Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking and traffic in Phoenix Park

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

polesheep wrote: »
    There are cars parked on the grass throughout the Park at the weekend. The only solution is to reduce the number of cars in the Park. I'm still waiting to hear where these 'dead spaces' are. And I agree with you, Farmleigh should be accessed from Tower road.

There's no point in explaining this further. if you think the park is fully, 100% utilized, zero dead space, and it makes sense to allow uncontrolled parking vs car parks then there is no point discussing further. The OPW approach is all over the place. They have closed roads in the past for no reason and were forced to reopen them. They have done nothing for cycling for years, they've never even resurfaced the cycle lane at parkgate street. Poor signage and illogical layouts. illogical routing of traffic, and causing grid lock.

We have all the usual ranting that cars shouldn't be allowed in, and its only commuters driving through and parking. That the park is overflowing only because of the car ban. Nothing to do with people being off work and school. Completely ignoring all common sense.

I don't care anymore. Lots of other parks in the area without these daft rules. No traffic jams and parking and public toilets and properly designed walks and trails, proper picnic areas and play grounds. Every other park many much smaller than PP can have a car park inside the entrance, leaving the rest empty of cars. Only the Phoenix Park seems to do everything differently. It hardly changed in 40 years.

Incidentally what company have the eBikes at the Castleknock end. Are they Bleeper bikes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

beauf wrote: »
    There's no point in explaining this further. if you think the park is fully, 100% utilized, zero dead space, and it makes sense to allow uncontrolled parking vs car parks then there is no point discussing further. The OPW approach is all over the place. They have closed roads in the past for no reason and were forced to reopen them. They have done nothing for cycling for years, they've never even resurfaced the cycle lane at parkgate street. Poor signage and illogical layouts. illogical routing of traffic, and causing grid lock.

We have all the usual ranting that cars shouldn't be allowed in, and its only commuters driving through and parking. That the park is overflowing only because of the car ban. Nothing to do with people being off work and school. Completely ignoring all common sense.

I don't care anymore. Lots of other parks in the area without these daft rules. No traffic jams and parking and public toilets and properly designed walks and trails, proper picnic areas and play grounds. Every other park many much smaller than PP can have a car park inside the entrance, leaving the rest empty of cars. Only the Phoenix Park seems to do everything differently. It hardly changed in 40 years.

All I'm asking is that you tell me where this 'dead space' is.

polesheep wrote: »
    All I'm asking is that you tell me where this 'dead space' is.

There isn't any. Every square foot is jammed with people and animals and wild flowers. There is absolutely no area that isn't heavily used by all the above. So busy in fact its impossible to park a car anywhere, or fly a drone, or practise with my trebuchet. Like the video posted earlier. Overrun with people.

Incidentally what company have the eBikes at the Castleknock end. Are they Bleeper bikes?

Found them. https://twitter.com/MobyMove

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

There isn't any. Every square foot is jammed with people and animals and wild flowers. There is absolutely no area that isn't heavily used by all the above. So busy in fact its impossible to park a car anywhere, or fly a drone, or practise with my trebuchet. Like the video posted earlier. Overrun with people.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,780 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

horse7 wrote: »
    Phoenix park is the biggest public park in Europe

Ehhhhhh no it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Is parking/driving/cycling in Phoenix Park really a Neighbourhood Watch issue in the first place?

Is parking/driving/cycling in Phoenix Park really a Neighbourhood Watch issue in the first place?

If they stop cars.. not anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

Think it deserves its own thread

• Advertisement

Caranica wrote: »
    Think it deserves its own thread

Already has a few around the place....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mod: Phoenix Park discussion split out from the Neighbourhood Watch thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Seve OB wrote: »
    Ehhhhhh no it is not.

It's the biggest enclosed park.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I said on one of the other threads that the North Road on the periphery should be used for driving through in place of Chesterfield Avenue. Open the NCR gate only for access to this. Accessible by all. Close Parkgate Street gates to car traffic. Something has to be done now. It is just ridiculous.

Pedestrian only at all other gates.

Parking is an issue, I don't know how that can be solved within the park without destroying its fabric.

...Something has to be done now. It is just ridiculous.....

This is entirely a deliberately created problem.
    Before the lock down with far higher levels of traffic it wasn't never this bad.

Its not the first time OPW in the park have done similar.

Don't reopen it, with a moronic traffic plan.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I don't know why they don't do what they usually do on summer weekends - close Chesterfield Avenue from the first roundabout at the Castleknock gate end to the roundabout at Áras an Uachtaráin but keep all gates open and allow traffic to use the outer roads. It keeps the middle bit of the park free of traffic for families, cyclists, pedestrians, etc. while still being accessible and less of a 'short cut' for those hoping to nip through to/from town. They could even extend it to the roundabout at the other end of the park near the zoo.

I would love to see some traffic stats on how well that worked.

Personally that forced me to drive much further in the park than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I’ve been using the park for years but have stopped since they closed the Chapilizod gate. This adds another 20 mins drive time each way to get to park gate street entrance to park at the papal cross. Daft thing to do, probably decided by a cyclist like everything in Dublin these days.

I think it was a OPW to discourage traffic. Which kinda does work. Its mixed bag though.

I think it achieves this, but by pushing, traffic into the more scenic roads. Which seems counter productive.

There are three distinct issues.

1) Through traffic.
    3) People using it as Park and Ride
    2) Parking for people using the Park recreation.

The OPW objective always seems to be block all cars from the park entirely, and reduce the numbers of people using the park.

They should just put electronic gates on the park and issue tags to essential workers. End off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I visited(drove) to park for first time since lockdown last Sunday and only became aware of Chesterfield Ave not allowing parking then. However, I was able to drive in freely from Castleknock Gates with no delay. We got easy parking near Ashtown gates albeit on the grass verge where many others were parked. While it was busy along that perimeter road with walkers and cyclists in the mid afternoon, it was eerily quiet by 5pm as we returned to our car. I didn't see the traffic congestion everyone is talking about and this was a Sunday afternoon in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think its time to revert to standard Summer setup in the Park asap. Both for reasons of traffic control and returning numbers of people to the more remote areas of the Park, which itself is a vital passive security feature.

Close the Avenue from Mountjoy roundabout to the Phoenix Monument roundabout from Friday at 7pm to Monday at 6am, for small events and socially distanced leisure.

Re-open all eight traffic gates with alternative through route at weekends via the North Road and Ashtown.

Reinstate parking on the verge of the Avenue all week and on the sections available during weekend hours. This is a necessary relief valve for what will be a very popular national amenity and will be required for Dublin Zoo to be viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,991 ✭✭✭Caranica

I'd like to see Ashtown Gate closed if they can't put in a traffic management system. That junction with Blackhorse Avenue is one of the most ridiculous in the city. Right of way, what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Caranica wrote: »
    I'd like to see Ashtown Gate closed if they can't put in a traffic management system. That junction with Blackhorse Avenue is one of the most ridiculous in the city. Right of way, what's that?

Yeah it should be signal controlled like the NCR gate.

I don't see why they can't make the gates wider put a wide roundabout in.

Any signal controlled junction would make traffic worse. It makes it safer...but slower.

Closing Chesterfield ave to parking is brilliant, in fact they need to close the carparks to anyone not using the park. Although I don't know how, maybe use a time limit.
    It's usually full of cars using it as free parking for going to town.
    It's much better now since its only park users parking there.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Closing Chesterfield ave to parking is brilliant, in fact they need to close the carparks to anyone not using the park. Although I don't know how, maybe use a time limit.
    It's usually full of cars using it as free parking for going to town.
    It's much better now since its only park users parking there.

The problems with parking were also due to the numbers parking there using the park. As it was busy in the evening and the weekends. People parking on the grass and everywhere.

If the problem was only commuters it would be at it's worst at 9am and it isn't. It's easy to stop them just clamp people parking longer than 3 hours on a week day.

The fact that people using the park are having to park on the grass shows the lack of parking even now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I don't see why they can't make the gates wider put a wide roundabout in.

Any signal controlled junction would make traffic worse. It makes it safer...but slower.

Demolish a historical wall and gate to cater for traffic?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Demolish a historical wall and gate to cater for traffic?

They can move historical buildings.

I'm not sure why we can't move a wall and gate. It's not like we haven't moved the other ones or knocked them down by accident previously.

It's not for traffic. It's to facilitate better use of the park. Why not close the exit entirely and move it down to the roundabout at the race course entrance. Put a car park just inside in the entrance so people can park and walk to the visitor center, zoo, Farmleigh etc. And not have to drive all over it.

The whole park is man made. Currently it doesn't function properly. The current exit is an accident waiting to happen. It's insanely stupid to keep using it unchanged.

• Advertisement

The problems with parking were also due to the numbers parking there using the park. As it was busy in the evening and the weekends. People parking on the grass and everywhere.

If the problem was only commuters it would be at it's worst at 9am and it isn't. It's easy to stop them just clamp people parking longer than 3 hours on a week day.

The fact that people using the park are having to park on the grass shows the lack of parking even now.

The car parks & Chesterfield ave are full at 9am weekday mornings. They need to limit the time for parking.
    The only people parking on grass happens at the weekends when the park users increase

Advertisement