Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

The plan was to go out this morning but heard the wind at 6am and went back to sleep. Just waiting for the dinner to settle now before I head out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

but heard the wind at 6am and went back to sleep.

east wind was pretty strong on my loops today and cool in spots...sun was grand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've been building the kids up to 25 km - and as now > 5 km , we got out to new cycle path in Baldoyle - fantastic job. Would be great if we just went and did this fully , including tunnels / flyovers , whatever it takes.

First bit of decent cycling front in years out that way.

I'm a big car user , but I have to admit , this time has made us see what the world could be like with less cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's quite a bite in the wind the last few weeks isn't there? When you're in the direct sun it's quite warm but if you're in the moving air at all it's pretty cutting. I keep getting conned by the view out the window into not wearing leg and arm warmers and then instantly regretting it once I'm gone out and around the corner. - Legs, arms and gilet tomorrow. No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

fat bloke wrote: »
    There's quite a bite in the wind the last few weeks isn't there? When you're in the direct sun it's quite warm but if you're in the moving air at all it's pretty cutting. I keep getting conned by the view out the window into not wearing leg and arm warmers and then instantly regretting it once I'm gone out and around the corner. - Legs, arms and gilet tomorrow. No excuses.

Spot on - was on the coast, looked perfect out, but no - wind was cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Lazy all' wind up our way today as well. It'd go through you rather than around you.
    Noticed it particularly on the Duleek-Julianstown road.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

devonp wrote: »
    east wind was pretty strong on my loops today and cool in spots...sun was grand :)
    On the flip side, it's great when the wind is on your back. On my spin this evening, I managed 60km/h on the N4 :D

https://strava.app.link/4CmGbBOtf6

The wind was all but gone this evening when I headed out. Headed north as far as was allowed out of Drogheda on the R132 to popes cross and turned right to Cockle rd. right again to Ballymakenny Rd and home. Just shy of 20km.

Haven't done that loop in that direction for an absolute age and remembered why I don't do it as it's a long boring drag heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Went to go for my cycle this morning, rear wheel was flat again, having no luck with this bike.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so there's strava segment near the house i was trying to have a crack at, an extended run at washerwoman's hill, beside the met office in glasnevin, and was getting frustrated that i was not doing better than i was; even though i was pushing hard at it (well, hard for me, and i'm a little more unfit than i'd like).
    it ends at a set of lights, and i only realised last night that whatever twonk created it created the end point about 10m *past* the lights, not the sensible option of ending it before the lights. so i was deliberately emptying the tank to get to the lights, and stopping for a breather, and then wondering why i was not doing well.
    it's *this* sort of thing that you should be able to report a segment for in strava.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

it's *this* sort of thing that you should be able to report a segment for in strava.
    Does "Vehicular traffic, stop signs, stop lights or busy intersections" not cover that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

so there's strava segment near the house i was trying to have a crack at, an extended run at washerwoman's hill, beside the met office in glasnevin, and was getting frustrated that i was not doing better than i was; even though i was pushing hard at it (well, hard for me, and i'm a little more unfit than i'd like).
    it ends at a set of lights, and i only realised last night that whatever twonk created it created the end point about 10m *past* the lights, not the sensible option of ending it before the lights. so i was deliberately emptying the tank to get to the lights, and stopping for a breather, and then wondering why i was not doing well.

Can you create a new segment, same start point and sensible end point before the lights?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ah yeah, i can do that. just laughing at having missed something so obvious...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭blackwhite

On commute home last night, saw Mr. Orange Bike Repair van parked blocking the cycle lane across the road from Clonskeagh mosque. Looked like he'd gone into someone's home for a repair. But he had the hazards on so all good :rolleyes:

You'd have thought someone in that line of business might know better

also an odd move, naming your business after a movie character whose most memorable act is getting shot in the stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

ah yeah, i can do that. just laughing at having missed something so obvious...

I did something similar the other day. Saw a segment that now falls inside my 5km, so decided to make an effort. I thought it was a drag to a roundabout and back so I paced myself accordingly only to see when I checked my progress on Strava that it's only as far as the roundabout. Doh!
    Tried it again today but the wind was too strong in my face - and I didn't really have the legs anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

went for a lunchtime spin, intervals up to and on N11 and a little hill climb up Fosters Ave to Goatstown and back home through clonskeagh.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

A couple of circuits of the Phoenix Park this morning, the first pushing fairly hard and the second just enjoying myself. Stopped a few times to take photos without worrying about average speed and even met up and chatted (at a distance) with a cyclist I had met on last year's Paris2Nice.

Lots more cyclists out than on Monday (incl one Boardsie) and I only encountered a few cars when crossing the main road. If it's within your 5k circle, it's the place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Traffic levels on the increase on my commute, still not bad, but some roads i'm starting to see a pick up in the numbers..
    And of course some think they are on the German Autobahn...

When the ease of restrictions coming along on the 18th roads will have a lot more motor congestion with speeding vans and trucks, not to mention families packed back into the SUV's...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Went for a solo spin this morning and then out for a spin with the kids. After 3km we stopped for a drink and my rear tyre just popped and went flat. Changed the tube and that went flat straight away. Walked home while the kids went on ahead.
    Looked closer at the tyre after getting home and found nothing. Fixed the tube and refitted it. Pressure held up to about 80 psi and then suddenly went flat. Took it all apart again and found a hole in the rim tape so the tube must have been pushing through and puncturing on the spoke nipple.
    Covered the hole with some thin plastic and taped it into place. New tube and all good now.
    So much for showing the kids how to fix a flat!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I didn't get a cycle in today but the amount of people I saw cycling while walking the dog was really great to see.
    Shame that it will probably only be this year that we see so many cycling.

anyone else notice that strava doesn't seem to distinguish elapsed time and moving time now?
    i'm just back and my elapsed time (which is the field displayed on the strava website) and moving time (which is the field shown in the app) are identical, and match what my garmin says is total elapsed time.
    have they abandoned the moving time calculation?

though now i'm beginning to think i always incorrectly assumed that strava recalculated based on the garmin data, and superimposed their auto-pause over it - but actually don't...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It is strange. On my spin this evening, my Garmin has the following:
    Total Time: 1:43:16
    Moving Time: 1:42:39
    Elapsed Time: 1:52:48

whereas Strava just has:
    Moving Time: 1:44:13
    Elapsed Time: 1:52:47

https://strava.app.link/aCRmUKdmk6

Strava is from GPS data I would think.

When you come to a complete stop it takes gps much longer to realise and may even not realise at all if there are large structures near by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did an hour in Phoenix Park, 3rd time this week. Judging by the flybys of others though, the 5k limit seems to be a suggestion rather than a rule.

retalivity wrote: »
    Did an hour in Phoenix Park, 3rd time this week. Judging by the flybys of others though, the 5k limit seems to be a suggestion rather than a rule.

Yes, from last Monday onward(they didn't even wait for the 5km limit on Tuesday) my strava is full of people going wherever they want.

It is strange. On my spin this evening, my Garmin has the following
    i realised that auto-pause was disabled on my garmin - i don't know if i'd ever turned it on, but strava seem to claim that this should be immaterial, that they recalculate regardless of whether it's recorded on a third party device or not:
    When uploading rides Strava will use the recorded GPS data to calculate our own version of your moving time. During the upload process, whether you recorded with our mobile app or a third-party device, Strava relies on a speed threshold to determine whether or not you are resting. Your device or platform may be using a different method than Strava when calculating your stats. For example, consider the process of determining how much resting vs moving time is in an activity. What constitutes a rest? Is it when you're at rest for 1, 3, 10, or 20 seconds? And what does your speed have to fall below in order for you to be considered at rest? 1 second might capture too many false positives and 20 seconds may be too strict. One calculation isn't necessarily correct or incorrect, but we do feel we're using standards that most athletes would agree upon.
    https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001188684-Moving-Time-Speed-and-Pace-Calculations

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah people I know are going at least 15 km out and back or so.

Now, I don't know why, because there are far more interesting routes and loops within their 5 km if they went the other way, but they don't.

Also Garmin/Strava Elapsed/Moving is fine for me.

Did 30 km today, all well within my 5 km limit. Would've gone on for another 20 km, but I passed by Fish monger as I got nearer the house and that needed to be brought home

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm not sure what it is because the same people were sticking to the 2km rule and as you said the 5km one opens up some decent loops for most people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement