Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Model S vs new Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

My PCP is up in November, can't decide what to do, m3 too expensive for my mileage and so is any car for 50K.

I feel like I'm your EV stalker. Leaf, to an i3 REx, now considering a Kia or a Tesla.

Option 1 - Kia e-Niro. I could sell the i3 for a decent price, put €10k down on the e-Niro, keep a nice chunk of cash, pay €450 a month for 3 years and be left with a €15k final value on PCP. Plus I'd have the e-Niro within a few months. But whatever way you slice it, that's buying a brand new car and absorbing the depreciation that goes with it.

Option 2 - Tesla Model 3. New isn't really an option. Guts of €50k, and their finance options are not cheap. Maybe second hand from the UK? There's one at the minute, 6 months old with 1800 miles so wouldn't be hard to run up enough miles to avoid VAT. Could be here for about €43k plus VRT and the cost of financing it. No idea how bad they'd hit a Model 3 for VRT?

Option 3 - Tesla Model S. This would probably be my favourite option. I drove an S in Norway for a week a few years ago, a P90D. It was absolutely fantastic. I'd love the car, plus there are some decent options on the CPO UK site. Spotted a low mileage 85D a few weeks ago at £38,500 which would be around €43k before VRT. That's with 4 years/50k miles warranty. My only other worry is the same one many others have had, could my wife drive it... She likes the size of the i3 but I'd be bricking it if I thought she was going into a multi storey...

Option 4 - keep the i3. Its a fine car, serves my needs well due to the REx and is running well. However its out of warranty and that makes me twitch. At my last service they found a problem with the on board charger. Was fixed under warranty but I dread to think what that would have cost otherwise.

My head is saying option 4, but that's because my head also tends to believe that in a year's time there will be much more options. Problem is that my head has been believing that for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I feel like I'm your EV stalker. Leaf, to an i3 REx, now considering a Kia or a Tesla.

Option 1 - Kia e-Niro. I could sell the i3 for a decent price, put €10k down on the e-Niro, keep a nice chunk of cash, pay €450 a month for 3 years and be left with a €15k final value on PCP. Plus I'd have the e-Niro within a few months. But whatever way you slice it, that's buying a brand new car and absorbing the depreciation that goes with it.

Option 2 - Tesla Model 3. New isn't really an option. Guts of €50k, and their finance options are not cheap. Maybe second hand from the UK? There's one at the minute, 6 months old with 1800 miles so wouldn't be hard to run up enough miles to avoid VAT. Could be here for about €43k plus VRT and the cost of financing it. No idea how bad they'd hit a Model 3 for VRT?

Option 3 - Tesla Model S. This would probably be my favourite option. I drove an S in Norway for a week a few years ago, a P90D. It was absolutely fantastic. I'd love the car, plus there are some decent options on the CPO UK site. Spotted a low mileage 85D a few weeks ago at £38,500 which would be around €43k before VRT. That's with 4 years/50k miles warranty. My only other worry is the same one many others have had, could my wife drive it... She likes the size of the i3 but I'd be bricking it if I thought she was going into a multi storey...

Option 4 - keep the i3. Its a fine car, serves my needs well due to the REx and is running well. However its out of warranty and that makes me twitch. At my last service they found a problem with the on board charger. Was fixed under warranty but I dread to think what that would have cost otherwise.

My head is saying option 4, but that's because my head also tends to believe that in a year's time there will be much more options. Problem isy head has been believing that for years now.
    Option 5 :D... buy my S. Probably cheaper than the UK S+VRT, for sure cheaper than the UK 3 + vrt.

I'd even take your rex in p/ex if it's free of finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

My head is saying option 4, but that's because my head also tends to believe that in a year's time there will be much more options. Problem isy head has been believing that for years now.

Personally, it'd be Option 2. Based on the amt of warranty work I've had, would be v nervous having an S that's out of warranty...

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

That option 2 of a second hand 3 doesn't seem like great value. 43500 + transfer costs of maybe 500. Then vrt. Not sure what that'd be but the difference between it and a brand new one might know be a couple of grand?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ELM327 wrote: »
    Option 5 :D... buy my S. Probably cheaper than the UK S+VRT, for sure cheaper than the UK 3 + vrt.

Did you advertise yours yet ELM?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Gumbo wrote: »
    Did you advertise yours yet ELM?

Yeah, get on with it so I can finally crush any hope of owning it. :D

Why would u not buy a car with outstanding finance if you can settle this direct with the finance company ?

I think buying expensive to fix cars out or close to being out of warranty is very risky especially with my increasing mileage.

The Kia 45 is supposed to be out next year, 200 kw charging 800 volts but do any of the IONITY chargers support 800 volts yet ?

That option 2 of a second hand 3 doesn't seem like great value. 43500 + transfer costs of maybe 500. Then vrt. Not sure what that'd be but the difference between it and a brand new one might know be a couple of grand?

Yeah hence why I don't think a Model 3 is a runner. Not for another year anyway.

Hurry up and list it then!
    BobbyBingo wrote: »
    Personally, it'd be Option 2. Based on the amt of warranty work I've had, would be v nervous having an S that's out of warranty...
    I wouldn't be buying an out of warranty S, it would likely be a CPO UK Model S with 3-4 years warranty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I test drove one about 3 years ago. It was amazing I have to say.

Head is confused to be honest.

If buying used, I'm willing to spend up to low 40s.

If buying new, it's an SR+, basic spec.

Id nearly line up a Model S test drive the same day as my 3?

Obviously the test car is a much newer car than any S I'd be going for.

Your used budget will get you a fully loaded MS 2015 prefacelift base 85 UK import with plenty of cash left over

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

The 2019 Raven S that I had as a loaner was night and day compared to my 16 MS90D. Even though they looked the same from the outside.

All the materials feel different. The car drives differently, due to the FWD bias as opposed to RWD bias in D motor non raven models. You've got more power but the car felt slower than mine when flooring it.

Are the Raven not permanent magnet motors too so completely different in that respect

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I checked the VRT on a 2019 Model 3 SR+ last week with 8k miles, because of the the 5k rebate, the VRT was only €1080 i think, more of these will be imported when they drop in value a bit, but you can buy them for £35-£38k sterling at the moment, cracking value & probably 3.5 years of warranty left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

jordan191 wrote: »
    I checked the VRT on a 2019 Model 3 SR+ last week with 8k miles, because of the the 5k rebate, the VRT was only €1080 i think, more of these will be imported when they drop in value a bit, but you can buy them for £35-£38k sterling at the moment, cracking value & probably 3.5 years of warranty left

How did you check the VRT...?

the Model 3 SR is currently on the revenue VRT calculator page

Just got the details form an advert on autotrader.co.uk for the exact details of the car

VRT Calculator
    Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) calculation for vehicle.
    Edit Details
    Your VRT Calculation
    Date09/06/2020
    Time16:02
    Rate of VRT
    14%
    Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,040
    Vehicle Details
    Statistical Code
    Model
    MODEL 3
    Make
    TESLA
    Version
    STANDARD RANGE + 239KW 4DR AUT
    Breakdown of VRT Calculation
    Open Market Selling Price (OMSP) determined by Revenue
    €56860
    Monthly Adjustment
    N/A
    Depreciation Code Allocated by Revenue
    E1
    Odometer Reading
    8000 Miles
    Date of First Registration
    November 2019
    Mileage/Kilometre Reduction
    €70
    Rate of Depreciation for this Vehicle
    24%
    Current OMSP determined by Revenue
    €43143
    Revenue CO2 Estimate
    CO2 Emissions
    Rate of VRT
    14%
    CO2 VRT Charges
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,040
    Revenue NOx Estimate
    NOx Emissions
    NOx Units
    g/km or g/kWh
    NOx VRT Charge
    (payable on enquiry)
    €0
    Registration Tax Total
    CO2 VRT Charges
    €1,040
    NOx VRT Charge
    €0

Vehicle Registration Tax
    (payable on enquiry)
    €1,040

Just filled it out - Indeed VRT of €1,049 for a 2019 SR+ with 6000 kms

€1k is pretty good.

SR+ for £37k = €41700 (Revolut)

Travel - €300 ish

VRT - €1k

==============

Total - €43k

By comparison - This Model S 75 CPO 4 years warranty @ £37.5k would have VRT of about €3000?

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/used/5YJSB7E13GF163606?token=$2y$10$.3DN60ZeBDBn3jMwp/xVkeTPhTO4KJj5gkCh8NlGz6oi.2RxED6k2&redirect=no

That gives you Autopilot but not the full self driving ?

What's their standard autopilot like on the m3 ?

That gives you Autopilot but not the full self driving ?

What's their standard autopilot like on the m3 ?

Autopilot is good by all accounts on Motorways and main roads.

Full Self Driving is not really there yet..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldSrrKBq3R8

Nedved85 wrote: »
    €1k is pretty good.
    SR+ for £37k = €41700 (Revolut)
    Travel - €300 ish
    VRT - €1k

You're not making this easy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

jordan191 wrote: »
    more of these will be imported when they drop in value a bit

Not going to happen. Remember that from Jan 1st you will have to pay import duty and VAT of 23% over the purchase price + transport cost + insurance cost + import duty. And then there will be the VRT to be paid too.

Realistically if you want to bring one in from the UK, you will have to do so within the next 6 months. Same applies to any Tesla, or any car for that matter. The days of importing cars from the UK are numbered.

Anyone have a quick breakdown of the real life range on the Teslas?

From Model 3 SR, and the various versions of the S?

I'd be wanting a real life range of about 400km even with my lead foot.

With your heavy foot you won't get a 400km real life motorway range out of any EV, unless you fork out for a brand new long range Tesla Model S. From about €90k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Model 3 SR+ has a "rated" range of just under 400km. My S "rated" range is ~420km.

Realistically you will not get 400km from either of them (unless it's all N roads at 80).

Motorway driving in the summer I'd get 325km from my S down to ~10% SOC. Winter this could be as low as 275km.

You'd want the long range 3 or S to get near 400km in the real non rated world IMO

3-km-912.png

s-km-912.png

x-km-912.png

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gforcemurphy

unkel wrote: »
    Not going to happen. Remember that from Jan 1st you will have to pay import duty and VAT of 23% over the purchase price + transport cost + insurance cost + import duty. And then there will be the VRT to be paid too.

Realistically if you want to bring one in from the UK, you will have to do so within the next 6 months. Same applies to any Tesla, or any car for that matter. The days of importing cars from the UK are numbered.

Just on that, and remembering that you said you had a stressful month or so between pressing ‘buy’ and going over to collect, to be on the safe side you’d need to find something by sometime in November, most likely? Not site how all these import charges etc will be assessed - presumably time of import rather than time of purchase? Or does the purchase date with Tesla UK more or less mirror the import date anyway, if going to collect?

Alright 350km then, lol.

Edit I mean in normal weather and mixed urban/rural.

Obviously pelting rain or horsing down the motorway all bets are off and 300km would be doing well.

Just on that, and remembering that you said you had a stressful month or so between pressing ‘buy’ and going over to collect, to be on the safe side you’d need to find something by sometime in November, most likely? Not site how all these import charges etc will be assessed - presumably time of import rather than time of purchase? Or does the purchase date with Tesla UK more or less mirror the import date anyway, if going to collect?

I don't really know, but I would presume the import date is the actual date you physically brought the car into the country.
    Alright 350km then, lol.

Edit I mean in normal weather and mixed urban/rural.

Obviously pelting rain or horsing down the motorway all bets are off and 300km would be doing well.

In a Tesla, you'd need a Model S 85 or 90 minimum or a Model 3 long range (75). I don't think you're considering a Model X, so left them out.

unkel wrote: »
    In a Tesla, you'd need a Model S 85 or 90 minimum or a Model 3 long range (75). I don't think you're considering a Model X, so left them out.

No an X isn't an option. Even I'd find that too big to drive.

I'd been thinking I'd need an 85 in the Model S alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The only reason Unkel’s month was stressful was because he was biting his nails if Tesla would cop on to their pricing mistake :)

Otherwise it would be an exciting month waiting to collect your Tesla in my
    Opinion.

Advertisement