Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

...Vinny used to have a show at 2200 RTÉ 1 radio...

That’s what I was told anyway, may not be true, but the Dana interview seems kind of similar.

I assume that interview was from that show, late debate replaced the show and then he moved to TV3... he had had a show on 98FM prior to his RTÉ

He was one of RTÉ top earns back in 2003 AFAIK 200,000 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    I assume that interview was from that show, late debate replaced the show and then he moved to TV3... he had had a show on 98FM prior to his RTÉ

He was one of RTÉ top earns back in 2003 AFAIK 200,000 euros

There's a 3 minute clip of that interview on youtube. The quality isn't great tho, I think someone recorded it onto a cassette player or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

Absolutely discussing that Rte are looking for another cash injection from the government along with the CIE companies and DAA.
    I can sort of understand CIE and DAA but RTE a big no.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,187 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

bigroad wrote: »
    Absolutely discussing that Rte are looking for another cash injection from the government along with the CIE companies and DAA.
    I can sort of understand CIE and DAA but RTE a big no.

Why can’t u understand the DAA.

Place has been booming for the last 4 years.Packed to the rafters!

I can’t understand it.......enlighten me bro?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

Actually made a grave mistake earlier ,none of them should get a penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

bigroad wrote: »
    Actually made a grave mistake earlier ,none of them should get a penny.

Fair play for coming clean poster ...this bothers me greatly too.

The point the lad Bendar made about the DAA is a valid one....last four or five years of continual expansion vastly increased passenger numbers and increased aircraft movements.

Surely companies like DAA which in fairness has a reputation of being well run build in some reserves in case of sudden downturns.

The travel industry can be hit very quickly by items such as the pandemic,weather related conditions, and civil and industrial unrest...some of which they may have no control over.

For such companies surely they should have in place contingencies to cover such items instead of crying for a bailout at the first opportunity.

In the case of RTE not a penny should they get extra until they submit to a root and branch review of all salaries and conditions particularly at senior levels and especially that of their so called stars. !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

In the case of all three organisations they are 100% State owned and they have remits as essential services.
    It is up to them to make a case to Government for funding providing all necessary accounts and information required.

At the end of the day there is only one shareholder ie. the citizens of Ireland and it is up to the Government to decide how much if any subvention should be given to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Not defending it but I can see the managements line of thought. If they are turning profits it's all well and good being responsible and saving it away for a rainy day but you need to be seen to be constantly spending and saving and doing well and padding out your cv with big visable projects, and if you dont spend your allowance annually you wont be getting as much next year. Also there could be elements of when people take over roles and find the cupboards are bare they arent going to be likely to make unpopular cost cutting measures and resist the urge to spend just so the guy that comes along next can raid the warchest and take all the glory

For some reason I was glued to the Riordans documentary, something I never knew but often heard the older folk talk about, it ended before I was born.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

elperello wrote: »
    In the case of all three organisations they are 100% State owned and they have remits as essential services.
    It is up to them to make a case to Government for funding providing all necessary accounts and information required.

At the end of the day there is only one shareholder ie. the citizens of Ireland and it is up to the Government to decide how much if any subvention should be given to them.

Don't quite "get" that post my friend ...I'm sure the fault is mine.

Nobody is disputing that the companies are state owned

Neither are they saying that they are not essential services .

Everybody agrees that it is up to the Government to decide on what subvention if any to award these companies ?

So I guess I am missing whatever point you were putting forward ?

The thrust of the recent posts was that these companies need to manage their finances to take into account "bumps in the road" and have contingency in place and not be bleating for tax payer bail out at the first opportunity.

In the case of RTE the level of salaries paid to their so called "Stars" is nothing short of scandalous and I am at loss to understand how this has been allowed to continue for so long.

• Advertisement

I have begun to notice how patchy the news offering online from RTE is. I’m not talking specifically about RTE News Now; I have a smart home thingy now which you can programme to tell you what the weather, commute time and news etc. So I get it to give me the news headlines on the Beeb and RTÉ

It’s noticeable that when I wake up, around 6 am, the BBC headlines are usually timed around 4.15 am (give or take) but the RTÉ one varies from, say, 6pm or 8pm the evening before. Monday morning was particularly lackadaisical: the report was from Sunday morning, 1140 IIRC.

I wonder why?

I have begun to notice how patchy the news offering online from RTE is. I’m not talking specifically about RTE News Now; I have a smart home thingy now which you can programme to tell you what the weather, commute time and news etc. So I get it to give me the news headlines on the Beeb and RTÉ

It’s noticeable that when I wake up, around 6 am, the BBC headlines are usually timed around 4.15 am (give or take) but the RTÉ one varies from, say, 6pm or 8pm the evening before. Monday morning was particularly lackadaisical: the report was from Sunday morning, 1140 IIRC.

I wonder why?

BBC world Service........in a nutshell

Much more oriented to world wide news than ,in fairness, RTE would be.

No excuse for sloppy stuff though.

Has this always been the case or just recently?

Has this always been the case or just recently?

TBH I’m not sure, have only had the gizmo a few weeks.

BBC world Service........in a nutshell

Much more oriented to world wide news than ,in fairness, RTE would be.

No excuse for sloppy stuff though.

Ah, maybe so, but the BBC news headlines are specifically about what’s going on in the UK (well, mostly)

Ah, maybe so, but the BBC news headlines are specifically about what’s going on in the UK (well, mostly)

Indeed but they have news rooms well staffed 24/7 .

BBC R4 operates up to midnight, switches to World Service and 4 comes back again around 0530.

RTE would have one or two and the station cat purring in a basket in the newsroom.

Don't quite "get" that post my friend ...I'm sure the fault is mine.

Nobody is disputing that the companies are state owned

Neither are they saying that they are not essential services .

Everybody agrees that it is up to the Government to decide on what subvention if any to award these companies ?

So I guess I am missing whatever point you were putting forward ?

The thrust of the recent posts was that these companies need to manage their finances to take into account "bumps in the road" and have contingency in place and not be bleating for tax payer bail out at the first opportunity.

In the case of RTE the level of salaries paid to their so called "Stars" is nothing short of scandalous and I am at loss to understand how this has been allowed to continue for so long.

That's ok not to worry.

My point was simply that the companies in question are state owned and essential services which we appear to be agreed on.

Where I would take issue with you is in describing the current situation as a "bump in the road". It would be hard for any organisation to respond to the C19 crisis without recourse to extra funding. Many organisations both public and private are currently looking for funding from the state coffers.

As the DAA and CIE are in the transport business it's probably best to confine ourselves to RTE for the purposes of this thread.

Unfortunately there is no pot of gold at the end of the "stars salaries" rainbow. Most of the high earners have contracts and until they are renewed savings will not be available there. Any cuts to staff salaries would be in the context of cuts in the broader public service if the Government decides to take that route.

In view of the forthcoming Broadcasting Commission which I hope will address all matters relating to RTE funding I think it would be best for the Government to supply emergency funding. This would allow RTE to continue to fulfill it's vital public service remit during the crisis and leave the final reckoning to calmer times.

Unfortunately there is no pot of gold at the end of the "stars salaries" rainbow. Most of the high earners have contracts and until they are renewed savings will not be available there. Any cuts to staff salaries would be in the context of cuts in the broader public service if the Government decides to take that route.

In view of the forthcoming Broadcasting Commission which I hope will address all matters relating to RTE funding I think it would be best for the Government to supply emergency funding. This would allow RTE to continue to fulfill it's vital public service remit during the crisis and leave the final reckoning to calmer times.

How many Commission have there been, there was one only 3 years ago and the government failed to act on it.

In relation to star salaries, RTÉ are in a crisis like the rest of us, I am sure those on excellent wages might consider them.

How many Commission have there been, there was one only 3 years ago and the government failed to act on it.

In relation to star salaries, RTÉ are in a crisis like the rest of us, I am sure those on excellent wages might consider them.

I don't know but I hope when things settle down that the incoming Minister gets on with it.

I have the first draft of my submission prepared. I believe Public Service Broadcasting is too important to be left to wither on the vine.

Regarding your point on stars salaries there is nothing to prevent employees taking voluntary cuts but I expect such altruism is unlikely to materialise :).

I have the first draft of my submission prepared. I believe Public Service Broadcasting is too important to be left to wither on the vine.

Might dust down my submission :)

• Advertisement

Might dust down my submission :)

Never waste a crisis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭iseegirls

DIY SOS moving to RTE2 next Thursday, from Virgin Media.

Excellent - now we're paying our Licence Fee to watch DIY SOS and The Great British Bake Off on Thursday evenings

iseegirls wrote: »
    DIY SOS moving to RTE2 next Thursday, from Virgin Media.

Excellent - now we're paying our Licence Fee to watch DIY SOS and The Great British Bake Off on Thursday evenings

Is that not the Irish one-the one with Baz Ashmawy?

Is that not the Irish one-the one with Baz Ashmawy?

Most likely the Irish version will air on RTÉ ONE I can't imagine that RTÉ will show many original shows on RTÉ2 for the foreseeable future.

No, it's defensively the British DIY series.

RTE2 next Thursday:
    7:00pm DIY SOS
    Season 29 Episode 1 of 5

8:10pm The Great British Bake Off
    Season 2016 Episode 1 of 11

iseegirls wrote: »
    defensively

RTÉ will definitely defend buying in home improvement shows from England!

RTÉ will definitely defend buying in home improvement shows from England!

:D Typo, or was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

It makes me sick paying this licence fee every year and with the exception of the Christmas show that my kids watch on RTE player (There usually board after a few mins) and we could live without it.

Myself or family do not watch RTE do not have an interest in RTE and do not have access to there service on my TV and I do not want my hard earned money going toward it or subsidizing people who want to watch it - if people want to watch it there should be some method to let them pay for it and leave the ones who have no interest in it not to pay.

For all its worth I will be lobbying my TD this year about this.

I remember Pat Rabbitte was one of the few politicians to call out RTE on their crap programming (home produced stuff, as well as certain services).

He went from 'media darling' to 'media outcast' very quickly after that.

• Advertisement

I remember Pat Rabbitte was one of the few politicians to call out RTE on their crap programming (home produced stuff, as well as certain services).

He went from 'media darling' to 'media outcast' very quickly after that.

Worst Minister for comms. Seriously he couldn't even make a decision on removing children's programming from RTÉ2 (Yes under the act they have to ask). He over saw the slow role out of DTT which had started with Eamon Ryan (who might be the second worst).

Pat Rabbitte is media loved up in the SBP. A very angry man.

Advertisement