Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Reseeding/Stitching Discussion Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,369 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

DJ98 wrote: »
    What would be the best spray to use to kill off grass and weeds prior to ploughing?

There is a spurious version of roundup out there (cant think of its name) and €80 for 20L. Most lads use that around here. 6L a hectare is the rate but lads go a little stronger to get a guaranteed kill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭DJ98

Reggie. wrote: »
    There is a spurious version of roundup out there (cant think of its name) and €80 for 20L. Most lads use that around here. 6L a hectare is the rate but lads go a little stronger to get a guaranteed kill

If the field being sprayed off had a high weed infestation would it be best to spray it off first and then top or vice versa?

If the field being sprayed off had a high weed infestation would it be best to spray it off first and then top or vice versa?

Hard to know without seeing it but if killing off it shouldnt make much of a difference really. Dead is dead. It's not like your being selective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Ah yeah it was stitched so. Just was asking as I know a fella that got an erth agriseeder in late last year and the field kinda got very wet/ flooded and it didnt take at all. He wasnt impressed.
    Just was wondering if you got it done the same way what yours would've turn out like.

Was it the famous westmeath contractor?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Rosate

• Advertisement

That I'm not sure about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭Markcheese

That I'm not sure about

Can't really blame the contractor if the field flooded afterwards ,
    I've seen reseeds that were a weedy mess over winter into spring because they weren't lightly grazed or topped , they came right when they were topped ,
    But it would have been "all the contractors fault " if the ressed had failed due to poor management by the farmer ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Can't really blame the contractor if the field flooded afterwards ,
    I've seen reseeds that were a weedy mess over winter into spring because they weren't lightly grazed or topped , they came right when they were topped ,
    But it would have been "all the contractors fault " if the ressed had failed due to poor management by the farmer ..

When I say flooded I dont mean a foot of water over the whole field. I meant a few puddles lying for a day or two in certain areas. I reckon that slugs got at it or something. I seen the same with my own that was done with the powerharrow but it tightened up. The farmer claims very little to nothing struck in the field.

Never said it was the contractors fault either I was just asking a question to compare is all. Trust me I've seen all sort of issues with all type of reseeds in my time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭DJ98

Is it gone too late in the year to sow clover?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

I would not say do. Showed some this week

Time enough upto sept

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

This is a paddock I reseeded in April. I mixed plantain, chicory and clover with the grass seed.
    I decided to go with that mix as my own little trial more so than any financial reason. I didn't spray off the maize stubble before I harrowed it.
    I just went in with a tine harrow and then a one pass. There's a few weeds through it like red dead nettle and an odd thistle. Grazed once so far and heifers are going back in tomorrow.

davidk1394 wrote: »
    This is a paddock I reseeded in April. I mixed plantain, chicory and clover with the grass seed.
    I decided to go with that mix as my own little trial more so than any financial reason. I didn't spray off the maize stubble before I harrowed it.
    I just went in with a tine harrow and then a one pass. There's a few weeds through it like red dead nettle and an odd thistle. Grazed once so far and heifers are going back in tomorrow.

Was thinking of doing some mixed species myself but the field I'm looking at has a tendency to flood. Dont think they like that sort of ground

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was thinking of doing some mixed species myself but the field I'm looking at has a tendency to flood. Dont think they like that sort of ground

I set some in a wet boggy field that had plenty rushes so will let you know it goes when the rain comes in Autumn.

Looks bone dry at the moment, and I know we had little rain since March, but I’m hoping the longer root lengths from different grasses might help with soakage.

Biggest issue so far is docks. Topped it last week so we’ll see how it comes back after that

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think those species mix, like what David has, would be very beneficial for replacement heifer dairy calves. The tetraploids monograss sward grows a lot and calves only eat the tips, leaving a lack of diversity and trace minerals in their diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,100 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

davidk1394 wrote: »

Did that get any fertilizer?
    Let us know how the heifers like the plantain?

Well done.

Water John wrote: »
    I think those species mix, like what David has, would be very beneficial for replacement heifer dairy calves. The tetraploids monograss sward grows a lot and calves only eat the tips, leaving a lack of diversity and trace minerals in their diet.

Had a sick calf last year and got the vet for her. I asked if going into reseeded ground would help her, and he said the best place for her would be old permanent pasture where she’d get a varied diet of grasses

Stitched in a few acres of fodder rape today. Would there be any issue spreading gro-lime and 18-6-12 on it in the same day?

Stitched in a few acres of fodder rape today. Would there be any issue spreading gro-lime and 18-6-12 on it in the same day?

No issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Rape for the sheep or cattle Siamsa?

Rape for the sheep or cattle Siamsa?

Weanlings mostly but might throw a dozen bigger bullocks on it too, depending on how it grows, the weather, price of beef, etc. Wintering cattle is new for me so nothing off the table.

Will buy in fodder beet for the ewes and feed them outside til 4-5 weeks pre-lambing

No issue

Thanks Reggie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

How many bags to the acre of 10-10-20 on index 4 ground for a reseed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Cavanjack wrote: »
    How many bags to the acre of 10-10-20 on index 4 ground for a reseed?

You’d probably get away with 2 bags but do you really need to re-seed an index 4 field?

Dunedin wrote: »
    You’d probably get away with 2 bags but do you really need to re-seed an index 4 field?

Grass could be worn out. No reason not to really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Grass could be worn out. No reason not to really

Index 4 ground will still grow a lot of grass and the maths of cost of reseeding against added grass that reseed will grow wouldn’t add up I’d say.

But that’s why we’re on boards to argue these little points........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Dunedin wrote: »
    Index 4 ground will still grow a lot of grass and the maths of cost of reseeding against added grass that reseed will grow wouldn’t add up I’d say.

But that’s why we’re on boards to argue these little points........

Sure then no point I resending at all and just spread p +k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

As reggie said the grass is worn out. It grows a lot of stem with no real soul to it. The old man never remembers it ploughed but said his father said it was ploughed. Old man is 75.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That gives real meaning to the term, permanent pasture.

Advertisement