Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options
1332333334335337

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater


    MercuryBoy wrote: »
    Yeah, and that nobody has mentioned it either! It doesn't add up at all, a quick search through the FFP rules online shows the 5 year time limit...

    The alleged offences took place between 2012-16 some were within the 5 year window but most took place outside it. I heard on the Athletic podcast(I think) discussing it that they hoped they could show a pattern and the time limit wouldn't matter or something along those lines.
    The details only emerged in 2018 so they had to be seen as doing something I think.


  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭MercuryBoy


    The alleged offences took place between 2012-16 some were within the 5 year window but most took place outside it. I heard on the Athletic podcast(I think) discussing it that they hoped they could show a pattern and the time limit wouldn't matter or something along those lines.
    The details only emerged in 2018 so they had to be seen as doing something I think.

    I see, seems fairly obvious that UEFA wanted to put up the pretence of punishment and City always knew it was a charade...what's strange is that everyone else took UEFA so seriously ... The likes of Miguel Delaney made it out to be: "A seismic moment in the game ...yada yada"....it seems they didn't have a leg to stand on...


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie


    MercuryBoy wrote: »
    I see, seems fairly obvious that UEFA wanted to put up the pretence of punishment and City always knew it was a charade...what's strange is that everyone else took UEFA so seriously ... The likes of Miguel Delaney made it out to be: "A seismic moment in the game ...yada yada"....it seems they didn't have a leg to stand on...

    Well, when you say took Uefa seriously, did anybody in the whole world actually think it would happen? The ban I mean.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69


    Need to get the FBI involved. They would have had Mansour, Pep, De Bruyne all in handcuffs very quickly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭Arghus


    Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Well, when you say took Uefa seriously, did anybody in the whole world actually think it would happen? The ban I mean.

    I never believed for literally one second that City would get banned.

    Thought all the talk about it initially was ridiculous, it was never ever going to happen.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    Can't have been the only one who had a little chuckle when Jack's biographer mentioned they were eating fish and chips?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    Agree. Especially not with the bluffer Delaney being one of the guys they chose to discuss it with.

    Is he really good mates with Ken or something? They have him on way too often considering the much more high quality football journos they could have on


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie


    Can't have been the only one who had a little chuckle when Jack's biographer mentioned they were eating fish and chips?

    I got fish n chips for dinner today. I heard it's full of prootein.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike


    kilns wrote: »
    Is he really good mates with Ken or something? They have him on way too often considering the much more high quality football journos they could have on

    Yes, they're mates alright.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano


    Arghus wrote: »
    I never believed for literally one second that City would get banned.

    Thought all the talk about it initially was ridiculous, it was never ever going to happen.

    Yeah, it's sad really. I don't think anyone really thought it would stick.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭boccy23


    Has a sh*t footballer ever generated more airtime than James McClean. :mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835


    My biggest issue with McClean is that he's an absolutely filthy player. Launching into tackles when there's no need, leaving plenty on players after the ball is gone. Probably in a minority here, but I thought that tackle on Milik in the Aviva a few years back was a shocker. Clearly meant to do him. I'm all for a good 50/50 or a tough challenge, but he's just trying to hurt guys.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling


    healy1835 wrote:
    My biggest issue with McClean is that he's an absolutely filthy player. Launching into tackles when there's no need, leaving plenty on players after the ball is gone. Probably in a minority here, but I thought that tackle on Milik in the Aviva a few years back was a shocker. Clearly meant to do him. I'm all for a good 50/50 or a tough challenge, but he's just trying to hurt guys.


    Probably one of his best games. Totally changed the game when he came on. The poles couldn't handle him. The poles were in complete control beforehand.

    If VAR was around then, who knows. He left a marker as they say. Similar with Keane on overmars.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,391 ✭✭✭✭Arghus


    healy1835 wrote: »
    My biggest issue with McClean is that he's an absolutely filthy player. Launching into tackles when there's no need, leaving plenty on players after the ball is gone. Probably in a minority here, but I thought that tackle on Milik in the Aviva a few years back was a shocker. Clearly meant to do him. I'm all for a good 50/50 or a tough challenge, but he's just trying to hurt guys.

    I totally agree with you, he's a dirty player. But I remember that tackle clearly changing the game. The crowd responded to it instantly and Ireland suddenly found more urgency. Can't condone it, but it definitely had an effect.

    In general though his lack of brains on the field is usually quite frustrating.


  • Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭ [Deleted User]


    boccy23 wrote: »
    Has a sh*t footballer ever generated more airtime than James McClean. :mad:

    It’s worth talking about. He’s dead right anyway.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100


    If McClean was any good he would be a legend in fairness. Talks the talk but his talent is nowhere near the level needed to be a key man in the Ireland set up. As bad as this Ireland team is.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭boccy23


    It’s worth talking about. He’s dead right anyway.

    I don't deny that. But it is the same discussion that has been had the previous 3,4,5... when the poppy protest or the twitter abuse or whatever arises. This time it was that the culture allows the same discussion again against the backdrop of Black Lives Matter.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    I think McClean will start to drift out of the Irish consciousness soon as I cant see him being the type of player Kenny likes or could work with based on the fact that he is a very limited player and if Kenny wants to play good football and hold onto the ball he simply cant do that with McClean in the team.

    So he may be in squads but he will not get any game time


  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16


    kilns wrote: »
    I think McClean will start to drift out of the Irish consciousness soon as I cant see him being the type of player Kenny likes or could work with based on the fact that he is a very limited player and if Kenny wants to play good football and hold onto the ball he simply cant do that with McClean in the team.

    So he may be in squads but he will not get any game time

    I'd imagine he likes him quite a bit seeing as he signed him for Derry and played him for 3/4 seasons.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan


    Best egomaniacs yet today. I was howling


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater


    yermandan wrote:
    Best egomaniacs yet today. I was howling


    You really felt for the guy alright! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2


    boccy23 wrote: »
    I don't deny that. But it is the same discussion that has been had the previous 3,4,5... when the poppy protest or the twitter abuse or whatever arises. This time it was that the culture allows the same discussion again against the backdrop of Black Lives Matter.

    If he's right, he's right. Just because he's insistent and consistent doesn't make him any less right.

    You're going to a lot of effort for someone who doesn't "deny that" he's right...


  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root


    You really felt for the guy alright! :D

    Im still cringing about it on his behalf. Brilliant.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    srfc d16 wrote: »
    I'd imagine he likes him quite a bit seeing as he signed him for Derry and played him for 3/4 seasons.

    local boy who cost virtually nothing at a place where you cant go and buy players each transfer window.

    I would be shocked if all players available to Ireland are fit and ready that McClean would be in the starting 11 based on the way Kenny's teams play


  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16


    kilns wrote: »
    local boy who cost virtually nothing at a place where you cant go and buy players each transfer window.

    I would be shocked if all players available to Ireland are fit and ready that McClean would be in the starting 11 based on the way Kenny's teams play

    I have no idea if Kenny will select him or not but stating that he wouldn't like him or couldn't work with him is clearly wrong as proven in the past.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69


    Jose masterclass !
    De Gae nightmare !!
    Rodgers capitulation !!!
    Frank Triumphs !!!!

    Ken was badly missed today.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    srfc d16 wrote: »
    I have no idea if Kenny will select him or not but stating that he wouldn't like him or couldn't work with him is clearly wrong as proven in the past.

    he had a very limited hand in Derry and had to work with what he had.

    If you saw the football he played with Dundalk, he likes to keep the ball which is the antithesis of McClean


  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16


    kilns wrote: »
    he had a very limited hand in Derry and had to work with what he had.

    If you saw the football he played with Dundalk, he likes to keep the ball which is the antithesis of McClean

    I have seen plenty of the football he plays. He managed my team for a few months and has been managing in the league for 20 years.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns


    srfc d16 wrote: »
    I have seen plenty of the football he plays. He managed my team for a few months and has been managing in the league for 20 years.

    Rovers were very rash getting rid of him but thats for another day

    In any case, if you want to play good constructive possession football, McClean is not your man


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,601 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie


    You know when something good happens? I've taken to telling it, whatever it is, that it's going in the jigtionary.

    For example, last night I made enchiladas that turned out to be better than I expected.

    Beef enchiladas....you're going in the jigtionary!

    Makes little sense, don't care.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement