Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Royals

Anybody got potterleagh mark or loyal calves on the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Royals wrote: »

1 potterleagh marl calf, easy calving thats about it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

One Potterleagh Mark bull, didn't think much of him til he got creep feed, ended up making 920 @290kg.
    Two Loyal bulls, both PB, easy calving. Last years one didn't look great til he hit 11 months, this years one is off a heifer, bit light in the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭High bike

One Potterleagh Mark bull, didn't think much of him til he got creep feed, ended up making 920 @290kg.
    Two Loyal bulls, both PB, easy calving. Last years one didn't look great til he hit 11 months, this years one is off a heifer, bit light in the bone.
    would Loyal be suitable for maiden heifers calving at 24/25 mts?

High bike wrote: »
    would Loyal be suitable for maiden heifers calving at 24/25 mts?

Would depend on the heifer, ours was older than the age we'd normally bull at, as she repeated twice to On-Dit straws before I changed tack & put Loyal on her.
    Her cow lineage were also good calvers so the calf practically shot out of her. So yes, I'd use him on heifers if they're 450/470kg or over.

On the other hand, our contractor had a heifer sectioned to him too :pac:

• Advertisement

Would depend on the heifer, ours was older than the age we'd normally bull at, as she repeated twice to On-Dit straws before I changed tack & put Loyal on her.
    Her cow lineage were also good calvers so the calf practically shot out of her. So yes, I'd use him on heifers if they're 450/470kg or over.

thanks I’ll prob give him a miss so, they’r 430/440 I’d say might try Knell instead

thanks I’ll prob give him a miss so, they’r 430/440 I’d say might try Knell instead

Know nothing about him, I would normally go for THZ but just fancied a change up for a bit. Would take THZ over Loyal, put it that way.

Know nothing about him, I would normally go for THZ but just fancied a change up for a bit. Would take THZ over Loyal, put it that way.
    had knell on a first time calver this year and no issues,I have a couple of thz in the tank is he easy enough fo heifers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Used Ivor LM2014 on a couple of cows that calved this year. He seems to be very easy calved, would be ok to use on heifers i’d say.

tanko wrote: »
    Used Ivor LM2014 on a couple of cows that calved this year. He seems to be very easy calved, would be ok to use on heifers i’d say.
    no shortage of stars there anyway,were they commercial or pedigree ,what are the calves like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

no shortage of stars there anyway,were they commercial or pedigree ,what are the calves like?

I’ve used him on both, no problems calving....his calves have a bit of style about them.:D I posted pictures of them a few months back.

Commercials.
    They’re grand i suppose, nice shape to them, they seem to be very light boned tho.
    They’re not like ZGM calves which start putting on muscle and a shapely back end after a few weeks.
    LM2014 would be easier calved than ZGM i’d say.

had knell on a first time calver this year and no issues,I have a couple of thz in the tank is he easy enough fo heifers ?

He's the only bull I've used continuously on heifers and never had to pull one. Have a 3rd calver off him & while she'll never be big, she breeds very well in comparison to larger cows. Wouldn't be as flashy stock off him as other bulls though they mature nicely.
    6 of our calves this year are off a THZ son, was expecting them to be average enough but am surprised by how shapey they all are.

I've LM2014 put on a heifer this year too, if she holds she'll be 22 months at calving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Have a lovely ivor heifer off a eby springer, tuny when born too

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

Personally think the docility stars is a lot of bull. More to do with the cow who's rearing it, how they react to human contact.
    Monkey see, monkey do.

Exactly. Docility in stock is surely 95% management.
    Fellas who see cattle once a day, if that, from the road, or the jeep or the quad, and expect animals with good behaviour around humans.
    Then to add fuel to the fire, the same lads get up close and personal to the stock only when dehorning, injecting, dosing or testing. All the stock see from their masters is fuggin grief and torture.
    If I was a 700kg cow, in that kind of set up, I know who I would line up for a bit of a maul given the chance..💥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Exactly. Docility in stock is surely 95% management.
    Fellas who see cattle once a day, if that, from the road, or the jeep or the quad, and expect animals with good behaviour around humans.
    Then to add fuel to the fire, the same lads get up close and personal to the stock only when dehorning, injecting, dosing or testing. All the stock see from their masters is fuggin grief and torture.
    If I was a 700kg cow, in that kind of set up, I know who I would line up for a bit of a maul given the chance..��

Very true, 5 minutes spend in a field every now and again breaking off a few ash branches for cattle can be the most valuable time anyone could spend. I have a LMX bullock that the flies have attacked (think he cut it on barbed wire) and every 3rd evening or so if I have time I a break a bit of a branch off a tree and the cattle all gather around me and I get a get a spray of tar on it. Its far handier than trying to get him into the pen every few days. In actual fact when he is in the crush he can be difficult enough and try to jump out of it. He is out of OKH Keltic Handsome, good bullock but I would class him as difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I know of a man that would never have a limousin into the place. I had a pedigree limousin that I bought last year she was quiet coming into the place. Anyways she calved recently and I could milk her by hand when she calved. Ive a mix of bucket reared and suckler cows /calves. I can pet 70%of them and get within arms reach of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've had no luck with On-dit straws I bought from Munster AI either. I think I've used 4 straws and none held.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

I've had no luck with On-dit straws I bought from Munster AI either. I think I've used 4 straws and none held.

have a on dit daughter from one of my better cows, you know what she is nice quiet cow but nothing special, thought she would be greatest cow ever with all the talk of him being a cow maker but she is not even that milky

• Registered Users Posts: 10,738 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've had A few lads into the place recently and all have commented on how quiet my pedigree cows are. They all stood around while we walked tru them. One fella says "Jaysus, ye must live with them".

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

I've had A few lads into the place recently and all have commented on how quiet my pedigree cows are. They all stood around while we walked tru them. One fella says "Jaysus, ye must live with them".

Ah, you should be able to leave your hand on any cow you have in the field. Some might shift away a bit, and more stand for a bit of a scratch.
    I couldn’t put up with anything even slightly flighty.
    I’m throwing a small bit of creep feed in an open trough the other side of the fence now. Calves are coming through no problem now once I arrive with my bucket. I stand there next to the trough and all are gathering around and having their fill. It’s a great way to get calves to settle down to close human contact. If you are keeping some of the heifers for replacements, better again.
    That said, one fifth calver always quiet as an old donkey, flipped this year after calving ...... two months on, she’s still a bit “bright”!!! No fuggen way am I giving her the bull again. She won’t by flighty when she’s hanging up ....

That said, one fifth calver always quiet as an old donkey, flipped this year after calving ...... two months on, she’s still a bit “bright”!!! No fuggen way am I giving her the bull again. She won’t by flighty when she’s hanging up ....

Did you have to do anything with her calf last year- injections etc? Noticed a couple of years ago that cows whose calves needed attention at birth one year seemed more protective the following year. Could have just been coincidence though!

Did you have to do anything with her calf last year- injections etc? Noticed a couple of years ago that cows whose calves needed attention at birth one year seemed more protective the following year. Could have just been coincidence though!

No. Nothing like that to be honest. She had a tough calving this year, which is probably the core reason. To be honest, I was afraid to go into the pen with her, as she was clearly.not in the mood for intervention. I left her at it, even though it was clear to me she just wasn’t able to present the calf. Eventually after about five hours, I got her to stick her head through one of the headlock barriers, and managed to lock her. Got vet and we managed to get a very nice LM2395 bull calf out of her. Twisted uterus. I fear she will be mental for ever more!

annubis wrote: »
    have a on dit daughter from one of my better cows, you know what she is nice quiet cow but nothing special, thought she would be greatest cow ever with all the talk of him being a cow maker but she is not even that milky

Have five cows off On-Dit here, he’s not a milk improving bull that’s for sure.
    Length and frame improving but not milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Seanhorse91

Royals wrote: »

I’ve both. Around 5 off Loyal, 4 would be pedigree. Savage easy calving, had him on a Charolais first calver at 24 months and she slipped out a lovely heifer. Definitely would use him on heifers again.
    Pedigree Charolais heifer had a Potterleagh mark heifer calf. No bother calving on her own, and a lovely shapey now.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

annubis wrote: »

i'm the same, I had a 4-5 on-dit straws and all i got out of them was 1 heifer and she's nothing special!! will probably sell her.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I have a few on-dit cows here and they are absolute smashers no shortage of milk and great shape producing excellent calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭RD10

Had a hellios heifer the other day, Nice calf, also polled which is a bonus. Seems like she's going to be very quiet too - it's funny she'll stand there nice and quiet in the field beside mama.
    Think I'll be keeping as a replacement as the mother is nice and milky.
    Anyone else have experience of hellios?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

RD10 wrote: »
    Had a hellios heifer the other day, Nice calf, also polled which is a bonus. Seems like she's going to be very quiet too - it's funny she'll stand there nice and quiet in the field beside mama.
    Think I'll be keeping as a replacement as the mother is nice and milky.
    Anyone else have experience of hellios?

I don't have any hellios calfs but I have an excel Calf the same way she will always come over and start licking my trouser when in herding. She is a definite keeper to she has a great back end on her and mammy has milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Good to know that, have them in the tank and used none yet and have a cow to bull and was going to use him, it be fieldstone alfy now.

Advertisement