Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Went up Howth Hill today. Took 30 seconds off my PB. Good day and enjoyed that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

which side did you go up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

which side did you go up?

The southern side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was hoping to tackle it tomorrow, but the forecast is damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

Took to the hills tonight, up Cruagh to view point and on up the military road, down Cunard to Glenasmole and back up ballinascorney and in to Brittas. Up to the Lamb, into manor Kilbride and back via Lisheen, Brittas, down the embankment and home. 54km avg 23.28kph 768 m elevation. Horloxed :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The hellfire traffic jams, i have stopped going up/down stocking lane on weekends because of them, stick to stocking lane mon-fri, use cruagh sat/sun.

Herself was wondering if ikea queues were still bad, so used it as an excuse to go for a spin. 150+ still queuing after 7pm, and the store closing at 8 - madness. Decathlon also ready to go beside it, opening on sat - cheap bike gear ahoy!

Went out for a lap of the road between the runways then, a short tt with & then into the wind. Lovely empty road there in places, new tarmac, rarely used. Lack of planes on the runway is pretty eerie as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

godtabh wrote: »
    The southern side

Which side is that? I prefer to go up the village side and down past the graveyard. I don’t like descending into the village but I want to try and beat my times up the “scenic” side

Which side is that? I prefer to go up the village side and down past the graveyard. I don’t like descending into the village but I want to try and beat my times up the “scenic” side

Not the village side.

i generally refer to it as the TT side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

i generally refer to it as the TT side.

Surely you mean the 'easy' side.......??!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Why does everyone seem to think theres only the 2 ways up Howth, theres so much other ways like balkhill, balscadden, barren hill and windgate which are steeper and arguably better.
    Surely you mean the 'easy' side.......??!!:pac:
    Both the village and graveyard side are dead easy when you compare it to some of the off road climbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Roads are noticeably busier this morning - back to normal and I'm not sure if its the summer but there were so many more cyclists out in Limerick this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Tony04 wrote: »
    Why does everyone seem to think theres only the 2 ways up Howth, theres so much other ways like balkhill, balscadden, barren hill and windgate which are steeper and arguably better.

Both the village and graveyard side are dead easy when you compare it to some of the off road climbs.

Indeed there are 12! Which I hope to do in 1 go later in the year, fitness pending.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Indeed there are 12! Which I hope to do in 1 go later in the year, fitness pending.

Do you have the route I might try that if I'm acctually motivated to not just cycle up whichever side has a tailwind on the day .
    I can only think of 10 going up somewhere different everytime, anything else I'm forgetting.
    1. Hill tt
    2. Village side.
    3. Fintans- old carricbrack.
    4. Summit via Balscadden
    5. Sutton castle- barren hill- thormamby
    6. Balkhill- windgate.
    7. Bailey to summit
    8. Grace o Malley- summit
    9. Howth village- asgard- greys lane- windgate.
    10. Deer park.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think that's even my map :pac:

I lifted the route description from elsewhere and plotted it there, will see if I can find description again as might be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

on the commute this morning noticed new cycle lane(s, double ?) on Wolfe Tone quay...and a dodgy bit on the left hand side going over the bridge from heuston station..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was only thinking of trying something similar, there's a few spots in there I wasn't aware of! I've only made it back to Howth this week after a long break, but feel quite fit still. Laps of Portmarnock were more useful than I thought.

I also finally changed my shoes/pedals from MTB SPD, to SPD-SL on my road bike. I was worried they SDP-SL's would be significantly harder to get out of... not the case at all. I actually think the old pedals had gotten progressively stiffer over the years. All was good, just have to remember that the pedals only have clips on one side...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I'd avoid the Clane to Barberstown road for the next while, as Kildare CC have seen fit to rip up the mostly asphalt surface and replaced it with a chip seal covering. Grrreat!

Cycling it today was an exercise in dodging loose chippings kicked up by the passing traffic - not very nice. The vibrations were really jarring on the arms too. Thankfully, I found alternate routes during the 5km limit, but its a handy road for dropping the hammer and giving it a lash on the way back.

Hopefully, it will settle down into something resembling a decent surface for cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Saw the sky clearing and the road drying, so decided at 8.05pm after half a pizza and a cod and chips to go for a quick one up the viewing point before dark. A combination of racing the sun and a slight tailwind going up resulted in PRs all over the shop, and knocking nearly a minute of my target for up stocking/down cruagh that I had set for the end of the year - result!

https://www.strava.com/activities/3599878436

I'll put it down to all the carbs though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Rode a rough outline of Co Dublin today (with a few minor incursions into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow). 231k with about 2,000m climbing. Was soaked to the skin for several hours and the wind was a killer.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3599809528

Bloody Nora.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 flutehook

That's epic! Fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Rode a rough outline of Co Dublin today (with a few minor incursions into Meath, Kildare and Wicklow). 231k with about 2,000m climbing. Was soaked to the skin for several hours and the wind was a killer.

That's deadly fair play. Is there an app or something you planned that out with or did you just drop a whole bundle of way points on strava route builder.:eek:

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That's deadly fair play. Is there an app or something you planned that out with or did you just drop a whole bundle of way points on strava route builder.:eek:
    I did it manually on Strava routes bit by bit choosing roads which were close to the border (although I did miss a few smaller boreens that could have taken me closer). I then had a few paper notes for some junctions and roundabouts that I was not very familiar with. Strava also wouldn't plot some of the route that I knew was possible (e.g.off road bits) and it led me the wrong way down a couple of one way routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Plastik

Nicely done. I did the same around Wicklow a couple of years ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1687397869

Plastik wrote: »
    Nicely done. I did the same around Wicklow a couple of years ago.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1687397869
    I thought Wicklow would be a lot longer than that. I'd like to see someone do Co Cork - probably take 5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭CormacH94

Fair play Ash and Plastik, giving me inspiration to do a Meath one now

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I have a route file saved somewhere that looks like that, created it after seeing a fella from Luxembourg circumnavigate the country in one ride.

• Advertisement

if you cycle around dublin three times in a row anticlockwise, does the bogeyman appear?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement