Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Not after this evening ;) New Minister incoming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭horse7

So possibly this department ,Parent department: Department of Public Expenditure and Reform of Ireland, that is in charge of the OPW .

Great news. Though it might not happen, as described, right now, it clearly shows the direction of travel. I’ll be adding my voice to the supporters of this as loudly as I can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Rosser wrote: »
    Everyone on the same page and all good - teamwork makes the car free Phoenix Park dream work

Well I think you should give people enough rope.

This is about 10th time the OPW have done some form of major gate or road closing policy over the years .Just like every other time, it's been poorly thought out and almost always rolls back in some form.

So with that perspective. They should just do what they really want and close the park completely to all cars for 12 months or so. See how it works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,683 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Also, I sat on a jury myself in the CCJ for six weeks, I was picked on the last day and I've seen how difficult it is to get solid jurors. If the Courts Service see the easy parking for them being eliminated, phone calls will be made.
    If only there was some other possible way to get to the CCJ other than private car, such as the train, tram and bus services that all run beside or a very short walk away?
    Stark wrote: »
    Had a friend who worked in a building across the road from the CCJ (Dublin region homeless executive). They had an arrangement with the Aisling hotel where he could park in their car park for free (at a great value arrangement for the taxpayer I'm sure, especially as his space sat empty as he didn't have a car). Wonder could something similar be done for the CCJ. Of course it would mean lots more taxpayer money going to towards carpark owners

Not sure that taxpayer-funded parking is a great idea - another subsidy to private car owners. If jurors want to park in the Aisling, let them pay for it, just like anyone else does. We don't pay public transport costs for jurors, so why would we pay private transport costs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

beauf wrote: »
    Well I think you should give people enough rope.

This is about 10th time the OPW have done some form of major gate or road closing policy over the years .Just like every other time, it's been poorly thought out and almost always rolls back in some form.

So with that perspective. They should just do what they really want and close the park completely to all cars for 12 months or so. See how it works out.

May as well close the Zoo down if that's the case.
    I'm all for making parks a safe and enjoyable place for pedestrians, cyclists and runners alike but not everyone lives right beside the Park and will have to drive to get there.
    I'm not in the Phoenix Park all that often as I'm not from Dublin but I do bring the kids to the Zoo now and again. Just wouldn't be possible for us to go with 4 small kids if we can't bring the car into the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

They should just bite the bullet now and shut down the entire park, put a park and ride in place and stopping messing around

FinnC wrote: »
    May as well close the Zoo down if that's the case.
    I'm all for making parks a safe and enjoyable place for pedestrians, cyclists and runners alike but not everyone lives right beside the Park and will have to drive to get there.
    I'm not in the Phoenix Park all that often as I'm not from Dublin but I do bring the kids to the Zoo now and again. Just wouldn't be possible for us to go with 4 small kids if we can't bring the car into the park.

Certainly would reduce the catchment. But let them try it for a couple of years. Really the lockdown is the best opportunity they'll ever have to make it car free. Which had always been the opw ultimate objective.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They should just bite the bullet now and shut down the entire park, put a park and ride in place and stopping messing around

Park and ride would defeat the point. Really they don't want cars anywhere near the city or the park even outside of it. Time to rethink those electric scooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

If only there was some other possible way to get to the CCJ other than private car, such as the train, tram and bus services that all run beside or a very short walk away?

:D

• Advertisement

maxsmum wrote: »
    :D

Because for 5 or 6 people and kids spending an extra 30 - 40 mins each way and paying for a bunch of tickets on public transport with what ever we decide to bring with us, is much handier than hopping in the car for 5-10 mins.

The solution is obvious. Just go somewhere else. Leave the park to tourists and those who find it easy to access.

Lots of other parks around with parking, facilities and coffee shops if the phoenix park doesn't suit. Just use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Great , the Phoenix park only for those who can access it on foot and the rest of us can go and féck off . ? Seriousely that Park is for all and I would object strongly if I had to leave it to those who can walk into it .
    We often take the car for a trip to the Phoenix park and have done for years and years .We respect it, park where we are allowed , take our rubbish and enjoy a long walk or a sit down . I would be deeply upset if we no longer could do that .

Park and ride would defeat the point. Really they don't want cars anywhere near the city or the park even outside of it. Time to rethink those electric scooters.

A park and ride using small electric buses is what I mean.....if people want to go via the park

Every other major city seems to have moved to scooters, all over Germany, Poland and Austria I was in the last few months have them available. Why not Dublin?

Shut down cars and put alternatives in place

A park and ride using small electric buses is what I mean.....if people want to go via the park....

Just go to another park. Lots of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Great , the Phoenix park only for those who can access it on foot and the rest of us can go and féck off . ? Seriousely that Park is for all and I would object strongly if I had to leave it to those who can walk into it .
    We often take the car for a trip to the Phoenix park and have done for years and years .We respect it, park where we are allowed , take our rubbish and enjoy a long walk or a sit down . I would be deeply upset if we no longer could do that .

There will still be car access and car parks for the zoo and farmleigh etc
    I am talking about stopping the use of the Chesterfield avenue as a car park basically
    The park has been so much safer and pleasant the last few months. Anyone with a small child has to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭horse7

Still no parking on whitesgate road, its not even in the park and garda cones all along it. All the garda webpage has is https://www.garda.ie/en/About-Us/Our-Departments/Office-of-Corporate-Communications/Press-Releases/2011/May/Latest-Garda-Traffic-Information-for-Dublin-City-on-Monday-23rd-May.html . I think the tail is wagging the dog. (OPW rule ok)

Just go to another park. Lots of them around.

Why should we? its a park not a road

Why should we? its a park not a road

You don't have to. You can use the park and ride and electric buses.

maxsmum wrote: »
    There will still be car access and car parks for the zoo and farmleigh etc
    I am talking about stopping the use of the Chesterfield avenue as a car park basically
    The park has been so much safer and pleasant the last few months. Anyone with a small child has to agree.

For now. Never be a better time to stop all cars accessing the park. Zoo is beside a bus stop, Luas and rail. Farmleigh has lots of entrances that don't go through the park and isn't that far from a bus stop either.

For now. Never be a better time to stop all cars accessing the park. Zoo is beside a bus stop, Luas and rail. Farmleigh has lots of entrances that don't go through the park and isn't that far from a bus stop either.

Do you live within easy access to the Phoenix Park ? Can you walk into it ?

• Advertisement

You don't have to. You can use the park and ride and electric buses.

My preference would be no traffic

But if people have to use the park then at least an electric bus will mean no fumes from combustion engine

Do you live within easy access to the Phoenix Park ? Can you walk into it ?

Everyone can walk into it.

Define "within easy access"…..

I've cycled to and through it a lot. I've walked though it and I've even waded through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I live walking distance from the park so I’m grand but I think it’s really unfair that not everyone can get to it now. They could build a car park somewhere outside the park and then stop all traffic within the park itself. It’s a public park meant for everyone, not just the select few who can stroll down to it.

My preference would be no traffic

But if people have to use the park then at least an electric bus will mean no fumes from combustion engine

You mean "car traffic" as bicycles and buses are also "traffic".

A shuttle bus sounds ideal. Last time it was organised badly and didn't work. It also wasn't viable back then for a variety of reasons. Not sure it would have numbers this time either. There's a load of practical issues with it.

But they could certain trial a proof of concept with a regular bus during lockdown.

Someone on the other thread pointed out it's not illegal to park on the R109. You can obviously park obnoxiously in a residential area near it. I think that's a bit half assed.

Why not try closing it completely for 12 months. We've pretty much had a trial already during the lockdown. If you haven't been in the park in that time you probably know it's not an issue for you, if you've not made the effort to visit it.

During lockdown I've only been in it cycling, and dropping people down for hikes. We've spent most of our time in local parks. We haven't renewed our zoo pass for the first time in many years. I think it unlikely we'll ever get one again. Normally we'd be in the zoo and park a lot.

Everyone can walk into it.

Define "within easy access"…..

it.

Within walking distance with young children ? Or within walking distance for the eldery , or within walking distance for someone who is not able to walk long distances due to arthritis ?

Then I can’t walk far , i have tendon damage , my husband has arthritis in his hip
    We love to drive to the Phoenix park , park there and have a nice stroll , sit on a bench and stroll back again . I beieve the Park should be for us too and not just for people who can walk to it from home . Its a Park for us all , young , old and everyone else in between . I would be hurt and disappointed if it was anything else
    I have been going to the Park for over 60 years and would very much likr to continue doing so . Its not just for the fit young people its for us all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Someone on the other thread pointed out it's not illegal to park on the R109. You can obviously park obnoxiously in a residential area near it. I think that's a bit half assed.

Why not try closing it completely for 12 months. We've pretty much had a trial already during the lockdown. If you haven't been in the park in that time you probably know it's not an issue for you.

I've only been in it cycling, and dropping people down for hikes. We've spent most of our time in local parks.

If people weren’t in the park during lockdown it’s probably more to do with them not being allowed further than 5km from their house?

If people weren’t in the park during lockdown it’s probably more to do with them not being allowed further than 5km from their house?

Exactly . We haven’t been because we stayed local as asked to do . We look forward now to visiting it again

Within walking distance with young children ? Or within walking distance for the eldery , or within walking distance for someone who is not able to walk long distances due to arthritis ?

Then I can’t walk far , i have tendon damage , my husband has arthritis in his hip
    We love to drive to the Phoenix park , park there and have a nice stroll , sit on a bench and stroll back again . I beieve the Park should be for us too and not just for people who can walk to it from home . Its a Park for us all , young , old and everyone else in between . I would be hurt and disappointed if it was anything else
    I have been going to the Park for over 60 years and would very much likr to continue doing so . Its not just for the fit young people its for us all

In that case no. It's a considerable walk.
    Cycling with family is less than ideal. Though I have dragged some of them with the park with me. Few injuries myself. I'll be getting electric bike sooner rather than later.

Well they don't want us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah don't ever leave, you're great craic.

Its clear you've never sat on a criminal jury. The case I once sat on in the CCJ ran for 6 weeks, it was a gang murder, it was fraught and it involved random hours coming in and out and sequestration.

So, at the best of times, public transport is impractical for the CCJ. At reduced service capacity for the duration of this crisis, its a bust.

Advertisement