Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Treppen

There's also supervision issues - the teacher has to leave kids unsupervised as they move to the next room. I'm sure some schools would have no issues but if anything did happen during that time, who is responsible? Much safer from a supervision point of view to have kids move between rooms.

The school I went to had student based rooms for a while.
    Bunch of idiot teenage boys, sitting for up to 10 mins, calmly awaiting instruction!! Twas like madmax

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If the younger classes are in pods. Will they be back as normal in September?

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    It'll be impossible to have 1m distance between 30 kids in the lab. Our desks are fixed.
    I'm presuming equipment can't be shared between students either.
    It'll be a nightmare for practical subjects.

I didn’t think we would be able to practical cookery classes? I teach home ec.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Millem wrote: »
    I didn’t think we would be able to practical cookery classes? I teach home ec.

Yeah I don't see how they'd work with the current restrictions. We've very limited equipment - same as you'd have a few to an oven. All our Junior and most of our Senior classes are 30's.
    The woodwork/DCG/art classes will have similar issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

It'll be impossible to have 1m distance between 30 kids in the lab. Our desks are fixed.
    I'm presuming equipment can't be shared between students either.
    It'll be a nightmare for practical subjects.

I actually noted the lack of guidance on many practical subjects
    We only have 24 in any class and our labs only hold 24 but still a problem

• Advertisement

Re secondary schools, could I ask those who know why students move from classroom to classroom all day? I understand the need to move to labs and kitchens etc. But surely it is much easier for a teacher to move around.

Now forgive me if this doesn’t happen anymore I’m a long time out of the system re kids etc.
    The claims culture in this country

Yeah I don't see how they'd work with the current restrictions. We've very limited equipment - same as you'd have a few to an oven. All our Junior and most of our Senior classes are 30's.
    The woodwork/DCG/art classes will have similar issues.

We have 20. We should be okish with regard to not sharing equipment. It will be the cleaning/sanitising of the equipment that will be the problem.
    Also maintaining social distancing between the teacher and student during practical classes will be very difficult.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Realistically, these plans cannot be implemented in most schools therefore the plan will change by September. The poor principals will still have to try to pull something together over the next few weeks meaning even less holiday time than usual. There could be a few retirements by September.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Realistically, these plans cannot be implemented in most schools therefore the plan will change by September. The poor principals will still have to try to pull something together over the next few weeks meaning even less holiday time than usual. There could be a few retirements by September.

There has been a really noticeable increase in the number of principal and deputy principal jobs advertised over the last few months
    It can’t be just a coincidence

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    There has been a really noticeable increase in the number of principal and deputy principal jobs advertised over the last few months

There will be bedlam in schools next year for a number of reasons whilst Joe McHugh sits on the back benches deluding himself about the great job he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

km79 wrote: »

I wouldnt want the stress of this, as we know the public will blame the teachers when it goes tits up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There will be bedlam in schools next year for a number of reasons whilst Joe McHugh sits on the back benches deluding himself about the great job he did.

I would blame McHugh over the LC but I think his arm was probably twisted over that one possibly ? Otherwise why does he get such bad press ?

In most schools pupils move around. Not teachers particularly with the dawn of IT equipment.
    Personally I would not see the advantage of reversing to the old system of teachers moving around. It would leave kids unsupervised for anywhere between 5-10 minutes. Rooms would be destroyed.
    Furthermore teachers would have to cluster in work rooms or staffrooms with their books. You could not expect teachers to haul all their books etc around them all day.
    In our school we have small workrooms for teachers but mainly populated by teachers without rooms.
    Teachers are more likely to get ill but this document just seems to throw us to the wolves.
    You are going to have to hire more teachers because in my room you might have 25 kids packed in. Not possible with 1 metre distancing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This isn't implementable at secondary level. Just thinking of the timetabling, separate breaks would be very difficult. Keeping kids out of corridors at seperate times would be very difficult. Getting, particularly senior students who on different bands etc due to subject choices to stay in the same room as much as possible will be impossible.
    Actually the biggest social distancing issue for our school will be the buses bringing kids to school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I would blame McHugh over the LC but I think his arm was probably twisted over that one possibly ? Otherwise why does he get such bad press ?

The department didn't help him by 'leaking' everything to bloody Emma O'Kelly and Carlo O'Brien. Utterly frustrating to hear about some of the most important decisions to be made in education in recent years from their tweets rather than from minister briefing or direct from department

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Keeping students in base classes in one room doesn't really make sense.

Senior cycle students are only together in their base class for PE and religion in my school. Every other class is a mix of the base classes.

Junior cycle are mixed for English, maths, Irish, science and all options.

Bobtheman wrote: »

What leadership did he show as minister during his tenure? Reinstating history does not count because if he had any principles he would have questioned the entire premise of the reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PixiePop

khalessi wrote: »
    Nope they wont keep them closed, they want them open and have totally disregarded teacher health and wellbeing despite schools being workplaces.

Schools aren't just workplaces. They're also centres of education. Teachers should not be the only consideration. The lives and futures of hundreds of thousands of children also needs to be factored in. What kind of outcome do they have in life with half an education? Will we have to extend the number of years they spend in school? Hospitals are workplaces too but the nurses and doctors didn't refuse to do their jobs unless 2m social distancing was put in place. And I see lots of other workplaces where 2m distancing just isn't practical. Why do teachers get to refuse? I know nurses/doctors are in life and death situations but I would also regard education as being pretty paramount, like health.

It has begun
    Well played Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

PixiePop wrote: »
    Schools aren't just workplaces. They're also centres of education. Teachers should not be the only consideration. The lives and futures of hundreds of thousands of children also needs to be factored in. What kind of outcome do they have in life with half an education? Will we have to extend the number of years they spend in school? Hospitals are workplaces too but the nurses and doctors didn't refuse to do their jobs unless 2m social distancing was put in place. And I see lots of other workplaces where 2m distancing just isn't practical. Why do teachers get to refuse? I know nurses/doctors are in life and death situations but I would also regard education as being pretty paramount, like health.

Teachers are not refusing, we're highlighting issues that need addressing..doctors and nurses were providedwith ppe and strict health and safety protocols in the absense of being able to socially distance. We want to return as safely as possible given the current circumstances. We're not expecting perfection. We're discussing proposals and hoping that a workable solution will be found.

EH I havent seen any teachers refuse.

Similar to health really!? That is excellent. You wont mind then if teachers instigate similar ppe safety that will beneifit the staff and students so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Millem wrote: »
    If the younger classes are in pods. Will they be back as normal in September?

I’m crossing my fingers and toes for this. Because otherwise I’m going to have childcare issues

Teachers are not refusing, we're highlighting issues that need addressing..doctors and nurses were providedwith ppe and strict health and safety protocols in the absense of being able to socially distance. We want to return as safely as possible given the current circumstances. We're not expecting perfection. We're discussing proposals and hoping that a workable solution will be found.

Creche workers are wearing PPE, would teachers be happy with that, if they were provided with PPE gear daily and obviously an increase in cleaning of all surfaces, child made to hand sanitise, stay at home if they have a temp etc. etc.

I’m crossing my fingers and toes for this. Because otherwise I’m going to have childcare issues

Yes employers will only be sympathetic for some long. You'd wonder if lots of people will be pushed out of the workforce due to childcare issues if this continues

Creche workers are wearing PPE, would teachers be happy with that, if they were provided with PPE gear daily and obviously an increase in cleaning of all surfaces, child made to hand sanitise, stay at home if they have a temp etc. etc.

If you read posts here teachers would be happy with ppe and extra cleaning as has been said many times before. Teachers want the same protections given to other professions and that could mean daily deep cleaning of classrooms.

EH I havent seen any teachers refuse.

Similar to health really!? That is excellent. You wont mind then if teachers instigate similar ppe safety that will beneifit the staff and students so?

well they're wearing the PPE in creches with much younger children that don't understand the need for it. i'd rather teachers teaching with PPE than no teaching at all

I wouldnt want the stress of this, as we know the public will blame the teachers when it goes tits up

No it's the Govt and teaching unions, I would imagine most teachers would like to revert to a level of normal as much as possible and would like to provide the best level of education that they possibly can to their pupils

No it's the Govt and teaching unions, I would imagine most teachers would like to revert to a level of normal as much as possible and would like to provide the best level of education that they possibly can to their pupils

The plan as it stands needs adjustment. It does seem one law for schools another for outside schools . You will need extra staff for allowing 1m between pupils. Classrooms are not big rooms. Thus pupil teacher ratio will be lowered.
    Who will pay for the extra cleaning? Schools already underfunded.
    If teachers are expected to be front line workers will we be provided with regular tests like nurses ? We will like...
    A lot of detail to be sorted. I do hope the unions kick up some dust and I really don't care if that means people moan and groan about unions
    Part of the reason for 0 hour contracts is because the bosses got rid of bloody unions .

• Advertisement

The plan as it stands needs adjustment. It does seem one law for schools another for outside schools . You will need extra staff for allowing 1m between pupils. Classrooms are not big rooms. Thus pupil teacher ratio should be lowered.
    Who will pay for the extra cleaning? Schools already underfunded.
    If teachers are expected to be front line workers will we be provided with regular tests like nurses ? We will like...
    A lot of detail to be sorted. I do hope the unions kick up some dust and I really don't care if that means people moan and groan about unions
    Part of the reason for 0 hour contracts is because the bosses got rid of bloody unions .

Advertisement