Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Elements are the basic building blocks of compounds and minerals are composed of many elements

the words are often confounded, eg mineral deficiencies are elemental deficiencies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

ganmo wrote: »
    theres only 88 elements in the normal peroidic table of the elements, 10 of them are gasses at sea temp so that bit I'm calling bull carp

Well I hope you have a big dinner plate for that bull carp. :D

Take it up with these sort of crowds.

https://seaagri.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    the words are often confounded, eg mineral deficiencies are elemental deficiencies

That they are. If you have a magnesium deficiency, like in grass tetany in spring and autumn, you won't be treating with straight magnesium but some compound like calcined mangesite(cal mag or MgO) in the feed. In acute cases, you'll be injecting with something like Magnesium sulphate into the vein, a different compound.

So an elemental deficiency is treated with minerals containing Magnesium with different absorption rates, if that makes sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Declare me bonkers.

But seawater sprayed on at 4 litres per acre diluted at 20:1 would solve those palatable issues.
    But I've done it myself and it definitely would improve those palatable issues.
    I've Tyrella in a field and kind of had problems before but went with the diluted seawater two years ago and no problems since.

Have you actually collected sea water from the shore, diluted 4 litres in 80 litres of tap water and spread it on grass land with a boom sprayer.. Or am I asking a silly question.

This would be a brilliant way of sweetening after grass on silage ground, following slurry application, or any patches of grass land made "sour" with animal urine and cow dung. I presume you're not spreading SweetGrass as well

Have you actually collected sea water from the shore, diluted 4 litres in 80 litres of tap water and spread it on grass land with a boom sprayer.. Or am I asking a silly question.

This would be a brilliant way of sweetening after grass on silage ground, following slurry application, or any patches of grass land made "sour" with animal urine and cow dung. I presume you're not spreading SweetGrass as well

Not a silly question at all.
    I have done all that and even went to 10 litres/acre on the garden. And it's still growing. I used non treated well water for dilution.

No I'm not spreading SweetGrass this year or last.

There's a hell of a lot of information being shared on the natural gardening/vegetable groups on Facebook that most farmers here would gawp at or dismiss because they didn't learn that in ag college.

• Advertisement

Seawater Spray.

I am definitely giving it a go. Thanks for mentioning the "non treated well water", I only wish we had some, the old wells and pond were filled in years ago.

Seawater Spray.

I am definitely giving it a go. Thanks for mentioning the "non treated well water", I only wish we had some, the old wells and pond were filled in years ago.

Try a small bit first.
    Even though I have done it myself. I still don't want to get the blame on this anonymous forum. :pac:
    Look it up elsewhere on the net too but at 4litres per acre there should be no damage. If it works properly in a few days you should see the grass turn darker.
    But as I say and it says elsewhere it's really only a once in a 5 year or more thing.

What I'm currently trying to do here now that I've that behind me is get carbon levels in soil built up anyway I can. Dung, slurry, woodchip, biological ways, anyway I can.

Try a small bit first.
    Even though I have done it myself. I still don't want to get the blame on this anonymous forum.

No worries, it will be with a watering can, on uneaten dark green patches of grass

No worries, it will be with a watering can, on uneaten dark green patches of grass

That's the shot. And that's how I tried it out first.
    Well in the back garden anyway. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

How many acre bags of grass seed would you use when reseeding eg. just a bag to the acre or a little extra?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,953 ✭✭✭alps

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    How many acre bags of grass seed would you use when reseeding eg. just a bag to the acre or a little extra?

15kg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,388 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Dakota Dan wrote: »

Depending on the time of year and your own preference. Spring usually 13kg min and autumn about 15kg min to account for losses

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Reseeded 9 acres on 7 May. It was dry going in and had no rain for the first two weeks or so but has had a fair drop since but it’s fierce slow coming.

It was disked twice and one good cut of power harrow, sowed and rolled. Soil samples taken beforehand and limed and fert accordingly.

The only parts up are the tractor Tyres from rolling and even they are very bare still. The field is still mainly brown.

Neighbor says it should still come and suggested a light rolling again as it’s a little loose on top.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Will come. Sat oats in April, it has been very slow.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Reseeded 9 acres on 7 May. It was dry going in and had no rain for the first two weeks or so but has had a fair drop since but it’s fierce slow coming.

It was disked twice and one good cut of power harrow, sowed and rolled. Soil samples taken beforehand and limed and fert accordingly.

The only parts up are the tractor Tyres from rolling and even they are very bare still. The field is still mainly brown.

Neighbor says it should still come and suggested a light rolling again as it’s a little loose on top.

Any suggestions?
    It will come no bother. Reason the tyre tracks are up first is because it is more compacted there. The fact it got no rain for the first 2 weeks means it didn't germinate till it got rain which means it's about 2 weeks behind.

I bet you'll go out one morning and there will be shoots about 2 inches tall everywhere that will appear overnight.

That's the usual story with reseeds. Theres no way it didn't take. Absolutely lovely grass growing weather the last while

DO NOT roll it again because if its germinated you could kill the seedlings

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Dunedin wrote:

Have one the exact same with seed put in around the same time. Seed came up well at the headlands first after a very slow start after the dry weather, the rest of the field is coming along fine now. Put it down to the extra rolling when overlapping turning at the headlands. Give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Reggie. wrote: »
    It will come no bother. Reason the tyre tracks are up first is because it is more compacted there. The fact it got no rain for the first 2 weeks means it didn't germinate till it got rain which means it's about 2 weeks behind.

I bet you'll go out one morning and there will be shoots about 2 inches tall everywhere that will appear overnight.

That's the usual story with reseeds. Theres no way it didn't take. Absolutely lovely grass growing weather the last while

DO NOT roll it again because if its germinated you could kill the seedlings

Spot on Reggie. Dud one here around the same time. The headlands came up great and the rest of the field not so much, in the last 10 days more seed has germinated in the bare parts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Anyone ever have bother with leather jackets?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Omallep2

Hi,
    I have a few acres that I plan to reseed in autumn. Advice needed: there are docks in the field. Should i spray with dockstar when they come back post topping or just leave and kill with roundup application pre disc/stiching?

visatorro wrote: »

Mainly just tillage lads that deal with them but are a surge once they get into a field. Could kill everything

• Advertisement

Omallep2 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have a few acres that I plan to reseed in autumn. Advice needed: there are docks in the field. Should i spray with dockstar when they come back post topping or just leave and kill with roundup application pre disc/stiching?

I'd just kill with roundup at the tail end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Shallow pass with disc and firm rolling.

Shallow pass with disc and firm rolling.

Would rolling at night do anything or is that just for slugs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,217 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ha Waffle, like any good chef, slice and squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭High bike

Did a bit of reseeding in April unfortunately the weather didn't play ball and have a lot of weeds up. Sprayed with Legumex a week ago and have been advised to cut it rather than graze, a guy maintains grass will come back better after cutting .What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would rolling at night do anything or is that just for slugs

Talking to a lad recently who had to reseed again after leather jacket and crows. Never had any bother myself thank fook

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

I done a bit of reseeding early May and put 4 bags of 10-10-20 to the acre out at the time. Would it be an idea to apply some Nitrogen in the next few weeks or is there any need? I dont plan on cutting it, will graze with a few sheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There was a lad on here a couple of months ago, asking about dealing with them, he was plagued with them, and whatever spray he had used is now gone, (think he might have been in Clare)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Talking to a lad recently who had to reseed again after leather jacket and crows. Never had any bother myself thank fook

Would have though if there were enough leather jackets to ruin the grass, that the crows would have been after them, (more eating in a leather jacket than grass seed)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

RobinBanks wrote: »
    I done a bit of reseeding early May and put 4 bags of 10-10-20 to the acre out at the time. Would it be an idea to apply some Nitrogen in the next few weeks or is there any need? I dont plan on cutting it, will graze with a few sheep.

Yeah I would. A bag of can or half s bag of urea in this weather

Advertisement