Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

Comerman wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm in an estate with roughly 1/2 acres of separate green areas. We have a cub cadet rzts which is giving up hope after 3 years of heavy going, our local garage is recommending a Snapper ztx275 which costs e5050. Any suggestions or recommendations please?

Half an acre or 1 - 2 acres? How often do you cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭deezell

dos29 wrote: »
    There's a noticeable difference between fastest and slowest but unfortunately it means that slowest is practically stopped. Anything below top speed completely unusable, to me at least.

Pop off the cover over the variator. See if there's a cable adjuster to pull the belt tighter. Tightening the wedge belt pulls it into the centre of the split axle pulley, spreading the pulley sides apart and reducing the effective pulley radius, speeding up the drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

Half an acre or 1 - 2 acres? How often do you cut it.

One to two, cut twice a week at the beginning of the season and once a week after that

Hi folks, I'm in an estate with roughly 1/2 acres of separate green areas. We have a cub cadet rzts which is giving up hope after 3 years of heavy going, our local garage is recommending a Snapper ztx275 which costs e5050. Any suggestions or recommendations please?
    The Snapper well up to the job, but if you only got 3 seasons out of the Cub on less than 2 acres, I'd be careful who you let drive it. Cut higher, slower, sharpen blades. Is the underlying ground rough? Easy to shake the bones of any machine. It's why contractor kit is so robust and pricey, they way they mule into jobs.

deezell wrote: »
    The Snapper well up to the job, but if you only got 3 seasons out of the Cub on less than 2 acres, I'd be careful who you let drive it. Cut higher, slower, sharpen blades. Is the underlying ground rough? Easy to shake the bones of any machine. It's why contractor kit is so robust and pricey, they way they mule into jobs.

Thanks deezell, in fairness to the cadet it took a lot of hardship it's an estate with potholes and god knows what in the greens. and another guy drove it earlier in the year and twisted the deck :-) the design has one deck wheel outside the front wheel which gets caught in everything.

• Advertisement

Thanks deezell, in fairness to the cadet it took a lot of hardship it's an estate with potholes and god knows what in the greens. and another guy drove it earlier in the year and twisted the deck :-) the design has one deck wheel outside the front wheel which gets caught in everything.
    Higher, and slower! I let a young lad up on a Castelgarden many years ago, he managed to burst the front axle pinions and shear the sprocket bolts off the rear axle differential in less than half an acre. Machine was rattlling and pulling to one side like a jalopy. Best of luck, find an oul fella to drive, lad from the men's shed maybe!

Higher, and slower! I let a young lad up on a Castelgarden many years ago, he managed to burst the front axle pinions and shear the sprocket bolts off the rear axle differential in less than half an acre. Machine was rattlling and pulling to one side like a jalopy. Best of luck, find an oul fella to drive, lad from the men's shed maybe!
    Or myself :-) cheers

One to two, cut twice a week at the beginning of the season and once a week after that

Yeah sorry thought it was mad spending 5 grand on a mower for half an acre. 2 acres. Should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

my castelgarden ride on cuts out when i engage the blade...weak battery? although it starts fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

fryup wrote: »
    my castelgarden ride on cuts out when i engage the blade...weak battery? although it starts fine

Maybe it thinks its in reverse, that you aren't sat in the seat or that rear box isn't shut properly. All possible micro switch or wiring issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mslater

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has bought this Pro Lawn Lawnmower in Woodies. It's on sale for €399. It's the self drive with 56cm cut and 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine.

Just wondering if it had a mulcher, there's very little info on their website. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

mslater wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone has bought this Pro Lawn Lawnmower in Woodies. It's on sale for €399. It's the self drive with 56cm cut and 163cc Briggs and Stratton engine.

Just wondering if it had a mulcher, there's very little info on their website. Thanks in advance

Read through the last couple of pages. On sale for €320, down from €399, yeah?

Edit: Assumed you were on about different lawnmower, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

I would have bought 1 of those from Woodies if I hadn't just picked up a 2nd hand machine 2 weeks ago.

I've been pushing an ancient thing around near 2 acres for the last few years and it was backbreaking work. Had a look on done deal and seen an immaculate self drive for less than €200. It's a World brand with 22" cut and Briggs and Stratton 675ex engine. I'm not too sure how it would compare to some of the machines the lads have here but for me it's brilliant. Ploughs through heavy grass and rushes without issue.

Sorry to derail, just a very happy lad here with his 1st decent lawnmower :)

Looks decent the last time I was in woodies, wheels might be a bit on the light side. These generic mowers are generally 3 in 1 by default. Collector bag, side discharge opening, and usually mulching with either the bag flap closed or a plastic plug in the chute. Mulching with a non mulching blade is a compromise, only useful in light cutting. It's a big ask to mulch 56cm of heavy cut with 163cc of engine.. Woodie's site says it has only three height settings, which is odd. Reviewer says it has variable speed drive, through not advertised. That can easily add €80-100 to a mower price. If it has, it's a lot if mower for €399, with a b&s engine to boot and huge 56cm cut. Wheels would be my concern, and the quality of handle fittings, though these seem generic these days. As are the wheels. If they break, you'll eventually find a match on some other brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

corsav6 wrote: »
    I would have bought 1 of those from Woodies if I hadn't just picked up a 2nd hand machine 2 weeks ago.

I've been pushing an ancient thing around near 2 acres for the last few years and it was backbreaking work. Had a look on done deal and seen an immaculate self drive for less than €200. It's a World brand with 22" cut and Briggs and Stratton 675ex engine. I'm not too sure how it would compare to some of the machines the lads have here but for me it's brilliant. Ploughs through heavy grass and rushes without issue.

Sorry to derail, just a very happy lad here with his 1st decent lawnmower :)

You are mowing 2 acres with a push mower ( even an automatic , walk behind one)??? Fair play to you !!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mslater

Looks decent the last time I was in woodies, wheels might be a bit on the light side. These generic mowers are generally 3 in 1 by default. Collector bag, side discharge opening, and usually mulching with either the bag flap closed or a plastic plug in the chute. Mulching with a non mulching blade is a compromise, only useful in light cutting. It's a big ask to mulch 56cm of heavy cut with 163cc of engine.. Woodie's site says it has only three height settings, which is odd. Reviewer says it has variable speed drive, through not advertised. That can easily add €80-100 to a mower price. If it has, it's a lot if mower for €399, with a b&s engine to boot and huge 56cm cut. Wheels would be my concern, and the quality of handle fittings, though these seem generic these days. As are the wheels. If they break, you'll eventually find a match on some other brand.

Yes it was €499 now down to €399. I have just moved house and the old push mower I had for a small back garden is struggling with the new garden.

It looks like a beast of a machine. The one for €319 has a mulcher so I'm guessing this one must also.

When mulching, is the key to cut your grass often so it doesn't get too long? And if it's long, just cut it with normal lawnmower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

jmreire wrote: »
    You are mowing 2 acres with a push mower ( even an automatic , walk behind one)??? Fair play to you !!! :cool:

If I'm honest I'd say it's about 1.2 acre as the site was 2 acre so take building out of the way.
    Front lawns are a breeze but the back is the largest and thick heavy field grass coupled with rushes so needs cutting minimum once per week or it gets too much to handle.
    Hopes are to fence off the back and get a couple of sheep to keep it down.

Yes it was €499 now down to €399. I have just moved house and the old push mower I had for a small back garden is struggling with the new garden.

It looks like a beast of a machine. The one for €319 has a mulcher so I'm guessing this one must also.

When mulching, is the key to cut your grass often so it doesn't get too long? And if it's long, just cut it with normal lawnmower?
    Spot on.

corsav6 wrote: »
    If I'm honest I'd say it's about 1.2 acre as the site was 2 acre so take building out of the way.
    Front lawns are a breeze but the back is the largest and thick heavy field grass coupled with rushes so needs cutting minimum once per week or it gets too much to handle.
    Hopes are to fence off the back and get a couple of sheep to keep it down.

When I moved into the present house back in 2011, I bought a ride on husqvarna from the former owner as part of the deal. The site was 1.1 irish acres, less the dimensions of the house and about 20 feet all round it. Rest was grass ( ex field ) and even with the ride on, it was some job keeping the grass cut and presentable. So I split it with a dividing hedge, roughly 2/3's lawn, and 1/3 wild, back to nature area. Amongst other thing's,we have a resident fox family. And I upgraded the mower to a Honda 1724, and even so, It takes me the best part of 2 hours to cut it. And that was why I was amazed by your cutting more than an acre with a push mower ( even if it was motorized ) I take my hat off to you !!! :D

Ditto, and speaking of old hat, that reference to Irish acres brought me way back to the late 60's, 'following' my oul lad's International Harvester corn drill, which was calibrated in statute acres. I'd have to divide by 8, multiply by 5, work out the amount of barley or wheat sown per Irish acre, then adjust the variable toothed gear to tweak the sowing rate. The machine dated from the 2nd world war. 'Following' btw meant standing on the footboard of the drill as it tore around the field, watching, unblocking, cutting open bags and filling with fertiliser on the move. Mad. 12 hour days in the spring, but maybe a few off school. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I got one recently. Second cut with it today on 2/3rd acre. I may be picky coming from a dedicated mulching Husqvarna that packed in.

It looks fairly plasticky ,especially the bit on the front .
    Whats the build quality like ?

Ditto, and speaking of old hat, that reference to Irish acres brought me way back to the late 60's, 'following' my oul lad's International Harvester corn drill, which was calibrated in statute acres. I'd have to divide by 8, multiply by 5, work out the amount of barley or wheat sown per Irish acre, then adjust the variable toothed gear to tweak the sowing rate. The machine dated from the 2nd world war. 'Following' btw meant standing on the footboard of the drill as it tore around the field, watching, unblocking, cutting open bags and filling with fertiliser on the move. Mad. 12 hour days in the spring, but maybe a few off school. Sigh.

Yes, and maybe get a few slaps from the Brother's who were teaching back then for missing a day ( or days) used to dread the call which came every day " Na buachailli go raibh aslatair inne, ta siad ag teastail anois.

Zardoz wrote: »
    It looks fairly plasticky ,especially the bit on the front .
    Whats the build quality like ?

Build quality is good for the price point. Noticeably budget in a couple of spots but overall good value.
    I'm probably noticing things that I wouldn't normally because I'm coming from a pro grade Husqvarna that I had picked up second hand.
    Where it could improve:
    Could be better in the handlebars and plate connecting them to the deck, (a bit lightweight), the height adjustment lever, (doesn't seem very secure), and the linkage between the wheels is a small bit mushy. Quick release plastic handlebar levers are unnecessary and big, likely to snag if running alongside foliage, or a sharp standing stone in my case!
    The front piece is just a lifting handle really so not too concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 diabhail

Moved to new house, reasonably big lawns - around 2500 sq mts. Will be delaying any ride on mower purchase until finances stabilise! Did first 2 cuts with a rental Herkules 52.5 cm G53SHLV-C and was impressed.

It is for sale for €399 here:
    https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers/herkules-self-propelled-21-mower.html

Since I have no clue - is this a decent price for a good mower? Or are there cheaper as good equivalents?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

diabhail wrote: »
    Moved to new house, reasonably big lawns - around 2500 sq mts. Will be delaying any ride on mower purchase until finances stabilise! Did first 2 cuts with a rental Herkules 52.5 cm G53SHLV-C and was impressed.

It is for sale for €399 here:
    https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers/herkules-self-propelled-21-mower.html

Since I have no clue - is this a decent price for a good mower? Or are there cheaper as good equivalents?

I could be wrong and someone else will be around to correct me if so, but that looks like a rebrand of the Pro-Lawn from discussions over the last few pages. Available from Woodies for €320 currently here.

Bawnmore wrote: »
    I could be wrong and someone else will be around to correct me if so, but that looks like a rebrand of the Pro-Lawn from discussions over the last few pages. Available from Woodies for €320 currently here.

I think even the Pro Lawn is a rebadge of the Hyundai original? A few variants around I think alright though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

I think even the Pro Lawn is a rebadge of the Hyundai original? A few variants around I think alright though.

The Hyundai garden equipment side of the company seems to only sell rebadged chinese stuff. Their mowers, strimmers, pumps, leaf blowers and chippers are all available under other brand names.

The only possible advantage to the Hyundai brand name I can think of is that they aren't too bad for spare parts if you don't mind dealing with their main dealer in the UK. In the UK all their gear bought from the main dealer has a 3 year warranty but I don't think there is a big enough dealer here to do that.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    The Hyundai garden equipment side of the company seems to only sell rebadged chinese stuff. Their mowers, strimmers, pumps, leaf blowers and chippers are all available under other brand names.

The only possible advantage to the Hyundai brand name I can think of is that they aren't too bad for spare parts if you don't mind dealing with their main dealer in the UK. In the UK all their gear bought from the main dealer has a 3 year warranty but I don't think there is a big enough dealer here to do that.

I've used "PRO" branded stuff for a few years now, mainly supplied by Woodies, and always found it to work fine. I currently have a ProPlus combo, with strimmer, chainsaw, and hedge cutters, and all are still working fine, after more than 5 years. They are fine for the amateur ( like myself) if and when they pack up, they wont owe me anything. For full time gardening professionals though, they wont be good enough, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    GinSoaked wrote: »
    Maybe it thinks its in reverse, that you aren't sat in the seat or that rear box isn't shut properly. All possible micro switch or wiring issues.

where is the collection box safety switch located?? for the life of me i can't find it anywhere:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Build quality is good for the price point. Noticeably budget in a couple of spots but overall good value.
    I'm probably noticing things that I wouldn't normally because I'm coming from a pro grade Husqvarna that I had picked up second hand.
    Where it could improve:
    Could be better in the handlebars and plate connecting them to the deck, (a bit lightweight), the height adjustment lever, (doesn't seem very secure), and the linkage between the wheels is a small bit mushy. Quick release plastic handlebar levers are unnecessary and big, likely to snag if running alongside foliage, or a sharp standing stone in my case!
    The front piece is just a lifting handle really so not too concerned.

Thanks ,appreciate the reply.
    Whats the highest height setting like ,it says 75mm , which is a bit on the low side .

Advertisement