Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

High bike wrote: »
    Quick question.Did a bit of reseeding 6/7 weeks ago and due to lack of rain it’s a bit slow taking off .Would it be ok to throw a few heifers approx 420 kgs into it or wait and cut it .Prob should be sprayed but thinking of grazing instead,what o ye think???

If its fit to be grazed then graze it. Dont think your supposed to spray in drought conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Reggie. wrote: »
    If its fit to be grazed then graze it. Dont think your supposed to spray in drought conditions.
    was thinking that thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I would leave it alone until it gets ⅚a good shot of rain. Grazing will stimulate it to grow and it will be under even more stress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

Most simple and cheapest seeder out there would be the guttler. Just plug in and go. Bit of setting up at the start but once done it's done forever. Cheaper and less electronics than the APV.

Oh Reggie what have you done......

Guttler Seeder (200 L) on its own is €4920 delivered - still has to be fitted after that to our own Rakeman 3000

APV MDP 100MI 5.2 box. GPs speed sensor €4060 + €350/€400 fitted to our own Rakeman 3000

Any experience/ knowledge of the Guttler Prismatic Roller (rear mounted) with seeder €12300

Would the Guttler Prismatic Roller be better than a Disc Harrow which the OH wants to buy for reseeding. We have a roller but rarely use it, we use the Rakeman instead.

Between adding the Guttler Seeder to our own Rakeman & buying a Disc Harrow there wouldn't be a whole lot in the difference of keeping the Rakeman as it is & buying the Guttler Prismatic Roller with seeder....

Will be selling our APV KS 40 M2 seeder - got very little use, nothing wrong with it except it's not great in windy weather.

Would love your opinion - the good, the bad & the ugly....

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭joe35

Question for ye. We sprayed off a field back in March, kind of a rushed job when we seen the good weather. Anyway the grass didn't strike so will have to re do it again.

The field was full of ferns and the grew back. I said we where too early spraying as the ferns weren't growing.

The father says that round up is no good on ferns anyway as the root is too deep.

So question is does round up kill ferns

• Advertisement

And another question. How long would you want to leave the field before you cultivate it? TIA

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

joe35 wrote: »

As far as I've ever seen, round-up kills everything.

Re the roots on ferns: pull up a few and you'll see if they're deep or not then.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

And another question. How long would you want to leave the field before you cultivate it? TIA

Usually min 10 days but 3 weeks gives abit of time for the weeds to die

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Question for ye. We sprayed off a field back in March, kind of a rushed job when we seen the good weather. Anyway the grass didn't strike so will have to re do it again.

The field was full of ferns and the grew back. I said we where too early spraying as the ferns weren't growing.

The father says that round up is no good on ferns anyway as the root is too deep.

Answer is no, you want Asulam or what was Asulox. Only problem is that its been pulled from the market unless you're spraying by helicopter, it's not available for spot spraying or tractor spraying. Go figure! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

I am looking for some advice and have checked the thread but I am not sure my particular query has been answered. I will be cutting 6 acres for silage towards the end of week. I am looking at stiching in grass seed to help the old sward after cutting. We have a full tank of watery slurry and being a small farm this is our opportunity to get out all the slurry in one go on these fields and a few more grazed fields. This will be done by the contractor using the trailing shoe. I read its best to put out 0-7-30 but would it be OK to put out the slurry at maybe 2000 gallons on these fields, if we drill in one direction, criss cross with the trailing shoe. graze every 2-3 weeks then for the next 3 rounds and hope for a good take. Any advice greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

I think spreading of lime is important after seeding. There is more knowledgeable people than me on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,103 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Baalbec10 wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice and have checked the thread but I am not sure my particular query has been answered. I will be cutting 6 acres for silage towards the end of week. I am looking at stiching in grass seed to help the old sward after cutting. We have a full tank of watery slurry and being a small farm this is our opportunity to get out all the slurry in one go on these fields and a few more grazed fields. This will be done by the contractor using the trailing shoe. I read its best to put out 0-7-30 but would it be OK to put out the slurry at maybe 2000 gallons on these fields, if we drill in one direction, criss cross with the trailing shoe. graze every 2-3 weeks then for the next 3 rounds and hope for a good take. Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'd spread slurry with a splash plate, the idea of slurry is to ensure contact with the soil ,trailing shoe will only work where it goes and might even hamper germination

Is the field getting sprayed off first?
    What method of stitching

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Do a soil test, it only costs about 1/3 the price of a bag of grass seed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Baalbec10

Is the field getting sprayed off first?
    What method of stitching

No it won't be sprayed off, we just want to take the chance to add in new grass varieties. Fields were soil tested this spring and pH is perfect and indexes were very good. It will be direct drilled in to slots cut in the field and the seed blown in. Just over a bag an acre. This was just a thought as conditions are good and we have a chance to do a large area for us. The slurry has to go out regardless and it will be by trailing shoe so if we could get a few acres of new grass stitched in it would work out well. If ye think the slurry will effect the seedlings coming on well we will leave it until next spring and just spread slurry after the silage. Thnaks again for the responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

As a matter of interest, what would people think of putting the grass seed into the slurry?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Water John wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, what would people think of putting the grass seed into the slurry?

Couldn’t see coming out very even.

No it won't be sprayed off, we just want to take the chance to add in new grass varieties. Fields were soil tested this spring and pH is perfect and indexes were very good. It will be direct drilled in to slots cut in the field and the seed blown in. Just over a bag an acre. This was just a thought as conditions are good and we have a chance to do a large area for us. The slurry has to go out regardless and it will be by trailing shoe so if we could get a few acres of new grass stitched in it would work out well. If ye think the slurry will effect the seedlings coming on well we will leave it until next spring and just spread slurry after the silage. Thnaks again for the responses.

If your going that way itll get soil contact no bother. Make sure the slurry is watery but not trailing shoe as it could smother out some of the seed. Splash plate would be better.

No N at all only 0 7 30 as N will cause the old grass to smother out the new seedlings. Tbh its nearly abit early to stitch on once the grass ain't sprayed off as there is still great growth out there for the old pasture. You might be better off waiting for the second cut or later in the year.

If ya go ahead dont let the grass grow more than 1000 cover before grazing or roughly 2 weeks. After about 3 grazings then you can apply N as the new grass should be ready to go.

Make sure you get the stitching grass mix. Itll mainly consist of tetraploids and these are fast growing varieties like abergain

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Earnshaw

Is it OK to graze a newly reseeded field with weanlings?

I've read that new pasture that has been ploughed will be devoid of a lot of nutrients and the cattle will end up getting sick if left too long in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Earnshaw wrote: »
    Is it OK to graze a newly reseeded field with weanlings?

I've read that new pasture that has been ploughed will be devoid of a lot of nutrients and the cattle will end up getting sick if left too long in it.

It'll be quite the opposite.
    The newly reseeded field will be the cleanest pasture free from parasites you'll get. The wealings will thrive on it.
    That grass the same as any new plant will be full of vitality and have access to all the minerals that are turned up with the sod.
    The only cavaet and it may be where you're reading material came from is the ploughing exposes organic/carbon to an aerobic environment and with that bound nitrogen is released when that carbon turns to carbon dioxide. If you apply much artificial nitrogen on top of that after it can lead to scouring of the animals grazing that sward.

• Advertisement

I’m going to broadcast clover seed today on a field that had silage cut off it last week. Rate will be 2kg/acre.

Will try to get watery slurry off a dairy neighbour but if he’s not around, I’ll probably graze it with cattle in a fortnight to give the clover seedlings/shoots a chance.

Don’t plan on spreading any fertiliser on it. It’s only 5 acres so couldn’t justify buying a ton of 0-7-30.

Anything else I can do to help the clover get established?

I’m going to broadcast clover seed today on a field that had silage cut off it last week. Rate will be 2kg/acre.

Will try to get watery slurry off a dairy neighbour but if he’s not around, I’ll probably graze it with cattle in a fortnight to give the clover seedlings/shoots a chance.

Don’t plan on spreading any fertiliser on it. It’s only 5 acres so couldn’t justify buying a ton of 0-7-30.

Anything else I can do to help the clover get established?

You broadcasting with a fert spreader

You broadcasting with a fert spreader

Yeah, it was with a fertiliser spreader. Went OK in that the seed was spread evenly enough over the 5 acres. Raining here now so hopefully that’ll help

Yeah, it was with a fertiliser spreader. Went OK in that the seed was spread evenly enough over the 5 acres. Raining here now so hopefully that’ll help

2kg an acre would have been way too heavy in my mind

2kg an acre would have been way too heavy in my mind

Ok, noted for future reference. I followed “recommended rates” in the IFJ and on a few seed seller websites. I was assuming they were advising the max rate (that is, highest sales!) as usual.

But this was my first time trying it, and it’s only 5 acres, so I don’t mind too much being caught a little bit this time.

Ok, noted for future reference. I followed “recommended rates” in the IFJ and on a few seed seller websites. I was assuming they were advising the max rate (that is, highest sales!) as usual.

But this was my first time trying it, and it’s only 5 acres, so I don’t mind too much being caught a little bit this time.

Yeah 2kg per acre is max. Usually you aim for 1kg as itll spread naturally itself. Anymore than 2 kg a head and you could have issues with bloat or the clover smothering out the grass

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

anyone every spray silage grass with roundup before mowing? heard Teagasc on about it before. I am going to reseed a meadow that will be cut in the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah 2kg per acre is max. Usually you aim for 1kg as itll spread naturally itself. Anymore than 2 kg a head and you could have issues with bloat or the clover smothering out the grass

2kg fine for over sowing.
    1kg fir reseeding

2kg fine for over sowing.
    1kg fir reseeding

Way too heavy as clover can be already in the swarth.

• Advertisement

RobinBanks wrote: »
    anyone every spray silage grass with roundup before mowing? heard Teagasc on about it before. I am going to reseed a meadow that will be cut in the next week or so.

Yeah but it has to be cut on the 7th day. Not sure why but that's the rule. No earlier or later. I'm sure someone will inform us why

Advertisement