Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Zardoz wrote: »
    Thanks ,appreciate the reply.
    Whats the highest height setting like ,it says 75mm , which is a bit on the low side .

It's about what I'm used to, but I generally cut regular because I mulch. Not bagging 2/3rds acre if I can avoid...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭deezell

fryup wrote: »
    where is the collection box safety switch located?? for the life of me i can't find it anywhere:confused:

It's a little stub button that protrudes top right of the back frame when you remove the grass bag. Grass bag presses it in. This might help also.

http://www.lawn-king.co.uk/downloads/13954053631_01_2013_15_41_33.pdf

fryup wrote: »
    where is the collection box safety switch located?? for the life of me i can't find it anywhere:confused:
    This service manual will come in handy also if you need to remove under seat cover to access this switch.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TP0HgkqEU3L6_1XcbSE1prxCLymLYIbe/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 11 600lbs

Can anyone tell me if Maxol 4 stroke lawnmower engine oil is suitable for the 53cm Pro Lawn Hyundai engine?

The tag on the Hyundai engine says to use SAE 30 or SAE 15W40 oil. The bottle of Maxoi oil doesn't mention the oil grade, only that it's 4 stroke lawnmower oil.

Links to both the lawnmower and Maxol oil below.

https://www.woodies.ie/maxol-1lt-4-stroke-lawnmower-oil-343838

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

600lbs wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if Maxol 4 stroke lawnmower engine oil is suitable for the 53cm Pro Lawn Hyundai engine?

The tag on the Hyundai engine says to use SAE 30 or SAE 15W40 oil. The bottle of Maxoi oil doesn't mention the oil grade, only that it's 4 stroke lawnmower oil.

https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

Suitable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

13 quid for a liter of engine oil is a bit dear

Next time Lidl or Aldi have their motor accessories specials on, you can grab 5L of 15W40 for almost the same price and I'm pretty sure your local motor factors has similar offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The Maxol stuff is fine but its none of the above afaik its 10w30 https://www.maxol.ie/lubricants/products-technical/agriculture/engine-oil/product/download/file_id-835

The hyundai has a cheap chinese engine, nothing wrong with that as its probably an almost exact copy of a Honda engine, but one thing I have noticed is that you can get a lot of fine metallic particles in the oil so its worth being extra keen doing the oil changes especially the very first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭jmreire

Personally, with any garden machinery using a 4 stroke engine, I use the recommended SAE / API oil but, its the same oil that I use in a car engine when I'm
    changing it. I don't use a branded " 4 stroke Lawnmower Oil". A 4 stroke engine is a 4 stroke engine, and its the engine manufacturer I'd go by. I have a 1984 Castle garden push mower, with a B&Q engine, and I have always used ordinary 4 stroke oil in changes, and never a problem. The change frequency is what is important, IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Zardoz

dos29 wrote: »
    It's about what I'm used to, but I generally cut regular because I mulch. Not bagging 2/3rds acre if I can avoid...

How big is the box the mower comes in ,would it fit in the back seat of a car or a hatchback ?

How big is the box the mower comes in ,would it fit in the back seat of a car or a hatchback ?

You won't get it in the door I'd say. 2 man lift into the boot of my estate with not much room to spare.

• Advertisement

If its an ordinary push mower ( even if it's automatic ) the handles generally fold down, and it will fit in the boot, ( this depends on what make of cat you have...for a Skoda Octavia or Superb, no problem. Other makes, I'm not so sure ) I have a Honda Izzy, and a Castle garden, and the handles fold flat on both of them, no problem to move them around in the car.

You might need to lose the cardboard box, load all the bits loose.

deezell wrote: »

I know that when they arrive at the dealership, they come "dry" no engine oil or fuel in them. And the dealership finishes the assembly process....should not even be boxed when you get it.. in my experience anyway. I got a new Honda 1724 a few weeks ago ( I know its a ride on, and not a push mower, but same principle applies) and while I was in the shop, they were assembling push mower's for customers, and I was talking to the shop owner about them. The OP should not have any transport problems with his.

deezell wrote: »

If doing this, be wary. It's labelled as having no oil, but there is a minimal amount in it. I tilted it to check the blade and have a general look around underneath and while the dipstick was out, some oil poured out. Thankfully I was doing this in the garage, but if you load it anything but flat because you have to in a hatchback etc, even if oil doesn't pour out it could flood the air filter if tilted that way. Suppose this applies even boxed actually.
    I presume they put just enough in to give it initial lubrication.

If doing this, be wary. It's labelled as having no oil, but there is a minimal amount in it. I tilted it to check the blade and have a general look around underneath and while the dipstick was out, some oil poured out. Thankfully I was doing this in the garage, but if you load it anything but flat because you have to in a hatchback etc, even if oil doesn't pour out it could flood the air filter if tilted that way. Suppose this applies even boxed actually.
    I presume they put just enough in to give it initial lubrication.

All engine's are shipped dry due to the hazardous nature of oils and fuels. While there would be at the most a thin coating of oil for rust protection,and unless the dealership added some, there would not be enough to spill out. When collecting the mower the dealer should explain all these details fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

corsav6 wrote: »
    I would have bought 1 of those from Woodies if I hadn't just picked up a 2nd hand machine 2 weeks ago.

I've been pushing an ancient thing around near 2 acres for the last few years and it was backbreaking work. Had a look on done deal and seen an immaculate self drive for less than €200. It's a World brand with 22" cut and Briggs and Stratton 675ex engine. I'm not too sure how it would compare to some of the machines the lads have here but for me it's brilliant. Ploughs through heavy grass and rushes without issue.

Sorry to derail, just a very happy lad here with his 1st decent lawnmower :)

I think I have the same one, its pretty soild alright, you probably bought it off the same lad in Meath that I did :)
    mine is at full revs all the time and eats the grass, lowest cut is 25mm which is a bit annoying, but its a beast.

I bought a manual cylinder mower at the weekend for €50, I think its a 16" cut, so was a bit worried it would take hours on my 500m2 garden, but to be honest its so light and I can push it much faster than any powered mower it was just as quick, especially if cutting frequently and leaving the clippings.
    The beauty of a cylinder cut lawn is really so nice, like carpet.

Going to buy myself an Allett with scarifier/aerator/blade at some stage, get those wimbledon stripes going :)

GreeBo wrote: »
    I think I have the same one, its pretty soild alright, you probably bought it off the same lad in Meath that I did :)
    mine is at full revs all the time and eats the grass, lowest cut is 25mm which is a bit annoying, but its a beast.

I bought a manual cylinder mower at the weekend for €50, I think its a 16" cut, so was a bit worried it would take hours on my 500m2 garden, but to be honest its so light and I can push it much faster than any powered mower it was just as quick, especially if cutting frequently and leaving the clippings.
    The beauty of a cylinder cut lawn is really so nice, like carpet.

Going to buy myself an Allett with scarifier/aerator/blade at some stage, get those wimbledon stripes going :)

You get those Wimbledon stripes from the rollers (front and back) plus the action of the cylinder not from any other tool.

GinSoaked wrote: »
    You get those Wimbledon stripes from the rollers (front and back) plus the action of the cylinder not from any other tool.

Would a roller not increase the amount of thatch ?

Would a roller not increase the amount of thatch ?

How do you think grass was cut for years before then invention of the rotary mower?

All the roller does is push all the grass over in one direction. A bit like raking a shag pile carpet (if you are old enough) and getting a finish on one direction.

The big advantage of a cylinder mower apart from the striping effect is that it cuts the grass much more cleanly so the finer grasses survive better as they don't get thrashed with an often blunt bit of steel.

jmreire wrote: »
    All engine's are shipped dry due to the hazardous nature of oils and fuels. While there would be at the most a thin coating of oil for rust protection,and unless the dealership added some, there would not be enough to spill out. When collecting the mower the dealer should explain all these details fully.

Not sure you're following where these mowers are coming from. The "dealership" in question is Woodies. As far as dealer assembly goes, best of luck getting them to do that, I took away a boxed lawnmower, so they certainly didn't get through the sealed box to add oil. Like I said, not enough to run, I still had to add pretty much the recommended fill amount, but as for "not enough to spill out", I was most certainly on my knees wiping up with paper towels, having noticed it draining from the oil fill spout while the mower was on its side. My own error for having the dipstick out in preparation for filling, but everything, including a tag on the spout, indicated it was dry.

• Advertisement

Not sure you're following where these mowers are coming from. The "dealership" in question is Woodies. As far as dealer assembly goes, best of luck getting them to do that, I took away a boxed lawnmower, so they certainly didn't get through the sealed box to add oil. Like I said, not enough to run, I still had to add pretty much the recommended fill amount, but as for "not enough to spill out", I was most certainly on my knees wiping up with paper towels, having noticed it draining from the oil fill spout while the mower was on its side. My own error for having the dipstick out in preparation for filling, but everything, including a tag on the spout, indicated it was dry.

Week before last, I traded my Honda 1724 for a new one..I've been dealing with the same firm for many years, and we know each other well. When he was showing me the new model, and had the bonnet up so I could see the engine, Out of sheer habit, I dipped it for oil...and the stick showed "zero". Jokingly I said, " better put a drop of oil in her before you bring her out to me". He then explained that all of their mower's ( ride on or push ) come dry shipped. So how the oil got into your one, and it still in the box, I have no idea. I have personal experience of working with engine's etc. and normally after assembly they are given a protective coating of oil, but definitely not enough to spill out as you describe. I'm at a loss to explain how so much got in your mower while it was sealed in a box. They were filling the engines of push mower's in the shop while I was there with oil, as part of the final assembly before handing them over to their new owners. Next time I'm in the shop, I'll ask the owner how this is possible. I do know from packing and shipping items myself, that when the shipping / airline company's say "dry", they mean it. I remember one airline refusing point blank to take car battery's unless they were dry. Oddly enough, they would take a wet fully charged battery, but only if it was in the vehicle. I presume that as it came from Woodie's and was boxed, and their suppliers did the final assembly before packing and shipping to Woodie's, inc adding some oil? But I don't know really how it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

going to stick this in here as i dont think it warrants its own thread, looking at getting a Brush cutter and could do with some recommendations for something that will be doing the usual around the garden will have to cut a fair amount of "field grass" that my HRX537 wont cut, budget maybe around the 400 mark could stretch that if needs be.

How do you think grass was cut for years before then invention of the rotary mower?

All the roller does is push all the grass over in one direction. A bit like raking a shag pile carpet (if you are old enough) and getting a finish on one direction.

The big advantage of a cylinder mower apart from the striping effect is that it cuts the grass much more cleanly so the finer grasses survive better as they don't get thrashed with an often blunt bit of steel.

I guess I thought it was cut by a cylindrical mower without a roller .

My next door neighbour has a cylindrical mower ,he is out every few days cutting it ,I know it has to be cut more regularly than a lawn cut by a rotary lawnmower due to the design.

I guess a roller is ok as long as you vary the direction that you cut the lawn otherwise the grass would lie in one direction and encourage thatch ?
    I get stripes with my rotary mower ,they usually only last a couple of days though .
    I cut in different directions on each cut ,up down ,left right and then diagonally (2 ways),so thats 4 different ways of cutting to help reduce thatch.

Thats how you get all the fancy patterns on Golf courses, football pitches and the like by cutting in different directions each time. The previous direction of cut still shows up weeks later.

Yeah I know, cylinder mowers typically have much better rollers than rotary. The cylinder mower, coupled with a front comb give s much better cut. There is little point in striping crappy long grass imo.

I guess I thought it was cut by a cylindrical mower without a roller .

My next door neighbour has a cylindrical mower ,he is out every few days cutting it ,I know it has to be cut more regularly than a lawn cut by a rotary lawnmower due to the design.

I guess a roller is ok as long as you vary the direction that you cut the lawn otherwise the grass would lie in one direction and encourage thatch ?
    I get stripes with my rotary mower ,they usually only last a couple of days though .
    I cut in different directions on each cut ,up down ,left right and then diagonally (2 ways),so thats 4 different ways of cutting to help reduce thatch.

Thatch is dead material, not live plants lying down...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mslater

Hi there. I went with Woodies Pro Lawn Hyundai 173cc 53cm. Just wondering if anyone else who bought it had problems putting the grass box onto the lawnmower? I've a feeling I've been give the wrong grass box!

mslater wrote: »
    Hi there. I went with Woodies Pro Lawn Hyundai 173cc 53cm. Just wondering if anyone else who bought it had problems putting the grass box onto the lawnmower? I've a feeling I've been give the wrong grass box!

Don't have that exact model but my wife bought one of the near identical clones and its a total bastard to get the grass box on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

After a lot of thought I've decided to invest in a battery operated self propelled lawnmower. Approximately 500sq.m of lawn. Where am I going to the best value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mslater

Don't have that exact model but my wife bought one of the near identical clones and its a total bastard to get the grass box on.

Yeah I got it on eventually, as you said, a total bastard. Had the rest done in a few minutes. Who would have thought the grass box would cause an issue. I was convinced it was the wrong size for ages.

Advertisement