Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

Blessed to have a fine hill that goes up to 187 metres within 5 km of my house. The hill starts within a few hundred metres of my house. Did 40ks worth of reps last night and can feel the rustiness leaving me and myself getting fit again. It helped that the wind was coming from a different direction last night than the usual SW so I had it with me on the hills. Absolutely beautiful evening for it - cooler but very sunny. Bring on Monday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

smacl wrote: »
    Yep stuck to the 2k limit and sticking to the 5k limit. Out every morning early for 20k-30k up the local hills. Also notice morning traffic is getting heavier and see a number of people I know going way outside their zone on Strava.

I see a couple of lads from cork did a 200km spin yesterday imho that's really acting the bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm in the midst of a 25 push ups in 25 days but its getting easier, then after that I'm off on the bike for my morning 22km loop around the countryside.

All within the 5km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Mc Love wrote: »
    I'm in the midst of a 25 push ups in 25 days but its getting easier, then after that I'm off on the bike for my morning 22km loop around the countryside.

All within the 5km

That’s only 1 push up a day! Even I could do that!😋

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That’s only 1 push up a day! Even I could do that!😋
    I may be mistaken but I think Mc Love has no arms and legs so one pushup won't be an easy task, never mind 25!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

mamax wrote: »
    I see a couple of lads from cork did a 200km spin yesterday imho that's really acting the bollocks

And one of them was extremely proud that he sailed through a Garda checkpoint while doing it. Same lad had been very loud in his giving out about people straying outside the 2km and 5km radius. Has unfriended quite a few people on Facebook who said it to him that publicly posting that spin on strava was taking the absolute mick. Always just wants praise and can't handle articulate discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

And one of them was extremely proud that he sailed through a Garda checkpoint while doing it. Same lad had been very loud in his giving out about people straying outside the 2km and 5km radius. Has unfriended quite a few people on Facebook who said it to him that publicly posting that spin on strava was taking the absolute mick. Always just wants praise and can't handle articulate discussion.

Is that the same guy that posted on the cycling Ireland zwift page. I saw someone calling him out and he took it to heart right away with something along the lines of "you wouldn't say it to my face" :rolleyes: I wonder if he noticed it was a military man he was threatening :D

He's probably a member on here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,643 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Extremely vocal lad across social media & even wrote a blog post on his spin. I did pass a comment on his Twitter feed but as i have gone outside my 5km 2-3 times i wasn't the right person to call him out.

I notice that lots of the people who were very quick to admonish people for breaking rules at the start of the lockdown are some of the worst offenders now. But I won't be hypocritical either as I strayed outside my 5k twice on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Is that the same guy that posted on the cycling Ireland zwift page. I saw someone calling him out and he took it to heart right away with something along the lines of "you wouldn't say it to my face" :rolleyes: I wonder if he noticed it was a military man he was threatening :D

He's probably a member on here :p

I'd imagine that he is. People rightly called him out on it. There is straying outside the radius but what they did was totally against the spirit of the idea around the radius. Then mouthed that he has been regularly training outside it for the past few weeks.

He just can't take any form of negative comment or criticism at all regarding the spin. Takes it totally to heart and can't see where people are coming from at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

I'd say I have about 30 active cyclists on my strava and about 2 of them are sticking to the 5km.
    Most are cycling at least 70km from home and receiving positive commends on strava, I don't use other social media platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd say I have about 30 active cyclists on my strava and about 2 of them are sticking to the 5km.
    Most are cycling at least 70km from home and receiving positive commends on strava, I don't use other social media platforms.

Senior members of my club flaunting it, some very early into the lockdown during the 2km. If it wasnt gonna be a headwreck Id be writing an open letter to the exec to ask them all to step down.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,847 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I did see a group of ~10 cyclists last weekend , Im not a Karen about these things but its hard to miss

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭JMcL

29km at a reasonably leisurely pace today - there was a stiffish breeze from the north and after a relatively tough session of hilly intervals on Tuesday and lots of core and squats yesterday, I fancied the fresh air more than fighting it.

Out of curiosity, are most people here still sticking to the 5km boundary limit?
    (I'm not looking for an excuse - maybe just confirmation that I'm not the only one)

Yep. I'm well bored of my routes for the most part at this stage - I'm on the coast so only have a semi-circle of 5km.

I didn't go out at all during the 2km restrictions - I parked the bike on the turbo on the patio and alternated between sessions on the bike and core/strength work on the days in between.

There's good and bad in the local roads. The (subjective) good is that they're rolling so give a damn fine workout, the bad is the horrible surface in many parts - it just sucks the life out of forward momentum. Still, looking forward to expanded horizons next week.

The guards are still mounting checkpoints and have been all along, I had to go into town this morning (first proper time in the car in about 2 months) and they were stopping on the way back. They look like they're talking to cyclists as well as they spoke to a couple of kids on bikes, but didn't stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭secman

I was using a 3km loop on the 2km limit
    Used a 7 km loop on the 5km limit.
    But i did "stray" last weekend just out of pure boredom with the loops. All rural routes and I haven't seen a checkpoint since Thursday 30th April on N11 south bound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

Gas the amount of people aware of that muppets 200km spin and regular blog musings. They're both some ambassadors for "Team IRL" on Zwift with that spin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭secman

Test... as thread won't open !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Plastik wrote: »
    Gas the amount of people aware of that muppets 200km spin and regular blog musings. They're both some ambassadors for "Team IRL" on Zwift with that spin yesterday.

I think that lad is a bit basic to put it mildly. His 'blog' reads like an Ann and Barry book.

I've stayed within the 5km radius for its duration and have managed to put together some interesting enough loops. The 20km radius gets me to Blessington and the foothills of the Dublin/Wicklow mountains - actually, it gets me up Stocking lane and onto the Viewing Point, but that's as the crow flies; it takes a winding 30km route just to get there!

Hopefully, we get the all clear on Friday evening for Phase 2 to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

20Km includes the Dublin side of Blessington and Kilmac for me, could do a 200 with that. If my legs were anywhere near 200 capable after this very static year.

Monday looks like a good day and I've the day off work.
    giphy.gif

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not for the first time, i had a motorcyclist pop a wheelie while heading towards me on the new road to the boot in at the airport today.
    i spotted after he passed me that he'd missed a stone the size of a grapefruit on the road by certainly less than a metre while pulling the wheelie. that would have been fun.

• Advertisement

I’m off work next week and the 20km gets me just about into Laragh and up to Sally Gap! Can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Today I broke out completely but had an excuse, had car problems so I commuted to work by bike.
    Tailwind in the morning was glorious, I clipped along well above 35kph most of the way from Summerhill to Dunboyne. A couple of stupid close passes around Dunboyne and Clonee. One passat gimp was a real genius, trying to shoot past me coming to the roundabout as I signalled and moved to the right. He overtook me and then went left..... Utter knuckle dragger stuff.
    Anyway, needless to say, the return journey after a day on site and into that headwind was a shade slower. Surprisingly, no close passes at all on the way home.

Morning, 41km @33kph
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3561481494

Evening, 43km @28.8kph
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3564001952

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Daroxtar wrote: »
    One passat gimp was a real genius
    it's always* lads in ten or fifteen year old passats, isn't it?

*well, very common.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

*well, very common.

Bang on the money - 07 CE....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Scobewagon passat

Now in white for that extra touch of class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

*well, very common.

or it's always the third car (the moron following the first two cars through a gap, which has now actually closed)

i had a chap shout something out the window at me from a 07 octavia earlier, i have to assume he was annoyed that i was out in primary position to avoid some rough road surface while doing nearly 40km/h. he passed me with about two foot to spare.

It’s looking like we can move freely within our own county from Monday so that opens up the whole of Wicklow for me!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

To be honest, I can see myself finally breaking the rule. I'll await forther clarification before making any decision.
    It just seems daft that I can travel the length and breadth of Kildare (from Leixlip) but can't venture into Dublin or Meath which are around 1km away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Can't even get to Glencree or Enniskerry with the new county limit - bring back the 20km circle!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement