but taking a break for no real reason didnt seem smart.

I'm sure lots of people have had this same thought process.

The Belly wrote: »
    needs a heap of money spent on it too

Yea, really weird.
    The only reason would be if they couldn't get better value elsewhere.

I am no expert on the market, but if you can't get better value than that then the market is insane

I don't know... on the face of it, I'd agree - doesnt seem great value, but Rialto is a bit trendy these days and theres a lot of competition for houses around that price point. Its not a huge number for a professional couple.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Thank goodness the banks are so well capitalised now, it's not a financial crisis, nothing to see here...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭combat14

SozBbz wrote: »
    Rialto is a bit trendy these days

Admittedly I have only recently returned to Dublin after 5 years away, but this is news to me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

combat14 wrote: »

This is the same daft report that was discussed all day yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement