Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus and events

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

Our clubs annual 5 miler going ahead in Wexford

https://www.facebook.com/372366676280496/posts/1479462952237524/?d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »
    Wearing a mask/ buff for the first km of a marathon distance event, not a problem.
    Of a half, would rather not.
    Of a 10km, not a chance.

Any reason why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I imagine his reasoning is pace, and the resulting level of breathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Snodge

pc11 wrote: »
    There's no obvious reason they couldn't add on a couple of extra graded meets, surely.

Agreed

Down South wrote: »
    Our clubs annual 5 miler going ahead in Wexford

https://www.facebook.com/372366676280496/posts/1479462952237524/?d=n

A pity the date clashes with national senior t&f championships

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Hurrache wrote: »

Precisely. Intensity level would be too high from the start to be able to avoid breathing in the buff within the first 100m of a 10km.

Hurrache wrote: »

Galen Rupp ran 28:38 for 10k in usa trials with a mask.

Understand people dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Galen Rupp ran 28:38 for 10k in usa trials with a mask.

Understand people dont like it.

Very poor time by Rupps standard.

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Very poor time by Rupps standard.

It's all he needed to do to win and his allergies were at him also

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

opus wrote: »
    Will be interested to see what happens with the Cork city 10 mile race scheduled for Aug 22nd, attracted over 1k participants last year. Announcement coming at the end of the month.

IMG_20200619_190308_776-1024x833.jpg
    Cancelled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Northern Ireland Masters on September 5th now cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Snodge wrote: »

Well, it covers 100, 200, 400, 800, 1500, 5,000 10,000. Main field events seem to be covered too (long jumpers and shot putters are particularly well catered for). Good to have rescued the Dublin 10,000m championships. It looks pretty good under the circumstances? No point continuing beyond the nationals. Fair play to them for sorting something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭pc11

Murph_D wrote: »
    No point continuing beyond the nationals.

How so? Why not have some extra graded meets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Clonmel half marathon cancelled, Charleville is still clinging on there for Sept 13th but registrations have been closed for a while now.

And it's gone as well :(
    After much careful deliberation, North Cork AC, today confirms the cancellation of the 2020 Charleville International Half-Marathon.

The health and safety of our participants, our volunteers and our community within Charleville and the surrounding areas is always our highest priority, and this tough decision was made with their well-being foremost in our minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

What are the chances of Run Galway Bay 3rd October - 10k/ half and full entries available. Chances are slim to anorexic I'd say

Graded meet entries open for anybody who is a club member and wants to get a race in. Track races might be the only races you get in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Graded meet entries open for anybody who is a club member and wants to get a race in. Track races might be the only races you get in 2020.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Chivito550 wrote: »

Thanks. Can someone tell me if all athletes participate in 10,000m?? I am about 43 mins for 10k so might be a bit slow!

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Thanks. Can someone tell me if all athletes participate in 10,000m?? I am about 43 mins for 10k so might be a bit slow!

The Graded series is open to everyone and the organisers do encourage athletes of all standards to take part. I'd absolutely recommend the series to anyone who's never tried the track before to give it a go.

Having said that, 10000m on the track looks like a particularly grim experience!! It's 25 laps of the track so even a few seconds a lap adds up after 25 times round. I'm sure there are people who love it!

You can check previous years' results here (https://graded.dublinathletics.com/results.php) and here (https://www.dublinathletics.com/) to get an idea of the standard.

Last year, there were only 8 entries in the combined 10000m women and men race; the winner ran 31:40 and last place ran 37:58. In 2018, there were only 8 again and the winner ran 32:12 and last place ran 41:26. In 2017, there were 12 and the winner ran 31:53 and last place ran 36:24.

The 5000m is on this year too and generally attracts a much broader range of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Sacksian wrote: »
    The Graded series is open to everyone and the organisers do encourage athletes of all standards to take part. I'd absolutely recommend the series to anyone who's never tried the track before to give it a go.

Having said that, 10000m on the track looks like a particularly grim experience!! It's 25 laps of the track so even a few seconds a lap adds up after 25 times round. I'm sure there are people who love it!

You can check previous years' results here (https://graded.dublinathletics.com/results.php) and here (https://www.dublinathletics.com/) to get an idea of the standard.

Last year, there were only 8 entries in the combined 10000m women and men race; the winner ran 31:40 and last place ran 37:58. In 2018, there were only 8 again and the winner ran 32:12 and last place ran 41:26. In 2017, there were 12 and the winner ran 31:53 and last place ran 36:24.

The 5000m is on this year too and generally attracts a much broader range of times.

That's super information, thanks a million!! Might stick with the shorter races!! The Groundsmen in Morton wouldn't be too happy waiting around for me all night to finish the 10000 !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Id say it will be pretty hot this year, there's a whole lot of road runners who have spent months waiting for a race, could be fun!

100m and 1500m are full already (Meet 1).

Murph_D wrote: »
    100m and 1500m are full already (Meet 1).

Yep, those who are organised around their racing schedule will be rewarded this season. Those who rely on their coaches or parents to enter them in races, or who are very last minute kind of people, will not get to race much, or at all, this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,992 ✭✭✭✭event

Sacksian wrote: »

When/where are these on and are spectators allowed?

event wrote: »
    When/where are these on and are spectators allowed?

https://www.dublinathletics.com/attachments/article/567/Updated%20Revision%20of%20Graded%20Programme%202020.pdf

It doesn’t say anything specific about spectators being excluded so I’d imagine it’s not an issue. You could email to be sure.

Chicago cancelled. Refund or deferred entry offered.

Leinsters not opening entries as they were working off 500 limit originally. They're to meet and decide how to move forward

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Leinsters not opening entries as they were working off 500 limit originally. They're to meet and decide how to move forward

Looks like the track season begins and ends next Wednesday.

• Advertisement

Dublin graded saying they're reviewing also, will know later hopefully...

Advertisement