Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Next Government

Options
  • 15-06-2020 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭

So based on the update on RTE app now, FF/FG/Green have agreed the programme for government.
    Not much else apart from Michael Martin serving as Taoiseach till Dec 2022

Still to be passed by membership but at this stage it would be suicide for any party to pull out.

Good man Michael!!!

0_I190101_161817_2224750oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000171811064o.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

suppose it was the only 3 parties that would get mange to get toogether form the numbers that the electorate threw at them.

seeing as the"left alliance" never really took off in terms of negotiation (and probably didnt have the numbers in reality)

lets hop they do something but i suspect its more of the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

suppose it was the only 3 parties that would get mange to get toogether form the numbers that the electorate threw at them.

seeing as the"left alliance" never really took off in terms of negotiation (and probably didnt have the numbers in reality)

lets hop they do something but i suspect its more of the same

No such thing as a "left alliance", that was clear after PBP had to come out after the FF/FG/Green start negotiations to say SF had not come near them. Bit of a nail in that coffin every getting anywhere.

Some people might not like it, lets see how it works. FF in reality have to push and make this a success or they will struggle in next election.

A lot of finger pointing at the Greens which seems unfair seeing as any party which went into government had to push the green agenda forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking at the leaked text last night it seems that they are going to try and tackle the big issues. The onus is on them now.

Looking at comments on various articles this morning I'd suggest making Civics a compulsory subject in school. It seems many people don't know how vote management, Proportional Representation or how 25% is not a majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Programme for Government to committ to banning the sale of new and the importation of second-hand petrol and diesel cars from 2030. @rtenews

From M Lehane of RTÉ Twitter

This might be controversial

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I don't like when established parties will have to rely on fringe parties, things never go a good way then.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Looking at the leaked text last night it seems that they are going to try and tackle the big issues. The onus is on them now.

Looking at comments on various articles this morning I'd suggest making Civics a compulsory subject in school. It seems many people don't know how vote management, Proportional Representation or how 25% is not a majority.

Personally I would hit maths....

Also they should run an education program prior to election. Saying you "won" the election with 24% of first preference is not really true when every other election in the history of Ireland was "won" based on the number of seats

As you say, people seem to have difficultly understanding 24% is not a majority.

Programme for Government to committ to banning the sale of new and the importation of second-hand petrol and diesel cars from 2030. @rtenews

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1272464141194756099?s=21

Not really. It is new cars and along with similar announced by other countries.

By that stage most car manufacturers will have moved anyway. VW group expect its electric lines to be fully rolled out by 2025 and cutting out production of the likes of Golf etc by 2030 anyway

SO it might seem like a big statement but its not. You will still be buying and selling diesel/petrols till 2040 at least in second hand market

• Registered Users Posts: 12,739 ✭✭✭✭JRant

https://twitter.com/micheallehane/status/1272464141194756099?s=21

Probably not legal under EU rules but just like VRT it will be ignored.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

biko wrote: »
    I don't like when established parties will have to rely on fringe parties, things never go a good way then.
    It depends how solid the programme for government is. There's a risk to the Greens here too, as they are an easy target in a new election.

JRant wrote: »
    Probably not legal under EU rules but just like VRT it will be ignored.
    It's 10 years away so who knows what will be legal then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Nobody cares!!

Especially MacKenna who lives in bloody Brazil :P:P:P:P

People don't care that the party leaders they voted for lied before, during and after the election?

Strange country

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

People don't care that the party leaders they voted for lied before, during and after the election?

Strange country

Politicians lie, esp during elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Id say this deal with be remarkably difficult to get past the FF party membership, I cant see them voting for this. Thing is though if theres a fresh election they would get hammered so its a bit of a Hobsons choice for FF right now.

Strange country

Preelection promises and manifestos mean about as much as a fart in the wind.

Strange country

You do support SF don't you? :confused:

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Id say this deal with be remarkably difficult to get past the FF party membership, I cant see them voting for this. Thing is though if theres a fresh election they would get hammered so its a bit of a Hobsons choice for FF right now.

FF members I can see accepting, if they don't and it goes to another election they will get a hammering for not accepting. All the other parties can point the finger at them saying they are the fault of costing the people millions which we can't afford after Covid.

Get into government, try to get some good PR and go onto the next

Makes perfect sense for FG to do whatever they can to remain in government for the next few years as it will help quell any calls for inquiries into their handling of the COVID response.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Be funny now when FF members reject this

New election please

• Advertisement

New election please

Funny the SF fans have been banging that drum for months now.

So much for voting for "change" with SF. Still looking for the "change" down the back of the couch at this stage

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's 10 years away so who knows what will be legal then.

Very true, however VRT is against competition rules now and yet we still have it. I would expect a similar response to this being honest.

Makes perfect sense for FG to do whatever they can to remain in government for the next few years as it will help quell any calls for inquiries into their handling of the COVID response.
    Which handling do you have in mind?
    That's the purview of the COVID-19 committee, which is cross-party. There will also be other reviews of the care sector and the overall HSE and DoH performance.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Which handling do you have in mind?
    That's the purview of the COVID-19 committee, which is cross-party. There will also be other reviews of the care sector and the overall HSE and DoH performance.

And who will set the terms of reference for all these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

New election please

Be careful what you wish for SF will only lose ground in a new elections everyone's fed up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Hopefully the rack up the national debt by fair bit.

Might as well leave a big mess as no matter what they do they will be voted out for being an extreme right wing government. Meanwhile gays can marry each others,adopt kids etc. :rolleyes:

And who will set the terms of reference for all these?
    Well they seem to be doing it themselves. Don't forget that party leaders were in the loop on what was going on. TBH if you'd followed all of the briefings to date there's very little new detail coming out.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean okay they've gotten a draft programme for government but it still has to be voted on by the members of each party and the Green Party need 66% yes for the motion to pass. Is that a given ? I know it's probably something that needs to be moved on from but how many FF and FG members will vote to go into government officially with the other ? It's probably a small enough number but still I wouldn't discount it. I do know several FG members of a certain vintage who would see it as a bitrayal of their parents which might sound mad but they wouldn't vote FF in a fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Nobody wants MeHole Martian to be taoiseach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Charlie George

The programme for governmant is all about the green party proposals, they have only 12 seats but it looks like the tail is wagging the dog, surprised at fg, they would get a sttrong vote if there was another election, martin would sell his soul to be taoiseach and it looks like he has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement