Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

PixiePop wrote: »
    Creche workers are wearing PPE, would teachers be happy with that, if they were provided with PPE gear daily and obviously an increase in cleaning of all surfaces, child made to hand sanitise, stay at home if they have a temp etc. etc.

I can only speak for myself. But I'd be happy enough with that.

Local issue to be addressed would be what to to when the class clown/smart alec decides to cough on /at other students and teachers. (This would be a code of behaviour issue and be down to individual schools and also buy in from parents) not a huge issue in the scheme of things but would need addressing on a school by school basis. Not related to the reopening of schools just thinking it will be another thing we would want to be clear on as teachers/school staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

You have 25 kids in an avg classroom. Im apart won't work. End of story

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭amacca

I can only speak for myself. But I'd be happy enough with that.

Local issue to be addressed would be what to to when the class clown/smart alec decides to cough on /at other students and teachers. (This would be a code of behaviour issue and be down to individual schools and also buy in from parents) not a huge issue in the scheme of things but would need addressing on a school by school basis. Not related to the reopening of schools just thinking it will be another thing we would want to be clear on as teachers/school staff.

Theres the thing will kids be made obey the rules via consequences or will it be brushed under the carpet.......

will there be any backup for teachers/management that insist on rules being obeyed or will they be hung out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

Bobtheman wrote: »
    You have 25 kids in an avg classroom. Im apart won't work. End of story

This.....We have between 22 and 29 students per class (up to 20 for HEc and 24 for Sci) and not one room in the entire school will fit classes of this size with 1m social distancing...the canteen would but it’s freezing the majority of the time and it’s only one room. My lab would fit 12 at most with 1m social distancing, my smallest class last year was 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

solerina wrote: »
    This.....We have between 22 and 29 students per class (up to 20 for HEc and 24 for Sci) and not one room in the entire school will fit classes of this size with 1m social distancing...the canteen would but it’s freezing the majority of the time and it’s only one room. My lab would fit 12 at most with 1m social distancing, my smallest class last year was 18.

The government were forced to release this guidance but it will change by September to practically no social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I was watching the Dáil special committee broadcast . Some of the participants were shocked to hear that classrooms don’t have hot water and that many schools don’t have good broadband . There was a vague mention of a “ summer works “ type scheme to “ adapt schools ,” but no mention as to funding or what “ adaptations are needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

To be honest-we all know Social distancing won't occur in schools. Its not occurring in many workplaces now, There isn't heavy inspection. Im sure its being ignored in bars as we speak. We are great at making laws but men will do as they do-to paraphrase Rousseau.

Im going back with or without social distancing so long as I get proper medical cover in that if I have symptoms I don't have to fork out 60 euro to get a cert. They can improve on that. But I probably wont be asked so I will just be ordered. I probably wont make a fuss unless Im meant to stomach some bull**** like the kids being left in classes while my aging body lumbers around all my books-meanwhile kids destroy the room and each other!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I spoke to my consultant today about doing any teaching in September. He advised no unless masks are mandatory. He said that would be the deciding factor in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I spoke to my consultant today about doing any teaching in September. He advised no unless masks are mandatory. He said that would be the deciding factor in his eyes.

I have some and I will wear them. I think we have to do what makes us feel safe.

khalessi wrote: »
    I have some and I will wear them. I think we have to do what makes us feel safe.

No his opinion was the mask is to reduce the risk from the wearer not to the wearer, and that if it's not mandatory for other staff and students then I should not do any work in schools. I would only be subbing anyway, and teaching a QQI module once a week, and doing tutoring through a programme for disadvantaged students, as I work elsewhere now. But he felt the risk would be too high for me without that in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Rosita

Schools aren't just workplaces. They're also centres of education. Teachers should not be the only consideration. The lives and futures of hundreds of thousands of children also needs to be factored in. What kind of outcome do they have in life with half an education? Will we have to extend the number of years they spend in school.

You are assuming that there's a specific amount of material that must be covered. And that this must be done at all costs. Not so I'm afraid. The DES may have to revise many of the old assumptions about examinations and syllabi.

We could be in a scenario where there's not a vaccine for a few years if at all. Maybe school as we know it is finished for the foreseeable future. So I would be wary of talking about "half an education" as if that's a definable amount and the only possible "education" is the one that is regarded as that at the moment.

Let's get real. Kids send half their time in school bored senseless learning stuff they don't need to know and struggling with basics at the end of it, while teachers pile on homework because it's expected, and the DES devises mindless classroom strategies which inappropriately conflate activity and productivity. There might be worse things than a total recalibration of how education is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭Rosita

khalessi wrote: »

I think we have to do what makes us feel safe.

This isn't really an acceptable alternative to a proper plan though is it? Feeling safe in a work environment is really entry-level stuff. We shouldn't really have to "do" stuff to make us feel safe. An employer has legal obligations to ensure workplace safety.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The “ back to work “ declaration is a “ get out of jail free” card for BOMS. As an immuno-suppressed teacher , it’s going to be mask, visor and hand sanitizer to the max . Some vulnerable teachers have been asked to submit a letter to the BOM saying they are ok to work .

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭joeharte123

The “ back to work “ declaration is a “ get out of jail free” card for BOMS. As an immuno-suppressed teacher , it’s going to be mask, visor and hand sanitizer to the max . Some vulnerable teachers have been asked to submit a letter to the BOM saying they are ok to work .

I believe this would be welcomed in schools across the county. Students wear masks, also. Make it part of the uniform.

I understand it’s not a nice look seeing children walking around masks on but hopefully not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

One of my worries is what I consider a simple one - cleaning. Our premises is quite large and we have two cleaners who are extremely overstretched. Pre-COVID my classroom would get a quick once over every week. This would involve picking up larger pieces of litter and emptying a bin. Our ETB wouldn't let us replace retired staff (in five years we lost about 6 cleaning staff to retirements). How adequate sanitisation will occur is beyond me.

The ETBs are going to have to start budgeting for more cleaning crew, but we know that it won't happen - it'll be left to the principal who in our case is stretched as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Creche workers are wearing PPE, would teachers be happy with that, if they were provided with PPE gear daily and obviously an increase in cleaning of all surfaces, child made to hand sanitise, stay at home if they have a temp etc. etc.

I think the very big issue here is kids with temp being kept at home. Lot of parents just simply won't follow that. We had a bad dose running through the school in November. 1/4 of the school home sick. But there were still 20 or so kids who were as sick as dogs, coughing, splurting and with temps, yet their parents felt it best to send them to school to spread to us and other students

I think the very big issue here is kids with temp being kept at home. Lot of parents just simply won't follow that. We had a bad dose running through the school in November. 1/4 of the school home sick. But there were still 20 or so kids who were as sick as dogs, coughing, splurting and with temps, yet their parents felt it best to send them to school to spread to us and other students

Employer flexibility will be key here. I wonder would there be an argument for the government to pay parents some sort of covid leave for sick kids so the employer isn't paying for parents to stay home but parents don't feel so under pressure to go to work that they send sick children to school?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Employer flexibility will be key here. I wonder would there be an argument for the government to pay parents some sort of covid leave for sick kids so the employer isn't paying for parents to stay home but parents don't feel so under pressure to go to work that they send sick children to school?

That is a very sensible suggestion
    So it will absolutely not happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m considering emailing my TDs to ask that parental leave be loosened up this winter so that individual days can be taken as needed for childcare. Or some other form of leave that won’t result in disciplinary action From employers. Even if it’s unpaid I’d take it over the stress of trying to manage kids when they are sick

I’m considering emailing my TDs to ask that parental leave be loosened up this winter so that individual days can be taken as needed for childcare. Or some other form of leave that won’t result in disciplinary action From employers. Even if it’s unpaid I’d take it over the stress of trying to manage kids when they are sick

I didn't think of that. That's a very good idea. I'll email TDs asking for same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I would be happy with that. I teach a practical subject and am always conscious of head lice anyway!!
    So my students are used to me saying things like “you hop up there and I will have a look”. I would always wear a hair net and white coat for every cookery class anyway so I doubt my students would even bat an eyelid at me wearing at visor!

Even if teachers wore the ppe gear the students would still need to social distance between themselves. So it wouldn’t solve the problem.

I was listening to Ciara Kelly yesterday and she seemed to think up to third class are back as normal. Does anyone know how many students are in a pod? She didn’t mention though that pods need to be 1m apart?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Millem wrote: »
    I would be happy with that. I teach a practical subject and am always conscious of head lice anyway!!
    So my students are used to me saying things like “you hop up there and I will have a look”. I would always wear a hair net and white coat for every cookery class anyway so I doubt my students would even bat an eyelid at me wearing at visor!

Even if teachers wore the ppe gear the students would still need to social distance between themselves. So it wouldn’t solve the problem.

I was listening to Ciara Kelly yesterday and she seemed to think up to third class are back as normal. Does anyone know how many students are in a pod? She didn’t mention though that pods need to be 1m apart?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

They’ve said pods will depend on the numbers and space available in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

They’ve said pods will depend on the numbers and space available in the classroom.

Ok thanks! There are 25 in my son’s class. I think usually sit at round tables of 5. Doubt there would be 1m between tables tbh!
    I know the situation is changing every day but I still think the 1m rule will be in place.
    Parents need to know to make plans like hire a minder now instead of after school or apply for parental leave etc :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Yes, I am a bit confused about the first 4 years of education and no social distancing. My child is going into 1st class. I would much prefer if she will be doing a full week at school, for her own educational benefit and because there is no way I will get childcare if she is only in for 2.5 days a week or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I feel like the government don't know how small a lot of classrooms are. I have to squeeze through tables to just get around the room.
    There is no chance six students at one table are socially distanced from those at another table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

alroley wrote: »
    I feel like the government don't know how small a lot of classrooms are. I have to squeeze through tables to just get around the room.
    There is no chance six students at one table are socially distanced from those at another table.

Going by Norma Foley's first act as minister, Kerry classrooms will be viewed differently to the rest of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Going by Norma Foley's first act as minister, Kerry classrooms will be viewed differently to the rest of Ireland.

What did she do?

What did she do?

Her first announcement was works for a school in Listowel. (Long overdue and urgently needed, no doubt, but as a choice of first announcement it appears either tone deaf or borderline trolling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I thought the same! Stange to be so public about it, even if it happened to be the only school approved today for finding independently of it being in her back garden.........

It does lend credence to the West's annoyance at the lack of ministers....it shouldn't matter, minister should not engage in parish pump politics but tweets like this certainly don't bolster that idea

Advertisement