Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second Captains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Cienciano wrote: »
    I like the segments. Say My Name is great!

Oh don't get me wrong, some of the segments are good, but sometimes I find DOD just going from segment to segment to fill up the pod even though his best stuff is when he's just waffling away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

RedRochey wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong, some of the segments are good, but sometimes I find DOD just going from segment to segment to fill up the pod even though his best stuff is when he's just waffling away

Well his pod is driven by the emails and tweets he receives. He then goes off on tangents and/or relates a story of his to what has been sent in to him. Difficult for him to produce something daily that is fully original.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can't wait for tomorrow's football report on sport special on David Luiz. Should be a cracker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

It was a good show. (no Miguel D helped)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Beersmith wrote: »
    It was a good show. (no Miguel D helped)

Cheap shot! Cheap shot!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 NeftDaslari

Nokotan wrote: »
    Cheap shot! Cheap shot!!

Go back to lecturing! You have the charisma of a sick bag!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, not you, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Boards doesn't normally allow stuff to be posted by scum around the country:P

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

And that's only Pat Kenny's second greatest line in the audio beds. It still cracks me up whenever I hear him complaining about the modern players when he would have been well able to play two games of squash in three days.... with Ken grunting noncommittally alongside :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

ongarite wrote: »
    Can't wait for tomorrow's football report on sport special on David Luiz. Should be a cracker.

In fairness he put up a pretty spirited defence!

I'm ducking out of today's effort, George Hamilton is not a wonderful commentator and I'm at a loss to understand their apparent adoration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hippo wrote: »
    In fairness he put up a pretty spirited defence!

I'm ducking out of today's effort, George Hamilton is not a wonderful commentator and I'm at a loss to understand their apparent adoration.

The public's adoration for George has very little to do with his skills as a commentator. He's an institution. All of our best (and worst) memories as Ireland fans during those halcyon years are directly associated with him. He was part of it. I never thought he was great but at the same time I never wanted anyone else commentating on the games. If anything his mistakes were endearing; the Baggio brothers, his insistence of using Goodnight Vienna in every game for about 2 years after Ireland went down to Peter Stogers hat trick in the Euro 96 qualifiers, 'close, but no banana!' to just name a few.
    And he's a gentleman to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,639 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

I enjoy George on Ireland games as you can tell he's invested in the team doing well. But he's terrible on CL games and on other sports he's very hit and miss. I enjoyed the chat anyways, didnt relise he had no co-comm at Italia 90

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Go back to lecturing! You have the charisma of a sick bag!

That's probably the one audio bit I laugh at every time. "Oh god...."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

radharc wrote: »
    And that's only Pat Kenny's second greatest line in the audio beds. It still cracks me up whenever I hear him complaining about the modern players when he would have been well able to play two games of squash in three days.... with Ken grunting noncommittally alongside :D

i've got to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Think George is great, I don't understand how people don't like him. I don't know really what there is to dislike. He gets a name wrong here and there, so what.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

healy1835 wrote: »
    the Baggio brothers,

who are not of course related...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Arghus wrote: »
    Think George is great, I don't understand how people don't like him. I don't know really what there is to dislike. He gets a name wrong here and there, so what.

Nothin but love for George. We'd be listening to him right now on the Euros if it weren't for corona bullshìt.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Arghus wrote: »

The same humourless crowd who would always give out about RTE panel, and would rather some lad saying 'He has a 73 percent pass completion percentage when the sun is facing West and they are wearing their away kit' or some boring crap like that.

Ken's defense of the indefensible was impressive, I wish I had some as blindly loyal as that in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,294 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The same humourless crowd who would always give out about RTE panel, and would rather some lad saying 'He has a 73 percent pass completion percentage when the sun is facing West and they are wearing their away kit' or some boring crap like that.

A few of my friends would have the opinion that you should always watch football on Sky (or basically any non-RTÉ option), which grinds my gears. Same when you're in a pub and they show the Sky or BBC/ITV option over the RTÉ one (if possible) - not on. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

dulpit wrote: »
    A few of my friends would have the opinion that you should always watch football on Sky (or basically any non-RTÉ option), which grinds my gears. Same when you're in a pub and they show the Sky or BBC/ITV option over the RTÉ one (if possible) - not on. :mad:

Wow. Your friends are totally wrong. Literally exactly the opposite of right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,294 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wow. Your friends are totally wrong. Literally exactly the opposite of right.

I agree 100% with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

The same humourless crowd who would always give out about RTE panel, and would rather some lad saying 'He has a 73 percent pass completion percentage when the sun is facing West and they are wearing their away kit' or some boring crap like that./quote]

Not a member of that crowd, just dislike him as a commentator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Acosta

I do like George.

"He's pulling him off!! The Spanish manager is pulling his captain off!"

However the glory days off the rte panel are long gone. I remember being absolutely disgusted when TV3 got one of the champions league nights in the mid noughties because it meant less of the lads. Now they have a better anchor and panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭Acosta

No EOIN MCDEVITT or funny table on Premier Sport today which is disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Acosta wrote: »
    I do like George.

"He's pulling him off!! The Spanish manager is pulling his captain off!"

However the glory days off the rte panel are long gone. I remember being absolutely disgusted when TV3 got one of the champions league nights in the mid noughties because it meant less of the lads. Now they have a better anchor and panel.

I agreed whole heartedly. I have enjoyed the Virgin Champions League for the last few years, particularly with Brian Kerr.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I agreed whole heartedly. I have enjoyed the Virgin Champions League for the last few years, particularly with Brian Kerr.

I think their commentators are terrible. But I do enjoy Kerr and Souness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Beersmith

I think their commentators are terrible. But I do enjoy Kerr and Souness.

First time I ever heard someone liking souness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Beersmith wrote: »
    First time I ever heard someone liking souness!

I think Souness is one of the better analysts out there. Sure, he can be a bit of a dinosaur and his Pogba agenda can be a bit much, but he's interesting to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Should there be a separate Muriniho podcast ( 2-3 hours) on Monday’s ????

• Advertisement

Souness would be one of the best for me too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement