Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Definitely going to miss Isolating, was a great addition and a tonic for the past few months. Hopefully they'll get Doddles back at some point in the future...

Definitely going to miss Isolating, was a great addition and a tonic for the past few months. Hopefully they'll get Doddles back at some point in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,598 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I found myself in the car earlier saying Goooooogle...goooooooogle.....without realising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do disagree with Murph, I got tired of Klopp's carefully curated "Wacky German" persona a good while ago.

It was a bit much yesterday. I thought they were going to suggest Klopp could walk on water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

dulpit wrote: »

Going to miss it. Hope he does a weekly update on how he sees life in Dublin after 14 weeks on Achill.
    The montage at the end was very good. nice work by Mark to put it all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Jaysus that Marcotti is some pretentious dose. Even the way he was pronouncing the Arsenal players names was cringeworthy.

I have absolutely no idea how Marcotti still finds work. He offers nothing and there’s so much online media now that people should be able to see straight through the pretentiousness.

Excellent, I'll just throw the leads on the dogs and grab me headphones for a stroll and a listen to today's tripo...

Ah for f*** sake.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Excellent, I'll just throw the leads on the dogs and grab me headphones for a stroll and a listen to today's tripo...

Ah for f*** sake.

Same. I've gone for a spin with my small fella around the same time each day and have listed to Nobblers. Missed it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Great interview with Leon Reid, thought Eoin did a great job. Tough listening at times, amazing he turned out so decent and is happy now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

Great interview with Leon Reid, thought Eoin did a great job. Tough listening at times, amazing he turned out so decent and is happy now.

A shocking story really, very tough upbringing.
    Really shone a light on the work of Marcus Rashford when you hear first hand how he used to walk to school aged 5 or 6 just so he could eat.

Wish him well in his athletics endeavours. Hope he wears the green singlet with pride and distinction

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I found some of the recent Shane O’Donnell chat a bit cringy, especially where he described not telling any of his new friends in the US about his glorious hurling past because he didn’t want them to treat him differently.

He does seem genuinely level headed but I can assure you few, if any, people in the US (especially those in Harvard surrounded by Nobel prize winners, Olympic medalists, future Oscar winners etc) give a damn about a lad who won a National championship in an amateur sport they have never heard of.

Hurling is phenomenal and he is a top athlete but his ‘secret’ is not exactly Good Will Hunting-esque...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Brave Frank... has fallen.... going to be a rough podcast for Ken tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭mcgucc22

I found some of the recent Shane O’Donnell chat a bit cringy, especially where he described not telling any of his new friends in the US about his glorious hurling past because he didn’t want them to treat him differently.

He does seem genuinely level headed but I can assure you few, if any, people in the US (especially those in Harvard surrounded by Nobel prize winners, Olympic medalists, future Oscar winners etc) give a damn about a lad who won a National championship in an amateur sport they have never heard of.

Hurling is phenomenal and he is a top athlete but his ‘secret’ is not exactly Good Will Hunting-esque...

Jaysus, that's the part of his life that he was keeping hiden from some of his friends? I didn't know who he was but I heard the audio snippet advertising the interview, I thought it was about some athlete coming out as gay or something!

Jesus. I read that and somehow straight away thought of Richie Sadlier's dog. Whatever that's about.

Poor aul Frank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Am I correct in thinking that they had the same conversation with him previously about not telling his friends about his hurling endeavours? I'm nearly sure they had him on the podcast before and that conversation came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Frank seems to be the new punchbag for Ken to be get all worked up on.

I don't think he was making it out to be that big of a deal at all. No cringe for me.

I thought the Shane O'Donnell chat was one of the best book chats they've had. You got a sense of the book they were talking about, which rarely happens, and Shane himself was a very articulate and down to earth guest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think he was making it out to be that big of a deal at all. No cringe for me.

I thought the Shane O'Donnell chat was one of the best book chats they've had. You got a sense of the book they were talking about, which rarely happens, and Shane himself was a very articulate and down to earth guest

Yeah I think the original commenter slightly distorting what he actually said. My takeaway from it was he didn't want people to think of him as a sportsman first and student second or to put it another harsher way, young irish lad in US the stereotype is J1, drinking and a bit of GAA or construction work. Think he wanted to avoid that which is fair enough. He also referenced French lads who clearly wouldn't give a fook one way or the other who he hurled for.

No cringe for me at all and think its very harsh to take that idea that he thought he'd be the big lad or whatever if only people knew about his heroics for Clare, i think its the exact opposite it in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I thought the Shane O'Donnell chat was the best book review pod by a distance. He really knew the book inside out and was leading a lot of the conversation as well. My thought afterwards was that I hope they get him back on the podcast in some shape or form in the future as he was a really interesting character.

The stuff about not trumpeting his hurling exploits to his college mates was great. Not every high level sportsperson wants to be defined by that aspect of their lives. I can only the imagine the French guy's face while he tried to take in the footage of a) that crazy 2013 replay and b) the fact that his Irish mate was the star of such an occasion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

Yeah I think the original commenter slightly distorting what he actually said. My takeaway from it was he didn't want people to think of him as a sportsman first and student second or to put it another harsher way, young irish lad in US the stereotype is J1, drinking and a bit of GAA or construction work. Think he wanted to avoid that which is fair enough. He also referenced French lads who clearly wouldn't give a fook one way or the other who he hurled for.

No cringe for me at all and think its very harsh to take that idea that he thought he'd be the big lad or whatever if only people knew about his heroics for Clare, i think its the exact opposite it in fact.

I think Eoin hyped that part of the secret sporting career up too much the day before. Thought it was weird either way though. I never heard of him and wouldn't be gobsmacked if I found out he won 5 all Ireland's. If he told me as a yank id say good for you. I won a amateur bowling tournaments myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭elefant

Beersmith wrote: »
    I think Eoin hyped that part of the secret sporting career up too much the day before. Thought it was weird either way though. I never heard of him and wouldn't be gobsmacked if I found out he won 5 all Ireland's. If he told me as a yank id say good for you. I won a amateur bowling tournaments myself.

I mean, whatever about his reasons for not wanting to share the other part of his life with new acquaintances, that's a ridiculous false equivalence. This guy is a household name for vast swathes of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ongarite wrote: »
    Frank seems to be the new punchbag for Ken to be get all worked up on.

I think Frank Lampard is a bit of an arsehole to be honest. He reminds me of a politician the way he talks. The way his friends in the media cover for him the way they covered for Harry Redknapp probably annoys Ken. So bring on the Frank hate, I love it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Beersmith

elefant wrote: »
    I mean, whatever about his reasons for not wanting to share the other part of his life with new acquaintances, that's a ridiculous false equivalence. This guy is a household name for vast swathes of the country.

Sure but Americans wouldn't know him just like I don't so I nor they would be star struck or anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Cienciano wrote: »
    I think Frank Lampard is a bit of an arsehole to be honest. He reminds me of a politician the way he talks.

He has a pattern in his interviews.

Adam Hurrey has a great thread on it

https://twitter.com/FootballCliches/status/539079980391874560

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

Sure but Americans wouldn't know him just like I don't so I nor they would be star struck or anything like it.

The difference is they could search for him on YouTube and see him starring in front of a crowd of 80,000.

On a totally unrelated note, had a look into the off the ball thread in the radio forum... Yikes, it's all got a bit alt-right in there.

I don't think he was claiming to be a star. Obviously 99% of the people he met in Harvard would have no clue about hurling, but I'm sure that they'd have been interested to know that he was quite well known as a sportsman back in Ireland, famous even, and he'd been the MVP in the finals of a championship played in front of 80,000 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Personally, I thought he sounded a bit “up himself” & pretentious, but each his own I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Arghus wrote: »
    On a totally unrelated note, had a look into the off the ball thread in the radio forum... Yikes, it's all got a bit alt-right in there.

Some 'interesting' debates going on over there. Definitely not World Service members I'd say ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement