Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Going to go with EGO LM1903E-SP 47cm Self Propelled Cordless Mower 56v includes 5Ah Battery & Rapid Charger from Amazon.

Going to go with EGO LM1903E-SP 47cm Self Propelled Cordless Mower 56v includes 5Ah Battery & Rapid Charger from Amazon.

What is the best value Ego battery mower offering mulching and is self propelled? Every time I select a model it doesn't have a mulching plug or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭deezell

£595 is about €670, if they deliver to Ireland the extra 3% vat will push it close to €700, or the parcel motel charges will. Befor you buy, try Brodericks,
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/ego-56v-battery-cordless-lawnmower-lm1903e-sp/
    Its listed as €699, there might be a few bob off that and you'd have an Irish based supplier.

Mulching is power intensive, a big enough ask from cordless mowers unless it's a very light cut, ie, fine clippings on a neat lawn. I only see mulching offered on the biggest Ego 21",
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/ego-56v-21-inch-battery-cordless-lawnmower-lm2122esp/

Ego say they have a "mulching plug" to be available for inserting from May 2020 but I haven't been able to get anymore info. I am looking for a light self propelled mower as I have fatigue issues but would still like a bit of exercise.

I have a backyard with a slope (150sq.m or so) which the kids will play in so I wish to collect cuttings. The front lawn is +300sq.m and this is the area that I am looking to mulch.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Mulching is power intensive, a big enough ask from cordless mowers unless it's a very light cut, ie, fine clippings on a neat lawn. I only see mulching offered on the biggest Ego 21",
    https://www.lawnmowerworld.ie/product/ego-56v-21-inch-battery-cordless-lawnmower-lm2122esp/

Went with EGO LM1903E-SP from Broodericks. Getting a mulching kit as well. Thank christ that search is over.

Went with EGO LM1903E-SP from Broodericks. Getting a mulching kit as well. Thank christ that search is over.

Yes, and you selected the second size 18" mower, not the 21", so you can honestly say you've not got the biggest Ego!

Yes, and you selected the second size 18" mower, not the 21", so you can honestly say you've not got the biggest Ego!

I'm not sure if you are saying I went for the right thing or wrong thing.

I'm not sure if you are saying I went for the right thing or wrong thing.

No, you made the right choice. I'd be interested to hear how it performs, light cutting, heavy, mulching , battery time, convenience, etc.
    I couldn't resist the wordplay on the brand name. Back in the day, a top brand of hand tools was an abrreviation of the name 'Richard'. Quite fun working in yard or workshop, and passing those spanners about.

No, you made the right choice. I'd be interested to hear how it performs, light cutting, heavy, mulching , battery time, convenience, etc.
    I couldn't resist the wordplay on the brand name. Back in the day, a top brand of hand tools was an abrreviation of the name 'Richard'. Quite fun working in yard or workshop, and passing those spanners about.
    What was the biggest one you ever saw? 😀

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

You mean King "Richard"?

What was the biggest one you ever saw? ��

16" adjustable.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    You mean King "Richard"?

xking_dick_acw.jpg.pagespeed.ic._Q3wZ9QWEh.jpg

Yep.

xking_dick_acw.jpg.pagespeed.ic._Q3wZ9QWEh.jpg

Yep.

And with that I am going to leave this conversation. Thanks for the lawnmower advise. Not so much about your massive tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John arse

stihl rm253t self drive 20inch wide cut around 500 euro,opinions anyone?

John arse wrote: »
    stihl rm253t self drive 20inch wide cut around 500 euro,opinions anyone?

Solid machine, formerly Viking ME253t, now a Stihl product. The engine has been upgraded on this to a 625 series B&S 150cc 3hp, but the older Viking version and a few of the earlier Stihl rebadged ones will have the older 140cc one. Very little to go wrong on this machine, but haggle, Stihl always fix the advertised price from dealer to dealer, €495-499. Turn up at shop and seek discount, or extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gardening2020

Hello

I'm looking for a ride-on mower to cut my new half-acre lawn.
    Its a bit hilly and has some tight turns in places.

I know nothing about mowers so would be grateful for advice. I've read through much of this thread but am a bit lost.

What kind of mowing deck size should I be looking at? Would 38" (970mm) be sufficient?
    And what size engine?
    Are hydrostatic drives worth it or are they a gimmick?

Any recommendations for any particular brands or models?
    There's a Husqvarna dealer nearby so am tempted by them. The TC 239T looks like it might fit the bill but I'm not really sure. Husqvarna seem to get mixed reviews online.
    I wouldn't mind spending a little more to get something more reliable. Would something like a Honda be much better? What kind of premium would I be paying? Would I get anything decent for about €4k?

Hello

I'm looking for a ride-on mower to cut my new half-acre lawn.
    Its a bit hilly and has some tight turns in places.

I know nothing about mowers so would be grateful for advice. I've read through much of this thread but am a bit lost.

What kind of mowing deck size should I be looking at? Would 38" (970mm) be sufficient?
    And what size engine?
    Are hydrostatic drives worth it or are they a gimmick?

Any recommendations for any particular brands or models?
    There's a Husqvarna dealer nearby so am tempted by them. The TC 239T looks like it might fit the bill but I'm not really sure. Husqvarna seem to get mixed reviews online.
    I wouldn't mind spending a little more to get something more reliable. Would something like a Honda be much better? What kind of premium would I be paying? Would I get anything decent for about €4k?

If 4k is your budget, I'd recommend this Stihl
    https://www.fitzhire.ie/tractors/250-stihl-rt-5112-oz-mower.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

If 4k is your budget, I'd recommend this Stihl
    https://www.fitzhire.ie/tractors/250-stihl-rt-5112-oz-mower.html

I'd recommend the Stihl too as I got one on boards recommendation (probably deezell ;) ) and it's been an absolute beast for me. Ive some steep parts to my lawn and awkward corners and its been a breeze for the machine.

Also as being over 6ft, I found some ride on's having forward back control at the feet being cramped, but with the Stihl, there is a forward back lever on the steering wheel column and a comfortably placed brake and accelerator placed on the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gardening2020

Thanks very much. Loooks like a great machine for the price! Does it have a mulching function?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Thanks very much. Loooks like a great machine for the price! Does it have a mulching function?

When I bought mine from a local dealer, they threw a mulch plug into the deal, which just fits down the grass chute. Only only ever mulch.

That supplier is including the mulch plus, as well as the discount from the general price of €3999. If you definitely only mulch, there are machines specifically only for this, with multichop blades that force the clippings down onto the lawn. They generally cost less also, but the Stihl, with 22hp v twin cylinder engine, 43" cut and really tight turning circle is a lot mower for the money, and the build quality in top notch. Very quiet too. If theres the slightest chance you might need to collect, no harm to have the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Hi,

I am looking for a manual and or a wiring diagram for a Castlegarden Twin Cut Plus 17/102 model from 2002. Would anybody here know where I could find one

Neilinhio wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for a manual and or a wiring diagram for a Castlegarden Twin Cut Plus 17/102 model from 2002. Would anybody here know where I could find one

Here you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

What make and model is this? on sticker by seat ,Switzerland 2001,hard to make out.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    What make and model is this? on sticker by seat ,Switzerland 2001,hard to make out.

Castelgarden TC102, or clone.
    See part lists to previous post

Castelgarden TC102, or clone.
    See part lists to previous post

See that alright,didn't seem like the machanics of this one.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    See that alright,didn't seem like the machanics of this one.

Of what I can see of the deck, it is identical to the Castelgarden, Mountfield, Alpina and others, layout, grass bag, other details match. Its an Efco - Ags according to this ad.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/S5T3TzQWvS41kida6

Here's an image of its deck, which is a Castelgarden equivalent from 1998 or earlier.

https://images.app.goo.gl/o5fapha7Uh7958i89

Efco, AGS, Dino, Hercules, Lawnboss, some of the names for these generic mowers which probably all originated in Italy in the 90s.

Of what I can see of the deck, it is identical to the Castelgarden, Mountfield, Alpina and others, layout, grass bag, other details match. Its an Efco - Ags according to this ad.

Here's an image of its deck, which is a Castelgarden equivalent from 1998 or earlier.

Efco, AGS, Dino, Hercules, Lawnboss, some of the names for these generic mowers which probably all originated in Italy in the 90s.

Thanks for that, are the 2 links the same?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Neilinhio

Here you go.

Thanks very much.

Advertisement