Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you really need Tommy just for Belfast and Vincent for the rest of NI - i mean how much news actually happens outside Belfast

I think Tommie is the NI editor and Vincent is the correspondent.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Lotta sweeping generalisations in previous posts .....RTE do good public service broadcasting ..Elections / Weather Events / Coronavirus / Major international events etc.

To say otherwise is rubbish...and the listnership figures would appear to back this up.

Elections: same old tired talking heads and political has-beens. Mary O'Rourke must have been living there during the election.
    RTE news pushes Government policy and press releases without critical analysis.

Weather Events: getting a reporter to stand in wellies in a flood is hardly ground-breaking, and is done more for entertainment value. Local radio, social media etc are just as effective for sharing relevant real time information.

Coronavirus: Government mouthpiece. Proper critical debate silenced. UK and USA constantly demonised. No criticism of the WHO allowed.

Major international events? Seriously? This is where RTE is weakest. Usually just recycles footage from other sources and often ignore stories until other networks are covering them.

It is no longer 1963, and we are spoiled for choice for other media sources. We should no longer depend on RTE the way we once did.

Elections: same old tired talking heads and political has-beens. Mary O'Rourke must have been living there during the election.
    RTE news pushes Government policy and press releases without critical analysis.

Weather Events: getting a reporter to stand in wellies in a flood is hardly ground-breaking, and is done more for entertainment value. Local radio, social media etc are just as effective for sharing relevant real time information.

Coronavirus: Government mouthpiece. Proper critical debate silenced. UK and USA constantly demonised. No criticism of the WHO allowed.

Major international events? Seriously? This is where RTE is weakest. Usually just recycles footage from other sources and often ignore stories until other networks are covering them.

It is no longer 1963, and we are spoiled for choice for other media sources. We should no longer depend on RTE the way we once did.

Yes, whatever suits RTEs agenda is what they will transmit, for instance, the continuous anti trump rhetoric, only interview anti trump people, democrats etc, make sure not to interview anyone who has anything positive to say about trump and dare not speak anything true if it's positive about trump.

Brainwashing, say it often enough and People will believe it.

RTE will go along with what's popular opinion whether it's right or wrong.

As I pointed out in a previous post, when the footballers were found not Guilty of Rape, RTE's Prime time had Feminists on telling everyone it was a bad day for Women, an absolute disgrace because anyone with half a brain would know if following the case that there was shameful behaviour by both parties, but no one to point this out was interviewed, shocking organisation RTE have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bossdrum

Juliet Gash!

Juliet Gash was recently enough on Today fm.
    Niamh Lyons was on the Times Ireland until they folded.
    Mary Regan from some newspaper recently enough (also married to Paul O'Flynn - RTE news presenter and associate lecturer in DCU:eek:)

Why were all these hired when RTE were looking for redundancies not so long ago.
    Why are they paying out (no doubt) generous redundancy packages then starting the problem again with new recruits?

RTE seems to be the holy grail of where journalists want to work even though it runs at a constant loss. Unfortunately its because they know the taxpayer will always pony up more funds with little questioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Buck_rodgers

RTE is going nowhere, don't get your hopes up, its a inoperable tumor dug in to deep to be removed, they know where the bodies are buried

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What are your other sources for news about Ireland?

Doesn't seem to be much out there TV wise (Sky News?).
    Newspapers are having a hard time of it. Most of the newspaper sites are pay-walled and have their own "biases" and concentrations of ownership of course. Radio might be a bit better (?).

So that leaves the wonderful web...
    I suppose I can see the attraction of an RTE free media landscape in Ireland now. Should be heaven for the likes of anti vaxxers, conspiracy theory "experts" and the assorted fruits and nuts from the extreme right and left ends of the political spectrum that agitate regularly on here for their favourite poison.

I'd say we'd end up circling the same drain as the US very quickly.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    What are your other sources for news about Ireland?

Doesn't seem to be much out there TV wise (Sky News?).
    Newspapers are having a hard time of it. Most of the newspaper sites are pay-walled and have their own "biases" and concentrations of ownership of course. Radio might be a bit better (?).

So that leaves the wonderful web...
    I suppose I can see the attraction of an RTE free media landscape in Ireland now. Should be heaven for the likes of anti vaxxers, conspiracy theory "experts" and the assorted fruits and nuts from the extreme right and left ends of the political spectrum that agitate regularly on here for their favourite poison.

I'd say we'd end up circling the same drain as the US very quickly.

Here is the truth , you are insignificant, you cannot alter the course of the nation, the powers that be care not what you think, they have their plans and will carry them out regardless of what you think.
    Pay no attention to the news. its going to happen one way or another, nothing you can do about it.
    You should take notice of what is happening in your local news/area. Get involved in local issues, here you can make a difference, on a nationwide, EU and world wide level, you are a nobody, money talks are you do not have it.
    Accept it and make your local community better , the big picture is out of your control, so don't get worked up about it

Here is the truth , you are insignificant, you cannot alter the course of the nation, the powers that be care not what you think, they have their plans and will carry them out regardless of what you think.
    Pay no attention to the news. its going to happen one way or another, nothing you can do about it.
    You should take notice of what is happening in your local news/area. Get involved in local issues, here you can make a difference, on a nationwide, EU and world wide level, you are a nobody, money talks are you do not have it.
    Accept it and make your local community better , the big picture is out of your control, so don't get worked up about it

That little life lesson/word to the wise does not seem to follow from that post:confused:...did I annoy you at some point in the past?

Was it the implied criticism of the US "infotainment" type media that riled you given how you tried to spell tumour?

What are the benefits as you see it of excising the "tumor" of RTE?

fly_agaric wrote: »
    That little life lesson/word to the wise does not seem to follow from that post:confused:...did I annoy you at some point in the past?

Was it the implied criticism of the US "infotainment" type media that riled you given how you tried to spell tumour?

What are the benefits as you see it of excising the "tumor" of RTE?

No offence was intended, was not a personal attack.
    Between auto correct and a dodgy keyboard typing is not in the queens English.
    A few years ago IMF came into Ireland, i got a phone call from Brother on continent,1 hour ahead of Ireland, "main story on the news, what is going on?" well i dont know brother, i'll get the 6:01 news and phone you back.
    Roll on the 6:01 news and not a word about the IMF, switch to Sky News and it is top story, i learned that day that RTE is nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Irish government.
    The powers that be tell us RT news is Russian propaganda
    Why should any other new organisation like the BBC be any different?
    So i now care not for the news fed to me by the government, i just concern myself with local news i can verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,543 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Story in tomorrows Sunday Business Post about RTE making a €12million offer for stake in Maximum, that was Joe.ie and Her.ie, jesus fooking wept if that is true what in the jaysus are they doing in control of that level of licence payers money to blow on dumb ass arsehole projects...

EYt4fg7WsAcGOx4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,326 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think no matter what country you live in the main news channels are always skewed one way or another (for whatever reason) in some of their reporting

Story in tomorrows Sunday Business Post about RTE making a €12million offer for stake in Maximum, that was Joe.ie and Her.ie, jesus fooking wept if that is true what in the jaysus are they doing in control of that level of licence payers money to blow on dumb ass arsehole projects...

So they're not broke then - taking the piss if true

EYt4fg7WsAcGOx4.jpg

Bailing out a member of the golden circle, we are not in it and and those in it don't care about the optics.
    Lets be honest for less than €12million RTE could create a top of the range website, so this is nothing more than a bail out for a member of the golden circle, a Feffing disgrace
    Not complete control, but a stake, what are we getting for our tax money 20%?

Bailing out a member of the golden circle, we are not in it and and those in it don't care about the optics.
    Lets be honest for less than €12million RTE could create a top of the range website, so this is nothing more than a bail out for a member of the golden circle, a Feffing disgrace
    Not complete control, but a stake, what are we getting for our tax money 20%?

Or....you know...build a player that actually works (oh wait they spent that much on it already)

M

Or....you know...build a player that actually works (oh wait they spent that much on it already)

I've been doing research on the Player the last 3 weeks, I have discovered that it being completely the biggest load of fooking sh!t ever released on the world is nothing whatsover to do with network problems, it's purely down to the adverts on it. If you "obtain" the ad free version it works like a Swiss clock and I'm loving it so to speak :D

These are the small things that add up and anger the population who pay taxes, the rich only exist because the lower classes are content with their life, once the lower classes get angry we get the French and Russian revolutions.
    The 1920's started with a plague, then a depression, then the rise of populism
    The 2020's are staring out the same...

I've been doing research on the Player the last 3 weeks, I have discovered that it being completely the biggest load of fooking sh!t ever released on the world is nothing whatsover to do with network problems, it's purely down to the adverts on it. If you "obtain" the ad free version it works like a Swiss clock and I'm loving it so to speak :D

Sky news works flawless on Youtube.
    Why cant we have RTE on Youtube with Geo location restrictions?
    Could be done for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated streaming service

"obtain" the ad free version - are we talking not using the RTE website...if so then that is not the player

Sky news works flawless on Youtube.
    Why cant we have RTE on Youtube with Geo location restrictions?
    Could be done for a fraction of the cost of a dedicated streaming service

Then how will they justify giving Johnny (cousin of the daughter of the wife of...) millions of euros

If you check the HTML of the player it does say Made in China on the player

M

"obtain" the ad free version - are we talking not using the RTE website...if so then that is not the player

An earlier version of the Player.

• Advertisement

An earlier version of the Player.

Tell me more (but that was crap as well)

Here we go simple money saving ideas for RTE.
    First shift start at 6am read the news for radio and TV until Lunch, off home at 13.45, nice handy day.
    Second shift starts at 13:45, start reading news at 14:00 for radio and TV finish after 21:00 news at 22:00 handy days work.
    Just repeat the 21:00 news all night on radio till 6am and fresh news cycle restarts.
    Work early one week and late the next
    The line would be out the door for these jobs, 40k a year for fucx all.

Any other money saving ideas for Dee Forbes, post them here, together we can save RTE millions

M

Any other money saving ideas for Dee Forbes, post them here, together we can save RTE millions

Not having an actor brought in for Liveline to read emails received from 'teachers'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Scrap the player, use youtube instead. Then region block their content (meaning nobody outside of IReland can view it) and they have a cheap, reliable server. RTE already post stuff up there. And it's easier to access than the player.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Seriously, how fcuked up are RTÉ and their schedules......

Sunday morning. 9.38am, just turned on the TV and RTÉ 1 was on, and low and behold, that cheerful Sunday morning show Casualty was on!!
    The scene was a girl beside a bed crying, because the guy in the bed had just tried to kill himself!!

Sunday Morning, in the middle of a Pandemic;

Keep it lighthearted eh??

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Sac O Spuds

And now on RTE1 we have a repeat of Nationwide with that lovely redhead gaeilgoir- the same one who's taking a sexual harassment/ assault case against RTE. An incident which supposedly happened 20 yrs ago and the alleged assailant is now deceased.
    I'd say RTE are sorry now they made Mary Kennedy retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I have begun to notice how patchy the news offering online from RTE is. I’m not talking specifically about RTE News Now; I have a smart home thingy now which you can programme to tell you what the weather, commute time and news etc. So I get it to give me the news headlines on the Beeb and RTÉ

It’s noticeable that when I wake up, around 6 am, the BBC headlines are usually timed around 4.15 am (give or take) but the RTÉ one varies from, say, 6pm or 8pm the evening before. Monday morning was particularly lackadaisical: the report was from Sunday morning, 1140 IIRC.

I wonder why?

I just asked my Google Home for the headlines. The RTE update was from 1445 in Friday. The DW one (which includes video) was 2 hours old.

First shift start at 6am read the news for radio and TV until Lunch, off home at 13.45, nice handy day.
    Second shift starts at 13:45, start reading news at 14:00 for radio and TV finish after 21:00 news at 22:00 handy days work.
    Just repeat the 21:00 news all night on radio till 6am and fresh news cycle restarts.
    Work early one week and late the next
    The line would be out the door for these jobs, 40k a year for fucx all.

I made the point a few posts ago that the RTE news online is pretty woeful - in terms of its being up to date - and it was pointed out that the BBC can keep it current because they have the World Service, which I understand

But how can RTE be so lackadaisical that when I listened to the news this morning, the Beeb was from around 4 am today, but the RTE news was from Friday at 1409? Surely, there’s someone in the newsroom who could record a summary three or four times a day, in between tv and radio broadcasts

No offence was intended, was not a personal attack.

That seemed sort of personal, but if it was not intended fair enough.
    I do take an interest in politics internationally etc. I fully realise that it is a spectator sport in most ways and what joe bloggs thinks and feels about it all is almost irrelevant. Tagline of the politics forum they have on this site is "discussing how others rule the world".
    A few years ago IMF came into Ireland, i got a phone call from Brother on continent,1 hour ahead of Ireland, "main story on the news, what is going on?" well i dont know brother, i'll get the 6:01 news and phone you back.
    Roll on the 6:01 news and not a word about the IMF, switch to Sky News and it is top story, i learned that day that RTE is nothing more than a propaganda arm of the Irish government.
    The powers that be tell us RT news is Russian propaganda
    Why should any other new organisation like the BBC be any different?
    So i now care not for the news fed to me by the government, i just concern myself with local news i can verify.

Yes RTE is a state broadcaster, as is the BBC but to make equivalence with Russia Today/RT is not fair. Unless you have become so cynical that you believe the country is not really a democracy? It is exactly the same as Russia, so there's no point voting, no point in paying attention to any news media (above a parish newsletter??) because it is all just lies told in the service of the state, or some other interest depending on who owns the media in question etc.
    I can't agree with that.

I think I remember the question being put by RTE in the run up to the bailout (what exactly is going on here, will the IMF be coming in to Ireland with a "programme" etc) + they were brushed off and not answered by the govt of the day (until it all came out in the wash).

I'm not sure if you are right it was confirmed from outside first, but I have seen that effect in some other news stories (a clearer view given from outside, or stories picked up externally that have an omerta over them locally). I have seen this apply to the Independent/Irish Times (i.e. local commercial news media) vs stories that are run in the Sunday Times (UK) so it is not a problem exclusive to RTE.

As above I'd see one of RTE's key roles as telling us what going on in Ireland + about the internal politics here. Foreign institutions deciding the fate of the whole country from a high perch in an extraordinary situation falls a bit outside that.

IMO people do need some relatively trustworthy information sources looking a bit wider than just their own parish/local community if they are to participate in democracy. Does RTE have bias - yes. Main one is deference to the govt. of the day (regardless of political persuasion of that govt.) because they always hold the purse strings.

Getting rid of it completely as advocated by many posters in the thread would not help the situation. I'd expect the vacuum left to be quickly filled by something worse than RTE.

• Advertisement

I'd say RTE are sorry now they made Mary Kennedy retire.

I’m sorry they made Mary Kennedy retire!

Advertisement