Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Used Model S vs new Model 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Wow - Unions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Really they are two different cars for two different buyers.

If you want a "drivers car" get a M3P.
    If you want a comfy car get a model S
    If you are worried about things breaking get a new model 3. Tech is newer and its more simple.
    If you think you will do a lot of supercharging get a model 3 fast to charge in some situations.
    If you are in the 40k bracket its going to be a boggo model 3 or a older model S so decide your want for a new car, warranty length etc.
    The model S is better looking but neither are stunners.

Both excellent cars. But comparing a performance model s raven new to a model 3 is not apples to apples pricewise.

You can get a F82 BMW m4 for less than 40k too if that floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Agree with all the above.
    Except if I were looking for a drivers car I would be in an m5 or something, not a tesla at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,103 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree with all the above.
    Except if I were looking for a drivers car I would be in an m5 or something, not a tesla at all.

M5 is not quite as fast as a Tesla Performance. And it's a big heavy beast too. Wouldn't exactly call it the epitome of a drivers car. If you want a pure drivers car, get a mid rear engined RWD sports car like a Porsche Boxster or Cayman.

unkel wrote: »
    M5 is not quite as fast as a Tesla Performance. And it's a big heavy beast too. Wouldn't exactly call it the epitome of a drivers car. If you want a pure drivers car, get a mid rear engined RWD sports car like a Porsche Boxster or Cayman.
    Sorry, I don't own a hair salon :D

Drivers car is more about performance, handling, speed and acceleration.
    Not 0-60 times.

As a wannabe redneck I have an unhealthy obsession with dragstrip times so for me I'd prefer a dodge hellcat demon over a porsche or ferrari.

In terms of pure acceleration, few cars beat the new S LP. But there'd be few that would argue it's a track car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

I had a loaner 161 model S 70, for a day last week while my M3P was getting the boot spoiler fixed as it had come loose.

I was so glad to get my own car back, it felt like the car was huge, feels overly big inside and feels like your steering a ship compared to the M3. I also don't like the look of the front of the older Model S, I would definitely want to get the newer version for sure as it has improved a lot there I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

digiman wrote: »
    I had a loaner 161 model S 70, for a day last week while my M3P was getting the boot spoiler fixed as it had come loose.

I was so glad to get my own car back, it felt like the car was huge, feels overly big inside and feels like your steering a ship compared to the M3. I also don't like the look of the front of the older Model S, I would definitely want to get the newer version for sure as it has improved a lot there I think.

If someone really does not like the nose of the older model it's a simple cut and paste job to take out the old and (if you can get your hands on it) put in the new as the overall shape and attachments to body are identical.
    There's a few places in the US that do it already....https://unpluggedperformance.com/product/unplugged-performance-refresh-front-fascia-system/

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

If that cost EUR500, I'd have it done. But at EUR5000, no thanks :D

You'd be better off selling your car and getting a facelift model I'd say. Agree though with you there digiman, the facelift model does look a lot fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

for me its the M3p all day long, i've a model 3 performance stealth. don't get me wrong I've driven bmw m3's & other performance cars over the years and currently own a few older RWD german cars but on a back road the M5 won't keep up with a model 3 performance ( my mate has one:D:D)

I've never driven a model S myself but its a much bigger car size wise more of a seven series type, but the tech in a newer m3 is current, charges fast & a new warranty offers piece of mind.

I spotted an SR last week in the uk for £37K, landed in dublin for €42,000 i think that's cracking value for some one that doesn't need the longer range.

jordan191 wrote: »
    for me its the M3p all day long, i've a model 3 performance stealth. don't get me wrong I've driven bmw m3's & other performance cars over the years and currently own a few older RWD german cars but on a back road the M5 won't keep up with a model 3 performance ( my mate has one:D:D)

I've never driven a model S myself but its a much bigger car size wise more of a seven series type, but the tech in a newer m3 is current, charges fast & a new warranty offers piece of mind.

I spotted an SR last week in teh uk for £37K, landed in dublin for €42,000 i think thats cracking value for some one that doesn't need the longer range.

They've been as low as £35.5k

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    They've been as low as £35.5k

And directly from Tesla UK..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Haven’t spent a few days with the M3P it blew me away in terms of performance and acceleration. The S is still nice in a bigger car kind of way but the poke in the 3, I actually couldn’t believe it.

MarkN wrote: »
    Haven’t spent a few days with the M3P it blew me away in terms of performance and acceleration. The S is still nice in a bigger car kind of way but the poke in the 3, I actually couldn’t believe it.
    Comparing Performance 3 to Performance S in terms of poke, the S is 1s faster to 60

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

MarkN wrote: »

When’s the video out?

It's ridiculous. They are GBP41k brand new. With metallic paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

ELM327 wrote: »
    Comparing Performance 3 to Performance S in terms of poke, the S is 1s faster to 60

The 3 does feel faster, less inertia to overcome and the change in direction is awesome, the S masks the speed more. Also there is no modes on the 3, its full performance all the time any time. No warm up or cool down.

Maybe it has FSD?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

digiman wrote: »
    When’s the video out?

Before the end of the week.

Good comparison video of a Used Model S v A Model 3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHLL6Vr4LJ4&

• Advertisement

Nedved85 wrote: »

Ad updated, it has Full Self-Driving

Still pretty poor value, but that would explain it alright. You in the market for a Model 3? :)

Still pretty poor value, but that would explain it alright. You in the market for a Model 3? :)
    For sure 😊 I think I'm going to go for a Model 3. The s is lovely in fairness, but I've wanted a 3 for a while. Test drive just lined up now too. Buy in Ireland new or be patient and buy used from UK...

Have you test driven the S yet?
    I had a lot of "it's too big" comments but after a few weeks use it has not been an issue in the slightest and I really appreciate the extra internal space as it our main family car now...

I test drove one about 3 years ago. It was amazing I have to say.

Head is confused to be honest.

If buying used, I'm willing to spend up to low 40s.

If buying new, it's an SR+, basic spec.

Id nearly line up a Model S test drive the same day as my 3?

Obviously the test car is a much newer car than any S I'd be going for.

The model S is the ultimate driving saloon. And very practical too. I've already lifted in big electric scooters and full size bikes (without taking any bits off) and the other day I had 7 full size solar panels in and it would have taken about 12-13. My Ioniq took 9 which was no small feat, but I had to move the drivers seat so far forward that my legs were rammed into the dash

If you don't need all that space and practicality, the Model 3 has a lot to offer in terms of value, new tech and warranty. The P model particularly is good value for money and can compete as a drivers car (and beat) other cars costing several times as much

Also when you do your sums calculating total cost of ownership - if you don't have to do this, power to you! Unfortunately my finances are very limited and I have to be careful - you will find that the higher purchase price (compared to other cars, possible ICE cars) can significantly be offset by low depreciation and near zero maintenance and fuel costs...

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I test drove one about 3 years ago. It was amazing I have to say.

Head is confused to be honest.

If buying used, I'm willing to spend up to low 40s.

If buying new, it's an SR+, basic spec.

Id nearly line up a Model S test drive the same day as my 3?

Obviously the test car is a much newer car than any S I'd be going for.
    The 2019 Raven S that I had as a loaner was night and day compared to my 16 MS90D. Even though they looked the same from the outside.

All the materials feel different. The car drives differently, due to the FWD bias as opposed to RWD bias in D motor non raven models. You've got more power but the car felt slower than mine when flooring it.

I did a long write up here of the difference a while back. If you're considering a low 40k model S you're looking at a 15-16 model, and testing a new S raven as your decision basis is as related as testing an Ipace! :D

Also when you do your sums calculating total cost of ownership - if you don't have to do this, power to you! Unfortunately my finances are very limited and I have to be careful - you will find that the higher purchase price (compared to other cars, possible ICE cars) can significantly be offset by low depreciation and near zero maintenance and fuel costs...

Fully understand this.

I sold my last EV a small bit below what i bought it for in the UK, but i have free charging at work which saved a lot. The car absolutely saved me money over the time I had it.

I can also confirm that a facelift 90D on steel springs drives very, very differently to a RWD pre-facelift P85 with air suspension. Like different cars altogether. Although on paper and in a sprint they probably have very similar 0-60 performance

• Advertisement

I can also confirm that a facelift 90D on steel springs drives very, very differently to a RWD pre-facelift P85 with air suspension. Like different cars altogether. Although on paper and in a sprint they probably have very similar 0-60 performance
    The air suspension is very nice, the raven S loaner I had had it and my S does not.
    But to be honest it's not a deal breaker and if I were buying a used S (especially without CPO warranty) I'd prefer non air as there's less to go wrong.

Advertisement