Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Peterx wrote: »
    Quite possibly!

Would anyone consider signing up? Did Amsterdam in 2018 and it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Looking at second waves in other places you'd have to think that there's a fair risk of cancellation amid further lockdown measures.
    See Melbourne today for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Irish 3/4 marathon cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Would anyone consider signing up? Did Amsterdam in 2018 and it was great.

Yeah but waiting on Paris to cancel as it's on the same day.

Also getting weary of paying all that money for races that get canceled (Connemara, Dingle, Paris?)

Also countries who have reopened are experiencing increase cases (not surprising, it about how well it is handled) e.g. Croatia

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Any word on Dublin Graded Meets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Down South wrote: »
    Any word on Dublin Graded Meets?

I was told 22nd July, 5th and 12th August. Nothing on the website yet, and no idea of venues. Source is reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I was told 22nd July, 5th and 12th August. Nothing on the website yet, and no idea of venues. Source is reliable.

Will events at each meet remain same as originally scheduled and advertised?

Are Cork graded meets going ahead?

Snodge wrote: »
    Will events at each meet remain same as originally scheduled and advertised?

I've no idea.

Surely they'll need to look at the schedule again and rework it to make sure every distance and event is covered once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Clonmel half marathon cancelled, Charleville is still clinging on there for Sept 13th but registrations have been closed for a while now.

• Advertisement

Gradeds officially confirmed now, 22 July, 5 and 12 Aug. Meet 1 and 3 Santry, 2 in Tallaght.

Gradeds officially confirmed now, 22 July, 5 and 12 Aug. Meet 1 and 3 Santry, 2 in Tallaght.

Same events as originally planned?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Down South wrote: »
    Same events as originally planned?

Events schedule not announced yet. Probably restricted numbers and online entry only. Schedule TBA.

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,026 ✭✭✭✭event

Pop up races had this on FB today. 52 entrants. Its going to take a whole lot of spacing for a couple of hundred runners

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

event wrote: »
    Pop up races had this on FB today. 52 entrants. Its going to take a whole lot of spacing for a couple of hundred runners

That's my hopes of Waterford half gone. I'd have been too afraid to run it (mentally and covid wise) by the time it came round anyway probably. Races are essentially just an individual time trial anyway I guess with that sort of start line. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Murph_D wrote: »
    Events schedule not announced yet. Probably restricted numbers and online entry only. Schedule TBA.

https://www.dublinathletics.com/

Schedule up now...

https://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/567/Revised%20Graded.pdf

The selection is not ideal for me (just 1 1500m, 1 3000m, 1 800m and no 5000m), but it's a difficult situation for the officials so happy with any races!

I understand they're expecting a lot of entries and, given the evening starts, they would be going all night with the usual 2 distance events per meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

IMRA have given the go ahead for 3 weekend races. No mention of spacing/individual start times. There's going to be a requirement for face masks for the first kilometer which will no doubt be uncomfortable but should at least allow for an actual race and not a time trial. Also should provide some popcorn thread fun, I know some members will be getting very wound up :pac:

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Stark wrote: »
    IMRA have given the go ahead for 3 weekend races. No mention of spacing/individual start times. There's going to be a requirement for face masks for the first kilometer which will no doubt be uncomfortable but should at least allow for an actual race and not a time trial. Also should provide some popcorn thread fun, I know some members will be getting very wound up :pac:

.....or a buff.....

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Or a buff. Though I wouldn't recommend it personally, I find them much more uncomfortable to breathe through than a regular facemask.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

With leinster masters coming up start of August would like to get an 800 in mid to late July. Any possibilities to keep an eye out for? Dublin graded is week of leinsters unfortunately

• Advertisement

A DQ if you take it off before the 1k mark?

That's my hopes of Waterford half gone. I'd have been too afraid to run it (mentally and covid wise) by the time it came round anyway probably. Races are essentially just an individual time trial anyway I guess with that sort of start line. :confused:

Yeah gonna be different. Plus no hanging about at the end. I'd never be close to actually winning anything, I always like the chats at the end. But that's gone now too :(

event wrote: »
    A DQ if you take it off before the 1k mark?

Yeah. There'll be a marshal at 1km to let people know when it's okay to take it off apparently.

I presume chucking disposable masks in a nearby bush will also be a DQ ;)

More updates:

The Open Meeting to run alongside Leinster U17 and U19 is no more. Restricted numbers means it can't happen.

Moyne AC have an open meeting on July 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Yeah. There'll be a marshal at 1km to let people know when it's okay to take it off apparently.

I presume chucking disposable masks in a nearby bush will also be a DQ ;)

Wearing a buff whilst trying to run the first k of Lug, I hope they have an oxygen tank at the ready and a sick bucket

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wearing a mask/ buff for the first km of a marathon distance event, not a problem.
    Of a half, would rather not.
    Of a 10km, not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

More updates:

The Open Meeting to run alongside Leinster U17 and U19 is no more. Restricted numbers means it can't happen.

Moyne AC have an open meeting on July 25th.

Program is here: https://moyneathleticclub.com/%f0%9f%93%a3-summer-games-2020-%f0%9f%93%a3/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

The first k of lug is a gain of 150 metres or so. Breathing without a mask is just about possible. Anyway better than no race.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Schedule up now...

https://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/567/Revised%20Graded.pdf

The selection is not ideal for me (just 1 1500m, 1 3000m, 1 800m and no 5000m), but it's a difficult situation for the officials so happy with any races!

I understand they're expecting a lot of entries and, given the evening starts, they would be going all night with the usual 2 distance events per meet.

Such a shame that graded meet 2 on 5th Augustvis just days before Leinster Seniors, especially for longer distance athletes, hoping to run graded 3k for example as they will likely have to give it a miss if hoping to give there full focus to leinster 3 days later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

There's no obvious reason they couldn't add on a couple of extra graded meets, surely.

Advertisement