Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭jmreire

deezell wrote: »
    Stihl ride on mowers (formerly Viking) have the biggest grass box according to Farmers Journal test I linked a few posts back. Cutting 2.5 acres, you want something big, though not an expensive commercial machine I assume. The Stihl RT6127 ZL is a big beast, whopping 49" cut, one and a quarter metres, huge 21hp B&S V twin engine. Currently advertised here for €4800, this mower was close to 6 grand some years ago. Massive build quality too. Compare it's size to a standard 102-110 cm cut quality mower, which will set you back close to this amount.
    http://www.donegan.ie/product_info.php?products_id=2653

I had the Viking 5MT61270 with the 50" deck, and its indeed a fine machine, but only if your lawn is very level and smooth. It has a wide wheelbase, and will cut very erratically if the lawn is anyway uneven. Also tends tends to leave "strip" uncut between the blades, as if there is a gap in the cut....which is strange because the blades are at right angles to each other, so there should be a slight overlap in the cut. Anyway, make a long story short, I went back to the Honda 2417, and now the cutting is much better, as the wheelbase is smaller than in the Viking. Of course, the cut is smaller to at 40", but I don't mind the bit of extra time it takes . Technically, the Viking is much more computerized too and also more comfortable and easier to drive than the Honda. Its much more refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭deezell

jmreire wrote: »
    I had the Viking 5MT61270 with the 50" deck, and its indeed a fine machine, but only if your lawn is very level and smooth. It has a wide wheelbase, and will cut very erratically if the lawn is anyway uneven. Also tends tends to leave "strip" uncut between the blades, as if there is a gap in the cut....which is strange because the blades are at right angles to each other, so there should be a slight overlap in the cut. Anyway, make a long story short, I went back to the Honda 2417, and now the cutting is much better, as the wheelbase is smaller than in the Viking. Of course, the cut is smaller to at 40", but I don't mind the bit of extra time it takes . Technically, the Viking is much more computerized too and also more comfortable and easier to drive than the Honda. Its much more refined.

Hmm, my 'lawn' is pretty coarse, plenty of moss and thatch, its growing on pure drained bog, no soil, (it actually grows from the thatch, which seems to be sitting on the dense turf with little root penentration), and the perimeters are riddled with roots of mature trees, but it cuts great, no line down the middle, and since I got that big Viking to replace a 40" Castlegarden, I've eliminated the scalping that used to happen, as the wide wheelbase and extra large turf tyres prevent the sinking that used to occur with the titchy CG front wheels, especially on curves and turns. This used to be so bad I would raise the deck while driving on a corner turn and then lower it, hard on the arms. Not anymore. It's almost the opposite of your experience, and I certainly would not return to the longer mowing time, down to 45-50 minutes from what used be an hour twenty. One of the best and almost accidental used purchases I've ever made. And the build is top class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

thisyear wrote: »
    Hi all,

have about 2.5acres to cut but a portion of it is a long avenue. Im wondering what is the best mover for damp grass and the biggest collection bag!

thanks for the help

Really you either going with the Stihl as mentioned or drop down to maybe a small width and just spend longer on it

After that you could move up to professional type mower and diesel engine. One of my brother invested in the Kubota, diesel engine. It was supposed to cut wet grass but in reality it doesn't really unless you are just mulching. Its a monster of a thing but it was 6k+

Hmm, my 'lawn' is pretty coarse, plenty of moss and thatch, its growing on pure drained bog, no soil, (it actually grows from the thatch, which seems to be sitting on the dense turf with little root penentration), and the perimeters are riddled with roots of mature trees, but it cuts great, no line down the middle, and since I got that big Viking to replace a 40" Castlegarden, I've eliminated the scalping that used to happen, as the wide wheelbase and extra large turf tyres prevent the sinking that used to occur with the titchy CG front wheels, especially on curves and turns. This used to be so bad I would raise the deck while driving on a corner turn and then lower it, hard on the arms. Not anymore. It's almost the opposite of your experience, and I certainly would not return to the longer mowing time, down to 45-50 minutes from what used be an hour twenty. One of the best and almost accidental used purchases I've ever made. And the build is top class.

I went from a Honda 2417 to the Viking M6, and 50" deck precisely to reduce the time "in the saddle", but as I outlined above...it was cutting very erratically due to the wide wheel base, and on hard and uneven ground. I can well believe that it would make the ideal mower for you though....the wide tyres, wheelbase, and weight would make it settle down nicely on "boggy" soil. Its a fine strong and comfortable mower ...I had no complaint's at all about it in that respect. The Honda is a great mower too, but I would not classify it as being as refined or as comfortable as the Viking. Just its the best machine for my circumstances.

Horses for courses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Blues14

Hi is it bad for a ride on lawnmower to but a mulcher plug in heard it might be bad for the belts?

Blues14 wrote: »
    Hi is it bad for a ride on lawnmower to but a mulcher plug in heard it might be bad for the belts?

I've always mulched,,,,,for as far back as the last 9-10 years, on Husqvarna, Viking and Honda ride on's,,,,, never had any trouble with the belts on any of them due to mulching. The belts are designed to do what they do. Old age is about the biggest cause of belt's needing replacing in my experience. Driving over debris etc. will break belts, but thats not normal usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,158 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hi guys
    has anyone got any recommendations for websites selling parts for a mountfield sp414 petrol lawnmower. i have queried a number of english sites but got no answer back or have been told they dont deliver to ireland.
    i cant seem to find any irish based parts sites.
    its about 8 years old now and it needs a few parts:
    pull cord handle
    foam air filter
    air filter lid (was run over and sliced up recently:eek:)
    new carburettor
    new spark plug.

thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jamesdeanjames

Hi all. Looking at buying a second hand ride on mower. My budget is approx 1200. I haven't a clue where to start with brands. Looked at a second half jonsered today. Anything to be wary of? I have a half acre garden so need a bit of HP. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

tom1ie wrote: »
    hi guys
    has anyone got any recommendations for websites selling parts for a mountfield sp414 petrol lawnmower. i have queried a number of english sites but got no answer back or have been told they dont deliver to ireland.
    pull cord handle
    foam air filter
    new carburettor
    new spark plug.

thanks for the help!

If its a B&S engine I find Amazon have a good many parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

I have a Craftsman T2000 for nearly 2 years, serviced regularly so far. Now about half an acre however for the last couple of cuts it cuts out after half an hour or so and I have to leave it rest for an hour before finishing it off. Always plenty of fuel in it, any idea what might be the issue?

funnyname wrote: »
    I have a Craftsman T2000 for nearly 2 years, serviced regularly so far. Now about half an acre however for the last couple of cuts it cuts out after half an hour or so and I have to leave it rest for an hour before finishing it off. Always plenty of fuel in it, any idea what might be the issue?

Obviously, something is over heating, and it's cutting out to prevent damage. Have you checked the engine oil level? The oil performs a cooling function as well as lubrication. Check it while cold in the morning... If you are unsure how to do it, just google " how to check engine oil level on a Craftsman T2000 mower" Plenty of info on the net. Is it a Briggs & Stratton Engine in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Defo going to buy a front deck lawnmower next time.

Bought a CS 2 years ago. Front wheels push grass down and then blades wont cut the flattened grass. Looks bad.

Defo going to buy a front deck lawnmower next time.

Bought a CS 2 years ago. Front wheels push grass down and then blades wont cut the flattened grass. Looks bad.

Only time that happens is if you leave it too long between cuts and cut when its too wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭funnyname

jmreire wrote: »
    Obviously, something is over heating, and it's cutting out to prevent damage. Have you checked the engine oil level? The oil performs a cooling function as well as lubrication. Check it while cold in the morning... If you are unsure how to do it, just google " how to check engine oil level on a Craftsman T2000 mower" Plenty of info on the net. Is it a Briggs & Stratton Engine in it?

Cheers, total greenhorn here, will check in the morning

Have you had the cowling off the engine to remove any grass? A good blast out with compressed air if you have a compressor is nearly as good.

hi guys
    pull cord handle
    foam air filter
    new carburettor
    new spark plug.

thanks for the help!

That mower has a Mountfield own brand engine, RS100. All the parts you require are engine parts. Practically any mower repair shop will stock the plug, filter, and the little rubber pull grip. The carb and filter cover maybe.
    Here's the parts list from Magic parts UK. They list Euro prices so they must deliver here.

https://www.magic-parts.co.uk/acatalog/Mountfield_SP414_RS100.PHP

REF 118550703/0118550703/0 AIR FILTER COVER QUANTITY 1 €5.77
    REF 118550697/0118550697/0 CARBURETTOR QUANTITY 1 €37.18
    REF 118550704/0118550704/0 FOAM AIR FILTER QUANTITY 1 PRICE €2.74
    REF 118550658/0118550658/0 SPARK PLUG [K7RTC] QUANTITY 1 €5.94

Subtotal €51.63 VAT €10.33
    Total €61.96

John McKenna in Glasnevin would have all of these when they reopen. Most hire shops also.
    http://www.johnmckenna.eu/

As mentioned, Oil level switch a possibility if it has one.
    Fuel starvation due to dirty/blocked fuel inline filter
    The same due to blocked fuel tank cap breather. (Unlikely)

hi guys
    pull cord handle
    foam air filter
    new carburettor
    new spark plug.

thanks for the help!

Parcel motel or similar is an option. They have an address in northern Ireland where you can get the parts sent to and they will forward them on to a pickup point of your home address. €7 for delivery to your house. Not sure of the pick up point prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hello - might get some helpe here which my own thread did not muster.
    I'm looking for a 18" self drive lawnmower with electric start for an elderly person.

I was looking at the Cobra MX464SPCE but that now seems to be replaced by the $84 equivalent so a 19" mower. that would also be fine, but I'd not want to get any bigger.

Where could I get one of these online at the minute? I know stocks are low with the COVID-19 lockdown.

As an alternative are the battery powered mowers a feasible choice at the minute? I'd need one with self drive.

• Advertisement

Parcel motel or similar is an option. They have an address in northern Ireland where you can get the parts sent to and they will forward them on to a pickup point of your home address. €7 for delivery to your house. Not sure of the pick up point prices.
    It's €3.95 for a reasonably large parcel under 10Kg, that fits in the locker. From €7 for outsize parcels collected at the PM depot.

Hello - might get some helpe here which my own thread did not muster.
    I'm looking for a 18" self drive lawnmower with electric start for an elderly person.

I was looking at the Cobra MX464SPCE but that now seems to be replaced by the $84 equivalent so a 19" mower. that would also be fine, but I'd not want to get any bigger.

Where could I get one of these online at the minute? I know stocks are low with the COVID-19 lockdown.

As an alternative are the battery powered mowers a feasible choice at the minute? I'd need one with self drive.

The Cobra for €525 is decent quality own brand engine, https://lawnmowershop.ie/products/pct-walk-behind-mowers/pct-key-start

This gardencare at €589, http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/GARDENCARE-LMX46SP-IS-46cm. Not cheap though.

This Snapper at €609 would be considered higher end, a bit more expensive also. https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers.html?a_brand=174%2C172&cat=297&lm4_cut=181&lm6_price=147%2C149%2C150

This Hyundai/Prolawn at €319 from Woodie's is the lowest price electric start by a mile, but bigger 53cm/21" cut might be too big for your needs. https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rayc3139

Good evening, I’m thinking about getting a Ride on more. I had my eye on a Stiga last September from Agrieuro but they seem to have stopped delivering to Ireland. Looks like Stiga are still available from the German Agrieuro. Has anyone on the tread ever ordered from the German Agrieuro site and got delivered to Ireland. Also noticed the price s gone quite a bit since last September

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

I know there are wheeled strimmers you can push. Are there self-drive trimmers for rough grass, weeds, low gorse, with 2" or 3" height like self-drive lawnmowers which you can just walk behind without heaving its weight up hills ? Google for self-propelled and all I get are lawnmowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,107 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The Cobra for €525 is decent quality own brand engine, https://lawnmowershop.ie/products/pct-walk-behind-mowers/pct-key-start

This gardencare at €589, http://www.jdslawnmowers.ie/GARDENCARE-LMX46SP-IS-46cm. Not cheap though.

This Snapper at €609 would be considered higher end, a bit more expensive also. https://www.gardenmachinery.ie/lawn-mowers.html?a_brand=174%2C172&cat=297&lm4_cut=181&lm6_price=147%2C149%2C150

This Hyundai/Prolawn at €319 from Woodie's is the lowest price electric start by a mile, but bigger 53cm/21" cut might be too big for your needs. https://www.woodies.ie/pro-lawn-53cm-self-propelled-electric-start-hyundai-lawnmower-1168768

Cobra UK have a deal on their 484spce which including the delivery to ni is good value.

Cobra UK have a deal on their 484spce which including the delivery to ni is good value.

For £299 it's a great deal, though out of stock everywhere.

Add this Weibang for €599 to the list of higher end brands. https://www.fitzhire.ie/home/623-weibang-wb456scve-3in1-electric-start-mower.html

Sysmod wrote: »
    I know there are wheeled strimmers you can push. Are there self-drive trimmers for rough grass, weeds, low gorse, with 2" or 3" height like self-drive lawnmowers which you can just walk behind without heaving its weight up hills ? Google for self-propelled and all I get are lawnmowers.

https://www.agrieuro.co.uk/wheeled-strimmers-trimmer-mowers-c-285.html#tech314=Self-propelled

Not cheap.

I reckon that knock down pric3 Cobra is a special buy, that's almost certainly the same Hyundai engine as is in the Woodie's offering. Takes a look

512714.jpg
    512716.jpg

There's a big list of ROI dealers on the Cobra UK site, but I doubt you'll fnd one selling that machine, it would completely undermine the market point of their other models.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sysmod wrote: »

IMO a self propelled strimmer is way to expensive for what it does.
    Strimming has it's uses around edges or to attack some lone clumps of rough stuff that the lawnmower shied away from.
    But trying to control a whole area is asking a bit much from a piece of string - self driven or not.

Depending on how big and rough your area is I'd either recommend a good regular mower + a decent ordinary strimmer for cleanup on a small-ish site or go the whole hog and buy a brushcutter / brush mower / high grass mower with a blade instead of a string

Our house stands on one acre of field, with some grass, lots of brambles and slough bushes. All of that on a slope.

I'm on my second type of allmower from this crowd
    https://www.as-motor.com/variant/allmaehers/

I had an AS 26 for 10 years and am approaching 10 years on an AS 65 2T.
    These yokes cut grass well enough to give you a useable "working" lawn (ours is mostly dog run) but it will never be show quality.
    On the other hand they eat rushes, nettles, brambles and saplings up to an inch or more for breakfast. Dry grass of over 1m high, wet about half that.

These yokes aren't cheap, but very good quality and will last forever. I never had any serious defects with mine in all those years.
    Spending that kind of money only makes sense though if you have the use for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Only time that happens is if you leave it too long between cuts and cut when its too wet.

Cut every 5 days and never cut when wet.

Advertisement