Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

Thanks deezel that's what I was looking for. About a thousand euro for self propelled vs 500 for push. Usage for overgrown grass and weeds on uneven fields with slopes.

Anybody here tried one of these?

B&S 675EX FLO speed €938
    (also lower in the list for €895, don't know the difference)
    Honda GCV 160 FLO speed €1049
    FLO speed 6HO GCV 160 €958
    Briggs & Stratton 850 €1471
    B&S 850E powered FLO speed €1040

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

I've just seen peasant's reply https://www.as-motor.com/variant/allmaehers/
    Interesting - that picture looks familiar to me :-) How much are they? I didn't see prices there and if people are coy about prices that usually means they're high. Maybe it's the kind of thing where if you have to ask, you can't afford it :-)

Yes, it's about a half acre or more long narrow firebreak, 30 deg slope I guess.
    I once tried a handheld (or harnessed) strimmer with a blade and it was like painting the house with a toothbrush.

But is that push? I've already tried one out and it's VERY hard work, the wheels kept getting caught in holes/depressions in the uneven rocky ground and going uphill (even left-to-right on a slope has some slope in one direction) was really difficult. I have used a conventional self-propelled mower at its highest setting but every so often waste its blade on some unseen rock. The ground was originally levelled by a hired mechanical digger. Over the years I've managed to remove the smaller stones and expose the large ones so I don't hit them but it's not really for a lawnmower I would have thought. At least the gorse on the firebreak is low enough to be doable by now. A nice result is the carpet of blue milkwort among it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,075 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

GinSoaked wrote: »
    If its a B&S engine I find Amazon have a good many parts.

It’s a Honda rs100 engine. Lots of parts on amazon but they are all coming from China and delayed for a good while.
    Also they are non genuine as far as I can tell.

Parcel motel or similar is an option. They have an address in northern Ireland where you can get the parts sent to and they will forward them on to a pickup point of your home address. €7 for delivery to your house. Not sure of the pick up point prices.

Yeah I’m setup for that but a few companies I’ve contacted are saying mainland uk only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭deezell

tom1ie wrote: »
    Yeah I’m setup for that but a few companies I’ve contacted are saying mainland uk only.
    Addresspal costs the same as PM, €3.95, for a decent sized packet, and you get a mainland UK address.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    Addresspal costs the same as PM, €3.95, for a decent sized packet, and you get a mainland UK address.

Great. Thanks I will give that a go!

Sysmod wrote: »
    I've just seen peasant's reply https://www.as-motor.com/variant/allmaehers/
    Interesting - that picture looks familiar to me :-) How much are they? I didn't see prices there and if people are coy about prices that usually means they're high. Maybe it's the kind of thing where if you have to ask, you can't afford it :-)
    Mouthwatering prices on this German site,
    https://www.maeher-shop.de/catalogsearch/result/?q=As+motor+
    Southern Machinery up the road from me beside Mondello park sell these, prices by quote, as you said.
    .....I have used a conventional self-propelled mower at its highest setting but every so often waste its blade on some unseen rock......
    On that note, a possible option is a conventional style mower with a swing tip blade. The Cobra mowers have an optional swing tip,
    grey_swing_tip_blade.jpg

The Hayer Hayterette also is a swing tip mulching mower which is about €700.
    https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/Hayter-Hayterette-Petrol-Mulching-Lawnmower-005-CODE005J.html

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭abnormalnorman

Hi

Iv a Countax D1850. Its a Diesel, with a 3 blade cutting deck. . . . about 36" or something.

Anyway, the belt came off within the deck (connecting i think 8 small wheels, one being a tension-er). I think I might have hit a lump that made it come off.

Anyway, i put it back on, and all worked fine at first. Then the "cutting blade enable" switch just de-clicked to the off position by itself, turning off the blades. I clicked the switch back on, turning the blades back on again, but after a while same thing happened.
    For the finished it kept happening every minute or less.

Grass not too long, and dry - no great pressure.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Also, anyone got a pic of how the deck belt should go on, in case i put it on wrong?

Countax18/50 manual. Drive belt diagram inside, page 7

http://pdfstream.manualsonline.com/6/6b998e7f-1060-4282-ba19-5baa54790f9c.pdf
    Sounds like an interlock relay wire has come loose, possibly detached while you worked on the deck belt. Usual interlocks on ride ons in general that cut the blade clutch are seat unoccupied grass box seating, grassbox full, and reverse engaged. Assuming some of these are implemented on your mower, check that the microswitchs are not dislodged, or the cables pulled, damaged or pinched. The manual suggests that there is only a seat interlock. Check if the battery is charging. If the battery runs low during cutting, the clutch may disengage.
    EDIT. Check electrical connections to the clutch itself, in case they were dislodged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sysmod wrote: »

But is that push? I've already tried one out and it's VERY hard work, the wheels kept getting caught in holes/depressions in the uneven rocky ground and going uphill (even left-to-right on a slope has some slope in one direction) was really difficult.

The Allmaeher thingys all have driven wheels, they're hefty machines, you couldn't really push them. The bigger yokes even have several gears, including reverse

Both mine are/have been three wheelers which makes them pretty impervious to uneven terrain, they just rock about over lumps and bumps.

The AS 65 is/was one of Southern Machinery's better sellers (often used in forestry), might be no harm in asking if there is a used one about. Pre-Covid they were also quite happy to give a demo on your land if you were serious about buying (and they happened to be nearby)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

The Hayer Hayterette also is a swing tip mulching mower which is about €700.
    https://www.mowermagic.co.uk/acatalog/Hayter-Hayterette-Petrol-Mulching-Lawnmower-005-CODE005J.html

I'd never call the Hayterette a Mulching mower. I've pushed one far enough. Useful machine in a few circumstances but otherwise one to be avoided by anyone that wants a decent finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

I'd never call the Hayterette a Mulching mower. I've pushed one far enough. Useful machine in a few circumstances but otherwise one to be avoided by anyone that wants a decent finish.

+1

The hayterette is and always has been a rough cut mower for small orchards and the like,I've had a few over the years, terrific machine but limited uses

peasant wrote: »
    The Allmaeher thingys all have driven wheels, they're hefty machines, you couldn't really push them. The bigger yokes even have several gears, including reverse

Both mine are/have been three wheelers which makes them pretty impervious to uneven terrain, they just rock about over lumps and bumps.

The AS 65 is/was one of Southern Machinery's better sellers (often used in forestry), might be no harm in asking if there is a used one about. Pre-Covid they were also quite happy to give a demo on your land if you were serious about buying (and they happened to be nearby)

Great machines but I couldn't afford one even second hand :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hope somebody can help with this one. I've a Honda 2417 ride-on mower that I bought second-hand from a main Honda dealer six or seven years ago. Think it was already four or five years old at the time.

Never had any real problems but something has developed this year - when I engage the blades, they take at least 30 and sometimes more than 45 seconds to get up to speed and start turning properly.

Am not particularly mechanically-minded so have no idea what the cause of this might be, and have no real means of trying to fix it even if it were a relatively simple job. Just wondering if anybody might have any ideas though, so I've some sort of idea what to expect if I arrange to bring it back to the dealer?

Hope somebody can help with this one. I've a Honda 2417 ride-on mower that I bought second-hand from a main Honda dealer six or seven years ago. Think it was already four or five years old at the time.

Never had any real problems but something has developed this year - when I engage the blades, they take at least 30 and sometimes more than 45 seconds to get up to speed and start turning properly.

Am not particularly mechanically-minded so have no idea what the cause of this might be, and have no real means of trying to fix it even if it were a relatively simple job. Just wondering if anybody might have any ideas though, so I've some sort of idea what to expect if I arrange to bring it back to the dealer?

Might need a new belt. When old and worn they can slip on start up until they heat up and get a bit 'sticky. It's possible the electric clutch might be sticking also, if its out in the elements and gets a bit corroded inside. Check the belt, if you haven't changed it in seven years....
    Engine to deck Belt for this is a B55 btw, very inexpensive to buy independently, but from a main dealer..

Might need a new belt. When old and worn they can slip on start up until they heat up and get a bit 'sticky. It's possible the electric clutch might be sticking also, if its out in the elements and gets a bit corroded inside. Check the belt, if you haven't changed it in seven years....

Not nit picking but didn't some of those of that age have a vacuum mechanism for taking up the belt tension? Those particular units often gave problems after about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks to both of you for answers. The bit about not working well until the belt heats up and becomes 'sticky' makes sense because the problem is worst on start-up. Takes about 45 seconds the first time I engage the blades, but if I stop them later to empty the box or move to a new piece of ground or whatever, it doesn't take as long for them to start back again. Presumably because belt is still a bit hot and sticky.

Not quite sure what the bit about vacuum mechanism means or how that might be an added complication? Told you I'm not very mechanical!

Anyway, there's an independent repair guy close by who's been recommended to me. Will give him a shout on it.

Thanks to both of you for answers. The bit about not working well until the belt heats up and becomes 'sticky' makes sense because the problem is worst on start-up. Takes about 45 seconds the first time I engage the blades, but if I stop them later to empty the box or move to a new piece of ground or whatever, it doesn't take as long for them to start back again. Presumably because belt is still a bit hot and sticky.

Not quite sure what the bit about vacuum mechanism means or how that might be an added complication? Told you I'm not very mechanical!

Anyway, there's an independent repair guy close by who's been recommended to me. Will give him a shout on it.

Ether you press an electrical button and the blades start, you move a heavy mechanical clutch lever or you move a switch which actuates a vacuum off the engine which pulls on a diaphragm which in turn pulls on the cable that gets the blade belt moving. The diaphragms occasionally give trouble with age.

No matter what replace the belt if its 10 years old then its worn out even if you only do light work with. When you get it off you may find it looks nothing like a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭worlds goodest teecher

Moving to new house. Need a mower. Have severe fatigue issues. Considering Works Landroid or self propelled battery lawnmower. Lawn is quite bumpy, there may have been livestock on the lawn at some stage. Advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

how big an area?
    any vegetation.
    Bumps can be fixed.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

how big an area?
    any vegetation.
    Bumps can be fixed.

Probably 150sq.m or so. Vegetation no, plenty of weeds though. Might put swings in the lawn at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone watch the rte news tonight. they had a feature about landscapers back to work...and they had this guy in the background on a stand up ride-on mower, never seen the like...whats the purpose of those??

fryup wrote: »
    anyone watch the rte news tonight. they had a feature about landscapers back to work...and they had this guy in the background on a stand up ride-on mower, never seen the like...whats the purpose of those??

An American idea afaik probably for really fat Americans that can't get on a seat. Seen them in use in the UK, often a sort of ZTR without a seat.

An American idea afaik probably for really fat Americans that can't get on a seat. Seen them in use in the UK, often a sort of ZTR without a seat.

There'd be s few Paddys that would fit that description also! The stand on zero turn is for contractors cutting rough or waste ground,or public areas, often with obstacles, litter etc. Operator needs more manoeuvrbility, which the short wheel base gives, and frequent hopping off and on, plus better observation from the standing position. It's really like a large walk behind mower with a couple of steps you hop on for the ride. I seen a vintage Ransomes cylinder mower in the Phoenix park at Bloom one year, it had a little towed pedestal, a precursor if the modern ZTM.
    The guy on the news was mowing exactly that type of plot, full of debris, who knows what (or who) waiting in the long grass.

Moving to new house. Need a mower. Have severe fatigue issues. Considering Works Landroid or self propelled battery lawnmower. Lawn is quite bumpy, there may have been livestock on the lawn at some stage. Advice?

Works Android looks the job for unkempt small areas. The smaller model does up to 300m2. Nice big grippy open drive wheels. I see a deal here for factory refurb demo models, https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/worx-landroid-s300-wr130e-2020-demonstration-model
    but it's good value at full new price, €499, on this site, plus 5 year warranty. You might want to buy local though from a dealer to have warranty reassurance, but you'll pay. €740 here from Argos, http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8790824/Trail/searchtext>Robot+lawnmower.htm

Just a suggestion, get someone in once a week to mow it for you, for this year anyway. It will be well walked down and ready by next spring. Money well spent.

Works Android looks the job for unkempt small areas. The smaller model does up to 300m2. Nice big grippy open drive wheels. I see a deal here for factory refurb demo models, https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/worx-landroid-s300-wr130e-2020-demonstration-model
    but it's good value at full new price, €499, on this site, plus 5 year warranty. You might want to buy local though from a dealer to have warranty reassurance, but you'll pay. €740 here from Argos, http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8790824/Trail/searchtext>Robot+lawnmower.htm

Just a suggestion, get someone in once a week to mow it for you, for this year anyway. It will be well walked down and ready by next spring. Money well spent.

I think I will have to go for the Worx Landroid M500, will have to measure it at the weekend. Wont have enough boundary wire, can additional wire be connected?

I think I will have to go for the Worx Landroid M500, will have to measure it at the weekend. Wont have enough boundary wire, can additional wire be connected?

I'm sure it can. I've seen it on amazon in reels.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Type 901

Have an approx 300/325 m2 lawn in the house. Looking at the pro lawn in Woodies as seems a decent price. Wanted to get a opinion if it would be over kill for my needs?

Type 901 wrote: »
    Have an approx 300/325 m2 lawn in the house.......
    Probably cheaper than carpet?
    I presume you mean the cut price electric start for €319? It will certainly be big enough for the job, just be aware that a small plot involves a lot of turning, and with a big heavy mower this can be tiresome. If your 350m2 was a long narrow strip, then it's not an issue. Go in and give a good handling, wheel around the aisles etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭oleras

i would be very tempted by this,https://www.myrobotcenter.eu/en/yardforce-sa900eco-2020

I only have around 600sqm on the side lawn, would still run around the front one with the lawnmower. Smaller version has a 2Ah battery, this one has 2.9 so would be out longer.

They really have come down a lot in price the last few years.

Advertisement