Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I take it that this means a lot of Parkruns could be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

sideswipe wrote: »

Not sure as they mention distancing also. Will avoid races for july anyhow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

sideswipe wrote: »

Would need a limit of more than a couple of hundred for parkrun as there are enough events bigger than that in Ireland and they won't bring it back until there is no social distancing requirements in the country under parkruns current policy. I'd also now expect parkrun to wait until NZ has been going for several weeks even if Ireland was for some reason to lift all restrictions immediately.

Don't get your hopes up just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Would need a limit of more than a couple of hundred for parkrun as there are enough events bigger than that in Ireland and they won't bring it back until there is no social distancing requirements in the country under parkruns current policy. I'd also now expect parkrun to wait until NZ has been going for several weeks even if Ireland was for some reason to lift all restrictions immediately.

Don't get your hopes up just yet.

But I would say it's time to focus the training more. Races in sept for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Feck. Has anyone been doing interval sessions/tempo runs? :pac:

You may jest, but as a frontline worker doing some 24 hour shifts and working full-time all along, I've been training 5-6 days per week including tempos and timetrials all through this. And I'm very much a mid-pack runner.

I'd have very little sympathy for people 'stuck' at home who haven't! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

pc11 wrote: »

It is great that you have been to continue your training during this period, but perhaps judging others who live in different circumstances is not so wise.

Being genuinely stuck at home is not a comfortable situation, it is tough on your mental, may raise anxiety and worries levels.

One thing we know for training is that routine is good: being furloughed, working from home, having to look after children at home or caring for others are just some examples of situations that are not easy to deal with.

We all need more sympathy at this time not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Snodge

Does anyone have handy information about a race in mondello next week? Overheard someone talking about it while out running the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Snodge wrote: »
    Does anyone have handy information about a race in mondello next week? Overheard someone talking about it while out running the other day

Thread on it here
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058087196/1/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You may jest, but as a frontline worker doing some 24 hour shifts and working full-time all along, I've been training 5-6 days per week including tempos and timetrials all through this. And I'm very much a mid-pack runner.

So basically life has been exactly the same as normal for the last few months then, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Will be interested to see what happens with the Cork city 10 mile race scheduled for Aug 22nd, attracted over 1k participants last year. Announcement coming at the end of the month.

IMG_20200619_190308_776-1024x833.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Kilbeggan 10 mile is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Guill wrote: »
    Kilbeggan 10 mile is on.

A limit of 500 participants. Heard from someone involved in the event that the entries have been flying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I signed up, only out the road from me. Great to have a target again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

The rescheduled Spring Manchester Marathon - now October 11th. Not yet cancelled with final decision July 17th !! Anyone still signed up ? Can't go ahead can it ??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

The rescheduled Spring Manchester Marathon - now October 11th. Not yet cancelled with final decision July 17th !! Anyone still signed up ? Can't go ahead can it ??

I'm signed up. I reckon they're waiting to see what London does.
    Hard to know what will happen really. Easing of restrictions seems to have accelerated here and in the UK lately so who knows what will be in place come October.

Just seen on this post that the Hamburg marathon is now going ahead in September. 10,000 runners plus 4,000 for the half so close enough to Manchester in size. Article says marathon will have a 2 hour starting window and they'll start in batches of 1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

On the radio just now, the NY marathon is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,034 ✭✭✭✭event

Berlin gone too

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Would be a miracle if it did tbh! The UK is a disaster Covid-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Via Cathal Dennehy on Twitter

22nd/23rd August - National Senior T&F - Morton

6th September - National Masters T&F - Morton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

opus wrote: »
    On the radio just now, the NY marathon is cancelled.

Thats my year totally f****d now, was to run Paris last April and NY in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

All sports possible in The Netherlands from 1st of July, not sure what it’s means for Amsterdam & Rotterdam Marathons but it can only be positive.

So basically life has been exactly the same as normal for the last few months then, which is nice.

Yeah, normal. Except for that global pandemic thing, utter chaos in hospitals, people dying, my colleagues being out sick, a complete revolution in how we deliver healthcare, loss of cancer screening and other services and fear of getting ill every time I walk in the hospital.

Apart from that, totally normal, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

NI Masters the day before National Masters. Shocking scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Chivito550 wrote: »
    NI Masters the day before National Masters. Shocking scheduling.

At least they'll have some track championship in NI and Leinster.
    Munster on the other hand.....

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Ceepo wrote: »
    At least they'll have some track championship in NI and Leinster.
    Munster on the other hand.....

I have a sneaky suspicion Munster Athletics will reverse that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Seannew1 wrote: »
    I have a sneaky suspicion Munster Athletics will reverse that decision.

Hopefully you're right.

Yeah, normal. Except for that global pandemic thing, utter chaos in hospitals, people dying, my colleagues being out sick, a complete revolution in how we deliver healthcare, loss of cancer screening and other services and fear of getting ill every time I walk in the hospital.

Apart from that, totally normal, yeah.

What do you think the rest of us have been dealing with in our lives and jobs? It may be that not all heroes wear capes, but no heroes tell the people they are saving that their problems are insignificant and to just get over it.

If you want to be praised then don't the rest of us we're **** at life. It doesn't help in the slightest. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Ceepo wrote: »
    Hopefully you're right.

Unless cases rise considerably and I really really hope that doesn't happen, then I can't see any reason why it won't. Significant too that athletic's Ireland have put out detailed protocols for road racing.

What do you think the rest of us have been dealing with in our lives and jobs? It may be that not all heroes wear capes, but no heroes tell the people they are saving that their problems are insignificant and to just get over it.

If you want to be praised then don't the rest of us we're **** at life. It doesn't help in the slightest. :mad:

Wow, that was originally a lighthearted jokey thread. I had seen some of the vicious OTT rows elsewhere by people who had too much time on their hands and shook my head. I have no time for that so I'm out of this.
    Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

OOnegative wrote: »
    All sports possible in The Netherlands from 1st of July, not sure what it’s means for Amsterdam & Rotterdam Marathons but it can only be positive.

Quite possibly!

Advertisement