Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Are these aligned to the Peoples' Front of Judea or the Judean Peoples' Front?

Just what the world needed. Another forum for primary school principals.

Did you look at the document? It is more comprehensive than anything the government has issued so far regarding schools reopening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

khalessi wrote: »
    Did you look at the document? It is more comprehensive than anything the government has issued so far regarding schools reopening.

I read it all. It's very comprehensive but ridiculously nit picking in many areas.

The problem is, who are they? The INTO represents principals, the IPPN represents principals and this group represents principals. The DES is delighted to have multiple groups because they can ignore them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

I read it all. It's very comprehensive but ridiculously nit picking in many areas.

The problem is, who are they? The INTO represents principals, the IPPN represents principals and this group represents principals. The DES is delighted to have multiple groups because they can ignore them all.

It is a good document. More power to them. The dearth of expertise from all the groups you have listed has been clear for years. This group seems to possess some knowledge of how schools are run which is a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I think it’s great to be honest and the department could do with running down that list and answering questions if they can’t actually make their own list. That thing the DES released was completely farcical

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I see Beijing have closed all City schools as a result of another outbreak of Covid, it's just not going away over there, hopefully our numbers continue to go lower in the weeks ahead. If the numbers start coming back, we could be going back a stage or two and schools could well stay shut. All going well and classes will be at least half full each day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I see Beijing have closed all City schools as a result of another outbreak of Covid, it's just not going away over there, hopefully our numbers continue to go lower in the weeks ahead. If the numbers start coming back, we could be going back a stage or two and schools could well stay shut. All going well and classes will be at least half full each day.

I honestly can't see the government keeping schools closed here.

emmaro wrote: »
    I honestly can't see the government keeping schools closed here.

Nope they wont keep them closed, they want them open and have totally disregarded teacher health and wellbeing despite schools being workplaces.

So considering this thread and the document from McHugh I thought it might be interesting to share some of the new procedures and policies from my creche I just received. In Ireland. The same country that the minister for education is proposing to just open schools....

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I can see us being reclassified as front line workers.
    To be fair the covid seems to be much dimenished.
    I'd be happy to go back with proper medical support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I can see us being reclassified as front line workers.
    To be fair the covid seems to be much dimenished.
    I'd be happy to go back with proper medical support.

I think all anybody wants is evidence of proper plan, recognition that schools are workplaces, and that the sheer desire and social necessity to have schools back in full does not preclude the need for proper organisation.

I'd actually far prefer to hear at this stage 'we don't have a plan yet' (because it is important to see how things go over the next 7/8 weeks) than someone like Simon Harris back in early May saying that LCs might be back in May a week after McHugh said they'd be back in July.

Or Varadker going on the Late Late Show talking about calculated grades for the LC the day after it had been postponed until July. Let them get one message that they actually believe themselves is deliverable and try to make it stick this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I love people who think that Fine Gael are competent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

To be fair, you could add the other parties to that list I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭Rosita

Better still people who will tell you that since the pandemic emerged that "they've done a good job". This is a scenario where they get to stand in front of microphones regularly, have the entire population by and large doing what they are told, and no opposition in the Dáil to question anything. Weird that anyone would purport to judge them on an utterly one-off set of circumstances.

Rosita wrote: »
    Better still people who will tell you that since the pandemic emerged that "they've done a good job". This is a scenario where they get to stand in front of microphones regularly, have the entire population by and large doing what they are told, and no opposition in the Dáil to question anything. Weird that anyone would purport to judge them on an utterly one-off set of circumstances.

I think to be fair the handling of the covid Crisis across a lot of countries leaves a lot to be desired. Mchugh didn't do a great job on it. He should have held his ground on the LC. Look around your parks now? Yes he could not forssee the future but hotels etc empty. It was possible.
    Meanwhile I paid out close to 400 euro for medical consultants. The health service nd housing are two reasons why nobody should vote for FF/FG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

They are #playingablinder though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norma_Foley

Our new minister apparently

Zero experience of being a TD but is now a minister for Education.

Does not inspire me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

She will struggle to be any more incompetent than McHugh, or any more destructive than Bruton and Quinn. We'll see!

She will struggle to be any more incompetent than McHugh, or any more destructive than Bruton and Quinn. We'll see!

And Jan O'Sullivan in between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    And Jan O'Sullivan in between them.

She just carried on Quinn's ego projects after him. We can stick her jointly between the two camps, incompetent and destructive.

• Advertisement

This was exactly what was said about McHugh
    And “at least he is a teacher “

She is not going in to teach classes. She is going into an absolute mess at a crucial time with no ministerial experience .
    An afterthought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

km79 wrote: »
    This was exactly what was said about McHugh
    And “at least he is a teacher “

She is not going in to teach classes. She is going into an absolute mess at a crucial time with no ministerial experience .
    An afterthought

As I said in the other thread, education is the poor relation - give someone the nod - what harm can they do - it's in a bad shape already.

HPSC guidelines which are likely/will have to form the basis for return to school planning.
    Students from 3rd class up must maintain 1m physically distancing

https://www.education.ie/en/covid-19/interim-recommendations-for-the-reopening-of-schools-and-educational-facilities.pdf

Do we keep this thread now we’ve a new minister or move to a new one. 1m means 2.5 days per student? Is that what had been said? Jesus this is going to be a total mess

Do we keep this thread now we’ve a new minister or move to a new one. 1m means 2.5 days per student? Is that what had been said? Jesus this is going to be a total mess

For secondary - 2m but if not possible then AT LEAST 1m
    Students should remain in same classroom with same class and teachers as much as possible.
    as many double periods as possible

Cleaners clean the desks not teachers.
    Not much else in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re secondary schools, could I ask those who know why students move from classroom to classroom all day? I understand the need to move to labs and kitchens etc. But surely it is much easier for a teacher to move around.

Now forgive me if this doesn’t happen anymore I’m a long time out of the system re kids etc.

Re secondary schools, could I ask those who know why students move from classroom to classroom all day? I understand the need to move to labs and kitchens etc. But surely it is much easier for a teacher to move around.

Now forgive me if this doesn’t happen anymore I’m a long time out of the system re kids etc.

Options and levels. So like I teach music and maths. In music it’s one of 7 options on the line taken from all 150 students. In maths they are sorted OL and pass so cannot be in base classes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

There's also supervision issues - the teacher has to leave kids unsupervised as they move to the next room. I'm sure some schools would have no issues but if anything did happen during that time, who is responsible? Much safer from a supervision point of view to have kids move between rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

It'll be impossible to have 1m distance between 30 kids in the lab. Our desks are fixed.
    I'm presuming equipment can't be shared between students either.
    It'll be a nightmare for practical subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

There's also supervision issues - the teacher has to leave kids unsupervised as they move to the next room. I'm sure some schools would have no issues but if anything did happen during that time, who is responsible? Much safer from a supervision point of view to have kids move between rooms.

The school I went to had student based rooms for a while.
    Bunch of idiot teenage boys, sitting for up to 10 mins, calmly awaiting instruction!! Twas like madmax

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

If the younger classes are in pods. Will they be back as normal in September?

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    It'll be impossible to have 1m distance between 30 kids in the lab. Our desks are fixed.

I didn’t think we would be able to practical cookery classes? I teach home ec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Millem wrote: »
    I didn’t think we would be able to practical cookery classes? I teach home ec.

Yeah I don't see how they'd work with the current restrictions. We've very limited equipment - same as you'd have a few to an oven. All our Junior and most of our Senior classes are 30's.
    The woodwork/DCG/art classes will have similar issues.

I actually noted the lack of guidance on many practical subjects
    We only have 24 in any class and our labs only hold 24 but still a problem

• Advertisement

The claims culture in this country

Yeah I don't see how they'd work with the current restrictions. We've very limited equipment - same as you'd have a few to an oven. All our Junior and most of our Senior classes are 30's.
    The woodwork/DCG/art classes will have similar issues.

We have 20. We should be okish with regard to not sharing equipment. It will be the cleaning/sanitising of the equipment that will be the problem.
    Also maintaining social distancing between the teacher and student during practical classes will be very difficult.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Realistically, these plans cannot be implemented in most schools therefore the plan will change by September. The poor principals will still have to try to pull something together over the next few weeks meaning even less holiday time than usual. There could be a few retirements by September.

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Realistically, these plans cannot be implemented in most schools therefore the plan will change by September. The poor principals will still have to try to pull something together over the next few weeks meaning even less holiday time than usual. There could be a few retirements by September.

There has been a really noticeable increase in the number of principal and deputy principal jobs advertised over the last few months
    It can’t be just a coincidence

• Advertisement

There has been a really noticeable increase in the number of principal and deputy principal jobs advertised over the last few months

There will be bedlam in schools next year for a number of reasons whilst Joe McHugh sits on the back benches deluding himself about the great job he did.

I wouldnt want the stress of this, as we know the public will blame the teachers when it goes tits up

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    There will be bedlam in schools next year for a number of reasons whilst Joe McHugh sits on the back benches deluding himself about the great job he did.

I would blame McHugh over the LC but I think his arm was probably twisted over that one possibly ? Otherwise why does he get such bad press ?

In most schools pupils move around. Not teachers particularly with the dawn of IT equipment.
    Personally I would not see the advantage of reversing to the old system of teachers moving around. It would leave kids unsupervised for anywhere between 5-10 minutes. Rooms would be destroyed.
    Furthermore teachers would have to cluster in work rooms or staffrooms with their books. You could not expect teachers to haul all their books etc around them all day.
    In our school we have small workrooms for teachers but mainly populated by teachers without rooms.
    Teachers are more likely to get ill but this document just seems to throw us to the wolves.
    You are going to have to hire more teachers because in my room you might have 25 kids packed in. Not possible with 1 metre distancing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This isn't implementable at secondary level. Just thinking of the timetabling, separate breaks would be very difficult. Keeping kids out of corridors at seperate times would be very difficult. Getting, particularly senior students who on different bands etc due to subject choices to stay in the same room as much as possible will be impossible.
    Actually the biggest social distancing issue for our school will be the buses bringing kids to school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

I would blame McHugh over the LC but I think his arm was probably twisted over that one possibly ? Otherwise why does he get such bad press ?

The department didn't help him by 'leaking' everything to bloody Emma O'Kelly and Carlo O'Brien. Utterly frustrating to hear about some of the most important decisions to be made in education in recent years from their tweets rather than from minister briefing or direct from department

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Keeping students in base classes in one room doesn't really make sense.

Senior cycle students are only together in their base class for PE and religion in my school. Every other class is a mix of the base classes.

Junior cycle are mixed for English, maths, Irish, science and all options.

What leadership did he show as minister during his tenure? Reinstating history does not count because if he had any principles he would have questioned the entire premise of the reforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PixiePop

khalessi wrote: »
    Nope they wont keep them closed, they want them open and have totally disregarded teacher health and wellbeing despite schools being workplaces.

Schools aren't just workplaces. They're also centres of education. Teachers should not be the only consideration. The lives and futures of hundreds of thousands of children also needs to be factored in. What kind of outcome do they have in life with half an education? Will we have to extend the number of years they spend in school? Hospitals are workplaces too but the nurses and doctors didn't refuse to do their jobs unless 2m social distancing was put in place. And I see lots of other workplaces where 2m distancing just isn't practical. Why do teachers get to refuse? I know nurses/doctors are in life and death situations but I would also regard education as being pretty paramount, like health.

It has begun
    Well played Joe

• Advertisement
Advertisement