Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Lads.. Need a few malty ales to try please

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Need a few malty ales to try please
    Pretty much anything by White Gypsy. They're the agents for Weyermann malt in Ireland so the beers are generally malt showcases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Lads.. Need a few malty ales to try please

Ballykilcavan's Bambricks Brown Ale is a nice, malty one I've had recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

irish_goat wrote: »
    Wasn't the unpasteurised version by any chance?

It was a mix actually, both normal and unpasteurised.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It was a mix actually, both normal and unpasteurised.

I've mixed up Lomza bottles before and the jump in flavour is staggering, even for those who are used to drinking a wide range of craft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I had Trouble Brewing's Speakerbox DIPA. Enjoyable beer with dinner.

Thanks to those who contributed to the Gateway IPA thread I posted in this forum a couple of weeks ago. I'm now really enjoying (D)IPAs and it's opened a whole new element of craft beer to me.

I never came round to them at all but I must try more. Last one I tried was a Larkins one but I realised after I wasn’t that partial to any of theirs once I’d tried others. Was High Viz a DIPA?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

High Viz was the big double IPA from Black's Of Kinsale. I remember there being fierce excitement about it in the build up to the Altech festival one year!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

High Viz was the big double IPA from Black's Of Kinsale. I remember there being fierce excitement about it in the build up to the Altech festival one year!

I remember it well.

I loved High Viz.

• Advertisement

Jesus Big Bunny is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭hernie

Jesus Big Bunny is nice.

It's very nice, having one now. If you like big bunny, try Ambush by trouble brewing. I like all these juicy hazy IPAs

hernie wrote: »
    It's very nice, having one now. If you like big bunny, try Ambush by trouble brewing. I like all these juicy hazy IPAs

I love ambush too, hard to get at times but up a few yesterday. Those styles and the brown ales are two I’d always go for now and I never thought I’d say that (stout). Glen of Imaal is nice too but not quite the flavour as those two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,008 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I bought a case of different Galway Bay beers. Been slowly making my way through them. The Althea American Pale Ale is delish.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,498 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Glen of Imaal wasn't as nice as I was expecting, which was entirely based on GBB Goodbye Blue Monday.

There are recent untappd's for it; but one mentions a 2019 BBE - anyone know if there is going to be a run this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I found a box of Westvleteran XII

I was about to crack open a bottle, when I noticed a listing on eBay..

I'm between two minds now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

mikeecho wrote: »

I had my last bottle of the same brick at Christmas past and its definitely turned for the worse. Big whack of sherry off it. If you can get anywhere near that price for it I'd sell it 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

mikeecho wrote: »

Funnily enough I have some bottles left from a crate I got on a trip to belgium about 5 years ago and am having one now. My bottles are not as nice as they were but are still tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭mikeecho

matrim wrote: »
    Funnily enough I have some bottles left from a crate I got on a trip to belgium about 5 years ago and am having one now. My bottles are not as nice as they were but are still tasty

Temptation got the better of me.

I've just opened a bottle of it
    Best before 2014 apparently

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think I've 2 bottles left in mine. Tried to buy another box recently but the website had closed their online checkout system. >_<

• Advertisement

I have one of those boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Two new beers from Aldi I hadn't seen before. The Einseidler Hell and O'Sheas 'Trick of the Light' session IPA. The hell is a classic of that style if not a little lighter than say Augustinier or Paulamer Helles. Lovely, bready and golden honey.

The O'Sheas (O'Haras) is lovely and light also. Changed their branding, not sure if they changed the recipes, but I've never seen a session IPA from them before. Nicely balanced and a little more bitter than I expected for 3.8% but it works perfectly.

Two nice examples of the style on the label and for €2 each that's a welcome relief these days...

Got the newly branded O'Haras stout up next. I hope the recipe has changed a little, Lidls crafty stout is much better.

This year's, Kinnegar Merrytiller, if you can get it, is a triumph and Dot Brews Forage and Rescue sour really made me happy. Two many thin watery kettle sours about these days but Dot Brew nailed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Currently in the sick of IPA's phase so decided to do an order from that beers of Europe site. Belgian and German stuff

Had a very Whiplash weekend - have their Micro IPA (good), Strata IPA (better) and Setting Sun DIPA (best of the lot).

Just threw in another Craft Central.ie order which should be my last for sometime. I think I've exhausted their 4 for €10/€12 range (for what I want) so I may revert to Bradley's for future beer runs. It would appear that Bradley's don't really offer mix & match on their €X for Y offers, whereas Craft Central.ie do, hence the pull.

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Had a very Whiplash weekend - have their Micro IPA (good), Strata IPA (better) and Setting Sun DIPA (best of the lot).

Just threw in another Craft Central.ie order which should be my last for sometime. I think I've exhausted their 4 for €10/€12 range (for what I want) so I may revert to Bradley's for future beer runs. It would appear that Bradley's don't really offer mix & match on their €X for Y offers, whereas Craft Central.ie do, hence the pull.

Asaik, Bradley's do offer mix and match - on same value beers, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Yep; they have a wide variety of 4 for €10; 4 for €12 and 3 for €10 offers.

TIL - thanks beer veolu. I have always assumed they want to keep it within the same brand so have seldom taken advantage of their offers. Excellent news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Got the newly branded O'Haras stout up next. I hope the recipe has changed a little, Lidls crafty stout is much better.
    How was the stout?

I haven't been in Aldi during sales times since lockdown, so have missed the rebranding. I'd rate most of the O'Hara's range, but the O'Shea's has never been close. I'm a big fan of the Crafty range in lidl - great vfm, the Stout inparticular but I also rate the Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

got a 36 bottle mixed cases from these guys on Friday
    https://dungarvanbrewingcompany.com
    some excellent beers, especially the greenway

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

The amber IPA from 4 Provinces (hurler or piper, can’t remember and the can is in the bin) is really nice. Have a Laidir chilling too, always liked that.

Edit. It was the piper as I just opened a hurler (copper ale). The latter is far nicer than I remember, can almost taste a bit of a stout twang at the very end of a mouthful.

Advertisement