Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a route like that saved too. My plan was to do it the day of the great Dublin bike ride because I found that route fairly boring.

Should be an audax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Took the winter bike out to clear my hangover and test the new parts I fitted. All was well apart from after cleaning, shortening and refitting my chain, I forgot to re-lube it. Therefore after approx 5 km it began to sound more like a sherman tank than a bike.
    A quick 33km was all I could stand of that noise - plus I was too overdressed for the weather.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3607081013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Surprised myself today - damp enough for clip-on mudguards so I went out from home (south inner city),only planning on going to Dalkey and back (about 27.5km), but was having a great run, so detoured over the East Link and up the Clontarf-Sutton bike path (avoided Howth as I hadn't brought food, and my single water bottle was by then only ¼ full), enjoyed the (very slight) tail wind home for a run of 58.8km in 2 hours dead on at 29.3 av, with av cadence of 90, but only 200m of climbing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Nice loop this morning. Back roads from Rathfarnham out to Enniskerry taking in Barnasligen, up the the Featherbeds and back via Foxes and Kilternan for 61k with 920m of up in three hours. Total pea soup up on the Featherbeds which I took quite slowly, just as well as a couple of runners emerged from the mist in the middle of the road at one point so I was pleased not to be carrying too much speed. Hordes of cyclists out, great to see and everyone seemed in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Longest ride yet, well happy with it, still buzzing but legs are starting to stiffen this evening.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qV1xd1W76

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decided to go out having had a handful of peanuts and a can of coke and do a loop of howth. decided while there to do another loop, and ran out of puff halfway up. still, first time i'd been up a hill in months, 50km at 27km/h, spotted Weepsie near Sutton too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yup, I just did the one loop. Had someone on my wheel all the way from Fairview shielding themselves from the wind. Dropped them on the climb. Thought I was a bit slow but I had 2nd fastest time up there today and might have been faster.

Way too many cars though.

Few too many cyclists happy to be on the footpath in groups yet moan about someone overtaking in the oncoming lane. Either take your lane and rightly give out, or wrongly take the footpath and still give out

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Weather was weird today...Dublin was in a grey, foggy and a bit damp when I left around 2, once up the hills though it was nice and warm, the sun shining in wicklow.

Had a stab at the shortest Cat 1 climb on Strava that is relatively near to dublin, which involved my first trip up kippure this year. Was gassed for the last k but managed to keep it upright til the top.

66k in a little under 3 hrs, 1295m vertical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3608889042

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

puddles22 wrote: »
    Longest ride yet, well happy with it, still buzzing but legs are starting to stiffen this evening.

https://www.relive.cc/view/v8qV1xd1W76
    And you by-passed Horn Head? Tut, tut!

retalivity wrote: »
    Weather was weird today...Dublin was in a grey, foggy and a bit damp when I left around 2, once up the hills though it was nice and warm, the sun shining in wicklow.

Had a stab at the shortest Cat 1 climb on Strava that is relatively near to dublin, which involved my first trip up kippure this year. Was gassed for the last k but managed to keep it upright til the top.

66k in a little under 3 hrs, 1295m vertical.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3608889042

Starting at the bottom of the Wall to the top of the Kippure for 5th place on Strava overall. Fair play and chapeau.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

smacl wrote: »
    Starting at the bottom of the Wall to the top of the Kippure for 5th place on Strava overall. Fair play and chapeau.

Cheers...but its 5th out of only 22 in fairness!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to Ballycanew, Gorey, out to Ferns and almost into Enniscorthy, left hook for Oulart and back on main road to Ballycanew. 75 km 500 up , avg 30kph. Followed by a 7km cool down spin home ftom Ballycanew.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭astraj

Longest spin in a long long time. https://strava.app.link/L30a3759h7
    Lovely afternoon. Not too hot and not too windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

And you by-passed Horn Head? Tut, tut!
    not quite ready for that hill just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Nice spin to Glencullen with a guy from work and a coffee in Johnny Foxes, back around to Ratharham and home. No wind which was nice.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

puddles22 wrote: »
    not quite ready for that hill just yet
    It ramps up in places alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I got out to Blessington today for the first time since the lockdown.

Grey, damp and somewhat misty leaving home and heading for Tallaght. Once past Brittas the sun shone. A lovely day to be back cycling in Wicklow.

The cloudy weather was still in Dublin when I returned but it cleared soon after - enough that I lit the BBQ for a protein feast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

https://www.strava.com/activities/3612809912

Handy spin out this morning. Hangover wasn't as bad but needed shifting so I decided to push a bit. Followed a guy out of Oldtown and pushed to keep up and ended up riding with him as far as Balbriggan.
    52km @ 31km/h

Few beers myself last night so took a leisurely 56k out to Enniskerry, Glencree and back via Foxes. Crazy amount of bikes out this morning, felt for all the world like a big sportive, passing people fixing punctures and mechanicals every few minutes. Briefly chatting to a bloke on the Featherbeds who managed to snap an axle (QR i'm assuming) which is a first for me. Great morning out but a bit busy for my liking, going to have to start getting out earlier on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

smacl wrote: »
    Great morning out but a bit busy for my liking, going to have to start getting out earlier on the weekends.

Go during the week if you can, when theres none of this mass movement to Dublins beauty spots.

I went up to the sally gap last Monday afternoon and it was blissfully quiet, but yet not isolated at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Not bad for a novice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Was tempted to try WA's circuit of the Dublin border but wisely decided that I needed to build up the milage first. Plotted a route from Glasnevin over to Westmanstown and around the southern border to Shankhill and back along the coast from there. It worked out really well even though I'm fairly knackered after it. New climbs (for me) at Cromwellstown and up to the Lead Mines at Ballycorus but the Lower Cunard Road was probably the toughest. 110km and 1,275m of climbing. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/course/35286204 is the course.

Hope to tackle the northern border during the week (155km and 1000m) before even considering the 230km full circuit.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Go during the week if you can, when theres none of this mass movement to Dublins beauty spots.

I went up to the sally gap last Monday afternoon and it was blissfully quiet, but yet not isolated at the same time.

Still working full time but getting out early most mornings for an hour beforehand. Might try and take a couple of days off to get a few longer spins in but will probably save it until the 20k is lifted. That said, Sally gap mid week in good weather would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Had someone to speak with on the spin today, first time in weeks. I'm happy soul in my own company but you get sick of your thoughts over 4 hours.

Picked a generally quite route & bar the odd impatient driver it was an a fantastic spin.

130km with 1200m of up @ a trucking along 31.3 avg.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

bennyx_o wrote: »
    Got a bike recently and helmet finally got delivered today so took it out for a quick spin (3.2miles or so in 28mins :o) - to say I'm unfit is an understatement (I am over 18st and average height at best) but, enjoyed it none the less and already looking forward to my next outing tomorrow evening

Following on from this, been out every pretty much evening gradually increasing - managed 18km today and feel like going out again this evening. Think I've caught the bug

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

Headed to Ballycanew, Gorey, out to Ferns and almost into Enniscorthy, left hook for Oulart and back on main road to Ballycanew.and on to Gorey 78km 500 up , avg almost 30kph. Followed by a 15km cool down spin home from Gorey 27.5 kph avg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was out Monday and again today. The volume of cyclists was PHENOMENAL. Once I got off the beaten track it was lovely though. 80km and 1000m climb. Lots of fitness left to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

if you cycle around dublin three times in a row anticlockwise, does the bogeyman appear?

Would that be like George Hook awakened from his slumber by the same cyclist going past him 3 times?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Did my first ever 100k spin on Saturday. The weather started out pretty poor and I wasn't sure if I was properly dressed for it but ended up been a lovely day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Rode a rough outline of Co Dublin today (with a few minor incursions into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow). 231k with about 2,000m climbing. Was soaked to the skin for several hours and the wind was a killer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3599809528

Some one stole your idea?

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/club-cyclists-map-200km-dublin-border-lock-down-ride-on-strava/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement